Epic Tourist Stupidity

Doc Reeves

Bitch be lucky she’s alive.

‘Everybody hates a tourist, especially one who thinks it’s all such a laugh’

A tourist in Australia has gone viral after posting a video of themself holding a blue-ringed octopus. But it hasn’t gone viral just because the animal is beautiful. The blue-ringed octopus is one of the most venomous creatures in Australia and the unnamed tourist is lucky to be alive.

The chilling video, which appears to have been originally posted to TikTok, found its way to Reddit over the weekend where Australians started to point out just how dangerous it was to handle a blue-ringed octopus. Commenters shared their own stories about the  animal, which reportedly carries enough venom to kill 26 full grown adults in a span of minutes.

The venom of the blue-ringed octopus, which contains the neurotoxin tetrodotoxin, causes paralysis and the sting is so small that most people have no idea that they’ve been poisoned until it’s too late. 

To make things even more horrifying, there’s no anti-venom available for the blue-ringed octopus. The only known treatment is to massage the victim’s heart until the venom works its way throughout a person’s body in a matter of hours.

One person on Reddit even told the story of an unnamed victim who had been paralyzed on the beach with their eyes open while facing the sun.

“They survived, but nobody had really thought about the fact they’d been staring up into full midday sunlight for a couple of hours throughout the process with their eyes wide open, pupils fully dilated,” the Redditer said. “Total paralysis, easy for the first-aiders to not think to cover their eyes. Caused irreversible damage. They permanently lost their vision.”

Australia gets a bad rap for having dangerous animals, but most locals believe that the fear is overblown. It’s not overblown when it comes to the blue-ringed octopus though. If you see one in the water, let it be.

Tourist stupidity to pretty common in Montana

A 23-year-old Oregon man essentially dissolved inside a hot spring at Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming after he accidentally fell into it.
The bizarre incident happened back in June, when Colin Nathaniel Scott went to the park with his sister to find a place to "hot pot."

According to a recently released report from park officials, Scott and his sister went to an unauthorized area near the Norris Geyser.
"They were specifically moving in that area for a place that they could potentially get into and soak," Deputy Chief Ranger Lorant Veress told CNN affiliate KULR. "I think they call it hot potting."
Scott had reached down to check the temperature of a spring when he slipped and fell into it. Rescuers later found Scott's body inside the pool, but couldn't retrieve it because of a lightning storm in the area. When they came back the next day, no remains were found beneath the spring's churning, acidic waters.

Edited by Seasick Sailor

See also

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK -- A tourist who got too close to a male bison in Yellowstone National Park was gored when the animal charged her Wednesday.

The incident marks the fourth person injured by Yellowstone wildlife in just over a month.

According to park officials, 59-year-old Kim Hancock of Santa Rosa, California was part of a crowd of people who got within ten yards of the bull bison as it walked along a boardwalk at Fountain Paint Pot in the Lower Geyser Basin. At one point, officials say, some people were within 15 feet of the animal.

The bison reportedly became agitated when it crossed the boardwalk and charged the crowd, goring Hancock. The bison then left the area.

4 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

Another affect of social media / selfie-culture on ecotourism.

Falling deaths are increasing, vandalism is increasing, volume of visitors is increasing - destroying the things people want to enjoy.

Last September I went to Alaska with my wife and she made me stop halfway on a pull bridge to take a damn selfie. We're 500 feet above roaring rapids and rocks not to mention I have a big fear of heights. She's gonna get me killed one day.

I cross the red river bridge twice a day going to and from work. One morning I’m coming into work right around daylight and this dumbass is stopped in the left lane on the bridge taking pictures of some fucking birds. I almost killed him and myself because he needed to get a few pictures.

17 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

A few years back I was hiking in Big Bend and came across some assholes feeding cheetos to the birds. Unfortunately, this activity did not kill the tourists, but I wanted to.

Well you could have shot them. Or were you not packing at the time?

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

A few years back I was hiking in Big Bend and came across some assholes feeding cheetos to the birds. Unfortunately, this activity did not kill the tourists, but I wanted to.

Interesting, I would have guessed you thought The Cheeto was for the birds.

Also, does Alka-Seltzer work on Grackles?  Because we have an excess of Grackles.

Edited by clapclapclap

Couple recently fell to their death in Yosemite (few months ago).  Had a travel blog and seemed to fancy themselves real “yolo” types.  It was recently revealed that they had some level of alcohol in their system. Not sure if that was the cause or not.  

Just to weed out a few shitheads social media should promote those Yellowstone “hot pot” locations.  “Follow the smell of sulphur and dive into ito bubbling awesomeness.”  Park rangers and other “squares”will tell you it’s dangerous but don’t listen. They just want to keep you from being awesome. 

Intentionally looking for a hot pot is its own level of stupidity, but I'm surprised that there aren't more accidental deaths in Yellowstone in those hot springs.  The amount of pushing and shoving to get the right photograph is crazy and those tourist buses only allot so much time per stop. 

A couple dozen tourists pile out and go racing to the springs, get their pics or selfies, and race back to the bus.  T&P for anyone in their way - they don't give a fuck.

5 hours ago, EE2B said:

I cross the red river bridge twice a day going to and from work. One morning I’m coming into work right around daylight and this dumbass is stopped in the left lane on the bridge taking pictures of some fucking birds. I almost killed him and myself because he needed to get a few pictures.

