Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

Like a dumbass, I forgot to get photos of the finished food since the guests came and I just got tied up. But last weekend I made maybe my favorite grilled food that isn’t steak.....Georgian style shashlyk, sort of like a kabob.

Shashlyk is street food across the entire former Soviet Union and just about any meat is used, and it can have a simple prep or complex marinade like the Georgians do. Muslim regions tend to use lamb, Russians and Ukrainians like beef, pork, and chicken. By the ocean, fish shashlyk is popular. This version is pork shoulder.

I serve this with a pretty simple salad of cucumbers/tomatoes/peppers/goat cheese and dressing because it’s a heavy meal. And some home quick pickled onions.

Cube the pork into one inch pieces. Marinade is some red wine vinegar, red wine, sunflower or vegetable oil, tomato paste, fresh thyme, fresh parsley, paprika, garlic, red pepper, and an onion. Grate— don’t dice or slice the onion. Salt and pepper.

4a0ce330a2674be3601b479b282db845.jpg

The marinade should be really gloppy and coat the meat. Let that sit in the fridge overnight at least.

017a4501dfa5aa200deb4d54ed90c707.jpg

These skewers are awesome. The twists on the end and the shape mean that you can rotate to get the meat cooked on each side and they’ll stay in place. Don’t wipe the marinade off.

93deefc70773adf4fe6b9ac85c769ded.jpg

This is the last photo I got before they were plated and devoured. About halfway done.

baa39e0e7e016f98f7e373b2fc54fc85.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

43 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Like a dumbass, I forgot to get photos of the finished food since the guests came and I just got tied up. But last weekend I made maybe my favorite grilled food that isn’t steak.....Georgian style shashlyk, sort of like a kabob.

Shashlyk is street food across the entire former Soviet Union and just about any meat is used, and it can have a simple prep or complex marinade like the Georgians do. Muslim regions tend to use lamb, Russians and Ukrainians like beef, pork, and chicken. By the ocean, fish shashlyk is popular. This version is pork shoulder.

I serve this with a pretty simple salad of cucumbers/tomatoes/peppers/goat cheese and dressing because it’s a heavy meal. And some home quick pickled onions.

Cube the pork into one inch pieces. Marinade is some red wine vinegar, red wine, sunflower or vegetable oil, tomato paste, fresh thyme, fresh parsley, paprika, garlic, red pepper, and an onion. Grate— don’t dice or slice the onion. Salt and pepper.

4a0ce330a2674be3601b479b282db845.jpg

The marinade should be really gloppy and coat the meat. Let that sit in the fridge overnight at least.

017a4501dfa5aa200deb4d54ed90c707.jpg

These skewers are awesome. The twists on the end and the shape mean that you can rotate to get the meat cooked on each side and they’ll stay in place. Don’t wipe the marinade off.

93deefc70773adf4fe6b9ac85c769ded.jpg

This is the last photo I got before they were plated and devoured. About halfway done.

baa39e0e7e016f98f7e373b2fc54fc85.jpg

Looks incredible.  This would be a nice change of pace for our house.  I'm on my way to HEB.

• Drool 1

10 hours ago, mchookem said:

@pops is that homemade? i've only tried it at home from a jar. but i do homemade curry dishes, i'd like to try my hand if you have a good recipe...tikka masala is a fav! 

No. Last night was kind of spur of the moment so I sautéed some bell peppers onion garlic and ginger then threw in a jar of the Kroger brand jarred sauce (which is pretty good)  and a little coconut milk. 

Marinated the chicken in yogurt, some turmeric, garam masala lemon juice and ginger. 

I've done from scratch before with this recipe https://cafedelites.com/chicken-tikka-masala/ and it is as close to my favorite Indian restaurant as I can come. I use habanero for the heat,  though, because that's what he uses.  

• Like 1

Safeway had pre marinated jerk chicken on sale and I'd recently been to a bar that had jerk chicken as the special but didn't actually have it. It was on my list to make at home properly, might as well take a flyer on this to get a baseline. Actually ended up pretty good. Tacos with homemade slaw, grilled chicken, grilled pineapple/onion/cilantro with a little lime juice and avo slice.
ill make again and properly pimp it out but this was a good start.

