Texas recruiting notes 2019

5 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

It should be obvious by now that there are good versions of this joke and bad versions of this joke.  If you're going to make this joke, it is worth trying to be new and creative about it.  Hard to believe that something less than a week old has already been beaten to death.  But I put nothing past Surly.

What I do ask is that when you fuckwits try to make this joke, do it in a new and interesting way.  Or don't do it at all and just post pics of Kate Beckinsale.

Some big buttons you’re putting out there for folks to push, fatkid. Good luck with dictating the terms of your mockery.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Some big buttons you’re putting out there for folks to push, fatkid. Good luck with dictating the terms of your mockery.  

So Katfid can’t tell black people apart? Is that the joke or am I stoned and mistaken?

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

So Katfid can’t tell black people apart? Is that the joke or am I stoned and mistaken?

Well, it starts with that and then it collapses for him into him being bitchy about the way in which he’s mocked for it. I mean, it’s important that he acts nonchalant about it, but as you can see in the post he made earlier, he’s in a lot of pain over the shame of it all. It’s a tough gig, being a beloved, prominent recruiting poster, but it’s a yoke he is the best prepared to carry when that fall from grace happens, clearly. 

1 minute ago, Gardner Barnes said:

The next person that posts about poor restaurant hygiene, peppercorns, how racist Katfid is (he is), Zoroastrianism, Oukadt, or LA area airports is taking some time off.

Some mod probably

Meh, with NSD2 now being a non-event, I imagine blacklab won't poke his head back on this thread again. We need more shitposting on the 2020 thread now to get the page number up before NDS1 when the mods will be around to crack down. Then we might be close enough by NSD2 to threadshit our way to 1000 pages.

• Like 2

As an aside it might be interesting and hilarious to have a shitposting list of off topic topics discussed on the 2020 thread.

Would probably have to define some topic minimum metrics - like 10 off topic on topic posts within a single 2 page run and at least 1 person bitching about the off topic posts.

Everything by zbt, phglem, and horn of the morning instantly disqualified of course

Gabe Brooks: Big 12 Superlatives for National Signing Day

National Signing Day for the 2019 football recruiting cycle has largely concluded. So now, 247Sports presents a conference-by-conference breakdown of superlatives to conclude Wednesday’s action. Unless noted otherwise, all player rankings listed are from the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. That includes the 247Sports Composite team recruiting rankings. Here's a look at the Big 12 Conference superlatives:

BEST CLASS - After the Early Signing Period, the Oklahoma Sooners owned the top recruiting class for the 2019 cycle in the Big 12 Conference. However, Texas surpassed the Sooners in the 247Sports Composite team recruiting rankings once five-star athlete Bru McCoy transferred into the Longhorns’ class after initially enrolling with USC. As it stands on the afternoon of National Signing Day, Texas sits at No. 3 nationally, while Oklahoma is next in the Big 12 at No. 6. Texas and OU give the Big 12 its first pair of top-six finishers on the 247Sports Composite team recruiting rankings since the same duo finished second and fifth, respectively, in 2010.

Texas winding up with McCoy is a microcosm of the Longhorns’ 2019 recruiting class. While Texas usually gets the majority of its players from within state borders, its 24-player group in this cycle features 12 prospects from outside the state of Texas. McCoy, now enrolled in Austin, is Texas’ highest-ranked player in the class at No. 9 nationally on the 247Sports Composite. He is 1 of 4 players from the state of California in this class to choose Texas.

SLEEPER CLASS - Baylor is ranked No. 4 in the Big 12 Conference and No. 35 nationally in the 247Sports Composite team recruiting rankings. Baylor added to an already solid class with the Wednesday morning signing of Jefferson (Ga.) three-star tight end/defensive end Garmon Randolph. The Bears made one of the biggest splashes in the conference on the first day of the Early Signing Period when they signed Odessa (Texas) Permian four-star athlete Peyton Powell, a former Texas pledge. Powell could get a shot at quarterback, but could also wind up at receiver or safety. Longtime four-star quarterback pledge Jacob Zeno also signed early to give the Bears two headliners at the top of the class. Baylor continues to stockpile versatile athletes on defense, such as outside linebacker Will Williams, outside linebacker Tyrone Brown, edge defender Matt Jones, and athlete Brandon White, among others.

Oklahoma State is another intriguing class when considering the work the Cowboys did to bolster their numbers and depth on both lines. Oklahoma State signed 19 prospects on the first day of the Early Signing Period; 10 of those were linemen. The Cowboys inked six on the defensive side of the line of scrimmage and four on offense. End Trace Ford -- a high three-star on the 247Sports Composite but a four-star on 247Sports’ final rankings update -- and tackle Jayden Jernigan are potential impact players on defense. And that total of 10 linemen does not even include OSU's top-ranked recruit, four-star tight end Grayson Boomer.