DougO? 

23 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I pretty much gave all the animals in Australia a wide berth.  The Roos will kick your ass, the octopusi will melt your heart, and fucking hardcore snakes.  Kept my eyes on the wimmenz and drank beer for 4 months.  Cool place. 

my kids were telling me last night about some kind of jellyfish in australia that can kill you with their venom in less than 2 seconds.  no thanks.

a few months ago i had a couple family members with their kids (oldest was 7) go on a hike in colorado.  they saw a moose on their hike and decided to 1.)  follow it and then 2.)  get within 20 feet to take selfies.  they posted pics on facebook and when told they shouldn't have done that one of them said "we knew what we were doing". 

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

my kids were telling me last night about some kind of jellyfish in australia that can kill you with their venom in less than 2 seconds.  no thanks.

Im almost certain I watched a show on a jelly fish that will swim up your urethra.  Pretty sure it was another fascinating gift from the Aussies.  I’ll make an attempt to look it up when I get done being lazy. 

Eta- I was mixing up the Irukandji jellyfish (bad mofo) and Candiru (cock loving assholeish fish). 

Edited by fattyflattie

An Oregon man who died and “dissolved” after falling into a boiling, acidic hot spring at Yellowstone national park last June had been looking for a place to swim, officials investigating the incident have concluded.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/17/yellowstone-oregon-man-body-dissolved-hot-spring

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I pretty much gave all the animals in Australia a wide berth.  The Roos will kick your ass, the octopusi will melt your heart, and fucking hardcore snakes.  Kept my eyes on the wimmenz and drank beer for 4 months.  Cool place. 

Don't forget the Emus. They won a freaking war against the Australian military.

An Oregon man who died and “dissolved” after falling into a boiling, acidic hot spring at Yellowstone national park last June had been looking for a place to swim, officials investigating the incident have concluded.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/17/yellowstone-oregon-man-body-dissolved-hot-spring

Damn, you’d think he’d have learned his lesson the first time that happened...
  • Like 1

We took our 7 and 4 year old to the Grand Canyon last year.  There was a constant stream of people climbing over rails to get selfies on the edge or have their pic taken with their arms raised up or in a yoga pose.  We just kept telling our kids about the stupid lady who fell from ooh aaaaaaaaaaah point and died

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/destinations/united-states/arizona/grand-canyon-national-park/hiking-grand-canyon-safety-tips/

not too long after we got back, this happened:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-breaking/2018/07/07/illinois-man-falls-death-south-rim-grand-canyon/765916002/

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

You forgot the bird eating spider:

https://secure.i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01080/earth-graphics-200_1080291a.jpg

Also, I think the grand canyon averages a couple of falling deaths per year.

pic won't embed. Lets try this one:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTFubgrF9lowySYGHIuvo

Edited by High Plains Drifter

Yep the falling deaths linked above, hot springs/suffocation/acid from Yellowstone, and a teen who died at Horseshoe on the Colorado all came to mind when I made my comment about social media and selfie-culture.

“This will look awesome on my Insta feeeee whoaaaaaaaaAAAHH!”

It was either the article about the gal falling at Horseshoe or a couple that died on some Fjord overlook in Norway that had a long paragraph about the additional ecological impact and damage these idiots are causing. I can’t find a link but some dumbass chaperone videoed himself knocking over million year old rock formations in Utah.

Yellowstone was such a beating.  God damn traffic so everyone can take picutres of  a damn deer a thousand yards away.  And I went in the fall when kids should have been in school.

What time in the fall? We went the last week of September 2017 and other than the Chinese tourist buses, it was empty.

We took our 7 and 4 year old to the Grand Canyon last year.  There was a constant stream of people climbing over rails to get selfies on the edge or have their pic taken with their arms raised up or in a yoga pose.  We just kept telling our kids about the stupid lady who fell from ooh aaaaaaaaaaah point and died
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/destinations/united-states/arizona/grand-canyon-national-park/hiking-grand-canyon-safety-tips/
not too long after we got back, this happened:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-breaking/2018/07/07/illinois-man-falls-death-south-rim-grand-canyon/765916002/

The biggest danger with the Grand Canyon is getting locked up in a ghost town jail.

8d782fe247fb48bd1d79c61a9b497c1b.jpg

26 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Yellowstone was such a beating.  God damn traffic so everyone can take picutres of  a damn deer a thousand yards away.  And I went in the fall when kids should have been in school.

Go in the winter via snowmobile. Traffic is regulated into the park and it is way easier to spot wildlife with snow on the ground. I finally got to see wolves in the park this way. 

On 1/29/2019 at 9:29 AM, Llano Estacado said:

Another affect of social media / selfie-culture on ecotourism.

Falling deaths are increasing, vandalism is increasing, volume of visitors is increasing - destroying the things people want to enjoy.

Darwinism is a good thing. Fewer duck-face millenial eco-warriors is not a bad thing.

16 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

a few months ago i had a couple family members with their kids (oldest was 7) go on a hike in colorado.  they saw a moose on their hike and decided to 1.)  follow it and then 2.)  get within 20 feet to take selfies.  they posted pics on facebook and when told they shouldn't have done that one of them said "we knew what we were doing". 

A Møøse once bit my sister.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

What time in the fall? We went the last week of September 2017 and other than the Chinese tourist buses, it was empty.

Answered your own question.  

Actually it was early September.  Could have been a weekend.