Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

If you haven't watched Floyd's junior hudl, https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9336576/59c837bf3449410a4cb9ea37

Give it a listen at 0:45

The opposing teams coach is in the background noise, hilarious.

"He missed him. Unbelievable. That was terrible!"

Floyd is violent. I love it. Though he will have to learn to use more than just his shoulder to tackle.

Edited by pacman

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/11/open-post-weekend-november-2nd-4th/

Isaiah Hookfin | In-Game | Recruiting Update
– Super K

As you all know, last week I went by practice at Dulles High School to see 2019 OT, Isaiah Hoofkin. Here is what I wrote…

I came away from that practice absolutely blown away by Hookfin’s athletic ability. I cannot emphasize enough how well this young man runs. Completely fluid in his lower body. Very flexible. He’s a natural athlete. He has to be a 4.8 perhaps even 4.7 guy at 6’5 265 lbs. He has a nice frame on him. Thick hands. Will comfortably hold around 300 lbs. Definitely one of the best athletes I’ve seen at that position in a while.

Hookfin really just started playing football last year. He played on the defensive side in 8th grade and then was injured during his freshmen and sophomore seasons. So, he played his junior year and is now doing well into his senior season.

I was interested in seeing more of Hookfin so I went to watch him play last Friday night. What you notice right away is how quickly he gets out of set. He can stay in front of anyone and the opposing team had some defensive guys with athleticism.

He flashed the ability to roll his hips and plant someone but for the most part, I saw him position blocking. I’m slow to criticize a player for this because you really don’t know if that’s what they’re being taught to do. But it is clear to me based on a few things I saw and just how strong Isaiah is and how big his hands are that he is the kind of guy who has the ability to steamroll his man.

He’s still learning how to use his hands as weapons. He put his hands out there but he doesn’t lock on right now. That’ll come though.

Again, give a guy like a Hoofkin some time in a program where he will be developed and he could very well end up being a draft guy.

Recruiting

As we mentioned last week, he does plan on taking the trip to Texas for an unofficial visit this weekend. Texas has yet to offer but I imagine the staff just wants to get a look at him and make sure they see a guy with the size and frame they can develop.

Also, it’s worth noting that while Texas has been working to flip Andrew Coker, Coker let me know that he is no longer visiting Texas this upcoming weekend. When I saw Coker in action a couple weeks ago he mentioned that he’d be at the West Virginia game. But he let me know earlier today that he won’t make it in. I’ll check to see if that’s going to be rescheduled.

Back to Hookfin. He’s really starting to pick up steam on the recruiting trail. Last week he picked up a Baylor offer. And, last night he picked up offers from Mississippi State and Auburn.

Hookfin’s father tells me that after the Texas visit this weekend they have an official visit to Arizona State scheduled the following weekend. In terms of remaining visits, his father said, “it’s all happening so fast right now so we still haven’t had a chance to sit down and talk through what visits he’s going to take”

2019 DE Myron Warren | In-Person + Recruiting Update
– Super K

I went out to Many (LA) to see 2019 Texas defensive end target, Myron Warren. I stopped by Lufkin’s practice before that and ended up missing much of the practice in Many. So, I didn’t get a chance to see Myron move around. But I really don’t have any question marks about his athleticism. He’s truly elite in that regard.

In fact, Myron grew up playing basketball and coach Jess Curtis, head coach at Many, says Myron can dunk the ball every which way you want it. Myron told me it was the encouragement of his friends, family, and coaches that really prompted him to first start playing football about two or three years ago.

Myron agrees that it was a good decision. He tells me has athletes all through his family. In fact he has a cousin who played basketball at Nebraska.

Myron certainly looks the part. I’d say he stands at around 6’3 and he’s nearly 240 lbs right now. Good frame on him. He’ll comfortably be 270 lbs. Extremely explosive off the line of scrimmage. Based on the film I’ve seen, he plays in an aggressive 30 front. Could really see him playing in an aggressive 30 or outside the tackle at 5 technique in a 4-man front – maybe even a Jack backer in college.

