impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

50 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Warren's plans, if enacted, stand to reduce spending in some areas by reduction of corruption.  Unfortunately, I don't believe it will result in reduction of the debt, or even the deficit.

There will only be expansion of the deficit under Warren or Sanders specifically. Hell, Sanders senior economic adviser is a major proponent of Modern Monetary Theory. 

https://twitter.com/StephanieKelton

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

There will only be expansion of the deficit under Warren or Sanders specifically. Hell, Sanders senior economic adviser is a major proponent of Modern Monetary Theory. 

What a weirdo, she should know by now that the majority of the folks who love deficit spending are Republicans these days.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Very few people in middle America are watching these impeachment hearings and Trump's numbers re: impeachment are getting more favorable for him.

No wonder Pelosi was reluctant to start hearings.

Wow. Some incredible numbers here. 

“among the 11 issues that Politico and Morning Consult tested, impeachment ranked last, well below the deficit at 74%, health care at 72%, and infrastructure at 70%. Even Trump’s absurd border wall scored as a higher priority for Independents.“

59 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

There will be an expansion of the deficit under anyone in the parties as currently constituted.

What exactly the fuck do you think Trump is doing??  And he had both houses for two years.

Which is what I'm grousing about.

I give Warren infinite credit for actually discussing how her programs will be paid for, and for taking it to third parties for analysis.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If the Dems want to get the most of the impeachment hearings for either actual impeachment or poltiical gain in 2020, they need to distill their accusation/judgement to a handful of sentences. Then find a way to get on all of the networks and news channels including Fox News for a few minutes.

• The President was worried about Biden's #s in the polls
  • He demanded a favor from Zelensky, and also ordered Giuliani and Sondland to continue these demands to Ukraine make up a damaging story about Biden via his son
  • He illegally withheld $400m of US taxpayer money that both GOP and Dems in Congress wanted to go to Ukraine

The Ukrainians knew the money was withheld and what was needed to be done to get it.

Trump only released the funds when he was caught.

If there case has to be explained to the US public in 30+ minutes, people won't listen. Hell, my 5 bullet points might be too much.

You need a maximum of  3, two to four word soundbites.  Think of British Tabloid headlines.  Trump is a master of this with 

• No collusion
  • no quid pro quo
  • Build the Wall

Add in some nicknames or turn a name into an adjective like

• Don the Don
  • Giuliani the Grenade
  • Putin's Puppet 
  • He's Trumped

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Hero ain't nothing but a sammich. 

We're all familiar with the overpriced toilet seats and allen wrenches. And with billions of dollars lost in the sand. It's where the money gets spent and who gets it. We can do a better job, that's for certain, but whose ox gets gored? 

Right now the grift is out in the open. No quiet kickbacks or connections like a proper corrupt official. This man straight up figures out how to make us pay for everything. How much time has he spent playing golf? Completely blown his Secret Service budget. It's stunning. 

And I am supposed to believe that I should worry about a trillion dollars in debt?

Well, maybe at some point in the game. But, right at the moment he's got a tweet machine and he can start a goddamn war over alien reptile spies in the Sudan.

Polls might not be great and maybe it's not ideal for the Democratic party to make R leaning indies uncomfortable, but it had to be done. 

Every day on the right side of the dirt with a mostly intact society is a daily blessing. 

I thought maybe he'd grow into it. It was a foolish idea that he could be like Chet Arthur. I didn't expect that the GOP would so totally be willing to sell out. Lindsey Graham. He's probably the poster child. But, every single one of them now has to kowtow, at all times, and if they can't bear to do it they run away. 

The only voices that have been long associated with the GOP that are willing to look at the facts of this administration and admit that they can't abide them no longer have any power. Zero. Shut out. 

The Democrats are far from perfect. Never have been. But, right now they are the party of truth, justice, and the American way in comparison to this bunch of stupid, hateful people. 

I don't disagree with any of that.  But the context is my feeling of ennui at having to abandon the "conservative" party.

For now, I am totally on board with not-Trump.  But that doesn't satisfy me for the longer term (I believe there will be a longer term).  

I can't vote GOP until it is seriously reconstituted and I'm not completely content with voting Democrat, particularly if there's no credible, classically conservative loyal opposition.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't disagree with any of that.  But the context is my feeling of ennui at having to abandon the "conservative" party.

For now, I am totally on board with not-Trump.  But that doesn't satisfy me for the longer term (I believe there will be a longer term).  

I can't vote GOP until it is seriously reconstituted and I'm not completely content with voting Democrat, particularly if there's no credible, classically conservative loyal opposition.

