Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

55 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Salads and wraps. Cold dark meat doesn't work as well. 

Yeah, we'll cook up 4-5 breasts of white meat on Sundays to eat through the week in wraps or salads.  I'd be fine with dark meat, but those frozen breasts are always white and they work well for that.

11 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Wat. A quesadilla is a griddled tortilla stuffed with cheese. You can put other stuff in it, like fajitas, but the only essential is cheese and a tortilla.

You are obviously doing it wrong.

A cheese only quesadilla is fine too.

But everything I put in a fajita (leftovers) is what I put in my quesadilla.

I love griddled tortillas too.

15 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Wat. A quesadilla is a griddled tortilla stuffed with cheese. You can put other stuff in it, like fajitas, but the only essential is cheese and a tortilla.

Other than off the kids menu, I don't think I've ever seen cheese only quesadilla in the wild.  I also don't get out much, but pretty much any adult version is going to have some mixture of protein/veggies.

12 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

You are obviously doing it wrong.

A cheese only quesadilla is fine too.

But everything I put in a fajita (leftovers) is what I put in my quesadilla.

I love griddled tortillas too.

A fajita is just the meat. You don’t put anything in a fajita. You put the fajita in something— a taco, a quesadilla, etc. 

10 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Other than off the kids menu, I don't think I've ever seen cheese only quesadilla in the wild.  I also don't get out much, but pretty much any adult version is going to have some mixture of protein/veggies.

Sure, but a quesadilla is not “a fajita with a toasted tortilla.”  That makes no sense.  You don’t say a BLT or a bacon and egg biscuit are “bacon.”  And you can have a quesadilla with all sorts of stuff in it but not fajitas. 

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

A fajita is just the meat. You don’t put anything in a fajita. You put the fajita in something— a taco, a quesadilla, etc. 

Tecnically yes but why do they always serve them with tortillas, cheese, guacamole, pico, sour cream etc.......and call them fajitas ?

10 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Tecnically yes but why do they always serve them with tortillas, cheese, guacamole, pico, sour cream etc.......and call them fajitas ?

Most places serve barbecue with pickles, onions, bread, jalapeños, and coleslaw. But you can eat barbecue all day without touching any of that stuff. Same with fajitas. 

Also, since we are on unpopular opinions, sour cream with fajitas is an abortion.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2021 at 8:46 PM, Enchubben said:

A great bagel is pretty fucking awesome. Shitty and even normal bagels can be terrible.

Einstein’s bagels are exceptional. 

I downloaded their app to order some coffee while I sat in my car. They gave me so much free stuff, that I eventually broke down and ate some free everything bagels with a chive cream cheese shmear. Not bad. Not bad at all. 

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, we'll cook up 4-5 breasts of white meat on Sundays to eat through the week in wraps or salads.  I'd be fine with dark meat, but those frozen breasts are always white and they work well for that.

All chicken breasts are white, not just the frozen ones. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, dcbc said:

Because they taste good.

For a more practical reason, sometimes, for work related stuff, I get dragged to subpar Tex-Mex restaurants because the idiots that plan these gatherings think it's fantastic.  The quesadilla is always a safe bet when it comes to something one of these subpar places can't screw up.  I have been at the table with people who realize the subparness of it all, but who have strayed from my formula and ended up ordering things that look positively gross when they hit the table.  Meanwhile, I'm happily munching away on a quesadilla and not wasting much money to do it.

I use this strategy regularly. Especially if I'm drinking and don't want something huge to eat

Wow. I’d forgotten how many slobs and food clowns there were on this site, but this thread delivers. 

a) a chicken thigh is fine in a sandwich. The Queen Beak at Bird Bird Biscuit on Manor in East Austin is perhaps the single greatest breakfast sandwich in the history of earth and a thigh is used in it. 

b) chicken thighs over breasts for things like fajitas is idiocy. This is taking foodie-tardery to a new level. Just stop. Perfect for this thread, I guess. 

c) sour cream on fajitas is excellent and delicious. Pico de gallo is also excellent. You can’t ask most tex-mex joints for special fucking chilis to go with your fajitas. Christ. 

d) buying and regularly eating frozen chicken breasts, if you aren’t a starving college student, is something that should be kept to yourself. Everytime I see this @Al_4_ISU guy on the football board going forward, I’m immediately going to think “that’s that poor midwestern bastard with the taste preferences of a neanderthal or Irish person.”

So, in short, this thread is fucking killing it, I guess. 