Recruiting

In terms of recruitment, TCU was his first power five offer. Given Gary Patterson and company’s ability to evaluate, that’s a really good sign. Following his TCU offer, this past summer, he picked offers from schools like Texas A&M, Ole Miss and a number of others. In fact, Myron tells me that he visited Texas A&M over the summer and the original plan was to visit Texas on the same visit but due to time constraints the trip didn’t materialize.

Texas has been in communication with Myron since the summer time, “they’ve been in the picture for a while…coach Oscar Giles contacted me right after I left TCU”. The Horns then pulled the trigger earlier this season.

Once he picked up the Texas offer, Myron decided he needed to take some time and reevaluate his options. As such, he decommitted from TCU and says he has high interest in Texas along with three or four other schools. Myron described the Texas offer as “amazing” adding, “to get an offer from a program like that, it just made me want to keep working harder and harder and harder”.

He continues to communicate with both Texas and TCU.

This upcoming weekend he will take a trip to LSU. The Tigers have yet to offer but it sounds like it’s a possibility. I asked Myron if he grew up of any program, assuming of course that it would be LSU. He said, however, “I really didn’t have a favorite football team. I was just mostly into basketball. I just loved basketball. I kept up with basketball”.

In fact, though Myron is from Louisiana he tells me that his kin are originally from the Killeen and Austin area of Texas. Having said that, should the Tigers offer, they’ll be stiff competition. But Myron insists that regardless, he plans on taking his visits including a visit to Texas.

He’s scheduled to take his first visit to Texas as an unofficial visit on November 17th when the Longhorns face Iowa State. After the season, he plans to take his official visits.

Quick-Hitters | Bru McCoy & Noah Cain
– Super K

***Received word earlier today from Horace McCoy, father of Bru McCoy that it’s looking unlikely that they will be able to make it on their official visit Oklahoma for the Bedlam game.

Horace said their schedule is tight from now until Bru makes his decision so it’s possible the visit won’t happen.

It’s looking more and more like this one will remain a Texas vs USC battle with Washington in the mix a bit, as well.

I can tell you that USC is going to have to assure a lot of their targets that things are on stable ground. Texas needs to end the season strong.

***As we previously reported, Noah Cain is scheduled to take his official visit to Texas this weekend.

He still has his LSU, Penn State and Ohio State OVs remaining but with LSU looking like the probable landing spot for John Emery this is looking better and better for Texas.

I’m on a plane now about to take off to Florida. I’ll be over at IMG sometime early next week. I hope to have more then.

• Like 1

IT

By: IT Staff

TEAM

It was just another week of practice. There wasn't a ton of emphasis on corrections, so much as just getting back to doing things correctly.

I asked about the poor tackling and heard, "Guys are wanting kill shots instead of wrapping up. You have to wrap up." I asked if not tackling in practice as much as last year has hurt. "Probably need to work on it some more but these guys know how to tackle. Just stay under control. Not every tackle has to be a highlight hit. Not scrimmaging has probably hurt because there are too many bad angles too."

As he's been prone to do, Herman steals a little Humidor thunder with his Thursday media availabilities. He mentioned two interesting things: Chris Nelson is out, and Anthony Wheeler will be suspended for the first series.

Nelson was rolled up on in practice on Tuesday. Replacing him will be Gerald Wilbon and then D'Andre Christmas. We may see Jamari Chisholm. I doubt we see true freshman Keondre Coburn. You should know how this staff operates by now. Coburn has yet to scrimmage barefoot over coals so he hasn't earned his 'game ready' patch just yet.

Herman said Jeffrey McCulloch will play the first series in place of Wheeler at mac. This was news to my source which tells me McCulloch didn't get any extra snaps in anticipation of playing there this week. McCulloch does rep there, as well as at every other linebacker position, every week, so he should have an idea of what he's supposed to do. We've seen Orlando's defenses begin every game like they're stuck in quicksand so hopefully this change offers them a vine to grab onto.