XdQ63sYS0RDmvz9ylh0GBZbuB_wByah6DCpr2HQ1l5tYyTcGBzw8HCEygSwKDaIz0sV_v1E1qXnrbpxUoEaOsELzy3gkccldm5W_V_0t5-dVDcX_hc05d8wDjjRFoE4nZXZefvbRoEw1yOGxFp04nkBJ8h6558gq21ibU6Xt7LO4__WyV9ZC-u6X-xlCqhDQQVMakVsHfqymtbDZozluHSKOtkfBys8rqg7LfCIi70KZwlzdy_BDiR1_PGXugBzxTLl17_2L_ZTFrIGYeLWEmQusoE0g0x3xzyrATgF20BHtszJKr9DbwOrL4tKJcS0Hled93pHADmbk871UH7-RQ5kLaFipN5IkpTnniJxsIG3gAnUWdzjaC8V4HxLGjlnmv4nb3CJpIQzNjQQL6DofLGpJPu2KXxE1TzZh6NC3YEwUfshp1PGDRj6qHgYfh_Dm1D3ZSEUrQJGicDELwLMh8n3AjxBkkttWZFWGxM-PhF_rdCMj7j9ByowFsS8OYMkRgzj-IOzhkvkyZFH62PEHRsBInZ491P2I2V-NmylMi-lW-Y-WQCHv-TUMKjpcDdqCtHdmcF_KWTdbxE6IoqUiE5lsU8eRX9ag15Mwb47DZWrFcQdujjFu27CQkf0_vaXHwXYPHjnEpVEhQlZ400_nPY-Wtv7Cz3W02XhrBonD1aj1dLzJpPAJJtbHULNJs084AGLHSfAXky4Zb2lbWuaGquUU=w1910-h1071-no?authuser=0

On 5/22/2021 at 7:09 PM, CoachTex said:

Coconut shrimp, slaw and hush puppies. 20210522_175654.thumb.jpg.adce94fbb43a79562383fd08df025742.jpg20210522_175704.thumb.jpg.5a0c46b5864a5ee6a03ebe531a9c715e.jpg20210522_185003.thumb.jpg.5e960a5f4b2f834122b80b63c8c61634.jpg20210522_172037.thumb.jpg.9a993870826c0f8aff5c9fe814600ceb.jpg

How’s that Topo Chico Seltzer? Love me some Topo Chico, but haven’t found a hard seltzer I really like. Couple that are okay but nothing great. Hoping the Topo one is it

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

How’s that Topo Chico Seltzer? Love me some Topo Chico, but haven’t found a hard seltzer I really like. Couple that are okay but nothing great. Hoping the Topo one is 

Haven't tried it yet.  Heard good things. Those are for my wife(no pictures you filthy animals).

15 hours ago, CoachTex said:

Haven't tried it yet.  Heard good things. Those are for my wife(no pictures you filthy animals).

5 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Bud Light seltzer’s<white claw<truly<Vizzy I have not tried the topo’s yet or high noon which I have heard good things about.

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I’ve only had White Claw, Bud Light, & one or two others, but this is the least bad so far. Available at HEB. 

spacer.png

I’ve tried a few, just fucking around at the lake when I feel like slamming something quick and more refreshing than beer. Truly > everything else so far.

1 hour ago, pops said:

Bon Viv spiked seltzer is the only one I like. Truly is way too sweet and white claw has a weird metallic aftertaste to me. 

They have some funky flavor combos but a few of them are pretty tasty. 

Just an FYI props to your username.  Now that I’m a grandpa, my official nomenclature is Pops.  My grandpa was called Pop, my old man was called Pop-Pop, so there it is.  Can’t have my grandson calling me Judge. 

21 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Just an FYI props to your username.  Now that I’m a grandpa, my official nomenclature is Pops.  My grandpa was called Pop, my old man was called Pop-Pop, so there it is.  Can’t have my grandson calling me Judge. 

He can always call you Judgey-Wudgey like Steel Shank does. 

Since Mrs. Brat’s cousins are driving down here to visit with us tomorrow instead of us driving up to Dallas, we will bring home some takeout BBQ for lunch.

Mrs. Brat decided to bake a sheet of brownies to serve afterwards - with and without chopped pecans. So rather than bake two separate batches, she made a foil divider for the glass pan. She poured half the plain batter in one side (left), then added the chopped nuts to the remainder to pour in the Other side (right). We’ll see how that turns out.
of course it was my chore to lick the mixing bowl before washing it.

CECF3686-4458-4E1C-BA60-629F9D9B549F.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

abe4d79f4ea8ade66920e23db3221aa9.jpg

c35b04fe56f53776c59f0e782493b9af.jpg

My annual Father’s Day breffiss (challah French toast with bacon and eggs) and dinner (steak au poirve).

Happy Father’s Day to all you Surly bastards living the Dad Life. May those fathers of ours who have reposed, through the mercy of God, rest In peace.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2