Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

Caprese Salad using costco Mozzarella, and "Nona Pia's Balsamic Glaze" which is fantastic as it's thick and perfect for the quick caprese.  With the costco sized Mozzarella, and basil going crazy on the patio it's a great summertime fav of ours.

Seared scallops on spaghetti squash, with salad with a little blue cheese.  The squash takes forever to cook, but a lot lighter than pasta!

CapreseSalad.jpeg.8a74f5a091a4e061e05b510812253113.jpegScallopsandspaghettisquash.jpeg.6ad6fcb0f4e16b33d120d20def88e9dd.jpeg

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

On 8/13/2022 at 11:28 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I am a man of very little discernible talent. But I can make a mean mother fucking BLT during tomato season

61E53C20-EEB2-4D51-90FE-6948FFEB11DC.jpeg

On 7/29/2023 at 10:03 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

It’s that time of the year again, boys

IMG_6366.jpeg

IMG_6367.jpeg

So I am not a stalker, but I do search and skim this thread for inspiration from you degenerates. Ran across this one from a year ago and thought it looked familiar. This is the type of fucking consistency I can appreciate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So I am not a stalker, but I do search and skim this thread for inspiration from you degenerates. Ran across this one from a year ago and thought it looked familiar. This is the type of fucking consistency I can appreciate. 

Went with a pineapple or some other hybrid tomato this year with a much thicker cut and a better mayo drizzle. When the padowan becomes the master. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, harpercollins said:

Lamb ragu

On 7/30/2023 at 8:19 PM, Tonesky said:

This looks just like the defined dish one I love—is that the recipe?

No, but they are in the same ballpark.  It is based on this recipe, with (1) addition of celery, (2) addition of chopped pancetta (rendered before adding the soffritto), and (3) substitution of red wine for gin.  I used reconstituted dried mushrooms (and the strained liquid) instead of fresh.  It is pretty much my usual Bolognese, with (1) substitution of the cubed lamb for some mix of ground beef, veal, and pork, and (2) the long slow roast in the oven, rather than simmered on the cooktop.  Until my wife recently said she wanted to host a gin tasting and I asked that I cook something on theme, which led me to this recipe, I had never thought to take my dutch over from the cooktop to the oven.  I don't know that I would do that with ground meat, but it was perfect for larger chunks of meat.  I'll probably next try a mix of cubed veal and pork.  And, BTW, the original recipe version with gin as the braising liquid was damn good. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That was me.  I've made it several times and it's always a hit.  Nice work!

I read that as Aurora's Chicken Pepperoni.  Then I remembered your Pepperoncini Chicken skills and snapped out of it.

On 8/6/2023 at 7:51 PM, Gatorubet said:

I was rummaging through my fridge and found stuff I had to eat soon or toss.  So I just whipped up a crawfish, broccoli, red bell pepper, caramelized onion, cherry tomato, bacon, Vermont white cheddar and Oregon Guyere’ Quiche.  I accidentally made something that tastes awesome. 

696801AA-0B0C-4645-BB2A-9DE6C507FDF2.thumb.jpeg.0a8579b4f73d5698760752a913c7610f.jpeg

GODDAMN

One of the best things about the pepperoncini chicken is the potatoes, which soak up the fat from the chicken thighs and the pepperoncini brine.

The potatoes really are the star. I had to actually reserve some of the fat/brine from the pan so the potatoes would brown up the way I like, and then poured that mixture back over the plated dish. Chef’s kiss. Will make again.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

The potatoes really are the star. I had to actually reserve some of the fat/brine from the pan so the potatoes would brown up the way I like, and then poured that mixture back over the plated dish. Chef’s kiss. Will make again.

That's a really good idea.  The time it takes to get the potatoes done can ruin other parts of a dish.  I struggle with getting it all timed out correctly, and I'm absolutely trying this the next time I do a recipe like this.

16 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Made that Bon Appetit Pepperoncini chicken thigh recipe that @South Austin first posted and it definitely fucks. Next time I’m gonna throw the whole jar of pepperoncinis in there, as the ten that the recipe called for got gobbled up quick. It’s relatively simple but it does take a lot of time to make
08f7ab182be12c44b6731d2096fc3e91.jpg

Nice job on the skin. 

Did smash burgers on the Blackstone last night.  Had some leftover patties and grilled onions and mushrooms.  Threw them over brown rice with some quick brown gravy.  Add a couple of over easy eggs, green onions, shoyu, and sriracha and get a loco moco going for lunch.   

IMG_1100.thumb.jpeg.1e1bf4f7075eb52dbc528e749f2ee0e7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

Central Market… paid through the nose but it was worth it.

Enjoy!

f7b6db747d1f6ed15fc2db8bd3bb5867.jpg
9460b8f42c2962d54447c7a5c0a3ed0b.jpg

Morels grow wild on my son’s land. He uses them to barter for stuff as he isn’t going to harvest them again. He has used them for tractor repairs, deer hunting lease swaps, archery parts, etc. he has a friend who introduced him to a chef friend in OKC and he harvests them ( it’s only enough for a one night special) and he and DiL get a free steak dinner with his morels in the sauce. Also gives him some of the cleaned/ trimmed morels for son to put in his deer backstrap Diane dish he makes at home.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Made that Bon Appetit Pepperoncini chicken thigh recipe that @South Austin first posted and it definitely fucks. Next time I’m gonna throw the whole jar of pepperoncinis in there, as the ten that the recipe called for got gobbled up quick. It’s relatively simple but it does take a lot of time to make
08f7ab182be12c44b6731d2096fc3e91.jpg

This is a great dish. I use a whole jar of the sliced pepperocini instead as it makes better eating. I also add lemon zest, capers, and some Kalamata olives to the sauce.

24 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

This is a great dish. I use a whole jar of the sliced pepperocini instead as it makes better eating. I also add lemon zest, capers, and some Kalamata olives to the sauce.

While eating last night I thought that adding olives would be nice. Good call on the capers and lemon zest.

As I mentioned above, when I pulled it from the oven and took out the thighs and pepperoncinis, there was a bit too much fat/brine in the pan to properly brown the potatoes, so I reserved about 3/4 cup and browned the potatoes in the remaining fat. I think next time I'm going to pull the potatoes after browning, deglaze the pan (which had a ton of fond) with a little white wine, add back the fat and brine and reduce it down to a bit into a pan sauce to pour over everything. 

• Like 1