Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

15 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Crawfish are overrated.  Squeak isn’t worth the grease.

agreed but it's nothing compared to crabs. what a pain in the dick. why don't we just cut out the middle man? you give me two ounces of crab meat with lots of filament and shell in it, and I will go give myself 90 papercuts and pour salt into the wounds, and we can cut like three hours out of this deal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

My favorite Tex Mex joints in Austin are Matt's, Y Mas, Nuevo Mexico and Casa Garcia's.  Maudie's on Lake Austin is great but I haven't been there in 10 years. 

The best ever were AusTexMex on I-35 and the OG Jorge's on Hancock (the shitty building one not the remodeled Jorge's from West Texas that followed the OG).

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

So, what's the best Tex Mex in Dallas then?  I don't think Mi Cocina in Highland Park Village is the best Tex Mex food by any stretch, but top to bottom experience, it's tough to beat.  I've lived here for 20 years and I've still yet to find Tex Mex food anywhere else that's so superior that it makes going there worth it.  So, yeah...I think @billfromlaketravis is probably right.

Mia’s on Lemmon. It is known. 

Some of you didn’t spend time going to grad school at SMU and it shows.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

For starters there's a Matt's in Dallas. That's better than Mi Cocina in my book. 

56 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Ojeda’s, Mia’s, and Mariano’s.

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Mia’s on Lemmon. It is known. 

Some of you didn’t spend time going to grad school at SMU and it shows.

Matt's and Mia's have both slipped considerably over the past few years.  Their food is equal to or maybe slightly better than Mi Cocina, but the overall experience is nowhere near the Mi Cocina in Highland Park Village.  I think people like to dogpile on MiCo's because it has become a chain, and I agree that there are some that suck.  But the one in HPV is solid top to bottom.  Have not tried Ojeda’s or Mariano’s so I can't speak to them.

13 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Matt's and Mia's have both slipped considerably over the past few years.  Their food is equal to or maybe slightly better than Mi Cocina, but the overall experience is nowhere near the Mi Cocina in Highland Park Village.  I think people like to dogpile on MiCo's because it has become a chain, and I agree that there are some that suck.  But the one in HPV is solid top to bottom.  Have not tried Ojeda’s or Mariano’s so I can't speak to them.

MiCo's isn't even the best in it's coaching tree; Taco Diner is better pound for pound.

MiCo's is good for being divorced and wanting to go to HH I guess, if you have that going for you? It's a more everyman's Houston's/Hillstone's.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

21 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I think everyone is slipping.  Either that or maybe as I get older my palate is telling me Tex-Mex isn't the bad ass cuisine I've always thought it to be (I refuse to believe that).  I just can't remember the last time I left a place and said "man, that was fucking great."  I'm an Ojeda's lifer and the last time I went it was so meh I haven't thought to go back (been a while).

It's all just ok.

12 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

MiCo's isn't even the best in it's coaching tree; Taco Diner is better pound for pound.

MiCo's is good for being divorced and wanting to go to HH I guess, if you have that going for you? It's a more everyman's Houston's/Hillstone's.

Yeah I was going to mention Taco Diner. I remember liking the food there however honky of a place it may be.

14 minutes ago, threesheets said:

I think everyone is slipping.  Either that or maybe as I get older my palate is telling me Tex-Mex isn't the bad ass cuisine I've always thought it to be (I refuse to believe that).  I just can't remember the last time I left a place and said "man, that was fucking great."  I'm an Ojeda's lifer and the last time I went it was so meh I haven't thought to go back (been a while).

It's all just ok.

Yeah, I hate having to come to terms with that fact of life, but I agree it's definitely a thing.  Getting older sucks.

35 minutes ago, threesheets said:

It's all just ok.

Mesero definitely slipped in the past couple years. I used to love that place. The past 2 times I ate there it was super meh. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yep.  Hell I think maybe for just the pure quality of food, Banditos gets my vote these days.

Banditos is actually pretty great for what it is. Like a better version of Maudies. I was trying to think of places we ate in college and knew I was missing a couple. I also like Desperados just across 75.

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Banditos is actually pretty great for what it is. Like a better version of Maudies. I was trying to think of places we ate in college and knew I was missing a couple. I also like Desperados just across 75.

Desperado’s tacos for $9 on Thursdays is a pretty good deal.  Solidly in our COVID takeout rotation.