Another particular position unit to monitor resides in Iowa State’s top 50 class: the Cyclones’ running back haul with David Montgomery going pro. Iowa State signed four-stars Breece Hall and Jirehl Brock and three-star athlete Leonard Glass, who could be a versatile slot and backfield weapon to complement the more traditional backs. Hall and Brock, who are 247Sports Composite four-stars, are also Top247 four-star prospects, giving Iowa State its first pair of Top247 signees since the Top247’s inception in 2010, according to CycloneAlert.com’s Alex Halsted.

BIG RECRUITING WIN - Texas already had a commitment from four-star offensive tackle Javonne Shepherd, but there was plenty of speculation around Shepherd’s recruitment entering National Signing Day after he did not sign in December. The Longhorns inked the 6-foot-6, 327-pounder from Houston North Forest on Wednesday after he took January official visits to Texas A&M, Alabama, and Georgia. Rebuilding the numbers and talent on the offensive line has been a major priority for Texas for a couple of cycles. The Longhorns signed a trio of in-state four-star offensive tackles in the 2019 class: Tyler Johnson, Isaiah Hookfin, and Shepherd.

Another win worth noting was Kansas locking up four-star defensive end Steven Parker from Dallas South Oak Cliff. The former Texas Tech pledge took official visits to top contenders Nebraska and Kansas down the stretch, but his relationship with new KU receivers coach Emmett Jones -- who recruited him at Texas Tech -- likely played a key role in the Jayhawks landing a potential impact defender in the 2019 class. Furthermore, Kansas signed longtime Michigan pledge and in-state standout Amauri Pesek-Hickson, who re-opened his recruitment earlier this week, and also flipped Texas Tech three-star athlete pledge Velton Gardner and Kansas State three-star outside linebacker commit Gavin Potter on NSD.

Nevertheless, K-State got its own big recruiting win Wednesday, when the Wildcats signed Long Beach (Calif.) Poly three-star athlete Kenyon Reed, a top 140 overall prospect in California. UCLA led the 247Sports Crystal Ball 67 percent to 33 percent, but an official visit this past weekend to K-State turned the tide for the Cats with Reed. TCU’s strong class, ranked third in the Big 12 and 32nd nationally, was largely wrapped up entering NSD, but it’s worth noting that among the five signees who inked were longtime running back commit Darwin Barlow and DB pledge Keeyon Stewart, who committed Tuesday evening. TCU held on with Barlow, who USC and Florida State pursued down the stretch, including a January official visit to USC. Stewart, is ex-Texas Tech pledge, took visits to Utah, TCU, Louisville, and Texas Tech down the stretch, picking the Frogs over TTU.

TOP INCOMING RECRUIT - While Bru McCoy’s transfer to Texas put the Longhorns atop the league rankings, Oklahoma still snagged the conference’s highest-ranked recruit on the 247Sports Composite in five-star receiver Jadon Haselwood. The 6-foot-2 ½, 196-pound wideout from Ellenwood (Ga.) Cedar Grove is ranked No. 4 overall and the nation’s top offensive prospect in the 2019 recruiting class. He joins five-star Theo Wease, four-star Trejan Bridges, and four-star tight end Austin Stogner to give Oklahoma a lethal group of pass-catchers in this cycle.

SLEEPER RECRUIT - West Virginia signed Navarre (Fla.) three-star defensive tackle Jordan Jefferson on Wednesday. The 6-foot-4, 300-pounder owns college-ready size and shows impressive quickness off the ball in his senior film. West Virginia, Louisville, and Kansas State all pursued Jefferson after each offered him Jan. 22, joining Florida Atlantic in his final four. The Mountaineers won out for the late-riser and have an intriguing front-line piece on their hands.

Another notable late-cycle climber was Houston Clear Lake three-star edge defender Quinton Williams, who signed Wednesday with Texas Tech. Williams possesses a great frame in the 6-foot-5, 220-pound range and has played receiver and linebacker. He also plays basketball and competes in track and field. Because of his frame and multi-sport background, Williams is quite an interesting pickup for Texas Tech’s new coaching staff.

QB SIGNEES

Baylor: Jacob Zeno, San Antonio Jay -- No. 8 pro-style QB

Iowa State: Easton Dean, Altamont (Kan.) Labette County -- No. 21 dual-threat QB

Kansas: Thomas MacVittie, Mesa (Ariz.) Community College -- No. 2 JUCO pro-style QB

Kansas State: Chris Herron, Houston Langham Creek -- No. 28 athlete

Oklahoma: Spencer Rattler, Phoenix Pinnacle -- No. 1 pro-style QB

Oklahoma State: Brendan Costello, San Clemente (Calif.) -- No. 17 dual-threat QB

TCU: Max Duggan, Council Bluffs (Iowa) Lewis Central -- No. 5 dual-threat QB

Texas: Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves (Texas) -- No. 6 dual-threat QB

Texas Tech: Maverick McIvor, San Angelo (Texas) Central -- No. 19 dual-threat QB

West Virginia: Austin Kendall, Oklahoma graduate transfer

EARLY LOOK TO 2020 - Oklahoma is off to a strong start in the 2020 cycle. The Sooners landed their sixth commitment Tuesday from Keller (Texas) Central four-star receiver DJ Graham, a top 200 prospect in the 247Sports Composite national rankings. He joins a trio of top 100 prospects committed to the Sooners in five-star running back Jase McClellan (17), four-star jumbo athlete Drew Sanders (76), and four-star cornerback Darion Green-Warren (87). OU’s class ranks ninth nationally so far. Texas is next in the Big 12 at No. 19. The Longhorns’ class is headlined by local four-star dual-threat quarterback Hudson Card.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Scholz said:

The first mono-theistic religion from which the big 3 descend. 4K years old. Their numbers are declining.

