Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think the 4 dt setup was, and continues to be, out of necessity. They aren’t landing true des. At this point 3 years later, maybe that’s on purpose because of their opponents. That has now changed. 

As a reminder they thought Bobby Brown was a DE

Beyond the obvious, another problem with all those fatties on the DL is that as more teams adopt tempo/spread they have to play more snaps and at a quicker tempo. 

Bobby Brown looked like he wanted to give up on life on about the 2nd possession of the LSU game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 4 DT thing was initially done out of necessity. But if it hasn't really gone away this season, then it 100% is some kind of cubist recruiting choice. I haven't looked at their roster, but if they don't have anyone who can rush the passer at this point, that's definitely on them from a recruiting perspective, and it might have been a conscious choice (I can't imagine why) or some kind of myopic oversight like only recruiting guards along the OL. 

Either way, as other posters have said and I agree with, I'm pretty sure the addition to more pass-happy coaches in their league is about to buttfuck them in an epic manner if they trot out a 4 DT rotation again. And it's hard to imagine them being better with the loss of madubuike to the NFL. If Lane Kiffin and Mike Leach can manage to make some noise in year one, wow, this shit could get comically hilarious real quickly. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The 4 DT thing was initially done out of necessity. But if it hasn't really gone away this season, then it 100% is some kind of cubist recruiting choice. I haven't looked at their roster, but if they don't have anyone who can rush the passer at this point, that's definitely on them from a recruiting perspective, and it might have been a conscious choice (I can't imagine why) or some kind of myopic oversight like only recruiting guards along the OL. 

Either way, as other posters have said and I agree with, I'm pretty sure the addition to more pass-happy coaches in their league is about to buttfuck them in an epic manner if they trot out a 4 DT rotation again. And it's hard to imagine them being better with the loss of madubuike to the NFL. If Lane Kiffin and Mike Leach can manage to make some noise in year one, wow, this shit could get comically hilarious real quickly. 

Move Blumrick to rush DE..boom, problem solved.

• Like 1

They did sign Donell Harris and that DE from New Jersey that look like actually DE's.  Problem is neither will help this year and both could be future transfer portal candidates, especially Harris.  If Robinson leaves, all of those North East kids could bolt back home.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That was their answer to Bama and LSU. Stop the run with a space (and everything else) eating DL. Elko's confidence in his ability to scheme pressure and the back-end is Orlandian. They just don't have the athletes in the secondary to make that work. 

I honestly have no idea what they're doing now, it doesn't appear that they do either. Their defensive offers are all over the place behind the cube front. And outside of the cubes, who are they trending for on defense? No one? Certainly not all-purpose DBs that can make cube line work. Their defensive offer list looks like a list of players they tried to purchase more than it looks like a group that would fit any sort of scheme, whatsoever. 

It's like Terry Price made an HEB run to get ingredients for some charro beans and his shopping list was duck, beets, granola, shrimp, rice paper, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds, cornmeal, crabs, and applesauce. Like.......??? Whatcha tryin' to make, Terry?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:
2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think the 4 dt setup was, and continues to be, out of necessity. They aren’t landing true des. At this point 3 years later, maybe that’s on purpose because of their opponents. That has now changed. 

0085918-amln-1280x720.jpg

• Like 1

Spoiler

Liucci

6:09p 

Staff

AG

Last week, Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies hit the east coast, picking up front seven commitments from Charlotte and Brooklyn. On Monday, A&M landed a coveted defensive tackle more than 2,500 miles away from last week's recruiting wins. Yes, the Ags have had some out of state victories of late but this one rates as one of the Ags' biggest yet. This one was a 6-4, 318-pound victory, as in Westlake Village (CA) defensive tackle Victory Vaka.

