The Supremes

tx 3 putt

2 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Like with abortion, it's about control, not about what's "best" for trans kids.

I’m going to take a wild guess here, the people involved on the decision making side here, have zero medical qualifications to be pushing a blanket law/ruling like this. 

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

You don’t like trans kids, I get it hit stop singling then out. And dear god, stop this fucking obsession with trans kids. They’re going to be be up getting some poor kid murdered and the obsession is creepy 

‘you’ is the maga GQP, not any specific poster 

3 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

I'm not going to hunt the link down again, but a Texas trans kid already tried to kill himself. When his family sought treatment, they were reported to CPS and were investigated. 

they’re being being used a propaganda / pawn piece. Maga GQP politicians don’t give a shit but those trans kids stir up the base. Just look at the posts here 

Ted Cruz especially, he’s for or against whatever brings in money or keeps him in office 

MASTER PRECEDENT is the concern - any issue - if the conservatives judges don’t like it they can claim it’s not deeply rooted in our nations history, done it’s not protected. That’s the issue we are facing in the next 1-30 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

you think roe v wade being struck down is bad?  A much worse thing is coming down the pike. There are legislatures in swing states like Wisconsin that might never lose control because they are so gerrymandered. If the state legislature there has no checks and balances, they can pass laws which allow them to over ride election results they don’t like. 

this country is going down the shitter in a hurry.

10 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

What is not in play now?

Sanford?
Miranda?
Brown?

I think everything can be torn down at this point. Someone needs somehow to find the money trail. The only reason to be this idiotic and cruel is for hard cash. There has to be a trail.

We need Thomas to die. I really despise that guy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

What is not in play now?

Sanford?
Miranda?
Brown?

I think everything can be torn down at this point. Someone needs somehow to find the money trail. The only reason to be this idiotic and cruel is for hard cash. There has to be a trail.

There was a Miranda case, government wanted to limit the accused’s right to bring suit for damages, protect the officer and the government against damages from suit, a form of immunity really, guess which side won?

11 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

What is not in play now?

Sanford?
Miranda?
Brown?

We should get our resident crypto expert on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

When people who have a single-minded focus on power, and they see the surest way of demonstrating the degree of that power is to hurt people, showing that they cannot be stopped, this is how it goes.  "Fuck you, I'm in charge, you're my little bitch, and I can do whatever I want to you -- here, watch this as I smash eggs on your head and hammer nails through your feet, and you can't do shit to stop me, that's how powerful I am."  That's what we're seeing -- how raw power is used by humans at their worst.  It is what we have always called "evil."  This is exactly what evil looks like.  The word has meaning, and we're living through the definition.

From 1984.

How does one man assert his power over another, Winston?“

Winston thought. “By making him suffer”, he said.

“Exactly. By making him suffer. Obedience is not enough. Unless he is suffering, how can you be sure that he is obeying your will and not his own? Power is in inflicting pain and humiliation. Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined."

I bolded the last line because it's the sentiment we keep hearing from the Right Wingers.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

From 1984.

How does one man assert his power over another, Winston?“
Winston thought. “By making him suffer”, he said.
“Exactly. By making him suffer. Obedience is not enough. Unless he is suffering, how can you be sure that he is obeying your will and not his own? Power is in inflicting pain and humiliation. Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined."

I bolded the last line because it's the sentiment we keep hearing from the Right Wingers.

Bingo.

5 hours ago, troph said:

MASTER PRECEDENT is the concern - any issue - if the conservatives judges don’t like it they can claim it’s not deeply rooted in our nations history, done it’s not protected. That’s the issue we are facing in the next 1-30 years. 

yep 

you think roe v wade being struck down is bad?  A much worse thing is coming down the pike. There are legislatures in swing states like Wisconsin that might never lose control because they are so gerrymandered. If the state legislature there has no checks and balances, they can pass laws which allow them to over ride election results they don’t like. 

On the long road to death of American democracy, this case may just be the coup de grace.