There's no such thing as "great" tex-mex. For the most part, it's all pretty good. It's hard to fuck up, and 90% of TM restaurants in Texas do it well enough to be compared to eachother. But there is no "great" .. there can't be.. it's all low quality ingredients done the same way, and quite frankly, if you got better quality ingredients it would probably taste worse. 

The whole Austin vs Houston vs SA shit is laughable. Every place mentioned tastes exactly the fucking same. The real difference is how good the drinks are. I used to think Y Mas was the greatest texmex place on the planet. In reality, those margs were just the bomb titty bomb and I left thinking I had just got laid. 

I will say that I've had some fucking godawful Tex-Mex outside of Texas. But that's a given. Honestly if I really had to rank the 500 places in Texas that i've been to, I'd probably put a place in Paris, Texas #1 and a place in SA dead last. 

Herrera's on Sylvan across the river from downtown Dallas still kicks ass.  That is my standard for good, basic Tex-Mex. Love their menudo on weekends.  Maybe a bowl of that along with a barbacoa or lengua taco?  Perfecto.

P.S. Just realized that the Sylvan location is the 4th iteration of this restaurant that I've enjoyed.  The first was at the gas station that is now the Grapevine Bar on Maple.  Then two more Maple locations, and now the Sylvan location across the river.  I'd be hard-pressed to think of many places that have survived that many relocations.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

There's no such thing as "great" tex-mex. For the most part, it's all pretty good. It's hard to fuck up, and 90% of TM restaurants in Texas do it well enough to be compared to eachother. But there is no "great" .. there can't be.. it's all low quality ingredients done the same way, and quite frankly, if you got better quality ingredients it would probably taste worse. 

The whole Austin vs Houston vs SA shit is laughable. Every place mentioned tastes exactly the fucking same. The real difference is how good the drinks are. I used to think Y Mas was the greatest texmex place on the planet. In reality, those margs were just the bomb titty bomb and I left thinking I had just got laid. 

I will say that I've had some fucking godawful Tex-Mex outside of Texas. But that's a given. Honestly if I really had to rank the 500 places in Texas that i've been to, I'd probably put a place in Paris, Texas #1 and a place in SA dead last. 

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Exactly.  Not all Tex Mex joints have great salsa, or great tortillas or use the best ingredients.  Just because Tex Mex isn't fine dining, doesn't mean it is all equal.  If you believe that, then all hamburger restaurants are basically the same, or Italian, or BBQ.  And I am sure we all agree that is bullshit.

I will say that Dart Bowl enchiladas were a gold standard. I remember the first time I took my folks, who lived a good part of their life in the valley. Mom said it reminded her of the White Kitchen in McAllen.

In Austin, solid choices at Nuevo Mexico, Angie’s, Joe’s Bakery, and yes, Juan in a Million (it ain’t just the breakfast taco - hell, their refrieds are the best I’ve ever had).

9 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

You need a better pallet.  And sex partner apparently.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I agree. But I think the whole crawfish boil is awesome. It's more the experience, like tailgating. 

Yeah Crawfish specifically I can take or leave. The potatoes and mushrooms are the tastiest for me, food wise. But it's the social aspect that makes a boil fun.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah Crawfish specifically I can take or leave. The potatoes and mushrooms are the tastiest for me, food wise. But it's the social aspect that makes a boil fun.

And cheap beer. I'm not much a of a beer drinker. And when I am I like craft beers. But nothing is better at a crawfish boil than a case of miller or coors light. It just fucking hits right

On 1/29/2021 at 4:22 PM, BHMCruiser said:

agreed but it's nothing compared to crabs. what a pain in the dick. why don't we just cut out the middle man? you give me two ounces of crab meat with lots of filament and shell in it, and I will go give myself 90 papercuts and pour salt into the wounds, and we can cut like three hours out of this deal.

Yeah, did the Maryland crab boil and it was bullshit. Going to town with a hammer and shit to get a bit of crunchy meat. Crab is awesome when it’s been shelled and picked and formed into crab cakes or stuffed into shrimp.

• Like 1

Yeah, did the Maryland crab boil and it was bullshit. Going to town with a hammer and shit to get a bit of crunchy meat. Crab is awesome when it’s been shelled and picked and formed into crab cakes or stuffed into shrimp.

Again, once you have the technique down, you can put down a healthy serving in a short time. Crab may be the boy’s favorite food. When we go crabbing over the summer, he can put away 10-12 on his own, in under an hour easily. He’s got it down. Same with crawfish. He can pound 7-8 lbs in no time.