Potato Salad

RollLeft

16 minutes ago, next2naus said:

I've been making it with plain yogurt versus mayo, lots of Dill, Scallions, Shallots, lemon juice, S&P. Sometimes for the right people it gets some Cilantro.

I grew up eating German style in Wisconsin and it's the tits. 

The yogurt gives it a slightly more sour flavor I'm guessing ?  Which I like in potato salad.  Celery seed for the win over cilantro IMO.

1 lb bacon, 5 lbs potatoes chopped with skin on, 1onion, some green onions, and some garlic, sauteed in the bacon grease.

Salt and pepper to taste.

At the end, add 1/4 cup of sugar and between 1/2 cup and a cup of white vinegar. 

Stir and serve warm with parsley mixed in.

fzjc-Ruh-VStt-Bhmdl-CEFWm-LLVpl-JZKXZ4-F

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

1 lb bacon, 5 lbs potatoes chopped with skin on, 1onion, some green onions, and some garlic, sauteed in the bacon grease.

At the end, add 1/4 cup of sugar and between 1/2 cup and a cup of white vinegar. 

That's not queso

4 hours ago, dcbc said:

2n8vew7.jpg.5e2a0f960308667581f7c3f6d8eb

• Like 1

1 hour ago, next2naus said:

I'm sure it's great, your kitchen skills are well known. I just find too many people adding bacon to too many things for my taste.

I agree with that. The phrase "bacon makes everything better" isn't really intended as a directive to add bacon to everything. In my kitchen, bacon is added to the collard greens and wrapped on top of the meatloaf. That's it. I don't regularly serve the bacon-bleu cheese potato salad because too many people find bleu cheese offensive. But the bacon content in it is slight, and the bacon is cooked to crunchy and then finely crumbled.

The southern style pot salad that is always on the menu is very simple and very tasty. Red potatoes, heavy mayo, light on the mustard (for color and acidity), salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and a metric fuckton of diced dill pickle. A 20 lb batch of potatoes gets 2 lbs of diced pickle.

Pro tip: boil your potatoes whole then mash them with your hands once they have cooled down (you'll add all your ingredients before mashing).

When I make potato salad, it usually, but not always, has mustard. Pickles, (and pickle juice), onions, (sometimes green onion including the tops), celery, mayo and mustard. Sometimes jalapeno or poblano. I use different mustards also as I like mustards and am always buying some Earo stuff from Phoenicia here in  Houston.

Whose "store bought" do you like? (Other than Champ's of course)/

I used to like Roegel's PS before they changed from Baker's Ribs.It was no mustard and had dill herb. They had to change it when they dropped the Baker's Ribs franchise and it's not nearly as good now. I make it that way sometimes too and I still like it.

Kenny and Ziggy's has a great mayo potato salad that's slightly sweet. A waitress once told me it's the "heavy mayo" that Champ alluded to above. I love it.