impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Perfect example of creating their own news and trying to shape the narrative.  Just make it up, some people will think it's the truth.

You're referring to republicans right? Or the media? I'm shocked democrats don't have $100 million in dark money ads putting Trump's corruption on blast. Wtf? 

• Like 1

Perfect example of creating their own news and trying to shape the narrative.  Just make it up, some people will think it's the truth.

Yep.  Full throttle PR effort in effect to sow doubt and dampen public push for formal impeachment. 

And from a public attention/perception standpoint for the House initiative to impeach, it's definitely still too soon to impeach.  Only three more weeks of Congress in session this year and have to get through the holidays.  Never mind that a lot more evidence and compelled testimony stands to not become available until early next year.

Oh, they aren't making it up. Some Democrats are getting cold feet. A handful or more will vote no.

Only one party is going to be unanimous in its impeachment vote.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Oh, they aren't making it up. Some Democrats are getting cold feet. A handful or more will vote no.

Only one party is going to be unanimous in its impeachment vote.

To be fair to democrats, when you're as corrupt as the fucking GOP and most of your members lack critical thinking skills, it's a lot easier to keep people in line.

5 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

It's fucking insane for the Dems to continue to let the moderate wing of the party dictate action. It's our Waterloo 

Democrats are currently losing the impeachment battle. Skittish moderates see the polls moving in the wrong direction. Support for impeaching Donald Trump peaked over a month ago. I really thought the opposite would be true with independents.

We have one whole, long, terrible year of until we know who will win the war.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Democrats are currently losing the impeachment battle. Skittish moderates see the polls moving in the wrong direction. Support for impeaching Donald Trump peaked over a month ago. I really thought the opposite would be true with independents.

We have one whole, long, terrible year of until we know who will win the war.

If only their most visible leader took a fucking stand and drove unity on this issue. Nancy is gonna fuck it up, tell me how that isn't gonna happen 

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

If only their most visible leader took a fucking stand and drove unity on this issue. Nancy is gonna fuck it up, tell me how that isn't gonna happen 

She has the votes to impeach. I don't think that will change. She's not going to be able to whip a unanimous vote, though, and I bet she's not too happy about that.

48 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Has twitter changed their algorithm? Since the impeachment started I've been getting right wing tweets on my timeline without me or anyone I follow liking or retweeting the tweet. Anybody else experiencing this? 

If the promoted tweet isn’t something you’re interested in, then check out the upside down caret on the upper right of the tweet and select that you don’t like the ad.

31 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

She has the votes to impeach. I don't think that will change. She's not going to be able to whip a unanimous vote, though, and I bet she's not too happy about that.

As you know, its not been unanimous from the start and that had no bearing on Pelosi’s outlook dating back to early 2019 when she took the gavel.  Recall the incremental announcements in support of impeachment by individual Reps all summer into the Fall.  And now a major toe hold was just devastatingly laid out in the run up to the TG/Christmas recesses.  

Considering the challenges of maintaining positive momentum for that duration with an ongoing crescendo, Pelosi deserves serious credit.  Arguably Pelosi is using Dem ‘holdouts’ as more powder for when a unanimous push is needed.  Sure GOP PR and spin will paint it as ‘divided’ but expect that will fall flat beginning sometime in early 2020.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

They wouldn't be overruling Roberts.  He's like a judge.  He doesn't grant motions that aren't made by the parties.  Before Roberts could order someone to testify, an order would have to issue from the Senate for that person to testify.

Dunno.   This language indicates that Roberts can be overruled upon motion of a Senator in his rulings. The Chief Justice is the Presiding Officer on the Trial when it involves the POTUS.   

"VII. The Presiding Officer of the Senate shall direct all necessary preparations in the Senate Chamber, and the Presiding Officer on the trial shall direct all the forms of proceedings while the Senate is sitting for the purpose of trying an impeachment, and all forms during the trial not otherwise specially provided for. And the Presiding Officer on the trial may rule on all questions of evidence including, but not limited to, questions of relevancy, materiality, and redundancy of evidence and incidental questions, which ruling shall stand as the judgment of the Senate, unless some Member of the Senate shall ask that a formal vote be taken thereon, in which case it shall be submitted to the Senate for decision without debate; or he may at his option, in the first instance, submit any such question to a vote of the Members of the Senate. Upon all such questions the vote shall be taken in accordance with the Standing Rules of the Senate."

