Texas recruiting notes 2019

37 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Wilson, Leal, Mowry, Roberson, Geen & Bragg are "bummers". I'm sure this list will change as the HS season plays out.

Ā 

Guys like Carter and Brooks would be on that list from on field talent but seems to be a lot more going on with those 2. Mowry and Green have ag pajamas. Leal gave us a shot and we did not connect, Brewster reminded him of why he was an aggie lean. Bragg's mom seems to have that tigermom in her dna. Wilson sucked because he is local and used some strong words on his way out. I would have thought Roberson would have been offered but our staff sent him to ou jr day without an offer and he committed.Ā 

What were the strong words from wilson?

Edited by Not a Sock

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

itā€™s a valid concern. Ā hopefully it fucking changes, and fast.Ā 

Agreed, because he's definitely thinking of guys that played under the current staff. So those guys he's thinking of are super relevant.

What's relevant is that he knows Meyer's staff can develop him into a star because that's been proven. Talking about how Texas doesn't develop players as if late-era Mack Brown has anything to do with how he'd be developed is asinine.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Agreed, because he's definitely thinking of guys that played under the current staff. So those guys he's thinking of are super relevant.

What's relevant is that he knows Meyer's staff can develop him into a star because that's been proven. Talking about how Texas doesn't develop players as if late-era Mack Brown has anything to do with how he'd be developed is asinine.

it was brought up here not a day ago that georgia has spit out four 1st round LBs in the last few years and our 5-star canā€™t-miss dude went round 3. Ā yeah tom will hopefully get guys to flourish here but texas players have underachieved since 2009. Ā youā€™re asinine.Ā 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

itā€™s a valid concern. Ā hopefully it fucking changes, and fast.Ā 

Yeah, I was out of line in saying that. Iā€™m sure he did not use the same tone I heard in my head. That tone pissed me off. What do I do when people piss me off? I call them a pussy. I apologize.

1 hour ago, Mano Cornuda said:

"In the end, Iā€™ve watched a lot of people go to Texas with a ton of ability and maybe not achieve what I thought they could. I didnā€™t want to be one of those guys.ā€

Which has nothing to do with the current coaching staff.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, thepop said:

Let me translate. Texas has not won a lot of games recently, Ohio State has. It's not absurd for a player to choose the program that has done better in recent years. Not to mention the pile of garbage the offense was last year.

Yep, the last sentence is key. The current staff had a chance to show him things are different now.

9 minutes ago, thepop said:

Let me translate. Texas has not won a lot of games recently, Ohio State has. It's not absurd for a player to choose the program that has done better in recent years. Not to mention the pile of garbage the offense was last year.

I don't think anyone is blaming the kid for pickingĀ the team with more recent success. Ā The issue is withĀ taking an unnecessaryĀ shot at UT in doing so - particularly when a portionĀ of OSU's recent success can be attributed to the coach now at UT. Ā  It kind of made him look like a bitch - which he may or may not be. Ā But now we're left wondering. Ā 

I donā€™t think itā€™s really a shot and saying he looked like a bitch is ridiculous.Ā I think he really liked UT and was being brutally honest, similar to how we criticize our own program all the time. And the things we say are often worse.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That is fucking awesome. This woman is seriously going to end up being an ambassador for us for 4 fucking years. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up hiring her at some point.Ā 

Ambassador of Middle-Aged Social Media!

<SOLID>

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

^^ Beat me to it.

And I may regret buzz posting about a topic that I may not know about, but I don't exactly recall OSU being WRU in recent years.

But Urban Meyer did coach Aaron Hernandez upĀ into a killer on the outside.Ā 

• Like 2

EJ after dark: New Crystal Ball pick in for Texas

ā€” I put in a new Crystal Ball pick for four-star Punahou (HI) inside linebacker Maninoa Tufono to land at Texas. Like we reported last week, Texas has been surging in this recruitment, and we have reason to believe the Longhorns are now in the pole position. UT will host Tufono for an official visit this fall/winter and with a big season, it wouldnā€™t be surprising to see the Longhorns close the deal. Iā€™m toldĀ Todd OrlandoĀ and Jake Langi, who has strong Polynesian ties, have done a tremendous job recruiting Tufono and his family and that they have bought into the program.

ā€” So what do numbers look like at the linebacker position? Right now, UT has a pair of commits in Deā€™Gabriel Floyd and Marcus Tillman Jr., but the Longhorns are only about halfway done here. From what I have been able to gather, Texas has two more spots but could go to three for the right guy. Linebacker is a premium position with the lack of talent across the region not only this cycle but in the 2020 class as well.

