Mizzou really is SEC now

mdmost

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Hit with 3 years probation and a postseason football ban for 2019 due to a former tutor doing athletes homework and exams for them. So maybe Kelly Bryant goes back into the portal. 

I bet the athletes also assisted in cleaning her pipes in return. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Hit with 3 years probation and a postseason football ban for 2019 due to a former tutor doing athletes homework and exams for them. So maybe Kelly Bryant goes back into the portal. 

Sucks for Kelly Bryant??  Any idea who else he was considering??

I hadn't even heard of this story.  Was this a well known investigation?  Bryant has to feel dumb.  Has to be pretty damn close to past the point he could possibly transfer anywhere and get enrolled for spring.  And I'll still never understand how UNC skated.

Edited by Skipper

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I hadn't even heard of this story.  Was this a well known investigation?  Bryant has to feel dumb.  Has to be pretty damn close to past the point he could possibly transfer anywhere and get enrolled for spring.  And I'll still never understand how UNC skated. 

UNC skated for 2 reasons:

1. They had to be dealt with under the old system not the new penalty matrix that is much more hard core

2. The NCAA had to punt on the issue of clustering and class work because they could not get anyone to roll that this was purely a no show gig for athletes. Lots of smoke, but not fire which was required under the old system.

The more I think about Bryant though, why would he leave because of a post-season ban.  It's not like they had any legitimate shot at winning the east or going to a major bowl.  If he has a good year he may have skipped the Belk Bowl or Texas Bowl anyways.

• Like 1

Just now, Eggo said:

Baylor still hasn't received any (off-the-field) punishment.

It is still going through the process. I would guess that they have their infractions meeting in Feb/March/April if I remember correctly based on when they were sent their notice of infractions in Nov.

So they should get their penalties just in time for the 2019 season

Stewart Mandel‏Verified account @slmandel 2m2 minutes ago

In its report, the Committee on Infractions directly addresses the difference between Mizzou and UNC's cases, which is, essentially, Mizzou admitted to there being fraud and UNC did not.

So dont admit to doing shit wrong you idiots, then the NCAA cant really do much because they lack the power to truly investigate

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So dont admit to doing shit wrong you idiots, then the NCAA cant really do much because they lack the power to truly investigate

This is fucking horrible.  Even if true, how do you write in a report that one school is being punished more severely for acknowledging the issue vs continuing to cover it up.

Nice precedent you've created there. 

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

That's unreal.  I can't believe universities continue to allow such a completely inept organization govern them.   Blow it up

I think they prefer this situation than having a really competent and able organization govern them. I mean what might happen then?

32 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Missouri is aggy wet dream.

They beat our ass across the board on the way out of the B12
They have already won their division in the SEC and been to an SEC title game
Now they cement their SEC status by gettin busted for cheating.

Street SEC Cred

That's not going to help student recruitment at a school that recently had such a nasty race relations scandal that the overall enrollment dropped, causing layoffs and elimination of courses.  This happened at the same time as the MO legislature passed brutal state higher ed budget cuts .

In an effort to manage a $49 million budget shortfall, the University of Missouri will eliminate 185 positions and lay off 30 staff members.

In addition, the university will reduce travel, eliminate some courses with low enrollment, cut down on sponsorships of some events and convert several printed products into online-only publications, said MU Chancellor Alexander N. Cartwright and Vice Chancellor for Finance Rhonda Gibler in an announcement made public Thursday.

"We are focused on student success, strengthening our research productivity and engaging with Missourians to help find solutions to grand challenges," Cartwright said. And despite the announced cuts, he said, “the future is very bright for Mizzou.”

The university has wrestled with financial challenges for more than a year, blaming a reduction in state funding and a decline in enrollment since the racially charged campus protests in 2015. The following year, incoming freshman enrollment dropped below 5,000 students for the first time since

While MU is expecting this fall's freshman class to grow more than 14 percent, "We are still graduating more people than we are enrolling," said Christian Basi, university spokesman. "We have one more large class (incoming seniors) that will graduate in May 2019. At that point, we will begin to see a leveling or slight increase in our overall enrollment."

The cuts come out of the university's general revenues budget of about $500 million, which includes money from state allocation, tuition and research grants. The university's total budget, including MU Health Care, is about $2.2 billion.

The cuts were not evenly spread across campus units. Some slashed as much as 12 percent.

State cuts into higher education funding have been felt across all four University of Missouri System campuses. Last June, $101 million and 474 jobs were eliminated, with more than 300 alone at MU in Columbia.

In a little more than a year Mizzou has cut about 485 positions, although Cartwright said some other positions may have been added.

He said elimination of the last 185 jobs saves the university $11 million. All 30 of those laid off are members of the university staff, not faculty.

“You cannot cut your way to excellence,” Cartwright said. “While we will be scaling back certain activities, we continue to move forward with major investments."

Specifically, he noted the MU Translational Precision Medicine Complex — a public-private partnership to work on disease treatment and prevention.

In addition, the university is putting "more than $100 million toward scholarships and graduate student support — an increase of more than $8 million," Cartwright said.

Starting this fall the university will cover full tuition and fees for admitted students who received federal Pell Grants. And the winners of ROTC scholarships will get free housing and food their freshman year.

Last month the University of Missouri Board of Curators approved a 2.1 percent tuition hike, but university leaders decided to charge only 1 percent more, as part of a deal with legislators who agreed to spare another $70 million in cuts.