• Like 1

Any Dems that are being affected by polling on this are morons. If the polls say it was a 60/40 independents split 2 weeks ago for impeachment, and now it’s swung to 40//60, who cares. I highly doubt any Indy who changed their mind is going to hold their position so fervently that it would be the deciding reason to vote against a candidate. But, it will matter a shit-ton to a large percentage of Dems who hate Trump. For skittish Dems in purple districts, they may have reasons to wish we never went down this path (starting the impeachment). It would have better for them to avoid the vote. But now that we are here, and there is a vote, they are morons if the are influenced by short term movements in polling of people who don’t really care that much.

• Like 3

What is it exactly that "independents" or "the public" heard that turned them further away from impeachment during the hearings??

It's horseshit, and the Dems need to start aggressively controlling the messaging NOW to get the undisputed bottom line of the corruption that's been exposed front and center to the public.

Get the ruling on Monday about WH absolute immunity and take things further to get Pompeo, Bolton, Mulvaney .... it doesn't have to drag on for months, but it's too soon to draw up the report and impeachment articles when those guys almost certainly have explosive testimony -- or have to take the Fifth -- or commit perjury.

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

What is it exactly that "independents" or "the public" heard that turned them further away from impeachment during the hearings??

Spin from the Fox News media.....I don't believe for a second that impeachment has turned......everything must be double and triple checked these days 

• Like 2

And the Devin Nunes Ukraine stuff needs to play out a little. Very few Americans have even heard about that shit yet. 

And Regarding Rudy, or We Need to Talk about Rudy...whichever movie you prefer. Is there not probable cause at this point that he's committed a number of crimes? Indictments, please.

Sorry I've had too much coffee today

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Ahhhh, yes. The republic fails because GOPs are wicked and Dems are weak. 

If you're not willing to risk your seat on this issue, you have no business being in office. This is way worse than the Iraq invasion capitulation which was shameful.

GOPs afraid of losing power burn everything to the ground to prevent it. Dems afraid of losing power flee to the lake and hide in the shallow water.

This is a disgusting display of representative government.

Adam Schiff and the brave witnesses must wonder what country they actually live in. The one they thought they did does not exist even as an ideal.

Three farts for the red, white, blue.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

How in the ever loving fuck is support for impeachment going down after the testimony and republican ”cross examination” this week?

Modern society checks out after 48 hours. I'm guessing this too complicated and too drawn out for modern society so many are falling back on just wait until the election. 

From that 53% in Wisconsin are guarantee you many are still planning to vote against Trump. The pollsters should have broke that number down further. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Modern society checks out after 48 hours. I'm guessing this too complicated and too drawn out for modern society so many are falling back on just wait until the election. 

This is why I think they should draw out impeachment until just before the election.  Or impeach him multiple times for all the different shit.  If you do it now, in 2019, the moron public has 10 months to forget about it.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2019 at 4:59 PM, DixonHur said:

Rumor is that many pubs would vote to impeach if they didn't have to do it publicly.  Basically they'd be able to hide behind plausible deniability for reelection.

And there's no downside because if he were acquitted everyone would know it was the gop who voted to acquit 

No, there is still leverage against GOP senators with a private vote because Chuck Woolley  lead the cowboys and mountain men to murder them all should they let Trump be removed from office.

2 hours ago, jw4381 said:

How in the ever loving fuck is support for impeachment going down after the testimony and republican ”cross examination” this week?

It wasn’t.  Those poll numbers almost all reflected prior to this week.  The most recent one went from the 17th to the 20th, with the bulk of the data of the other polls gathered before the end of the FIRST week of hearings.  It’s misinformation.   If the 538 numbers from polls taken this week show the same thing, then I’ll be wrong.  But I’m betting they don’t.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

It wasn’t.  Those poll numbers almost all reflected prior to this week.  The most recent one went from the 17th to the 20th, with the bulk of the data of the other polls gathered before the end of the FIRST week of hearings.  It’s misinformation.   If the 538 numbers from polls taken this week show the same thing, then I’ll be wrong.  But I’m betting they don’t.

Peak support was over a month ago.

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

For those wondering how/why support might be eroding, I highly recommend this interview I heard on KUT this morning driving out to West Texas.

It's roughly the first 15-20 minutes of the podcast.

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/452538775/on-the-media

I think I heard that too.  The theory was that undecided types now believe Trump is guilty and have moved on to the questions of:  is this really impeachable and the related question of, why not just wait for the election.

Edited by TwiceHorn

7 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

They're not even ads.

I'm not saying that this is definitely the case, but it's possible that this is an otherwise innocuous or interesting seeming account that you followed and which has gone from posting funny cat videos (or whatever) to bullshit and propaganda after attracting a certain number of followers. 

I'm sure there's more on this phenomenon in the Active Measures thread.