Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

They were proactive by signing the best defensive back group in the history of the program last year. 

I would call that pretty proactive. 

Sure but we signed 2, maybe 3 CBs in that class (depending on what they do with Jamison) with only one guy older than them on the entire roster who hasn't shown much ability at all. So we basically have 2 second years guys to play outside CB with Boyce and a TR FR in Watson backing them up.  That's not a depth chart that inspires much confidence going into next year.  

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Sure but we signed 2, maybe 3 CBs in that class (depending on what they do with Jamison) with only one guy older than them on the entire roster who hasn't shown much ability at all. So we basically have 2 second years guys to play outside CB with Boyce and a TR FR in Watson backing them up.  That's not a depth chart that inspires much confidence going into next year.  

If there is a graduate transfer CB that is good enough to play at Texas and is an obvious day 1 starter or doesn't mind competing with 5 stars waiting in the wings that all things being equal will get PT over him, I'm sure the staff would be all over that guy.  Hard to find.

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

As has been pointed out before, many players declare early to get to your second contract sooner. Staying another year was not going to make him a first round draft pick. He's never going to run fast enough to make it into the first round. He MIGHT get selected in the second round, but I doubt it. And I doubt he improves on his productivity this year. By your own chart, there is almost zero difference in money in rounds three and beyond. May as well declare and get to that second contract sooner. 

Also, can anyone explain the dramatic dip in guaranteed money 2/3rds of the way through the first round, and the inexplicable increase in signing bonus at the very end of the second round?

It's from one draft, meaning single specific contracts in both cases made it look like that. Have no idea who the specific guys were, but it's not from multiple seasons which would tend to smooth things out.

11 minutes ago, Skipper said:

If there is a graduate transfer CB that is good enough to play at Texas and is an obvious day 1 starter or doesn't mind competing with 5 stars waiting in the wings that all things being equal will get PT over him, I'm sure the staff would be all over that guy.  Hard to find.

Right but my question was more why we didn't go after any JUCO's this cycle and still aren't before NSD2. I understand that quality grad transfer CBs aren't just growing on trees. It doesn't seem like the staff is worried at all about outside corner next year, which seems odd to me because that and LB appear to be the thinnest position groups on the team next year and we already signed one JUCO LB and have another coming in to visit in a couple weeks. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Before you even start camp you already know who your top 3 CB’s are including two very highly rated/5 star players. I’m not sure what JUCO guy you are going to get who are better than those three. 

Grabbing guys just to sign them doesn’t really give you depth. If there is one out there, sure but to say it’s a major weakness and we “need” to sign one? I don’t think so. We had freshman as primary backups this year. 

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Jamison will move back to CB in all likelihood as his position has suddenly become ripe with better options. 

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

We had freshman as primary backups this year. 

We did and it wasn't pretty. Go watch the firs quarter of the OSU game where OSU put up 21 points and over 200 yards if you need to jog your memory.  Cook is the only guy who's seen meaningful reps and looked even halfway decent.  Boyce was terrible, Green and Jamison didn't play and Thompson really, really struggles mentally. Thompson blew the coverage on the TD in the WVU game, he blew a bunch of coverages in the Sugar Bowl, and pretty much every time he played this year. 

I'm glad we got so many good CBs in the 2018 class, but even about half the highly rated guys end up busts. If one or two of Green, Jamison, Thompson don't develop over the offseason, then this team is in serious trouble at corner in a conference that routinely runs 4 wide sets and attacks the weakest link mercilessly. I don't buy that there weren't any JUCO CBs who could improve this roster for next year, and both starting spots have been vacated so you can sell playing time pretty easily regardless of the rankings of the 2018 guys.

Anyways, I guess the staff is betting on all the guys developing, but we'll have to some serious good luck with guys developing and staying healthy to survive. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

We did and it wasn't pretty. Go watch the firs quarter of the OSU game where OSU put up 21 points and over 200 yards if you need to jog your memory.  Cook is the only guy who's seen meaningful reps and looked even halfway decent.  Boyce was terrible, Green and Jamison didn't play and Thompson really, really struggles mentally. Thompson blew the coverage on the TD in the WVU game, he blew a bunch of coverages in the Sugar Bowl, and pretty much every time he played this year. 