Lawmakers passed a state budget bill calling for core funding to remain at last year's $395.8 million level.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Did they cover up multiple rapes?

I don't know about multiple, but they did have a member of the swimming team kill herself after the University administration ignored her rape complaint against several football players.  They should have gotten the damn hammer for that, too.

https://deadspin.com/how-mizzou-failed-an-alleged-rape-victim-who-killed-her-1508367979

An Outside the Lines investigation into the alleged rape and subsequent suicide of former University of Missouri swimmer Sasha Menu Courey has raised some serious questions about the university's role in letting Menu Courey slip through the cracks. Everything about this story will make you feel like shit.

Before committing suicide in June of 2011, Menu Courey claimed that she was raped by a member of the Missouri football team. According to documents uncovered by OTL, Menu Courey had consensual sex while under the influence of alcohol with a former football player named Gil Moye. Afterwards, another football player allegedly entered the room and raped Menu Courey. In an online chat with a rape crisis counselor, she described the attack:

"[We] were falling asleep & then i heard the [door] open & some other guy walked in & locked the door & i couldnt really see who it was & i never saw a face the whole time.... but i remember just sitting upright in bed at the sound of someone walking in. & i just remember feeling really scared thinking that the two guys had planned this or something. so my first thought was figure out who this other person was in case so that if i needed the informaton i would have it later... the guy told me his name & then he pulled down his pants & put on a condom & just knew i was screwed ..."

[...]

"… I started to panick & as i still on the phone trying to reach one of them tears start going down & the guy just lift up my dress & next thing i knew he inserts from behind. by that point tears were falling more but i wasnt loud & didnt anything. and then i just snapped and kind pushed him away & yelled no! and then he just left."

A friend of Menu Courey's and a former wide receiver on the football team, Rolandis Woodland, claims that Menu Courey was actually raped by several football players, but wasn't aware of that fact because she was drunk. (Woodland claims to have seen a video of the alleged rape.)

According to OTL's report, at least six campus medical officials and a Missouri athletics department staffer knew about Menu Courey's alleged rape while she was still alive. The administration was also made aware of a Columbia Daily Tribune article about Menu Courey published after her suicide, which mentioned a diary entry of hers describing the alleged rape. And yet:

Under Title IX law, a media account is considered relevant to the Department of Education in determining whether officials were notified of possible sexual violence involving a student. No details were offered in the article, but Courey's parents and reporter David Briggs say no one at the university asked for more information after it was published. On the contrary, Mike Menu and Lynn Courey say, Rhodenbaugh began to cut off all contact with them. Further, they say, when they attended an on-campus memorial service, they were bothered that no Missouri officials had asked about the alleged assault mentioned in the article.

As of Thursday, the university had not taken any steps to investigate the alleged rape of Sasha Menu Courey. When asked by OTL why this was the case, university spokesman Chad Moller responded via email:

"MU officials did not try to obtain information from medical personnel who treated Sasha about any sexual incident she may have reported while seeking treatment," he wrote in an email. "Medical personnel employed by MU have privacy and confidentiality obligations to their patients and MU respects those obligations. Sasha had not provided any authorization for MU officials to access her medical records in that regard, nor do MU officials have any such authorization from Sasha's parents. As soon as MU officials became aware of this sexual incident while reviewing Sasha's e-mail account in response to a records request from Sasha's parents, they wrote to Sasha's parents and asked whether they wanted an investigation to occur. Sasha's parents have not responded."

In April of 2011, Menu Courey tried to kill herself in a motel room by slashing her wrists. Police responded, and had to pepper spray and taser her in order to get the razor out of her hand. While she was struggling with the officers she yelled, "The system failed me! The system failed me!"

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

The more I think about Bryant though, why would he leave because of a post-season ban.  It's not like they had any legitimate shot at winning the east or going to a major bowl.  If he has a good year he may have skipped the Belk Bowl or Texas Bowl anyways.

This right here.  Bryant is going anywhere.  He's probably glad he won't have to be a douche and skip the bowl game.  Now he can pretend to be a team player and act like he's disappointed he won't get to play in one.

Dear Surly Sirs
Do not throw stones in this one.

Kind regards,
Athletes and Tutors

PS...

Seriously, how is this even a violation? I know it's against the rules, but it's S.O.P. Some of the least academically capable people you've ever met (or never met, but cheered for) have been on the Dean's List and Academic All Americans. Do you think they just buckled down?

I once knew a tutor at a school...

"He'll never be able to understand Algebra. I'd be better off talking to his dogs. I can waste my time teaching him, or I can do his work for 30 minutes twice a week, get the check, and save myself 4 hours a week. The way I see it, I make more money doing the work."

I once knew a TA at a school...

"I didn't even know he was in my class. I think he had a zero last year. He has an A now. Never comes to class, except test day. He'll be eligible next year, so I guess that's important."

SEC must be trying to get MU to transfer to BiG during the next round.

Poor Bill. The way to avoid trouble with "disgruntled former tutors" is to not cheat. I know that's not the SEC way.
Goober.

Did you miss the part about her being a rogue actor? I don’t believe there was any finding that anyone in a position of authority directed, encouraged, or even knew what the tutor was doing.

But the narrative of this being solely on one person is also bs spin by the Mizzou AD. It’s not just on the tutor, it’s on the student-athletes who allowed her to do their coursework as well.