Wow. I’d forgotten how many slobs and food clowns there were on this site, but this thread delivers. 
a) a chicken thigh is fine in a sandwich. The Queen Beak at Bird Bird Biscuit on Manor in East Austin is perhaps the single greatest breakfast sandwich in the history of earth and a thigh is used in it. 
b) chicken thighs over breasts for things like fajitas is idiocy. This is taking foodie-tardery to a new level. Just stop. Perfect for this thread, I guess. 
c) sour cream on fajitas is excellent and delicious. Pico de gallo is also excellent. You can’t ask most tex-mex joints for special fucking chilis to go with your fajitas. Christ. 
d) buying and regularly eating frozen chicken breasts, if you aren’t a starving college student, is something that should be kept to yourself. Everytime I see this [mention=1238]Al_4_ISU[/mention] guy on the football board going forward, I’m immediately going to think “that’s that poor midwestern bastard with the taste preferences of a neanderthal or Irish person.”
So, in short, this thread is fucking killing it, I guess. 

Frozen chicken breast is an easy cheap way to get protein. I work 110 hour weeks for 2 months at a time and need convenient means to this end.

Sorry I’m not pausing harvest to meet Surly Elite culinary status

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Frozen chicken breast is an easy cheap way to get protein. I work 110 hour weeks for 2 months at a time and need convenient means to this end.

Sorry I’m not pausing harvest to meet Surly Elite culinary status

You demean us both by trying to legitimately defend yourself. It’s not healthy to reward me that quickly, for you or me. 

• Haha 1

A bag of frozen chicken breasts definitely is something you keep around for dump-type meal prep.  Plenty of solid meals you can make with them.  Love thighs, too, but I just go fresh prep with that.  We buy fresh chicken breasts and thighs for the grill or planned in advance type meals.  But with two working parents and two kids in the house, sometimes, you have to do things on the fly.

Edited by dcbc

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

wrong.gif

Echoing what pretty much everyone else has said, thighs >> breasts in everything.

• Like 3

Chiles toreados are just regular jalapeños or serranos, blistered in a hot pan, griddle, or grill and seasoned.  If you can’t get Kayleigh at the Chili’s to bring them to you, my advice is to try some Tex-Mex outside of Sheboygan.

WTF is happening here, is this a state of Texas message board or what.

c) sour cream on fajitas is excellent and delicious. Pico de gallo is also excellent. You can’t ask most tex-mex joints for special fucking chilis to go with your fajitas. Christ. 
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Chiles toreados are just regular jalapeños or serranos, blistered in a hot pan, griddle, or grill and seasoned.  If you can’t get Kayleigh at the Chili’s to bring them to you, my advice is to try some Tex-Mex outside of Sheboygan.

WTF is happening here, is this a state of Texas message board or what.

“Oh excuse me, garçon, if you can also ensure that we have some ‘chiles toreados’ on the sizzle plate when we’re served, I’ll have you know that there’s an extra dollar in it for you at the end.”

If you have ever directly asked for ‘chiles toreados’ in front of other people at a fucking meal, one of three things, or all three things, have happened:

1) the server punched you immediately in the face and management threw you out the back door for utter douchebaggery. 

2) everyone you were with looked around uncomfortably and hoped no other tables heard you. 

3) everyone else at the table rolled their eyes and made hilarious fun of you later when you weren’t around. 

Jesus. You take being an aggie to extreme levels. 

Also, the Queen Beak is absolutely made with a chicken thigh, haters. Do yourself a favor and get one. Next time I’m in Austin, I know I will. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

“Oh excuse me, garçon, if you can also ensure that we have some ‘chiles toreados’ on the sizzle plate when we’re served, I’ll have you know that there’s an extra dollar in it for you at the end.”

If you have ever directly asked for ‘chiles toreados’ in front of other people at a fucking meal, one of three things, or all three things, have happened:

1) the server punched you immediately in the face and management threw you out the back door for utter douchebaggery. 

2) everyone you were with looked around uncomfortably and hoped no other tables heard you. 

3) everyone else at the table rolled their eyes and made hilarious fun of you later when you weren’t around. 

Also, the Queen Beak is absolutely made with a chicken thigh, haters. Do yourself a favor and get one. Next time I’m in Austin, I know I will. 

https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/how-to-make-chiles-toreados/

Chiles Toreados are sometimes served with salsa bowls at taquerias and steak restaurants in Mexico. Nowadays, cooks will serve Chiles Toreados with a few drops of soy sauce, a tradition that started at Chinese restaurants in Mexico, and later on, it became popular to add other sauces as well, like Worcestershire sauce or Maggi Seasoning sauce.

Chiles Toreados are typically served with spring onions, which are prepared the same way as the peppers. Every cook has his/her own particular way to season and serves them. I always ask for them when I go out for dinner at Tex-Mex restaurants and we order fajitas or grilled chicken. Even if they are not on the menu, you can ask your server about them. I’m sure the cook will be glad to prepare them for you.

55 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Lulz; they are on the damn menu as a side at almost every place I have ever eaten fajitas. You do have to check and see if there are brown people anywhere visible in the restaurant as customers or if you are in an On the Border. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide

8 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Lulz; they are on the damn menu as a side at almost every place I have ever eaten fajitas. You do have to check and see if there are brown people anywhere visible in the restaurant as customers or if you are in an On the Border. 