I'm glad we got so many good CBs in the 2018 class, but even about half the highly rated guys end up busts. If one or two of Green, Jamison, Thompson don't develop over the offseason, then this team is in serious trouble at corner in a conference that routinely runs 4 wide sets. I don't buy that there weren't any JUCO CBs who could improve this roster for next year. 

Here is the real simple answer. There are no CB available that would make a difference and we are not going to just take a jag just for numbers. Stop spamming the board.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm glad we got so many good CBs in the 2018 class, but even about half the highly rated guys end up busts. If one or two of Green, Jamison, Thompson don't develop over the offseason, then this team is in serious trouble at corner in a conference that routinely runs 4 wide sets. I don't buy that there weren't any JUCO CBs who could improve this roster for next year. 

To me, the point he making is that even if there were JUCO CBs who could improve the roster next year, getting them is going to be even more difficult than getting an elite HS CB to commit after last year's haul. The JUCO guy has a shorter clock and any risk that he sits on the bench is going to be greater than a HS senior who has 5 years to play 4. 

35 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

As has been pointed out before, many players declare early to get to your second contract sooner. Staying another year was not going to make him a first round draft pick. He's never going to run fast enough to make it into the first round. He MIGHT get selected in the second round, but I doubt it. And I doubt he improves on his productivity this year. By your own chart, there is almost zero difference in money in rounds three and beyond. May as well declare and get to that second contract sooner. 

Also, can anyone explain the dramatic dip in guaranteed money 2/3rds of the way through the first round, and the inexplicable increase in signing bonus at the very end of the second round?

The dip in SB at the end of the first round is a data entry error on Laquon Treadwell.  The details page shows the correct amount, but the summary page has it at only 1.8 million.

Not sure why the guaranteed money at the end of the 2nd round spikes for one player.

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

Let’s apply Occam’s razor. The staff either (1) didn’t notice that they have little depth at CB, (2) don’t care to do anything about the depth at CB, or (3) have their antennae up but haven’t spotted anybody whose name has slipped out to the 995ers yet.

(d) All of the above.

51 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Obviously, but we didn't even go after a single JUCO CB, either. Just seems like a bit of a hole on our roster next year, and this staff is usually more proactive plugging holes than Vic Mackey at a Weight Watchers meeting.  

Adding a JUCO corner before the early signing period wouldn't have been the best idea 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Hearing that Bru is leaning towards putting in a transfer to Texas and that if he does, LJH will come back next year so that he can mentor him. 

I heard that Saban is going to retire from coaching and wants to come be a consultant to Herman. 

19 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Hearing that Bru is leaning towards putting in a transfer to Texas and that if he does, LJH will come back next year so that he can mentor him. 

Scorpio.....Surprised you didn't post Mehringer going to USC to be Bru's Bruh????

giphy.gif

47 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm glad we got so many good CBs in the 2018 class, but even about half the highly rated guys end up busts. If one or two of Green, Jamison, Thompson don't develop over the offseason, then this team is in serious trouble at corner in a conference that routinely runs 4 wide sets and attacks the weakest link mercilessly. I don't buy that there weren't any JUCO CBs who could improve this roster for next year, and both starting spots have been vacated so you can sell playing time pretty easily regardless of the rankings of the 2018 guys.

Anyways, I guess the staff is betting on all the guys developing, but we'll have to some serious good luck with guys developing and staying healthy to survive. 

Let me save you some hand wringing. Cook and Green will be our starting corners next year and they will be very good. Maybe a step down from Boyd and Davis at first, but still very good. Behind them should be Kenyatta Watson and Boyce. The nickel is the biggest unknown to me. Thompson likely wins that spot and I would bet we will see Foster in that position in some packages, but I have no idea what is behind them. We are great with Safety and Joker position, but need to take some DBs next cycle for sure. 

• Like 1

actual recruiting info via TFloss (potential OL targets)

Spoiler

Quotes from Virginia grad transfer OL RJ Proctor (OrangeBloods):

“Me and coach Hand had a long talk on the phone, about 20 minutes, on his birthday actually. He called me (on Saturday). The basic thing was, ‘We saw you were in the portal, wanted to contact you as quickly as we could.’ He said they watched some of my film. He talked about the people they have, the tackles they think will go to the league. He wants to surround me with good players,” Proctor said. “He told me where they need help. They had three senior starters, two guards, so we were just going around, talking about different things they had, how I’d fit in their scheme. He was telling me to come down, hopefully get a visit in."

