Israel

SmokeyBear1861

Company man?  I already listed out the players in this bullshit.  Part of me dealing with my own recovery is try and give somebody, somewhere the benefit of the doubt.  Obviously other shit can come to light, and likely will.  But for now, all evidence points to this being planned in advance, for theatrics, and well above Jay's paygrade.  I have that on the authority off a Regent and the head of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.  Obviously shit can change on a dime.  If Jay was complicit in this, then fuck him.  But I think he's done, for different purposes altogether.  Because they need somebody to pin this affront on, and he's the glaring example.  

Fling all the shit at me or Jay or whomever you want.  Bottom line is this is gonna get a metric fuckton worse for our school in the coming weeks for all involved.  This is not gonna play out well.  At all.  nor should it.

1 minute ago, locodos said:

Yes assholes can hold up signs that say rape within marriage is not possible or are full of homophobic slurs and the students can’t do shit about it. Campus cops are posted there to protect these POS assholes. And then tuition paying students are treated like this. 

btw I love how Hartzell tries to imply there were outside agitators as part of the protest. Fucking coward 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Fucking cowards 

It’s cowards manipulating cowards, all the way down. The fascists and their pathetic, simp jackboots are cowards: they can show up in force and “crack skills” when it’s some protesters, including that unarmed skinny girl they bravely arrested…but ask them to go through ONE kid with an AR to save a room full of kids, and there’s no receptacle on earth large enough to hold all the piss they soil themselves with.
And the people who could speak truth, and use their position to call them out? Cowards. More interested in saving their own skin than in standing up for the people they are supposed to serve.
Indeed, if we had this bunch around in 1836, the only risk Santa Anna would run is having his dick chafe from all the people eager to kneel and blow him.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

What starts here hopefully does actually change the world. 

You, of all people, know that it won’t. Not even a little bit. All that was proven today is that there are no good guys. Just bad guys, and those cowards who can’t help but enable them.
I said it several years ago, and as I recall, you agreed with me: there is nobody coming to save us. There’s nothing between us and the shitstorm. Not a single thing.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I said it several years ago, and as I recall, you agreed with me: there is nobody coming to save us. There’s nothing between us and the shitstorm. Not a single thing.

But in the overall balance, yes. I find no reason to disagree with this. Blips in history in the grand scheme of things. 

Fair point.  It does seem at this initial phase that Hartzell was only made aware after the wheels were in motion (pun intended).  He did have time to course-correct, but didn't.  And even if he had the forces in progress were over his head.  I'm more disappointed in him than most of y'all because I've seen his better character.  This was an absolutely fuckup from the Governor to the Capitol to DPS to the System to the Tower, and all points in between.  I will stop making excuses and let the situation play itself out.  But the bad news is, this was very much telegraphed and our shame has only yet to begin.  And that came at a time when the people that did this clamor for "free speech/1A!" will only make it more shameful and painful for current students and alums alike.  The Regents and THECB and UT System knew this was coming, but they had no idea the scope of embarrassment that would accompany it.  We're stuck in some serious shit for awhile.  Buckle up...

• Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

I have watched your metamorphosis over the course of this thread on this particular topic, so not all hope is lost. 

Funny thing is, my overall position hasn’t changed that much.
I still think that pro Palestinian protesters who chant “from the river to the sea” are often calling for extermination of Israel and Jews (often, they aren’t shy about calling for exactly that).
And I still think that Israel has a right to defend itself…but not to commit genocide or purposefully target civilians to further their goal of ethnically cleansing Gaza of Palestinians.
And I certainly think that both “sides” have allowed their path to be dominated by their worst elements, and are doing so today. Israeli shit with settlements, Palestinian shit with terrorist attacks, and we only get more of both.
And finally, I believe that anyone, supporting or opposing either side, or any cause whatsoever (Blueberry pop tarts must be available in the Union!) must be allowed to peaceably assemble to seek redress of their grievances. Period, full stop, content matters ZERO. No violence or terrorizing of others? Keep on keeping on.