Start posting photos or links of the menus. You’re not the only person eating tex-mex on a regular fucking basis. Keep digging in though. Entrench yourself on the “everyone is offering and everyone is ordering ‘chiles toreados’ but you” premise. 

“They’re on almost every menu as a side unless you’re too white to understand such matters”. Right. Well done on mixing in race and angling for some white privilege maneuver next. Strong work. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

No shit why wouldn’t you just ask for a grilled whole jalapeno/Serrano? It doesn’t make you fancier using some dumb shit nomenclature. Living in San Antonio I can’t recall ever seeing whatever this guy is talking about on a menu down here. 

Will go to Tex mex place for lunch and report back

also why the fuck are we referring to quesadillas as “griddled quesadillas?”

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Start posting photos or links of the menus. You’re not the only person eating tex-mex on a regular fucking basis. Keep digging in though. Entrench yourself on the “everyone is offering and everyone is ordering ‘chiles toreados’ but you” premise. 

“They’re on almost every menu as a side unless you’re too white to understand such matters”. Right. Well done on mixing in race and angling for some white privilege maneuver next. Strong work. 

https://postmates.com/merchant/pepes-mexican-restaurant-harlingen

https://www.seamless.com/menu/carmelitas-restaurant-pharr-1233-south-cage-boulevard-pharr/2021878

http://kikiseloriginal.com/menu/house-special/

MIX 
$ 17.00  +TAX

Fajita, Chicken Fajita, Sausage, Quesadilla, Chile Toreado, Morrón, Cebolla, Arroz, Guacamole, Frijoles Charros y Tortillas hechas a mano.

19 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Three places is definitely "almost every place". I think you need to keep doing gratuitous amounts of research to prove yourself right and me wrong. Maybe burn the whole weekend doing it. At least you'll spare a server somewhere the indignity of having to take your request for "chiles toreados" seriously in the process. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Three places is definitely "almost every place". I think you need to keep doing gratuitous amounts of research to prove yourself right and me wrong. Maybe burn the whole weekend doing it. At least you'll spare a server somewhere the indignity of having to take your request for "chiles toreados" seriously in the process. 

I’m defeated. You’re right, they probably aren’t offered at the places you go for margs with the girls from the office.

Just now, 956 Worldwide said:

I’m defeated. You’re right, they probably aren’t offered at the places you go for margs with the girls from the office.

Places I go for tex-mex semi-regularly in Houston:

-Little Papasito's -Chuy's -Teotihuacan -Spanish Flowers -El Tiempo -Casa Ole -Hugo's (not exactly tex-mex) -Lupe Tortilla's -Irma's -Ninfa's on Navigation -Los Tios -Molina's

Galveston (slim pickings):

-Salsa's -The Original Mexican Cafe 

Austin:

-Suerte -Matt's and others already mentioned in Houston

I'm not saying none of those places have the bullshit you referenced listed on their menus, but I am saying most of them certainly do not. If all of those places are trash to your educated palate, congrats, but they're all places many humans eating tex-mex or Mexican traverse on the daily. 

As to "drinking margs with the girls", I work with 80% females, ages between 22-40 in both Houston and Austin, mostly hot and across the diversity spectrum. If I go out drinking with them, you'd for sure want to come along. Well, maybe not you, but a lot of the thirsty heteros on this board would. None of them will be caught asking a server for "chiles toreados", however.

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Places I go for tex-mex semi-regularly in Houston:

-Little Papasito's -Chuy's -Teotihuacan -Spanish Flowers -El Tiempo -Casa Ole -Hugo's (not exactly tex-mex) -Lupe Tortilla's -Irma's -Ninfa's on Navigation -Los Tios -Molina's

Galveston (slim pickings):

-Salsa's -The Original Mexican Cafe 

Austin:

-Suerte -Matt's and others already mentioned in Houston

I'm not saying none of those places have the bullshit you referenced listed on their menus, but I am saying most of them certainly do not. If all of those places are trash to your educated palate, congrats, but they're all places many humans eating tex-mex or Mexican traverse on the daily. 

As to "drinking margs with the girls", I work with 80% females, ages between 22-40 in both Houston and Austin, mostly hot and across the diversity spectrum. If I go out drinking with them, you'd for sure want to come along. Well, maybe not you, but a lot of the thirsty heteros on this board would. None of them will be caught asking a server for "chiles toreados", however.

Congrats on crushing it at the Casa Ole, I’ll consult you for sure the next time I need to order from a waiter. 

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Congrats on crushing it at the Casa Ole, I’ll consult you for sure the next time I need to order from a waiter. 

It's already been established on this thread of food unpopularity that Casa Ole is fucking delicious. I'm guessing you've never been, but have an opinion anyway. 

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's already been established on this thread of food unpopularity that Casa Ole is fucking delicious. I'm guessing you've never been, but have an opinion anyway. 

Should I get the Southwest Eggrolls or the Fiesta Cobb salad if I want to experience the best Tex-Mex flavor? Jacked Peach Rita or Island punch? 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Haha 1