anybody a lodge member?

Gil Bang

Joined the Moose Lodge about 30 years ago while living in very rural North Carolina. It was the only way to get access to a swimming pool because the hicks didn't have a public pool. I suspect it was by design that the entire membership was of the Anglo variety. They did have the good sense to hire a big titted high school bimbo as a lifeguard though so I give them credit for that. 

7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Joined the Moose Lodge about 30 years ago while living in very rural North Carolina. It was the only way to get access to a swimming pool because the hicks didn't have a public pool. I suspect it was by design that the entire membership was of the Anglo variety. They did have the good sense to hire a big titted high school bimbo as a lifeguard though so I give them credit for that. 

Yeah growing up in south central Texas we had the Lions Club who did that same thing.   Private pool, members and sponsored guests only.  Fortunately that has changed now.  

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I joined the local Elks lodge.  Cool location, decent food, cheap drinks. 

Meanwhile, I'm about 45 years younger than the average member. 

My parents did the same.  They were big ballroom dancers and the local Elks had a couple of Saturdays a month where they hosted a local big band orchestra.  So they joined for that and discovered they had pretty good food on the cheap too.  They were in their late 70s and appeared to be younger than most.  However the main meeting hall was the most "smoked-in" room I have ever set foot in (and I have been going to AA meetings for 20 years, so I know what's up), so they might actually have been older.

On 3/15/2019 at 10:54 PM, Gil Bang said:

I joined the local Elks lodge.  Cool location, decent food, cheap drinks. 

Meanwhile, I'm about 45 years younger than the average member. 

I’m a member of the Temple Elks Lodge. I’m in my late 40’s and am also about 40 years younger than the average. It’s good for cheap drinks and we really do good work for Veterans, disabled kids and first responders.  

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Part of the old Elks Club of Austin divorced themselves from the organization a few years ago and is now the High Road on Dawson.   A friend of mine had a party there a while back.   Best pool view in town and a pretty cool place.  Lodge-pool-with-dt-view-1-1100x392.jpg

That hits very close to our first home. After our honeymoon in 1967 we moved in to the apartments just north of the Elks Lodge on Dawson.  I think they are called the Park Terrace now. Paid $125/month furnished, all bills paid for a 1 bedroom.

On weekends the hot blonde who lived directly above us would have her boyfriend over for overnight recreational activities. Could hear her bed oscillating through the thin flooring, then the patter of feet going over to the bathroom after things quieted down. Am glad we were on the first floor because we made our own noises all week long. Good times.

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Part of the old Elks Club of Austin divorced themselves from the organization a few years ago and is now the High Road on Dawson.   A friend of mine had a party there a while back.   Best pool view in town and a pretty cool place.  Lodge-pool-with-dt-view-1-1100x392.jpg

This place looks strong. What is it now? I couldn’t find anything about the Elks club.

6 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Had a couple friends that joined that place when it was still the Elks and went there a few times with them. I never joined because they had the belief in a deity requirement at the time - I didn't know that they'd left the organization because they both moved away.

Last weekend, I took a trip to my hometown to attend a meeting where my dad's Lodge was celebrating him being a Mason for 50 years. I'm 47 am pretty sure I was the youngest person out of a couple dozen in attendance. One guy might've been my age but I'm not sure he was a member.