Wheeler was disciplined for being late to a team lift. Sources tell me PJ Locke was on time for each of his.

On offense the interior triumvirate of Elijah Rodriguez, Zach Shackelford, and Derek Kerstetter rotated with both Rodriguez and Kerstetter working at center. Kerstetter an E-Rod are battling at guard but the work at center appears to be to create depth.

I received word of a likely transfer after the year. The player won't be a big surprise but he's solid depth and a good program guy.

I checked back in on the potential of underclassmen declaring early for the draft. I'll put percentages on their chances of returning.

WR Collin Johnson - 80%. The dude just loves Texas and people I ask assume he'll return.

WR Lil'Jordan Humphrey - 30%. I would have had this at 10% prior to this week, but the possibility of the team winning and offense being really good in 2019 has his curiosity. Just another reason to keep winning.

DB Brandon Jones - 70%. This has more to do with him not being sure he's ready than the last game that kind of underlined that. He's been quiet about his future but we feel pretty good on his return as of now. Of the players mentioned he's the one with the most incentive to leave early.

ARENA TALK

We're hearing the new basketball arena for the Longhorns' men's and women's basketball teams will break ground over the next 18-24 months. This comes after a decision was made at a meeting last Friday.

STATE OF RECRUITING

With about three quarters of its 2019 class verbally committed, the Texas Longhorns staff is working to find seven or eight more prospects to fill out this cycle. With the #RevolUTion18 + #FUTure19 numbers, the 2020 squad will be smaller, perhaps even into the teens but that's for another discussion.

What's immediately pressing is the No. 17 Horns are hosting the No. 11 Mountaineers, as well as a number of recruits in the 2019, 2020, and even 2021 cycles.

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves, (TEXAS): RJ is back in the house for one of the biggest games in Herman's early tenure on the 40 Acres. He doesn't do his recruiting on Twitter, but his quiet confidence plays well in person.

DL Peter Mpagi, George Ranch (TEXAS): Like Johnson, Mpagi bleeds orange and will max out his abilities in Austin. The early enrollee will physically look like an upper-classmen in less than a year.

DL T'Vondre Sweat, Huntsville (TEXAS): This early commitment continues to be one of the most undervalued prospects in UT's 2019 class. His tape is very promising, especially with the likelihood he plays inside.

RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy, FL via Denton Guyer (OV): The four-star tailback is headed back to Austin for the first time since last summer. His relationship with Stan Drayton, two years in the making, is the most consistent strength in this recruitment for Texas. You hear names often; LSU, Penn State, Georgia, and Ohio State, but I think Cain is a real wild card. Texas will likely take another running back if it's Cain or Trey Sanders. If UT can land just one of these, it'll be a huge success. He'll stay until Monday so the staff has time to work a little magic for Frank Gore 2.0.

WR Elijah Higgins, Austin Bowie (OV): The 6-foot-3, 230-pound receiver finally got some snaps in last night's contest, including playing quarterback in the wildcat. He has a lot of tools coaches covet; hands, body control, ball skills and fluidity after the catch. Texas has its work cut out for them here, Stanford looks tough to beat. Damn, I'm tired of writing that.

WR Kennedy Lewis, Melissa: The former TCU pledge caught some burnt orange fever and now the Horns are the team to beat. I think his take depends on what Higgins does, though Lewis would be a Z receiver who who provide some size and ball skills to the position. His speed isn't too shabby either.

OT Isaiah Hookfin, Sugarland Dulles: There's been some serious buzz (Auburn, Mississippi State, Baylor offers this week) with this late bloomer out of Sugarland. While there's not a ton of tape, his measureables and limited clips show a big, athletic kid around 6-foot-5, 265 pounds, with great balance in the Christian Jones mold. A Herb Hand special if there ever was one. He's on an unofficial visit this weekend. An official visit could happen in early December. Texas looks great here with or without an offer.

