Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

The salsa and margaritas there were outstanding. But for the last couple years I thought the food was not as good as the price point. 

All of the kick ass places in Austin were by Jorge Arredondo who created the austin style cheese enchiladas with chili gravy and easy melt cheese. He had Jorge’s, Y Mas, AusTexMex. Was married to Maudie IIRC. His nephew was behind Casa Garcia. Couldn’t keep a business running but that man could cook.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

Stone crab is best crab. I've got a load coming in from Joe's on the 12th. Valentine's Day tradition in the smuggs household.

half-order-of-select.jpg

Joe's is the best place I've ever used my expense account with clients. Just huge platters overflowing with stone crab claws. That place kicks ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/28/2021 at 5:33 PM, Landomatic said:

Crawfish are overrated.  Squeak isn’t worth the grease.

crawfish boil is a social event.   It's about the food for sure, but it's also about the fellowship, cutting up, the drankin, and the slow burn all afternoon/ evening.

Crawfish etouffee  and white rice is a fabulous meal.   If you're out on crawfish, I'll take your share.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

crawfish boil is a social event.   It's about the food for sure, but it's also about the fellowship, cutting up, the drankin, and the slow burn all afternoon/ evening.

Crawfish etouffee  and white rice is a fabulous meal.   If you're out on crawfish, I'll take your share.

Growing up, we used to do BIG boils -- got up to 400 lbs by the time I graduated high school and left home.  The routine was this: boil and eat all evening.  Then, at the end of the night, the die-hards sat around the table drinking beer, telling lies, and filling gallon ziplocs with crawfish meat. 

Those folks are the ones who got invited over the next weekend, when we made a giant batch of etouffee.  What a combo.  Good eats during the boil.  Friendship and bullshitting into the wee hours after the main boil.  Then you get back together for etouffee.  Winning.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, slorch said:

I can be just as social getting down on the shrimp, crab, sausage, potatoes, corn, etc.

Crawfish etouffee  and white rice is a fabulous meal.

Agree...but I'll let someone else peel them.

46 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Growing up, we used to do BIG boils -- got up to 400 lbs by the time I graduated high school and left home.  The routine was this: boil and eat all evening.  Then, at the end of the night, the die-hards sat around the table drinking beer, telling lies, and filling gallon ziplocs with crawfish meat. 

Those folks are the ones who got invited over the next weekend, when we made a giant batch of etouffee.  What a combo.  Good eats during the boil.  Friendship and bullshitting into the wee hours after the main boil.  Then you get back together for etouffee.  Winning.

Once the snow melts, a group of my buddies are planning on doing this some summer Saturday.  We looked up getting crawfish and it was surprisingly reasonable for being so far inland.  We'll probably be brewing beer at the same time.  All the turkey fryers we can get our hands on will be employed in the process.

We started doing this this summer smoking meat.  It's not a boil, but doing to the 4-5 family potluck, cooking outside, drinking beer, BSing, etc.  Just a blast.

On 1/30/2021 at 9:41 PM, CooterBrown said:

All of the kick ass places in Austin were by Jorge Arredondo who created the austin style cheese enchiladas with chili gravy and easy melt cheese. He had Jorge’s, Y Mas, AusTexMex. Was married to Maudie IIRC. His nephew was behind Casa Garcia. Couldn’t keep a business running but that man could cook.

... in which austin takes credit for tex mex enchiladas.

I like Little Caesers. Not ironically, not as a poverty meal. I like it. When I last lived in the US I went cold turkey because I would get a craving to buy a hot and ready and inhale it all by myself. I didn’t want to become a great big fat person and so I just had to turn it off completely but I still get cravings for it and I haven’t had one in probably seven years, at least. I also freaking love their crazy bread. A close second is old-style Pizza Hut breadsticks coated in whatever mix of seasonings and crystal meth was in that shaker. 

I know this is something to feel shame over, and I do.

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I like Little Caesers. Not ironically, not as a poverty meal. I like it. When I last lived in the US I went cold turkey because I would get a craving to buy a hot and ready and inhale it all by myself. I didn’t want to become a great big fat person and so I just had to turn it off completely but I still get cravings for it and I haven’t had one in probably seven years, at least. I also freaking love their crazy bread. A close second is old-style Pizza Hut breadsticks coated in whatever mix of seasonings and crystal meth was in that shaker. 

When I was in law school, there were a handful of years that Spring Break was coordinated with March Madness.  In both of those years, St. Pat's was on a Wednesday.  I was in Des Moines at the time, which is a big Irish town and St Pat's is a big deal there.  So on consecutive years, we went on a bender that started with St Pat's on Wednesday and rolled right on through the first two days of the tournament.  There was a Little Cesar's a few blocks from the place we'd watch the game, and we'd usually tailgate in the parking lot, got the first Hot & Ready's/crazy bread of the day, and spend the rest of the day wallowing in filth, drinking beer, gorging on Little Cesar's, and watching hoops.

