2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

Everyone may bag on Jordan and Charlotte or even the Knicks, but passing on a guy is better than overpaying on a long term term deal.  Some of the deals signed in the last 2-3 year (including right now) will be millstones around the necks of some of these teams.  You have a lot of guards who will be in their mid 30's making $40M.  Hell, Damian Lillard will make $54M when he's 34 years old.

I remember hearing an interview (I forget where) that said Butler says he's about winning but he's really about the money.  Going to Miami for a max deal proves that, especially with FL's lack of income tax.  (Philly has a city income tax of 3.5% on top of PA's 3.5%.)

FUPM and that's nothing wrong with that.

Lakers will be fine.  If they get Kawhi, they're the new super team fans will bitch about.  If not, then there is always a 2nd wave of free agents plus they can insert themselves into trades for teams looking to find homes for some players to create space for their new signings.  If you think you have a good shot, you wait for a Kawhi level player.... unless you're James Dolan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

There are two scenarios here. This is basically zero sum for the Knicks.

Scenario 1: You were legitimately concerned about Durant's Achilles injury, and even though Durant expressed interest in playing for you, you told him that you would not extend a max offer so he went elsewhere. 

Scenario 2: The franchise down the street beat you out in free agency so you come out saying you were concerned about his Achilles and that's why you didn't sign Durant. 

I'm not sure which is more incompetent and embarrassing. The Knicks have nothing to lose and all of the cap space in the world, but they were afraid to take a flyer on Kevin Durant? Or, you were planning to sign Durant, but lost the race and now have resorted to saying that it wasn't due to anything but his Achilles injury?

What a garbage dumpster shit fire of an organization. I feel legitimately bad for RJ Barrett. Get out as soon as you can, young man. 

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The Klay thing is strange but I have to assume they'll get a deal done.

Another thing is Derrick Favors will be available via trade or he may be outright cut.  

Where is Boogie gonna land, almost 18 months after his injury.

If Kawhi leaves, does Ujiri just sell off pieces like Gasol, Ibaka, and Lowry to tank and get younger?