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis (TEXAS): The 2020 signal-caller in UT's next cycle, Card doesn't miss an opportunity to check out his future squad. Especially against a good WVU team.

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek: The ideal fit in Orlando's d-line schemes, Collins has been a regular at Texas games this fall. I anticipate he'll see more of Austin over the next 18 months. The Horns have positioned themselves quite nicely for the interior defender.

RB Seth McGowan, Mesquite Poteet: About as good of an athlete as you'll find at the position with good size and explosiveness. He isn't the most natural running back, but his sheer composite of size and burst make him uncommon. We could see a holdover gift from Malikmas yet. Stanford is in it, but Texas looks decent so far. He tripped to the ATX for Junior Day back in February and will likely return after this weekend. The key in this recruitment will be his relationship with Stan Drayton. Academics are a priority for McGowan. He was #1 in his class after his freshman year but football obligations kept him from taking a couple of classes that would have kept him in the running for valedictorian. Kid has a Jordan Whittington build and a Myron Rolle brain.

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage: They might as well just give Keaontay Ingram's younger, but just as big brother a locker. Here's some Hudl if they need some highlights for his locker TV.

DL Princely Umanmielen, Manor (Manor, TX): The 6-foot-4, 240-pound defensive end is a prospect you should be used to by now. He has early offers - OU, Arkansas, TCU, Arizona and UT - but the hometown team might hold the early advantage. Texas is going to have to wisely navigate numbers at the position. There are some really good options in the cycle.

LB Brennon Scott, Bishop Dunne: At 6-foot-2, 220, finding inside linebackers that can cover is a must in the Big 12. Scott could fill that role. Holding almost 20 offers - Florida, Colorado, Texas A&M - Scott could be in line for an invitation from UT. It's a typically down cycle at the position but Scott looks like an offer in a good cycle if his size checks out.

DB Jaylon Jones, Cibolo Steele: The long, Holton Hill-type defensive back has all the tools to excel at the next level. Texas and Florida have the early advantage, but UT has an ace in the hole and he prowls the Texas secondary on Saturdays - former teammate Caden Sterns.

QB Jake Garcia, Narbonne (Harbor City, CA): For a sophomore with overtures from Georgia, Florida State, and UF, the 6-foot-2, 185-pound quarterback was set to visit last month but his trip fell through. I'm told he's set to see Austin this weekend. You can never start too early, especially with signal-callers. Narbonne is one of the schools in So Cal that has talent year in, year out. As an example, the school has five in the top 32 for the 2020 cycle.

We should have more names to add to the list either later today or tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/11/open-post-weekend-november-2nd-4th/

Reveal hidden contents

Isaiah Hookfin | In-Game | Recruiting Update
– Super K

As you all know, last week I went by practice at Dulles High School to see 2019 OT, Isaiah Hoofkin. Here is what I wrote…

I came away from that practice absolutely blown away by Hookfin’s athletic ability. I cannot emphasize enough how well this young man runs. Completely fluid in his lower body. Very flexible. He’s a natural athlete. He has to be a 4.8 perhaps even 4.7 guy at 6’5 265 lbs. He has a nice frame on him. Thick hands. Will comfortably hold around 300 lbs. Definitely one of the best athletes I’ve seen at that position in a while.

Hookfin really just started playing football last year. He played on the defensive side in 8th grade and then was injured during his freshmen and sophomore seasons. So, he played his junior year and is now doing well into his senior season.

I was interested in seeing more of Hookfin so I went to watch him play last Friday night. What you notice right away is how quickly he gets out of set. He can stay in front of anyone and the opposing team had some defensive guys with athleticism.

He flashed the ability to roll his hips and plant someone but for the most part, I saw him position blocking. I’m slow to criticize a player for this because you really don’t know if that’s what they’re being taught to do. But it is clear to me based on a few things I saw and just how strong Isaiah is and how big his hands are that he is the kind of guy who has the ability to steamroll his man.