“He said they want me to get down there, meet the team. He said they wanted me at guard, but I’ll play wherever.”

“The biggest thing is, I’m Virginia. I’ve been in the DMV (D.C./Maryland/Virginia) area most of my life. I committed to Virginia pretty early,” Proctor said. “I wanted a change, somewhere to help me grow and develop as a person and a player. My main goal is to help the team win, be a starter, get a chance at the NFL. With a different coaching staff and some new things, I think I’ll have a chance with that.”

“Coach was telling me, do some research. He said to look at him, look at Texas. I said ‘Isn’t it your birthday?’ and I think that surprised him,” Proctor said. “I was telling him, when I was younger, I used to always watch the Texas and Oklahoma game. I’ve always been a Longhorn fan. My number one team was of course Virginia, but I’ve watched Texas a lot."

“Texas is big on football. Everything is bigger in Texas. I always hear how the arenas in football in Virginia are huge, but then I checked out Texas and fell in love with it. They just beat Georgia, that was huge. He said they’re looking to win 10 or 11 games next year, hopefully their quarterback will be a Heisman Trophy winner. That’s a big thing.”

///

Update on OL Ira Henry of St. Louis, MO (OrangeBloods).

He is the teammate of WR Marcus Washington and 2020 RB Mookie Cooper.

“I talked to (Bryan Carrington) a while ago. He said he wants to build a relationship. I’m getting to know him. Marcus tells me a lot about him, Mookie (Cooper) tells me a lot about him. He seems like a cool dude,” Henry said.

“I like their big linemen. It looks like they work together as a team,” Henry said. “They had a good game against Georgia and it looks like they all get along and have a good time.”

“He (Marcus Washington) said I need to get down there and see it for myself. He didn’t think Texas was a good fit for him but when he saw it for himself that all changed,” Henry said.

“It would be nice to be playing with one of my teammates, have someone there I know,” Henry said. “I have to do what’s best for myself at the end of the day, but it’s a better feeling with someone there that I already know.”

https://247sports.com/Player/Ira-Henry-46037653/

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Rice DT (all conference) Graduate Transfer Zach Abercrumbia.  Do we know anything about this guy?

has some Akiem Hicks in him: very active, heavy hands

would think he is a little light in the britches for our NT in the 3 DL set, but Herman and Orlando definitely like DL with his body shape, use of hands, and athleticism

Edited by pacman

36 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Let me save you some hand wringing. Cook and Green will be our starting corners next year and they will be very good. Maybe a step down from Boyd and Davis at first, but still very good. Behind them should be Kenyatta Watson and Boyce. The nickel is the biggest unknown to me. Thompson likely wins that spot and I would bet we will see Foster in that position in some packages, but I have no idea what is behind them. We are great with Safety and Joker position, but need to take some DBs next cycle for sure. 

Could see adimora seeing reps at nickel but foster would be my first choice to take over Thompson obviously. I think Thompson will be too inconsistent and they’ll have to make a move the halfway point

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

So what you’re is, Boyd and Davis were very, very good . Not sure I agree. 

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I will bet you money that cook does not start game 1.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I find this notion to be fucking stupid. Are you tacitly suggesting either:

a.) The OU job is NOT too big for a head coach to call plays or
b.) The reason OU can't win the big games is because Lincoln Riley spends too much time gobbling dicks and not enough time in other areas?

I find both concepts to be retarded. Listen, coaches gameplan as a group. Herman gives the offensive staff marching orders, they gameplan for how to attack the next week. Then the game unfolds in front of the coaches the same way in unfolds in front of us. It's not like Herman doesn't know his own fucking playbook. So if you're sitting there telling me it's just "too difficult" for Tom Herman to watch a game the same as we do, potentially see tendencies or weaknesses, and call a play from a playbook he basically fucking wrote, then I don't know what to tell you. But I reject the notion out of hand that a HC can't call his own plays and that it is too much of a drain on resources he should be devoting elsewhere. The offensive staff gameplans all week per a plan that head coach has a hand in crafting. They prepare the kids. The difference is literally a guy who sticks with his woobie and calls 3 straight plays they're comfortable with versus a guy who calls plays based on what he is seeing and adjusts. 

fixed that for ya,