As a society and a species, we are getting none of this right.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Fair point.  It does seem at this initial phase that Hartzell was only made aware after the wheels were in motion (pun intended).  He did have time to course-correct, but didn't.  And even if he had the forces in progress were over his head.  I'm more disappointed in him than most of y'all because I've seen his better character.  This was an absolutely fuckup from the Governor to the Capitol to DPS to the System to the Tower, and all points in between.  I will stop making excuses and let the situation play itself out.  But the bad news is, this was very much telegraphed and our shame has only yet to begin.  And that came at a time when the people that did this clamor for "free speech/1A!" will only make it more shameful and painful for current students and alums alike.  The Regents and THECB and UT System knew this was coming, but they had no idea the scope of embarrassment that would accompany it.  We're stuck in some serious shit for awhile.  Buckle up...

And they will continue to try to gaslight us about the nature of the protest.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Funny thing is, my overall position hasn’t changed that much.

OK, cool, hookem. You accused me of wanting terrorists to win, and seeking the extermination and slaughter of jews, as I recall it for suggesting that maybe we not fund and arm an apartheid state. But maybe I misremember. Bullshit the posters that don't pay attention, but don't bullshit me, and certainly don't bullshit yourself brisket.

Again, I am glad that you are coming to your senses. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Sorry if I lumped your defeated angry ass into it. 

Se·mit·ic

adjective
  1. 1. 
    relating to or denoting a family of languages that includes Hebrew, Arabic, and Aramaic and certain ancient languages such as Phoenician and Akkadian, constituting the main subgroup of the Afro-Asiatic family.

2. 2. 
    relating to the peoples who speak Semitic languages, especially Hebrew and Arabic.

Eh, I think it's a fair thing for him to point out. It is a somewhat important distinction.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So are we having a campus-wide strike tomorrow?

There was already a planned protest over the firing of the DEI staff - they had been told that Texas would find a place for them, and then welched. About sixty people left in the lurch. The tower was already shut down tomorrow for that, so all systems are go for a general strike tomorrow

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas sucks now. And UT has leaders with no backbone that let the piece of shit carpetbagging politicians dictate our school’s direction. Can’t wait to move out of this fucking state. 

Will try to go to bed before my next ERCOT power warning email hits my inbox. 

• Rage+1 2

They also get out of control by letting fucking idiot kids do whatever they think they want to do.  Look at the fucking idiocy going on in the Northeast.  

I'm not saying they're taking the right approach.  But I'm also not saying that having an increased presence up front is wrong either.  You have to walk a fine line.  Just don't fucking violate rights while doing it.  The protesters in at Columbia and Yale have violated other people's rights, and broken the fucking law by threatening and assaulting people.  What happens when they kill a few Jewish students?  You going to sue the police for not being there?  Because that's probably what would happen.  It's fucking idiocy

FUCK OFF!!!   

“Idiot kids” are what made this country

Ages on July 4, 1776 James Monroe, 18 Aaron Burr, 20 Alexander Hamilton, 21 James Madison, 25.

They also won every war that needed to be won for us…
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

@YGIFS DPS trying to both sides it

In a statement to KXAN, DPS said it responded to the UT campus “at the request of the University and at the direction of Texas Governor Greg Abbott, in order to prevent any unlawful assembly and to support UT Police in maintaining the peace by arresting anyone engaging in any sort of criminal activity, including criminal trespass.”

Badge-wearing, press member on public land covering a story on the clock for a major news outlet charged with ‘criminal trespass’?  Yeah; that doesn’t set a dangerous precedent or anything.  

• Like 1

Don't worry, guys. I already sent my angry email to the president. He is NOT going to like waking up to that!

giphy (11).gif

In all honesty, I imagine he is having a really bad time now, which gives me at least some solace. Or maybe he is as shameless as the entire GOP, idk.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Anastasis said:

OK, cool, hookem. You accused me of wanting terrorists to win, and seeking the extermination and slaughter of jews, as I recall it for suggesting that maybe we not fund and arm an apartheid state. But maybe I misremember. Bullshit the posters that don't pay attention, but don't bullshit me, and certainly don't bullshit yourself brisket.