He’s still learning how to use his hands as weapons. He put his hands out there but he doesn’t lock on right now. That’ll come though.

Again, give a guy like a Hoofkin some time in a program where he will be developed and he could very well end up being a draft guy.

Recruiting

As we mentioned last week, he does plan on taking the trip to Texas for an unofficial visit this weekend. Texas has yet to offer but I imagine the staff just wants to get a look at him and make sure they see a guy with the size and frame they can develop.

Also, it’s worth noting that while Texas has been working to flip Andrew Coker, Coker let me know that he is no longer visiting Texas this upcoming weekend. When I saw Coker in action a couple weeks ago he mentioned that he’d be at the West Virginia game. But he let me know earlier today that he won’t make it in. I’ll check to see if that’s going to be rescheduled.

Back to Hookfin. He’s really starting to pick up steam on the recruiting trail. Last week he picked up a Baylor offer. And, last night he picked up offers from Mississippi State and Auburn.

Hookfin’s father tells me that after the Texas visit this weekend they have an official visit to Arizona State scheduled the following weekend. In terms of remaining visits, his father said, “it’s all happening so fast right now so we still haven’t had a chance to sit down and talk through what visits he’s going to take”

2019 DE Myron Warren | In-Person + Recruiting Update
– Super K

I went out to Many (LA) to see 2019 Texas defensive end target, Myron Warren. I stopped by Lufkin’s practice before that and ended up missing much of the practice in Many. So, I didn’t get a chance to see Myron move around. But I really don’t have any question marks about his athleticism. He’s truly elite in that regard.

In fact, Myron grew up playing basketball and coach Jess Curtis, head coach at Many, says Myron can dunk the ball every which way you want it. Myron told me it was the encouragement of his friends, family, and coaches that really prompted him to first start playing football about two or three years ago.

Myron agrees that it was a good decision. He tells me has athletes all through his family. In fact he has a cousin who played basketball at Nebraska.

Myron certainly looks the part. I’d say he stands at around 6’3 and he’s nearly 240 lbs right now. Good frame on him. He’ll comfortably be 270 lbs. Extremely explosive off the line of scrimmage. Based on the film I’ve seen, he plays in an aggressive 30 front. Could really see him playing in an aggressive 30 or outside the tackle at 5 technique in a 4-man front – maybe even a Jack backer in college.

Recruiting

In terms of recruitment, TCU was his first power five offer. Given Gary Patterson and company’s ability to evaluate, that’s a really good sign. Following his TCU offer, this past summer, he picked offers from schools like Texas A&M, Ole Miss and a number of others. In fact, Myron tells me that he visited Texas A&M over the summer and the original plan was to visit Texas on the same visit but due to time constraints the trip didn’t materialize.

Texas has been in communication with Myron since the summer time, “they’ve been in the picture for a while…coach Oscar Giles contacted me right after I left TCU”. The Horns then pulled the trigger earlier this season.

Once he picked up the Texas offer, Myron decided he needed to take some time and reevaluate his options. As such, he decommitted from TCU and says he has high interest in Texas along with three or four other schools. Myron described the Texas offer as “amazing” adding, “to get an offer from a program like that, it just made me want to keep working harder and harder and harder”.

He continues to communicate with both Texas and TCU.

This upcoming weekend he will take a trip to LSU. The Tigers have yet to offer but it sounds like it’s a possibility. I asked Myron if he grew up of any program, assuming of course that it would be LSU. He said, however, “I really didn’t have a favorite football team. I was just mostly into basketball. I just loved basketball. I kept up with basketball”.

In fact, though Myron is from Louisiana he tells me that his kin are originally from the Killeen and Austin area of Texas. Having said that, should the Tigers offer, they’ll be stiff competition. But Myron insists that regardless, he plans on taking his visits including a visit to Texas.

