Mass College Admission Cheating Scandal

Js1

TMZ:

Felicity Huffman has thrown in the towel in her college admissions cheating scandal ... pleading guilty, along with 12 other parents and one coach.

The former "Desperate Housewives" star was one of 14 people who entered guilty pleas Monday. She pled guilty to conspiracy to commit mail fraud as well as honest services mail fraud.

Felicity Huffman, 56, of Los Angeles, Calif, paid Rick Singer $15,000 to rig her daughter's SAT test. The girl had twice the amount of time as normal to take the exam and the proctor corrected her answers afterward.

Huffman released a statement saying, "I am in full acceptance of my guilt, and with deep regret and shame over what I have done, I accept full responsibility for my actions and will accept the consequences that stem from those actions."

She continues, "I am ashamed of the pain I have caused my daughter, my family, my friends, my colleagues and the educational community."

As for sentencing ... no word. TMZ broke the story, our sources in the prosecutor's office say they wanted some prison time. The prosecutor recommends a sentence to the judge, and the judge has the final word.

Lori Loughlin and her husband were not part of the plea deal.

Harvard fencing coach sells 550K house for close to 1M to the father of a future fencing student/athlete.  Father ultimately sells house for big loss.  It's hard to tell if the coach got a kid into Harvard or not. The applicant's older brother was on the fencing team as well but looks to have actively participated.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/04/04/bought-fencing-coach-house-then-his-son-got-into-harvard/EIWVMIxUFQ1XweY1xfB1GK/story.html

37 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Not that I feel sorry for any of these people, but the honest services mail/wire fraud charge is often bull shit.  You could federalize just about anything.

mail fraud is the go-to charge to take almost anyone down. Its got a max sentence of something like 5 years per charge. so if you get popped with 5 charges thats a max of 25 years in the pokey.  and the best part is, the mail fraud statute specifically says its mail fraud even if the defendant didnt use the mail themselves, but the victim did by communicating with the defendant.

I also think they may have updated the statute to include wire transfers via any electronic means, so that kind of overlaps with wire fraud.

In Skilling vs. US, three justices (Scalia, Thomas and Kennedy) argued that the honest services mail fraud statute is unconstitutionally vague.  I would agree.  For the private school defendants in these cases, they might have an argument.  But that's a lot to hang your hat on when you are almost certain to be convicted in the trial court.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'd wager she is ashamed because of that it does to her daughter. I give her points for being forthright and not fighting/ dragging it out.

I'd wager her lawyers told her there was no way to wiggle out of it, so plead guilty, and because she's rich and famous she'll end up doing some community service and paying a fine.  Zero jail time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiralOut said:

I'd wager her lawyers told her there was no way to wiggle out of it, so plead guilty, and because she's rich and famous she'll end up doing some community service and paying a fine.  Zero jail time.

She's gonna do time I think.  All who plead guilty will IMO.  They do not fuck around in federal court.

Edited by smwhorn

Picturing Aunt Becky have a session with a Prison Life Consultant is awesome.  

920x920.jpg

"During lockdown you'll be fed food loaf.  Man, it sucks.  It all sucks but that's one part that really sucks.  Here are 97 other things that will totally suck."

Though the recitation of statutory maximum sentence sounds really serious, clicking through to the plea agreements reveals that the relatively low dollar amounts in these frauds entails relatively low guideline sentencing ranges. Specifically, for Felicity Huffman the government calculates in the plea agreement a guideline range at offense level 9 to result in a sentence range of 4 to 10 months. Notably, Huffman disputes the amount of "loss or gain" in her offense and suggests her guideline sentencing range is only 0 to 6 months.  And, significantly, the government agrees to advocate for only the low end of its calculated range, so it will be seeking only a four month sentence for Huffman.

https://sentencing.typepad.com/sentencing_law_and_policy/2019/04/big-batch-of-federal-plea-deals-with-relatively-low-sentencing-ranges-in-college-admissions-scandal.html

13 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Not to be that guy, but I'm pretty sure it would be prison time, not jail time. 

And my guess is that some time will be served.

TMZ:

Lori Loughlin and her husband are in a way worse position than Felicity Huffman ... because the huge amount they allegedly paid in bribes to get their daughters into USC could land them in prison for 2 YEARS MINIMUM ... TMZ has learned.

Sources connected to the case tell us ... all of the parents in the college cheating scandal have been offered plea deals, but prosecutors will only accept pleas with prison time attached.

As we reported, Felicity copped a plea Monday, along with 12 other parents. The remaining 37 individuals charged -- including Lori and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli -- have been offered plea deals, with varying recommendations for prison sentences, largely determined by the amount they paid in bribes and whether they accept responsibility for what they did.

Felicity's plea would enable her to serve as little as 4 months in prison. The problem for Lori and Mossimo is that they paid $500,000 to allegedly bribe the crew coach, and the amount raises the MINIMUM PRISON SENTENCE IN A PLEA DEAL TO A RANGE OF 2 TO 2 1/2 YEARS.

Our sources say prosecutors have given all defendants an ultimatum ... reach a plea deal QUICKLY or else they will go to a Federal Grand Jury and add charges, including money laundering, which significantly raises the low end of prison time.