Anytime you're able to land a longtime priority target along the defensive front there's reason to celebrate but this one is an important get for the Ags for several reasons. First and foremost, Vaka helps fill a very specific need on the roster. The Aggies have assembled a lot of size along the defensive line but they don't really have anyone quite like Victory. The newest member of Elijah Robinson's interior brigade stands around 6-4 and told Brauninger during his commitment interview that he's currently 318 pounds, with plans on playing this fall at around 305. We're talking about a pure DT who will easily stand in the 6-4, 320-plus pound range once he gets into a college weight room and fills out. Bobby Brown certainly has that kind of size (I'm talking about the ht/wt combination here), but he'll be a junior this fall and certainly wasn't as big as Vaka at the same stage of his development. Brown also wasn't a pure interior defender, actually spending most of his time as a true freshman backing up Kingsley Keke at end.

Vaka, on the other hand, is as pure a defensive tackle as you're going to find. He's the type who can do it all. Victory is so big and strong that he's going to be able to occupy multiple blockers whenever necessary. He's powerful enough to fight through double-teams and still stuff the run game, as well. We're talking about a guy who is going to be a real problem for teams wanting to run against the Aggies, especially when set opposite guys like McKinnley Jackson, Isaiah Raikes and Derick Hunter. Because of his size and raw power (the big man was actually recruited by the hometown Trojan of Southern Cal as an offensive lineman, which proved to be a deal-breaker), Vaka will also be a versatile piece that Elko could line up as a true nose when opting to go with an odd front.  

While it's Victory's size and ability to engulf running backs at or behind the line of scrimmage that stands out, he moves very well for a guy who played north of 300 pounds as a junior so there is certainly some quickness and eye-catching athleticism to go along with that brute force. That's why you saw teams like Oregon, A&M, Florida, Tennessee and LSU move on him early. It's not a coincidence that Vaka got so much SEC attention, as this dude is tailor-made for the League of Champions...especially the SEC West. We've seen A&M opponents over the past few seasons regularly field one or two of these type of space-eaters/disruptors, particularly when the Ags line up against the likes of Bama, LSU and Georgia. Victory Vaka is the type of addition who could help take the Ags from being very tough to run against to being impossible to move, much like that UGA unit the Maroon & White ran into in Athens last November.  

Elko and Robinson have stacked the deck at what's almost become the glamour position in the conference and they've done it by adding pieces from Texas, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, Florida and now California. It's by far the most impressive example of recruiting from inside the state (Brown and DE/DT DeMarvin Leal) and fanning out around the country that I've seen at a specific position in 20-plus years of covering TAMU recruiting. And make no mistake, Vaka is a guy that the Aggie staff has coveted for quite some time. Those of you who have been following along are aware of that fact.

Victory's addition could also help the Ags kick open some doors on the left coast, as well. He's a pretty well-known prospect in the Los Angeles area and the type who seems excited to become a vocal recruiter for the Aggies in the area. Not a bad time to make a little noise out west, at least while UCLA is bad and Clay Helton is still very much on the hot seat at USC.

The four-star interior defender and national top-200 prospect chose the Ags over a host of power programs, including Oregon, Florida and Florida State. Vaka also held offers from the likes of LSU, Arizona State, Utah, Tennessee, among others. He becomes the Ags' seventh commit in the 2021 class. That number is likely to grow to eight in short order, as Katy TE Fernando Garza could be poised to jump on the offer extended by James Coley and the Ags over the weekend.

Don't get it twisted, you're going to see the Aggies go heavy in the trenches (on both sides of the ball) and in the secondary this year. Vaka joins Colorado offensive tackle Trey Zuhn and Brooklyn edge-rusher Jahzion Harris on A&M's early list of commits who will lineup on the LOS.

Edited by Lobwedgephil

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s May, he’s from Westlake Village, and he’s never even been to the shithole that is College Station. Let’s see if this one holds up. 

I actually hope he does stick.  I mean, I love some aggy tears on decommits, but the west coast mod who has seen this guy and gave the evaluation says he's put on some weight which has slowed him and needs to play with consistancy and not take plays off.  His composite ranking has steadily dropped since August.

