Texas recruiting notes 2019

32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

PWO QB prospect: http://www.hudl.com/v/2AQQsP

Wait, wait, wait... This guy is available, but aggy signed Calzone? That is downright criminal, right there.

If we get him as a PWO, I'd be thrilled. Otherwise, he's going to make Wyoming very happy. It's all a question of whether he wants to be a practice time contributor to a champion, or be a really big fish in a small pond by starting at a school that no one will ever watch.

36 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

or be a really big fish in a small pond by starting at a school that no one will ever watch.

I'd love to get this guy.  I also understand that with how coveted the NFL QB role is these days, scouts will find you if you have the measurables.  Big kid.  Big arm.  Able to make all the throws at the combine.  You'll get a look.  Regardless of whether you play in a P5 or not.  

So... what’s the issue with this kid bc his offers are Wyoming and then the likes of UTEP.  I know it’s a highlight reel but he’s tossing bullets and dimes to WRs in stride. someone with knowledge of scouting tell us why he’s ranked 250 in the state of Texas.  And like someone else mentioned, he looks 100x better than the dude committed to aggy.

Edited by victory88

21 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Everybody is paying for players so we should —>

Technically this is against the rules so we’ll do it privately and indirectly —>

We will have to lie about what we are doing on any official or public disclosures —>

No thanks. I like watching guys who attend my alma mater win when they play certain games, but not enough that I can advocate lying, fraud, and surrendering to the travelers of the low road.

We don’t have to kill ourselves self-scouting for minor peccadilloes. But we should set a standard and expectation of integrity. If the rules of the game leave it ripe for abuse, advocate for change, live with the fact that aggy and his ilk lie and cheat, and/or start a new game (like when we founded the SWC). If I’m going to sacrifice principle to cheer for a winner, it would be simpler and faster just to cheer for Bama instead of TEXAS.

So I'll mark you as a no, on pitching in on the hookers.

I wonder if this just happens to be one of those guys that gets shuffled down the ratings boards because, he wasn’t chased by a higher profile school, didn’t have some sort of trainer/promoter, had his best/only year as a senior, and didn’t go to a lot of camps. Basically just didn’t get his name out there for publicity. His few measurables aren’t all that different from guys 20 spots ahead of him.

50 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Wait, wait, wait... This guy is available, but aggy signed Calzone? That is downright criminal, right there.

If we get him as a PWO, I'd be thrilled. Otherwise, he's going to make Wyoming very happy. It's all a question of whether he wants to be a practice time contributor to a champion, or be a really big fish in a small pond by starting at a school that no one will ever watch.

His sister is actually at aggy on a scholarship as a jumper for their track and field program. He knows Starkel as well. Might be an aggy family?

Random bit of other info I came across; He's been working with George Whitfield (the original QB coach for the rich).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

So... what’s the issue with this kid bc his offers are Wyoming and then the likes of UTEP.  I know it’s a highlight reel but he’s tossing bullets and dimes to WRs in stride. someone with knowledge of scouting tell us why he’s ranked 250 in the state of Texas.  And like someone else mentioned, he looks 100x better than the dude committed to aggy.

Plenty of dimes but I didnt see much for bullets. I saw one out toss to the far hash that took kinda long to get there...

17 minutes ago, Rynohorn said:

Plenty of dimes but I didnt see much for bullets. I saw one out toss to the far hash that took kinda long to get there...

He threw plenty of passes on a line in that video , 1:31 he throws a beautiful ball on an inside post.   And that far hash throw was a 25 yard throw across the hashes, we're not talking about a 10 yard fucking out route.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Dude, baggins has a plan, don't question the messiah.  He's not going to waste scholarships on QBs, it's the SEC and all he needs is OGs and DTs. Everything else is just a waste of a spot and he already has to trim a bunch of fat to fit his class in. 

1 hour ago, alphahorn said:

i've seen enough if Cameron leaves, sign this fucker

This. Good arm, fairly good and quick release. Athletic enough to play QB. What the hell is wrong with him. Does he have an incurable infect-us skin decease. He even has the right name for QB.

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

His stats are good but not amazing for HS, especially when he played better competition. 57% completion rate for the season and 35 TD to 13 INT.

2018 Stats

55 minutes ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

The incompletes and INTs weren't on his highlight video. What gives?

Every interception hit the receivers in the hands but they couldn’t hang on and bounced them in the air for the DBs. Every incomplete was thrown out of boredom so he could convert third downs. Every fumble was intentional to give the other team a sporting chance. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

Most DBs taken this year will.

IT's thinking was that Jordan Moore could compete for the nickel spot. They also acknowledged that it's probably Thompson's job for the next two seasons. 

I'd say there's no way in hell Thompson declares after one solid season as a junior, but it's happened before with DeShon Elliott. 

I would personally pass on Jordan Moore. Save the ship for a grad transfer or a 2020 DB. But what the heck do I know? 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Man being in a real New Years bowl has given this board way too much time to unravel.

