Polo to wear untucked

Polo as a brand may be a little cliche but they are well made, cut right, and last forever.  There's not a shirt with softer fabric in my closet than my two 20-year old Polos.  I don't wear them much anymore because it's just not the look I go for but they are good shirts.  Don't believe I've ever tucked one in though.  

The Ralph Lauren Polo has dropped in quality noticeably over the last 10yr. Not as durable, not as consistent on sizing or material. They've also been screwing with the fits, creating new fits, changing them, then canceling them. Makes it hard to give a specific recommendation, best you try in store.

I'd take a look at Uniqlo and Fred Perry for untucked, most of their shirts have a trimmer cut than the traditional Polo and do not have the longer rear tail for tucking. Uniqlo is by far the cheaper of the 2, and in their collaborations with Michael Bastian and Federer they've actually made some nice stuff.

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Jesus, OP overthinks shit. 

Dude, unless you've got Grind'r as an app on your phone, nobody gives a shit about your shirt being tucked, untucked, whatever. 

Y'know what?  You can always not post in threads which don't meet your expectations.  The guy asked a question in the "can you help me" forum.  

Personally I've liked the John Ashford shirts untucked.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Jesus, OP overthinks shit. 

Dude, unless you've got Grind'r as an app on your phone, nobody gives a shit about your shirt being tucked, untucked, whatever. 

Now this is how you Surly Shitpost folks. 

"I jumped into this thread just to say that this thread is a topic I don't care about" combined with "only flaming fags care if their clothes fit."

• Like 3

Under Armor Playoff works for me. I'm a skinny dude and I wear them untucked.

I try to find the solid colors that aren't neon bright. And they used to make a ventilated model that had perforated cloth - I still have a few and they are the shit when it's boiling hot outside.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, smuggs said:

I try to find the solid colors that aren't neon bright. And they used to make a ventilated model that had perforated cloth - I still have a few and they are the shit when it's boiling hot outside.

I have a UA polo/golf shirt and I love it. Can dress it up or down. Super comfy. 

Go to the nearest Polo Store at an outlet mall and try on the custom fit style.   I'm not overweight nor am I a stick and these fit my build perfectly.  In  other  words the I don't look six months pregnant with it untucked or if I have to tuck it in for presentation purposes,  it doesn't enhance my gut although I really don't have a big belly to begin with.   But some polo style shirts will make you look like Fat Alberts little cousin thanks to the way  the shirt is designed.  

Then there is Untuck it and they have locations in SA, Austin, Houston and the DFW area.  I need to check it out myself next time I'm in Austin or SA.

https://www.untuckit.com/collections/polos

Edited by Nueces River Rat

3 hours ago, smuggs said:

This is another choice and Under Armor  at the San Marcos outlets is great place to pick several up.    

Rule of thump depending on your frame and style, you might want to buy a size smaller.   Normally I wear a large in everything else shirt wise, but with the Under Armor shirts I get mediums.  They fit perfect.   

7 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Now this is how you Surly Shitpost folks. 

"I jumped into this thread just to say that this thread is a topic I don't care about" combined with "only flaming fags care if their clothes fit."

It's how we roll.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:01 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

This is another choice and Under Armor  at the San Marcos outlets is great place to pick several up.    

Rule of thump depending on your frame and style, you might want to buy a size smaller.   Normally I wear a large in everything else shirt wise, but with the Under Armor shirts I get mediums.  They fit perfect.   

Yeah, I've definitely found that there's no real consensus among brands what "large" means.

I'm 6'0, ~190, but I look like I'm wearing a giant's hand-me-downs if I wear a size Large from Brooks Brothers. Even moreso with Columbia, who appear to think that the average adult male is about 6'5, 260.

53 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Yeah, I've definitely found that there's no real consensus among brands what "large" means.

I'm 6'0, ~190, but I look like I'm wearing a giant's hand-me-downs if I wear a size Large from Brooks Brothers. Even moreso with Columbia, who appear to think that the average adult male is about 6'5, 260.

Ha!  We are about the same weight and height and this exactly what I'm talking about.   Columbia stuff like fishing shirts I get mediums.  

That's why my choice of an everyday polo has gone to Under Armor.  They are great for  travel  because they won't wrinkle and they are light weight.  

Funny story,  a few years back we went up to the Lost Pines resort in Bastrop for  a four day weekend and I forgot to pack my shirts.  The only store  that had men's clothing at the time other than Wal Mart was a very small Bealls store.  So I go in quickly and buy a few shirts to get me through the weekend  and every dang one of them made me look pregnant.  I've gotten so dang conscious about how shirts fit I just tell my wife not to buy any for me and leave the shirt shopping up to myself unless she finds one that I can return on the quick for the next size down if she insists on buying one for me.    Or if she knows what size a certain brand fit my build like Polo or Under Armor.  

59 minutes ago, South Austin said:

In fairness to Columbia, fishermen aren't the slimmest demographic. 

I have one of their burnt orange shirts with the Longhorn logo.  It's real comfortable in the summer heat, but I almost feel like David Byrne wearing the oversized suit coat.

LMAO!   Correct on the observation.  Fishing and beer... fishing and beer.... beer and fishing...

1 hour ago, dmtx said:

brah!

Polo has a golf line called RLX. check out custom-fit or slim-fit versions

Travis Mathew and Lululemon fit really well too.

I have some Lululemon shorts.   Advice here is to buy one size up (  36 if you wear a 34, etc.) if they have a button.    The elastic ban shorts without a button are ok to go with the size you normally wear.  

I like my Under Armor golf shorts better.   I am not one of these guys that like to wear shorts  to  blow  knee  or down to my ankles like some of the Cholos  around here wear theirs.  And both Lululemon and Under Armor have the right fit and you can load up on them at the Under Armor outlet in San Marcos.  And no I am not gay.

Edited by Nueces River Rat

On 4/5/2019 at 10:28 AM, smuggs said:

UA is the way to go in the summer. I have several of the ones that are vented and yeah those are awesome when it's really hot.

I recently got a couple of  Psycho Bunny polos. They're usually really expensive so I chose not to spend the money, but went to a store going out of business and they were like 80% off. Really comfortable and look good...got tons of compliments.  Seem to be well made so we'll see how they hold up.