• Like 1

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

I actually hope he does stick.  I mean, I love some aggy tears on decommits, but the west coast mod who has seen this guy and gave the evaluation says he's put on some weight which has slowed him and needs to play with consistancy and not take plays off.  His composite ranking has steadily dropped since August.

yeah but he belongs in the league of champions..especially the SEC West..  Is this kid a 6 star prospect??! Looch sure writes like he is

And LSU wouldn’t take his commit unless they’ve saw him in person? Likely to make sure he wasn’t on the Larry Dibbles plan. If he can take visits and gets his weight down other schools will actually try to recruit him. If he stays fat, well...

I’m not seeing a downside for us here. And that’s before the transfer potential gets added into the equation. Victory indeed. 

35 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So basically if USC wants him at DL, he's going there. Despite being lead by bad coaching in Orlando and Helton overall, this kid wasn't good enough at DL for them.

Or Oregon/Washington 

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The gigem' board has a topic about 2 silent commits.  Pretty sure one is the recent TE, any ideas on the other?

I haven’t tried to found out, but maybe the Louisiana safety who LSU doesn’t want?

11 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Hide contents

Liucci

We're talking about a guy who is going to be a real problem for teams wanting to run against the Aggies,

Good thing the two newest coaches in the League of Champions are...checks notes...Mike Leach and Lane Kiffin.

Edited by TheBryMan81
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Good thing the two newest coaches in the League of Champions are...checks notes...Mike Leach and Lane Kiffin.

And Kendall Briles is at Arkansas.

From a purely schematic standpoint, aggy will have trouble with the lower half of the league. I bet they lose 1-2 of ole miss, state, and arky, and considering their reaction to this class so far, I think they know that. 

12 hours ago, texifornia said:

its stunning how much Strong got blasted for recruiting out of state and not caring enough about TXHSFB

meanwhile, this fuck brings out 52% of his total recruits from Texas and not a peep.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Ryan Brauninger

11:14p, 5/4/20 

Staff

You night owls will get the first crack at these. 

- We've mentioned that even though recent commit Victory Vaka is out in California, he's still a kid that has a bit of "juice" on social media. Since he gave his pledge to the Aggies earlier today, some top prospects from around the country have taken notice, including Bryce Foster and Monkell Goodwine. Vaka was pretty adamant that he would get a West Coast movement going, but his reach may extend beyond California. 

- Looch and I both picked up some positive returns in terms of Texas A&M's ongoing efforts with CyFair RB LJ Johnson Jr. While there is still a lot of recruiting to be done, it sounds like a couple of the A&M commits have been in his ear about joining the class, most notably QB Eli Stowers. In my opinion, Johnson's running style is a nice fit for Coach Fisher's slashing/downhill running game. On top of that, he's immensely talented and would qualify as an enormous get should he wind up choosing the Aggies down the road. 

- A Houston area source told me the Aggies continue to be in a strong position for longtime OL target Reuben Fatheree. The 6-8, 305 pounder told me directly that he was unsure of an exact commitment date, but he would make his decision "when it felt right". A&M's efforts are being headed by Josh Henson and Jimbo Fisher. Baylor, Oklahoma, LSU, and Oklahoma State continue to be the main competitors. 

- I spoke to a Florida source today that was able to give me a little more local feedback on the pulse of some of A&M's targets from the Sunshine State. Here's what he said...

DT Desmond Watson - sounds like there's a large consensus that feels like he's going to be a Gator at this time. 
WR Romello Brinson - didn't have a great feel for that one but felt like he could stay close to home with Miami. 
RB Amari Daniels - he said he's heard it's Texas A&M or Penn State with the Aggies having the edge
Kamren Kinchens - Auburn making a huge push. Aggies still hanging around. 

He also mentioned that he did not believe LB Terrence Lewis was a take for Florida, Florida State, or Miami at the time he made his decision to commit to Tennessee.