Fun fact: neither Zoroastrianism nor Judaism were purely monotheistic in their original forms. What we consider to be Zoroastrianism nowadays was largely codified in the 4th century in Persia during the Sassanid Empire.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

Why is it that we are ranked better on 247 compared to ESPN? Is it just because they have the players graded differently?

ESPN is shitty at evaluating players. WHOOP! there it is. 

You smell like an aggy. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

1 hour ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Sweet Jesus these are good 

While they may be good, I would not have put Javonne's edit, with his mouth open to the photo above along with "TOTAL PACKAGE", underneath a photo of a guy's package.

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2019-02-07-at-12-37-41-AM.pn

PAGE 1

Screen-Shot-2019-02-07-at-12-41-01-AM.pn

I would have placed Javonne's edit on the top row of one of his three composite sheets.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Fun fact: neither Zoroastrianism nor Judaism were purely monotheistic in their original forms. What we consider to be Zoroastrianism nowadays was largely codified in the 4th century in Persia during the Sassanid Empire.

I thought Judaism was defined by the Old Testament. Are you going back to what was written in the dead sea scrolls? And is that Judaism? And if Christianity came from Judaism or the Old Testament, I don't see how you could say that it is strictly monotheistic either since it too would have to be traced back to the dead sea scrolls.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colt45 said:

Why is it that we are ranked better on 247 compared to ESPN? Is it just because they have the players graded differently?

Because ESPN doesn't know shit about rankings, they laid off most of their recruiting staff and cut a lot of the funding.  They don't do the leg work or have the capacity to do the leg work - they rank based off of offers and half ass analysis.  After that process is complete, they treat us to Tom "I know a lot about little" Luginbill talking out of his ass for an hour and half. 

Does that help? 

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

I thought Judaism was defined by the Old Testament. Are you going back to what was written in the dead sea scrolls? And is that Judaism? And if Christianity came from Judaism or the Old Testament, I don't see how you could say that it is strictly monotheistic either since it too would have to be traced back to the dead sea scrolls.

god doesn’t exist. 

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 3

34 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
55 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:
Maybe this thread isn’t the best place to make assertions about religion(s). That and politics will ruin a conversation or a thread in a hurry.

If you don't believe in God after this recruiting cycle, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm a Bruliever.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So today, UCLA lost one kid to Kansas state and another to a walk on offer from Washington?

yikes. 

The UW kid is from Bellevue, so that's almost excusable.  

That other kid is from Long Beach, and he flipped to KSU "after visiting Manhatten."  WTF is that kid thinking?????

• Like 1

Suchomel posted this about Braun a couple days ago

Spoiler

I checked around today to follow up on Parker Braun, the two-time all-ACC OL from Georgia Tech who will be transferring for the 2019 season. 

Braun took an unofficial visit to Florida last weekend. I'm told it went well, but he's still very much looking forward to his Texas official visit next weekend (February 15). It'll be interesting to see how Texas handles Braun's visit. On one hand, you want to blow him away with everything your school has to offer, on the other, Braun isn't the type that's going to be blown away by a lot of bells and whistles. 

The factors that are important to him ... what Master's programs will be available, how he fits and if he can make an immediate impact, the strength and conditioning program. 

One note of interest ... Braun feels his he may be able to make himself attractive for NFL teams by doing some cross-training at center and guard. He's had conversations with Herb Hand about that. 

Ohio State has also been in contact and I'm told Braun is a maybe to visit there, but nothing is set up.

He also said A&M was overconfident on Shepherd up until the very end 

Spoiler

I just got audio sent to me for Javonne Shepherd's signing announcement.

Gotta admit, I find it funny that there were a bunch of A&M reporters there asking A&M questions, when in fact this one has been done. Shepherd told me on Sunday night, as soon as he got home from his visit, that it was going to be Texas and I confirmed that with other sources on Monday.

Yet the A&M were still swarming him today. Of course, A&M was also extremely confident they were going to get him after he visited there. Seems to happen a lot in that market where they're a bit overconfident in their chances.

2 hours ago, futureman said:

god doesn’t exist. 

While there may not be proof of the existence of God, if you are going to assert that no gods exist you must demonstrate that no gods exist. As it a near impossibility to prove a negative, the best practice is to not make assertion like this. Instead, simply force the deists to prove their God does exist by providing evidence that can be tested and stand up to scientific scrutiny.

You are just making yourself look like an ass here because this is a recruiting thread and the subject matter has fuckall to do with your statement.

Edited by HOOK'EMHOOAH