He’s scheduled to take his first visit to Texas as an unofficial visit on November 17th when the Longhorns face Iowa State. After the season, he plans to take his official visits.

Quick-Hitters | Bru McCoy & Noah Cain
– Super K

***Received word earlier today from Horace McCoy, father of Bru McCoy that it’s looking unlikely that they will be able to make it on their official visit Oklahoma for the Bedlam game.

Horace said their schedule is tight from now until Bru makes his decision so it’s possible the visit won’t happen.

It’s looking more and more like this one will remain a Texas vs USC battle with Washington in the mix a bit, as well.

I can tell you that USC is going to have to assure a lot of their targets that things are on stable ground. Texas needs to end the season strong.

***As we previously reported, Noah Cain is scheduled to take his official visit to Texas this weekend.

He still has his LSU, Penn State and Ohio State OVs remaining but with LSU looking like the probable landing spot for John Emery this is looking better and better for Texas.

I’m on a plane now about to take off to Florida. I’ll be over at IMG sometime early next week. I hope to have more then.

I know we rip on the 9.95ers a lot, but Super K is flat getting it done the last few years. 

Pay this man @OnAComputer

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Oh, so sorry. The tackling issues that have plagued us for the better part of the last decade have resurfaced. 

Is that more to your liking? 

I would just acknowledge that it's Herman/Orlando's second season and the results in the first season were positive. I feel like they fielded physical defenses at Houston as well, but I don't want this thread to turn into grandpa fundamentals talk so I'm standing down.

• Like 1

Anybody have any idea why Peyton Powell is visiting Tech again this week end?  

As a TT fan, I'm not expecting a decommitment or anything of the sort.  Just find it the timing kind of puzzling.  He was there only a week before his UT commitment and has visited multiple times.

Landon Peterson visiting again, which is more understandable given his recent decommitment.  Perhaps they're just friends and Powell is going along for the ride.

16 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

As a TT fan, I'm not expecting a decommitment or anything of the sort.  Just find it the timing kind of puzzling.  He was there only a week before his UT commitment and has visited multiple times.

Landon Peterson visiting again, which is more understandable given his recent decommitment.  Perhaps they're just friends and Powell is going along for the ride.

It’s best not to travel alone in the desert..

27 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

I think you answered your own question.

46 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

He's a fan of herpes roulette. 

26 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm assuming they don't have a district, right?  They just play random teams all over the country.

They can't qualify for playoffs or play for a State Title. Basically, all their games are exhibition games. They are a college football prep factory with the best collection of talent in the nation, but they are not the best team. 

Updated WVU game visitor list from IT:

OT Tyler Johnson, Conroe Oak Ridge (TEXAS)
CB Marques Caldwell, Alvin (TEXAS)
DT Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek
DE Princely Umanmielen, Manor
DB Jaylon Jones, Cibolo Steele
ATH Ja’Quinden Jackson, Duncanville
DT Alex Huntley, Columbia (SC) Hammond School
QB Jake Garcia, Harbor City (CA) Narbonne
DE Landon Jackson, Texarkana Pleasant Grove
RB Ty Jordan, West Mesquite 
DB Tyler Owens, Plano East (TEXAS)
QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groces (TEXAS)
LB/DE Peter Mpagi, Richmond George Ranch (TEXAS)
WR Elijah Higgins, Austin Bowie
RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy
OT Isaiah Hookfin, Sugar Land Dulles
OL Jahari Rogers, Arlington
WR Kennedy Lewis, Melissa
ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage 
OL Tykieast Crawford, Carthage 
ATH Quaydarius Davis, Dallas Skyline
LB Brennon Scott, Dallas Bishop Dunne
QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis (TEXAS)
WR Demond Demas, Houston North Forrest (TEXAS A&M)
WR Logan Kyle, Tomball Memorial 
LB Nate Hawkins, Katy Seven Lakes

**Seth McGowan is headed to Bama-LSU**

• Like 1