God damn, it sounds heavenly right now.

• Like 1

I liked Little Caesars until I got a hot and ready with a roach cooked into the cheese. Just was never the same after that.
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

When I was in law school, there were a handful of years that Spring Break was coordinated with March Madness.  In both of those years, St. Pat's was on a Wednesday.  I was in Des Moines at the time, which is a big Irish town and St Pat's is a big deal there.  So on consecutive years, we went on a bender that started with St Pat's on Wednesday and rolled right on through the first two days of the tournament.  There was a Little Cesar's a few blocks from the place we'd watch the game, and we'd usually tailgate in the parking lot, got the first Hot & Ready's/crazy bread of the day, and spend the rest of the day wallowing in filth, drinking beer, gorging on Little Cesar's, and watching hoops.

God damn, it sounds heavenly right now.

Uh, I like your story and have done some similar shit while I was in law school/grad school but it is literally impossible for Saint Patrick's Day to fall on a Wednesday two years out of three.  I have partied in Des Moines, I have partied in Ames, I have partied in Sioux City, and I have partied in Council Bluffs.  But I ain't never partied in Iowa so hard on a Wednesday Saint Patty's Day, that I blacked out for 5-6 years and woke up to hit it hard again on another Wednesday Saint Patrick's Day.  But I like your style. 

Edited by Lobo

Uh, I like your story and have done some similar shit while I was in law school/grad school but it is literally impossible for Saint Patrick's Day to fall on a Wednesday two years out of three.  I have partied in Des Moines, I have parted in Ames, I have partied in Sioux City, and I have partied in Council Bluffs.  But I ain't never partied in Iowa so hard on a Wednesday Saint Patty's Day, that I blacked out for 5-6 years and woke up to hit it hard again on another Wednesday Saint Patrick's Day.  But I like your style. 

You’re right. It was on a Wednesday in ‘10, and a Thursday in ‘11.

And now that I think about it, I know I was in Denver for St Pat’s in ‘11. So 2010 was the year it happened.

That one year seemed like 2. Funny how time makes it seem like something that only happened a time or two was a regular thing. I suppose it was doing it on Thursday and then again on Friday that did it to me.

If offered ranch vs. blue cheese for your wings, who chooses the ranch? Blue cheese has the same cool/creamy thing going on to cut the spice and grease a bit, and it has an actual interesting taste. 

Related, I grabbed some good Roquefort to put in the blue cheese for this year's Super Bowl spread. Slammed and went hard.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

If offered ranch vs. blue cheese for your wings, who chooses the ranch? Blue cheese has the same cool/creamy thing going on to cut the spice and grease a bit, and it has an actual interesting taste. 

Related, I grabbed some good Roquefort to put in the blue cheese for this year's Super Bowl spread. Slammed and went hard.  

Most ranch is better than bad blue cheese.  Good blue cheese is better than any ranch, when it comes to wings with Buffalo sauce.

If it's not buffalo sauce, ranch is probably the go-to option.  But true Buffalo wings need to be paired with a quality blue cheese.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If they are quality wings why do you need to slather any of that crap on them

“Good” wings (outside of hipster spots and some Vietnamese and Thai joints) are deep fried chicken wings doused with hot sauce mixed with melted butter. They’re quality if they aren’t frozen and if the sauce is mixed in house and not poured out of a bottle. It’s not great bbq or a steak or even a good hamburger. You’ve committed to eating a garbage meal by the time you order or make them, it’s not like you’re savoring the terroir when you’re gnawing on a drumette. 

I made wings in the air fryer for the super bowl and for ease of preparation and very little mess they exceeded expectations. 25 min at 400 degrees then dumped in a bowl of Franks and melted butter. Very hard to beat for the small amount of effort involved.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 9:02 AM, HouTex said:

I made wings in the air fryer for the super bowl and for ease of preparation and very little mess they exceeded expectations. 25 min at 400 degrees then dumped in a bowl of Franks and melted butter. Very hard to beat for the small amount of effort involved.

I refuse to eat restaurant wings once I’ve started making my own in the air fryer. Now every once I a while I will use pluckers sauce because I’m lazy, but I like my wings better than hooters/bw3/pluckers you name it.

El tiempo (navigation for the number of tables, or Washington for eye candy) is 10x better than the closest competitor for fajitas.  Probably 50x better than anything I ever had in Austin. That melted butter goodness has me hard right now just thinking about it.

However - that old chorizo stuffed chicken they used to have at Trudy’s paired with a Mexican martini was a hell of a meal. Removing that from the menu should be punishable by death.

#TeamRanch

#Teamfuckcoffee

Crush strawberry is a top 3 soda. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/9/2021 at 9:02 AM, HouTex said:

Throw a few in the same mix with Tabasco and parm (minced garlic or lemon zest if your nasty + little sea salt and large fresh crack pepper added straight out of the heat) instead of Frank’s for a nice second flavor profile. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich