Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Top 5 is not happening without some sort of playoff season. Top 10 is reasonable.
Even with a playoff season, too many higher ranked players are locked into paym..err..I mean "committed" to the school they'll actually sign with, especially the in-state guys.

17 hours ago, Constant said:

A quick jaunt down Texas’ roster shows a lot of Communication & Leadership and Youth & Community studies majors. Not sure why y’all get so uppity about this topic as if Texas is any different when it comes to athletes. 

Because you touch yourself at night 

1 hour ago, joeycovers said:

Tenn? Am I missing something? Of all the teams you name them? They have no chance of finishing top 5 . 0

What I am saying is that we can poach recruits from Tennessee or LSU if recruits fear that their coaches are leaving. Both those programs have guys that we want and those guys have some interest in Texas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

Derrian Brown's hudl video reminds me a lot of Ronald "Don't call me Roland" Jones II.  This would be a good pickup.  

Just watched his video for the 1st time.  Certainly not elite speed or quickness for a highly recruited player, but he does seem to have good vision and is very much a "1 cut and get the hell upfield" runner.  I approve.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DeadSalamander said:

Just watched his video for the 1st time.  Certainly not elite speed or quickness for a highly recruited player, but he does seem to have good vision and is very much a "1 cut and get the hell upfield" runner.  I approve.

So, Bergeron 2.0?

We better have a top 5-10 class this year....and every year.  We can't catch and beat Bama as long as they pull in top 3 classes every year.  When you have 4*/5* players 2 and 3 deep like Bama, I don't think Herman can out-coach Saban with lesser skilled players.  It could happen, but better recruits make better coaches.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

Leal is going to sign in December. 

Need to get him back on campus quick (USC game?) if we have any shot of flipping him.

One of the worst reads I’ve had in the entirety of the 30 years I’ve spent avidly following recruiting. It’s probably a personality thing, but I’ve lost all hope in Leal, given the circumstances and including Price/Brewster vs Giles.  I’d love to hear otherwise, but it sounds like that dude is just gone. 

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One of the worst reads I’ve had in the entirety of the 30 years I’ve spent avidly following recruiting. It’s probably a personality thing, but I’ve lost all hope in Leal, given the circumstances and including Price/Brewster vs Giles.  I’d love to hear otherwise, but it sounds like that dude is just gone. 

I'm holding out hope that a disaster of an aggie season, like four wins with four 21+ point blowout losses, could lead to him looking around. Four wins isn't likely, but it's plausible if a couple of injuries in bad spots happen and they lose a couple of the tossups. 

Not one that you should put in the mock classes, obviously 

I the meantime, it would be nice if Giles would offer some of the 2020 top in-state DL so we don't fall behind on them too 

I'm holding out hope that a disaster of an aggie season, like four wins with four 21+ point blowout losses, could lead to him looking around. Four wins isn't likely, but it's plausible if a couple of injuries in bad spots happen and they lose a couple of the tossups. 
Not one that you should put in the mock classes, obviously 
I the meantime, it would be nice if Giles would offer some of the 2020 top in-state DL so we don't fall behind on them too 
Aggy will win 4 games with a 4th string qb, take a look at the schedule.

2 hours ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Can't see this, what does it say?

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Could be Nahlin talking about Derrian Brown being old teammates with Tyler Johnson, or Brown responding Yesssssirrr [100 emoji]

It was a picture of Marques Caldwell. Caption was "⁦Texas commit @CMarquesssss⁩ looking sharp and tall at 6-2, 185. Great size at corner."

Really interested in hidden gem Offers this Fall for the O-Line and D-Lines....

Still seems like JUCO offers will be necessary for 2019 Class in trenches for both offense & defensive lines...

Ahhhhh yes. So here we are. The “hidden gem” phase when we have struck out on enough of our top targets. Now we lean on the keen evaluation skills of our staff to seek out the “diamonds in the rough” that everyone else overlooked.

I hate this stage of recruiting.

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Ahhhhh yes. So here we are. The “hidden gem” phase when we have struck out on enough of our top targets. Now we lean on the keen evaluation skills of our staff to seek out the “diamonds in the rough” that everyone else overlooked.

I hate this stage of recruiting.

Understand your pain...

Still something to Like about finding "Some" hard working underappreciated "Lunch Pail Guys" who rise above others during their Senior Year, and have higher upsides than some of the "Entitled 4-5 Star Prima-Donna's"......

Hoping Kerstetter, Cosmi, Ojomo, M.Williams, M.Roach, Hager and G.Johnson turn out to be our "Diamonds in the Rough"....

Hook'em

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eric Cuffee is going to play up to his junior tape any day now.

Just like Taylor Bible. I'm not saying I'm happy with how things look on the lines, but it is probably the toughest position to evaluate at this age. Some kids physically develop much quicker than others. Some kids never see anyone else their size and can't handle the challenge of physical parity. I'd really like to see an analysis (to lazy to do it, so don't ask me) about how much movement there is in position group rankings between Junior and Senior years. I imagine the lines should show the greatest movement (save a few physical freaks) due to physical changes, but would guess rankings don't change too much due to analysts anchoring to their original evals.

I don't know about "hidden gem" or "diamond in the rough" types but the early signing period is going to create more of those type offers. 

I'm not sure you would really consider Ojomo and M.Williams as "hidden gems" but the early signing period is going to create more value for those types. That's not just a Texas thing either. 

Edited by texasstrong12

EJ after dark: New Crystal Ball pick in for Texas

— I put in a new Crystal Ball pick in for elite 2021 Parish Episcopal quarterback Preston Stone. Of course, it’s very early in this recruitment and a lot will depend on how UT performs this season and beyond, but I really like where the Longhorns stand right now. Stone loves offensive coordinator Tim Beck and has built a strong bond with him early on. Texas doesn’t offer underclassmen this early, so that should tell you how high the staff is on him as a prospect. Stone is looking to visit Texas when the Longhorns take on USC on Sept. 15.

— We reported earlier today that four-star Buford (GA) running back Derrian Brown might commit before the end of the month. Nothing is for certain, but if he does move up his timeline, I can’t imagine it won’t be Texas. The Longhorns have made him a priority and are recruiting him harder than any other program at this time. His recruiter Jason Washington actually exchanged some messages with Brown today, and I feel very confident in my Crystal Ball pick. Penn State is the other school to watch.

— Texas is starting to recruit Georgia more and more, and it’s obvious that linebacker is still a need this cycle. So it’s no surprise that the Longhorns are carefully evaluating three-star 2019 Trap County (GA) inside linebacker Joko Willis. He holds offers from Arkansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Syracuse, Texas A&M and a handful of others. He is one to watch.

— Four-star 2020 Highland Park defensive lineman Prince Dorbah has Texas in his top group early on. That list also includes Arkansas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Dorbah has remained in frequent contact with Oscar Giles and Bryan Carrington and will see Texas in action twice this season — against USC on Sept. 15 and against Oklahoma in Dallas on Oct. 6.

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Just like Taylor Bible. I'm not saying I'm happy with how things look on the lines, but it is probably the toughest position to evaluate at this age. Some kids physically develop much quicker than others. Some kids never see anyone else their size and can't handle the challenge of physical parity. I'd really like to see an analysis (to lazy to do it, so don't ask me) about how much movement there is in position group rankings between Junior and Senior years. I imagine the lines should show the greatest movement (save a few physical freaks) due to physical changes, but would guess rankings don't change too much due to analysts anchoring to their original evals.

Warren Sapp played tight end, linebacker, kicker and punter on his high school team and played third base for the baseball team.  He grew and developed into a DL Hall of Famer.  Taylor Bible and Daylon Mack on the other hand...not so much.  

• Like 2