I don't see any new targets being mentioned and Shepherd is going to be FWK'd to aggy. So, it is unclear who will be our next offers. Maybe Bamidele Olaseni is a target. It is pretty hard to guess who else. I guess we will see a decent number of portal guys.

IT

TRANSFER PORTAL

When discussing the transfer portal, these some are factors that need to be known.

1. A school can and will decide whether or not to keep kids on scholarship once a player has entered the portal. If they withhold a kid’s finances, and believe me, colleges will do this, there could be some media backlash. But the kid can’t hold the school hostage. If he’s leaving, they have to fill that spot as soon as possible, and if they choose to not be a part of the program they aren't earning their scholarship.

2. A player can remove his name at any time. The player goes through the compliance department to add or subtract their name. If they’re getting a few bites (other schools), they can actually use official visits, even though the number of OVs is likely five or less. We're not sure how that counts towards the normal official visit allocation schools have for the year.

3. It’s not free reign for all colleges. A player can decide who and who can’t contact them.

4. While the player doesn’t have to tell the current coaches of his intentions to test the waters, every coach at every school will know every player in their program in the database. It’s naive to think otherwise.

5. Players still have to sit out a season if they choose to leave, unless they graduate or are granted a waiver. Getting the waiver (family emergency, etc) is still difficult but a few, like Michigan’s Shea Patterson can be granted one. Unless it’s an Ole Miss-Baylor situation, I don’t see a kid finding a loophole. A good attorney might, though, which a few will probably hire.

At the end of the day, the portal is essentially a means for the NCAA to regulate college free agency and curb tampering. The funny thing is, it will make it easier to reward tampering. Coach X can simply text Player Y they have a spot for him if he enters the portal.

This development will benefit schools to some degree. Need a OL, check the portal. Need a big nickel, check the portal.

Players will soon learn their true value in this system. With Cam Rising, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t pick up a few offers. With Casey Thompson, the number will probably be lower.

Either way, they’ll get a peek over the fence to see if the grass is actually greener on the other side.

For staff's, recruiting now truly never stops. It's a new day when you have to recruit players who are already on your team and on a bowl trip.

STATE OF RECRUITING 

While the Texas staff is busy with Sugar Bowl preparations, contingency plans are being mounted for UT’s final push to close out the 2019 recruiting class when the dead period ends on January 11th. One position of need is running back. There are other spots that need bodies as well, notably OL, CB, and maybe another DL.

At RB, two familiar names have emerged as primary January targets: Katy’s Deondrick Glass and Newton’s Darwin Barlow. (Mississippi's Micah Kelly is a secondary target at this point. He'll take an official visit if offered)

Not much has changed on Glass. He was at the Baylor game last night but I don't see the Bears as a threat. He'll visit Texas the first weekend of the "live" period before deciding on the 14th. This sets up a potential furious finish for Texas to host him in Austin just before he announces. I have long-held concerns that Texas has more ground to make up than people would anticipate, but the Glass' have a business-like approach that benefits UT in this scenario. They don't need to be coddled, they need to be shown usage, opportunity, and what the school can do for Deondrick long-term. This pitch hasn't been hammered home, that's where the ground needs to be made up. If Texas can't land Glass, Barlow starts becoming a bigger priority.

After a great performance in helping Newton secure its second consecutive state championship last week, Barlow has become much more open about the process.

The TCU commit did not sign during the early period. At first it seemed he wanted to wait and ink with his teammates on the first Wednesday in February, but there’s more here.

Barlow, 6-foot-0, 205, has attracted a ton of attention in the last week. That’s one of the draws of waiting until NSD2, you become more attractive. It's like being single in your 30's. He’s always had the talent, attitude, and grades (he’ll graduate in the Top 5 of his class). It seems it just took awhile for others to see it.

Barlow has two official visits left, one of which will be to USC. The Trojans join Texas, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Nebraska, and Virginia Tech as schools in pursuit. The other official visit is TBD. Texas wants the other one.

Stan Drayton called Barlow the morning of his state title game, then again that night after Barlow boarded the bus and headed home.

Barlow visited Austin back in February during Junior Day Weekend, but left with the sense Texas wasn’t that interested. Still, the door is open and cracking wider by the day.

Another name to know comes via the NCAA Transfer Portal...Former Yoakum ATH, A&M defensive back Jordan Moore, twin brother of Texas WR Joshua Moore, is looking for a new home.

Texas views Jordan as a possibility. He’s a bigger nickel, something this defense requires. It may take some time with Moore, but the staff is intrigued. While at U of H, Herman offered both and built a good relationship with the family, not to mention they’re related to DL coach Oscar Giles. Supposedly A&M was also trying to keep him from putting his name in. That’s very telling. Seeing Josh up close the last several months might have the staff wanting more Moore. With Texas likely missing on Jalen Catalon, the spot on the roster for nickel is there. Jordan would miss a year, but Catalon wasn't going to start as a freshman anyway.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

TRANSFER PORTAL

When discussing the transfer portal, these some are factors that need to be known.