So it just sounds like you're depressed that the GOP turned out to be a bunch of lying con artists.  That's understandable.

How about the realization that there has NEVER been a classically Conservative party here. It has always been a lie. I don’t believe that classical conservativism actually exists outside of academic hypotheticals, much like “true communism.” Both are fantasies used to sell control.
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So it just sounds like you're depressed that the GOP turned out to be a bunch of lying con artists.  That's understandable.

More or less.  I mean they're all con artists to one degree or another.

But I think that was BrickHorn's point, which I agreed with, is all.

Edited by TwiceHorn

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

How about the realization that there has NEVER been a classically Conservative party here. It has always been a lie. I don’t believe that classical conservativism actually exists outside of academic hypotheticals, much like “true communism.” Both are fantasies used to sell control.

Ehhh, I think that's going a little too far.

And again, political parties are all about control.  From time to time obtaining and maintaining that control coincides with propelling the country forward.  And on occasion it goes completely off the rails as it has.

Leave the Democrats without loyal opposition and you think that's gonna turn out well?

And again, political parties are all about control.  From time to time obtaining and maintaining that control coincides with propelling the country forward.  And on occasion it goes completely off the rails as it has.
Leave the Democrats without loyal opposition and you think that's gonna turn out well?

Absolutely not.
But there’s never been a loyal opposition. Let the delusions fall away. Realize that reality is more moderated than the fantastical lies we’ve been told.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's the problem. That loyal part. Where is Lindsey Graham's loyalty?

He and others will be there to be in opposition to whatever comes. To stand athwart the tides of history and holler stop! 

That's all McConnell had as a plan. Break norms, rewrite rules, and obstruct everything. 

I'm not worried about the Democrats being unopposed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

That's the problem. That loyal part. Where is Lindsey Graham's loyalty?

He and others will be there to be in opposition to whatever comes. To stand athwart the tides of history and holler stop! 

That's all McConnell had as a plan. Break norms, rewrite rules, and obstruct everything. 

I'm not worried about the Democrats being unopposed. 

Rest assured, I'm not talking about the current situation.

I'm talking about the longer term.

Hence the use of the term "loyal."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Rest assured, I'm not talking about the current situation.

I'm talking about the longer term.

Hence the use of the term "loyal."

Start this again. 

I can't fix your party. It's going to have to be you, Brisket, GoLL, SbBruin, and the rest. They don't need redneck hippies. 

It's not going to be easy getting him off that ledge.

Wow. Watch the video. When it’s a laid out....wow.

And Nunes went on this trip last December - deliberately. Why is that important?

Because it was after the Republicans lost control of the House but before the Democrats actually took control in January. So they were able to put a generic line in the congressional record about a “trip to Europe” with zero details.

If it happens after January, the Democrats in control would have pressed him for more information.

Could you imagine if Nunes was sitting in front being question, and what Gym Jordan and Co. would be saying?

Fuck congressional hearings. He needs to be in an orange jumpsuit. Members of Congress don’t get impeached. They get arrested, convicted, and sentenced. Fuck that treasonous piece of shit.
  • Like 1

Nunez is obviously compromised because of Russian money. Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupider than he is. 

Republicans love the government because things like private prisons stock full of low level pot users pays the bills and keeps the private/government graft going. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a flat out moron. 

Trump loves the government because as president he can make a shitload more money than he otherwise would have since he’s otherwise broke as shit. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a flat out moron. 

The death of the Republican Party cannot come soon enough. 

• Like 3

Ever since George W. Bush's presidency, Republicans have been believing more & more in the UNITARY EXECUTIVE THEORY.

The unitary executive theory essentially means that "the president is king and if the president orders you to do something, you do it no matter what".

Of course, Republicans only believe in this theory when there's a Republican in the White House. Also, Congress in the past 50 years has delegated more and more power to the Executive Branch (aka the Presidency).

• Like 1

Schiff needs to have Parnas testify before Thanksgiving and implicate Nunes. The republicans are going to trash Parnas for being a criminal, but we’re already seeing some emails that confirm Nunes’ involvement. 

edit: Dems have filed an ethics complaint against Nunes due to his failure to recuse himself:

He’s not going down without a fight, though: 

Edited by hookem17

It was always an easy assumption that Nunes was involved in this shit because his water carrying efforts didn’t make sense for any other reason.  Nice to see it confirmed though.  I don’t know how they will be able to keep him involved in the hearings as soon as this is proven by evidence.

• Like 1