ā€” Four-star Wekiva (Fla.) outside linebacker Rian Davis made a verbal commitment to Georgia this weekend, but donā€™t expect Texas to give up. The Longhorns are going to continue to keep in touch with Davis and push to get him on campus in the fall/winter. Texas has tried to sell early playing time and depth chart, but Davis fell in love with his visit to Georgia this weekend, loves the idea of playing in the SEC and is obviously impressed with the programā€™s on the field results. This one will be an extremely tough flip.

ā€” Four-star Katy Cinco Ranch inside linebacker David Gbenda didnā€™t end up visiting anywhere this weekend. Iā€™ve changed my Crystal Ball to foggy twice now and will not move it until I have a really good idea of where he is going to land. Right now, I still believe Texas and TCU are the favorites. Expect UT to squeeze him after the dead period. I just donā€™t buy this one lasting all the way until December.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Iā€™m toldĀ Todd OrlandoĀ and Jake Langi, whoļ»æĀ ļ»æhas strongļ»æĀ Polynesianļ»æļ»æĀ ļ»ætieļ»æsļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ,ļ»æļ»æĀ have done a tremendous job recruiting Tufonoļ»æļ»æĀ and his family and that they have bought into theĀ ļ»æprogramļ»æļ»æ."

EJ has to read this thread and is fucking with us.Ā 

10 hours ago, Mano Cornuda said:

"In the end, Iā€™ve watched a lot of people go to Texas with a ton of ability and maybe not achieve what I thought they could. I didnā€™t want to be one of those guys.ā€

This is something that Herman and his staff have had to acknowledge with these kids, because they know it's what they're being told by the other schools. It's something I and many of you haveĀ accepted also. It holds its truths, but it's a different regime. That's not a reflection of Herman and his staff, but at the same time, they really have no sample-size in comparison, so you understand a kid wanting to go somewhere where the sample size is big and showsĀ favorable.

Ā 

What Herman and Co have to do is sell these kids on THEMSELVES being the reason they'll be successful, not Urban.. Saban.. David Shaw....(okay maybe David Shaw can get them a little more pro-ready),Ā not Herman himself. Ā IF they're really that damn good, they'll find their way to success, and "achieve what you think they could" just playing within the system the coaches run.

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

This is something that Herman and his staff have had to acknowledge with these kids, because they know it's what they're being told by the other schools. It's something I and many of you haveĀ accepted also. It holds its truths, but it's a different regime. That's not a reflection of Herman and his staff, but at the same time, they really have no sample-size in comparison, so you understand a kid wanting to go somewhere where the sample size is big and showsĀ favorable.

Ā 

What Herman and Co have to do is sell these kids on THEMSELVES being the reason they'll be successful, not Urban.. Saban.. David Shaw....(okay maybe David Shaw can get them a little more pro-ready),Ā not Herman himself. Ā IF they're really that damn good, they'll find their way to success, and "achieve what you think they could" just playing within the system the coaches run.

Ā 

Ā 

This.Ā  I don't think he is a bitch for saying it.Ā  I think most kids say something like, "I just connected better with X team" or "X team felt like family.Ā  This kid is worried about his future.Ā  He clearly could have not said anything at all.Ā  I wish he had not said anything negative about Texas if he was going to go somewhere else but I can't blame him for saying what he said.Ā Ā  The way to correct all of this is for us to win and put players in the NFL.

I'm sure it has been discussed in this 319 page thread but exactly how many spots do we have to offer?

8 hours ago, thepop said:

And the things we say are often worse.

I hear what you're saying. But I'd like to think my UT degree gives me some leeway in being honest about a place to which I've already devoted a lot of time and money...as a customer. A kid still in high school isn't there yet.Ā Ā 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I hear what you're saying. But I'd like to think my UT degree gives me some leeway in being honest about a place to which I've already devoted a lot of time and money...as a customer. A kid still in high school isn't there yet.Ā Ā 

That kid doesn't owe Tom Herman or UT a damn thing and he is making a business decision about hisĀ life using the facts that are on the table. He probably didn't realize the backlash the comment would cause, but it wasn't false.

• Like 1

On Wilson -- the quote in question is directly out of tOSUs staff's maw. issued verbatim. You can always tell when a kid has his own quotes and thoughts vs. the recruiting language and this was clearly directly from Meyer and his staff. It wasn't some moment of clarity or the kid keeping it 100. It was a kid spewing the recruiting rhetoric that he'd heard from the school that he was always headed to.Ā WilsonĀ talked shit about UT during a training session with Chux as well. Not to mention hisĀ additional poisoning of the well with Higgins who already struggles with his severeĀ butthurtitis. I'mĀ 100% with Tex Pete on this one, fuck that guy.Ā Ā 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mano Cornuda said:

Well that's fair.

Herman has to turn that around.

• Like 1