1. A school can and will decide whether or not to keep kids on scholarship once a player has entered the portal. If they withhold a kid’s finances, and believe me, colleges will do this, there could be some media backlash. But the kid can’t hold the school hostage. If he’s leaving, they have to fill that spot as soon as possible, and if they choose to not be a part of the program they aren't earning their scholarship.

2. A player can remove his name at any time. The player goes through the compliance department to add or subtract their name. If they’re getting a few bites (other schools), they can actually use official visits, even though the number of OVs is likely five or less. We're not sure how that counts towards the normal official visit allocation schools have for the year.

3. It’s not free reign for all colleges. A player can decide who and who can’t contact them.

4. While the player doesn’t have to tell the current coaches of his intentions to test the waters, every coach at every school will know every player in their program in the database. It’s naive to think otherwise.

5. Players still have to sit out a season if they choose to leave, unless they graduate or are granted a waiver. Getting the waiver (family emergency, etc) is still difficult but a few, like Michigan’s Shea Patterson can be granted one. Unless it’s an Ole Miss-Baylor situation, I don’t see a kid finding a loophole. A good attorney might, though, which a few will probably hire.

At the end of the day, the portal is essentially a means for the NCAA to regulate college free agency and curb tampering. The funny thing is, it will make it easier to reward tampering. Coach X can simply text Player Y they have a spot for him if he enters the portal.

This development will benefit schools to some degree. Need a OL, check the portal. Need a big nickel, check the portal.

Players will soon learn their true value in this system. With Cam Rising, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t pick up a few offers. With Casey Thompson, the number will probably be lower.

Either way, they’ll get a peek over the fence to see if the grass is actually greener on the other side.

For staff's, recruiting now truly never stops. It's a new day when you have to recruit players who are already on your team and on a bowl trip.

STATE OF RECRUITING 

While the Texas staff is busy with Sugar Bowl preparations, contingency plans are being mounted for UT’s final push to close out the 2019 recruiting class when the dead period ends on January 11th. One position of need is running back. There are other spots that need bodies as well, notably OL, CB, and maybe another DL.

At RB, two familiar names have emerged as primary January targets: Katy’s Deondrick Glass and Newton’s Darwin Barlow. (Mississippi's Micah Kelly is a secondary target at this point. He'll take an official visit if offered)

Not much has changed on Glass. He was at the Baylor game last night but I don't see the Bears as a threat. He'll visit Texas the first weekend of the "live" period before deciding on the 14th. This sets up a potential furious finish for Texas to host him in Austin just before he announces. I have long-held concerns that Texas has more ground to make up than people would anticipate, but the Glass' have a business-like approach that benefits UT in this scenario. They don't need to be coddled, they need to be shown usage, opportunity, and what the school can do for Deondrick long-term. This pitch hasn't been hammered home, that's where the ground needs to be made up. If Texas can't land Glass, Barlow starts becoming a bigger priority.

After a great performance in helping Newton secure its second consecutive state championship last week, Barlow has become much more open about the process.

The TCU commit did not sign during the early period. At first it seemed he wanted to wait and ink with his teammates on the first Wednesday in February, but there’s more here.

Barlow, 6-foot-0, 205, has attracted a ton of attention in the last week. That’s one of the draws of waiting until NSD2, you become more attractive. It's like being single in your 30's. He’s always had the talent, attitude, and grades (he’ll graduate in the Top 5 of his class). It seems it just took awhile for others to see it.

Barlow has two official visits left, one of which will be to USC. The Trojans join Texas, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Nebraska, and Virginia Tech as schools in pursuit. The other official visit is TBD. Texas wants the other one.

Stan Drayton called Barlow the morning of his state title game, then again that night after Barlow boarded the bus and headed home.

Barlow visited Austin back in February during Junior Day Weekend, but left with the sense Texas wasn’t that interested. Still, the door is open and cracking wider by the day.

Another name to know comes via the NCAA Transfer Portal...Former Yoakum ATH, A&M defensive back Jordan Moore, twin brother of Texas WR Joshua Moore, is looking for a new home.

Texas views Jordan as a possibility. He’s a bigger nickel, something this defense requires. It may take some time with Moore, but the staff is intrigued. While at U of H, Herman offered both and built a good relationship with the family, not to mention they’re related to DL coach Oscar Giles. Supposedly A&M was also trying to keep him from putting his name in. That’s very telling. Seeing Josh up close the last several months might have the staff wanting more Moore. With Texas likely missing on Jalen Catalon, the spot on the roster for nickel is there. Jordan would miss a year, but Catalon wasn't going to start as a freshman anyway.

That is a big Meh and a crawl to the finish line. My guess is that we will close better than Moore and Glass.