The funny part in all of this to me is if they can go after parents for bribing to get kids into college, go after shoe companies for paying off kids to go to various schools, then why can’t they go after the schools and boosters paying kids to go to college?

It is almost like this fell in the Feds lap and  if you combine it with the Coaches FBI probe you have a much bigger net look at other irregularities at colleges at universities.

Does this move help build a ground work of precedent to attack irregularities in the college entrance process, in all forms?

Are we getting close to the argument that paying an athlete violates their income restrictions on their financial aid form? 

I have a hard time believing that it is just a coincidence that there have been 3 high profile groups of cases/trails regarding university selection in the past 12 months. What is the end game here?

Once it happens 

Twice it’s a coincidence 

Third time you can argue a pattern

Edited by Laxtonto

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Does this move help build a ground work of precedent to attack irregularities in the college entrance process, in all forms?

Are we getting close to the argument that paying an athlete violates their income restrictions on their financial aid form? 

It could lead to no reduced entry standards for athletes.  Lots of good with that and a lot of bad for high entry requirement schools like Texas.

17 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

The funny part in all of this to me is if they can go after parents for bribing to get kids into college, go after shoe companies for paying off kids to go to various schools, then why can’t they go after the schools and boosters paying kids to go to college?

It is almost like this fell in the Feds lap and  if you combine it with the Coaches FBI probe you have a much bigger net look at other irregularities at colleges at universities.

I have a hard time believing that it is just a coincidence that there have been 3 high profile groups of cases/trails regarding university selection in the past 12 months. What is the end game here?

Once it happens 

Twice it’s a coincidence 

Third time you can argue a pattern

If they blew up the AAU, it would be like the end of the lawyer joke - "it's a good start."  You would blow up about 60% of the stench and toxic waste that is collegiate sports (even the minor ones, as this thread/topic shows).

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

TMZ:

Lori Loughlin and her husband are in a way worse position than Felicity Huffman ... because the huge amount they allegedly paid in bribes to get their daughters into USC could land them in prison for 2 YEARS MINIMUM ... TMZ has learned.

Sources connected to the case tell us ... all of the parents in the college cheating scandal have been offered plea deals, but prosecutors will only accept pleas with prison time attached.

As we reported, Felicity copped a plea Monday, along with 12 other parents. The remaining 37 individuals charged -- including Lori and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli -- have been offered plea deals, with varying recommendations for prison sentences, largely determined by the amount they paid in bribes and whether they accept responsibility for what they did.

Felicity's plea would enable her to serve as little as 4 months in prison. The problem for Lori and Mossimo is that they paid $500,000 to allegedly bribe the crew coach, and the amount raises the MINIMUM PRISON SENTENCE IN A PLEA DEAL TO A RANGE OF 2 TO 2 1/2 YEARS.

Our sources say prosecutors have given all defendants an ultimatum ... reach a plea deal QUICKLY or else they will go to a Federal Grand Jury and add charges, including money laundering, which significantly raises the low end of prison time.

Is USC really so competitive that you need to pay $500k to get your daughter in? I figured being the daughter of a relatively famous actress would be enough on its own.

38 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Is USC really so competitive that you need to pay $500k to get your daughter in? I figured being the daughter of a relatively famous actress would be enough on its own.

Huffman paying 15k to have her daughters SAT scores doctored sounds reasonable to me.  At least the economics work out.  15k is nothing in the grand scheme of things as far as what a school could provide in terms of career opportunities over another school.  When you bump up to 500k then the economics don't work out at all.  That's all about keeping up with the Joneses.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

34 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Silly that she paid $500K for her daughter to get into USC only to see Bru McCoy transfer to Texas.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

From all appearances, the Loughlin daughter is as dumb as a post, so yeah, I can see $500k being the going rate for that level of stupidity.

Really. That girl is dumb.

6 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Huffman paying 15k to have her daughters SAT scores doctored sounds reasonable to me.  At least the economics work out.  15k is nothing in the grand scheme of things as far as what a school could provide in terms of career opportunities over another school.  When you bump up to 500k then the economics don't work out at all.  That's all about keeping up with the Joneses.

This is exactly where I have been on this.  $500k is serious dough and would be better spent (obviously) as a nest egg gift rather than allowing your vapid daughters to flame out of school.

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

From all appearances, the Loughlin daughter is as dumb as a post, so yeah, I can see $500k being the going rate for that level of stupidity.

Really. That girl is dumb.

Look forward to seeing her on tour at the Yellow Rose.

40 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

I have wondered this also.  I know 2 families from Dallas who each have 2 kids currently at USC.  All four of the kids are relatively smart but nothing out of the ordinary.  I have always figured that moderate grades and the ability to write a healthy check would meet the 'stringent' USC admission standards.  I have also assumed that being famous, or from a famous family, would go a long way toward admission.  That 500k seems like it could have just been legitimately offered to the USC development office with a comment to the USC representative that they have a daughter who has applied and they are really excited for her to attend and it would have been taken care of.  Just seems unnecessary to have gone down this path for USC.  I'm guessing the girls are dumb as a box of rocks, maybe they just don't test well. ha ha.  Even with that, I think they could have easily gotten them accepted with a legitimate gift to USC and a quick conversation.