2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

3 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I was strangely optimistic yesterday.  Today, we should be huge underdogs based on the starters and using our bullpen heavily yesterday.  I feel like we are due to win a slugfest.

Game is pick em. O/U is 8 1/2

Edited by TonyTexas

7 minutes ago, runthebone said:

I was strangely optimistic yesterday.  Today, we should be huge underdogs based on the starters and using our bullpen heavily yesterday.  I feel like we are due to win a slugfest.

The highest pitch count out of our bullpen yesterday was Will Harris with 25.  They should all be available again tonight.  And if we have to blow through the whole pen tonight, it's okay because we have one of the ultimate innings eaters starting tomorrow.

And again, Corbin's playoff ERA is 6.91.  Admittedly, it's a small sample and he's usually solid, but it's encouraging.  And their bullpen is hot garbage.

And they know Cole is looming tomorrow and will probably rebound and be nasty.  This has to feel like a must-win game for both teams.  Can't wait.

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'm remarkably calm at this stage. I absolutely wouldn't be if we'd lost in 2017

Same... Had Dave Roberts not gifted us those two Darvish starts and we not won the two scintillating games in 2 & 5 I would probably be calm like a bomb.

I would like to win the series this year to be put into the discussion of greatest 3 year runs in MLB post WWII alongside the 1950s Yankees, 1970s A's, and the 1998-2000 Yankees. Losing the World Series here puts us in the realm with Earl Weaver's Orioles which was a great run but a rung under historically great by not winning multiple titles.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

we would have to be 7-0 for me to even consider this a serious question. and still not that serious. 

That's pretty much where I am. 

If our football team were playing in the national championship game today, I'd definitely opt for that win. Duh. The Astros still would be alive, though down 1-3. But the roles are largely reversed, so it's the Astros without a moment of debate. The Longhorns aren't national title contenders regardless of the outcome in Fote Wuth. 

I’m calm, too.  Last night was a very settling performance.  

Today is a very winnable game based on matchups, and the Astros have been swinging the bats better.  A win today makes it a three game series with the Astros sending Cole, JV, and Greinke to the bump with two of the games at home.  That’s a great position to be in considering where the team was 24 hours ago.   

And as mentioned elsewhere... Nationals Park is not an intimidating venue at all with the baby shark schtick and “Take On Me.” After the three games in New York last week, it probably feels downright friendly to the Astros.  

4 hours ago, huge said:

It wasn’t a pin, it has been reported to be a wristband but whatever. Regardless it is a terrible comparison. Everyone should be against domestic violence in principal. It’s not some controversial divisive issue.

If someone is provoked to react negatively by seeing an anti domestic violence anything, I think that is a problem, whether the asshole wearing the wristband is from New York, Vidor or the moon.

Tbh I had no idea what a purple wristband signified until all this happened.  I didn’t even know they existed.

Guess I’m ‘woke’ now.  Cool.

12 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

That's pretty much where I am. 

If our football team were playing in the national championship game today, I'd definitely opt for that win. Duh. The Astros still would be alive, though down 1-3. But the roles are largely reversed, so it's the Astros without a moment of debate. The Longhorns aren't national title contenders regardless of the outcome in Fote Wuth. 

If it guaranteed a WS title, I would sacrifice the Horns going 0-fer the rest of the season and wouldn’t think twice about making that deal.

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

I’m calm, too.  Last night was a very settling performance.  

Today is a very winnable game based on matchups, and the Astros have been swinging the bats better.  A win today makes it a three game series with the Astros sending Cole, JV, and Greinke to the bump with two of the games at home.  That’s a great position to be in considering where the team was 24 hours ago.   

And as mentioned elsewhere... Nationals Park is not an intimidating venue at all with the baby shark schtick and “Take On Me.” After the three games in New York last week, it probably feels downright friendly to the Astros.  

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

The last two years have made me realize just how much luck goes in to winning a World Series.  It really is a crapshoot once the playoffs start.

Yeah. crappy teams beat great teams pretty much every day for 6 months. So in a short series...

I think the Astros are marginally better than Washington...but that still means winning a short series is essentially a coin flip. 

40 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

Bregman has been an absolute joke this post-season at the plate and with the glove. 

He did hit the shit out of the ball 3 times last night, just to the wrong spots. That liner to LF left his bat at 102 mph. 

Obviously they're still outs, but he hasn't been lost at the plate. Has had a few sub-par ABs and a little bad luck. 

Bregman's average exit velocity in the regular season was 89.3. In the postseason, it is 92.7. He's hitting the ball hard. His average launch angle is down from the regular season (19.5 to 11), and as a result, he's hit more grounders and fewer fly balls. His BABIP in the postseason is .235. Generally average is around .300. He'll be fine.  

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

He did hit the shit out of the ball 3 times last night, just to the wrong spots. That liner to LF left his bat at 102 mph. 

Obviously they're still outs, but he hasn't been lost at the plate. Has had a few sub-par ABs and a little bad luck. 

oppo slap hits >>> rockets to players standing still

his error in game 2 blew that game open 

he's been complete crap this series. they should intentional walk every time tonight to pitch to him. same for alvarez. they're not beating you with their bats