Again, I am glad that you are coming to your senses. 

It seems like you're conflating your posts and the replies in the thread titled "Ukraine" with posts about Israel. 

7 hours ago, bolverk said:

And they will continue to try to gaslight us about the nature of the protest.

Their religious what now?

I looked up ethnicity and, sure enough, although that is a strange and alarming turn of phrase, by definition it's correct.

noun

1. the quality or fact of belonging to a population group or subgroup made up of people who share a common cultural background or descent.

Of course, the most troubling aspect of this is that now, I am perhaps ethnically Surly.  I don't know how I feel about that.

• Hook 'Em 1

i don't understand how anti-Israel protests make Jewish students feel unsafe.  Of course if Jewish students are being physically assaulted or intimated, that's obvious, or "kill all Jews".  Otherwise, even the most hateful speech toward Israel is strictly political. 

my silly analogy -- suppose anti-China protests get hateful "bomb Beijeng!" "Death to China!" , "Tibet destroy China!" .  Should Chinese Austinites feel intimidated??

• Fuck You 1

Many of the students protesting on campuses all around the country are themselves Jewish. The protesters at Columbia literally held a Seder and clearly explained how their Judaism compelled them to protest Israel’s actions. It’s fucking absurd for public officials and so many in the media to pretend these protests are rife with antisemitism.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

Seriously, these claims of antisemitism and that American Jews are threatened is just complete 100% bullshit. Even the more extreme signs like “End Israel” at, least from the vast majority of Americans, is talking about the country that has gone rogue, not the people. I just can’t anymore with this country. There’s no shared reality among us, only lies and intellectual dishonesty. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

That too, these are the same people who think the tiki torch losers chanting “The Jews Will Not Replace Us” are patriots, but “maybe don’t exterminate Palestine” is anti-Semitic and American Jews should be sooo scared of these young libruls on college campuses.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

i don't understand how anti-Israel protests make Jewish students feel unsafe.  Of course if Jewish students are being physically assaulted or intimated, that's obvious, or "kill all Jews".  Otherwise, even the most hateful speech toward Israel is strictly political. 

my silly analogy -- suppose anti-China protests get hateful "bomb Beijeng!" "Death to China!" , "Tibet destroy China!" .  Should Chinese Austinites feel intimidated??

This has nothing to do with the feelings of Jewish students.

• Hook 'Em 1

A professor/director I know at the Schusterman Center at UT indicated that they knew the event would be happening and had no issue with it, provided (of course) that it did not get violent (which it not appear to on the side of the protestors).  But he fully expects to get a call from the Tower or System ordering them to condemn the protests and side with the Governor.  He won't go along with it since he doesn't really care for how Gov. Abbott looked the other way on Nick Fuentes' involvement with Texas politics.  Obviously tempers are running hot right now, but I won't be surprised if there's some resignations/sabbaticals over this after semester ends in a couple of weeks.   

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

That too, these are the same people who think the tiki torch losers chanting “The Jews Will Not Replace Us” are patriots, but “maybe don’t exterminate Palestine” is anti-Semitic and American Jews should be sooo scared of these young libruls on college campuses.

The blatant hypocrisy is a calling card of the current brand of conservative politics.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

It seems like you're conflating your posts and the replies in the thread titled "Ukraine" with posts about Israel. 

I am not conflating anything. I am able to track separate threads and keep the exchanges straight. I know that keeping the beat is something you continually struggle with though, so your post is unsurprising. 

5 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

This has nothing to do with the feelings of Jewish students.

no, it has everything to do with that.  Why do the feelings of Jewish students matter when someone shouts "Death to Israel!". ? Why would the feelings of Chinese-American students matter if someone shouts "Death to China!".  

Two things are happening:

1. the most common fallacy that hating Israel (anti-Zionism) is the same thing as hating Jews (anti-Semitism)

2. Jewish Americans are actually Israeli first and not Americans first. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1