What they’re doing in Wisconsin is the future model for the red and purple states.
  • Rage+1 1

More on what New York is doing.  They are starting the process to amend the State Constitution.  That is an onerous process, but they are enshrining a lot of things like abortion, gay marriage, etc… in anticipation of what fuckery this court might do.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/01/nyregion/ny-guns-abortion-supreme-court.html

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Well if she didn't want to get pregnant, maybe that 10 year old should have thought about the consequences before being such a slut /s

Not to state the obvious but something is pretty broken for a 10-year old to be sexually active at all, let along getting pregnant. She should of course have access to abortion and other reproductive care, and shouldn't have to travel to another state, but this story is gross for multiple reasons. I don't know how common this is (suspect and hope it is super rare) but in a functioning society there would be more resources dedicated to prevention of scenarios like this.

56 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

More on what New York is doing.  They are starting the process to amend the State Constitution.  That is an onerous process, but they are enshrining a lot of things like abortion, gay marriage, etc… in anticipation of what fuckery this court might do.

a trip to nyc for an abortion would be very to hide as a get away / vacation 

47 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Not to state the obvious but something is pretty broken for a 10-year old to be sexually active at all, let along getting pregnant. She should of course have access to abortion and other reproductive care, and shouldn't have to travel to another state, but this story is gross for multiple reasons. I don't know how common this is (suspect and hope it is super rare) but in a functioning society there would be more resources dedicated to prevention of scenarios like this.

She was a rape victim 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

That's all well and good until there's a Federal law banning it. 

• Rage+1 1

49 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Assuming that this case is a sexual assault, likely by a family member. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

It’s actually much worse than that. It will mean that Republican-controlled states will be able to do exactly what Trump and his henchmen were trying to make happen - just ignore the will of the people and give their electoral votes to their candidate. This is a level 11 crisis and I really don’t see how it gets stopped. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

This line worries me on your thought process (and I could definitely be wrong on my assumption here). But me thinks this 10 yr old didn't go looking for dick, dick probably went looking for her. 

To be clear I don't think this 10 year old was "looking for dick". I didn't see in the article that she was a victim of rape. On second read I do see that she was referred to the clinic by a sexual assault doctor, so presumably was a victim of some bad shit. Even if she wasn't sexually assaulted, clearly she wouldn't be old enough to meaningfully consent to any sexual relationship and I would surmise that she was coerced in some way. I wasn't trying to cast aspersions on her at all and if I gave that impression then I chose my words poorly. More just railing at the system.

Edited by Serak The Preparer
  • Hook 'Em 3

[mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] ?

[/url]

It’s actually much worse than that. It will mean that Republican-controlled states will be able to do exactly what Trump and his henchmen were trying to make happen - just ignore the will of the people and give their electoral votes to their candidate. This is a level 11 crisis and I really don’t see how it gets stopped. 

Y’all understand how dangerous a situation we’re in. This is absolutely one of their alternate plans. They have TOLD you so. Believe them.

The percentage chance that we’ve seen our last free and fair POTUS election is a lot fucking higher than you ever imagined it could be. I think a 30%+ chance is not overstating the risk.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Y’all understand how dangerous a situation we’re in. This is absolutely one of their alternate plans. They have TOLD you so. Believe them.

The percentage chance that we’ve seen our last free and fair POTUS election is a lot fucking higher than you ever imagined it could be. I think a 30%+ chance is not overstating the risk.

all it will take is Georgia or Arizona to turn over results and other states will follow 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

And if that happens, there will be blood in the streets.

As there should be.

What makes you say that?  Maybe this is my cold hard political heart talking, but I don't think a damn thing would happen.  To be sure, democrats would rage at CNN and google how to move to Canada, but I doubt there would be an ounce of real violence.  Similarly, democratic law makers would clutch their pearls and complain about norms being broken and the rule of law, but republicans would get away with it. 

They literally stole a supreme court seat in front of God and everyone and did not pay a single political price for it.  Their base cheered.  There was an armed uprising against the government and, not only was Trump not prosecuted, there's a significant chance he's elected again.

Someone posted a tweet a couple of days ago that compared republicans to the school shooter and democrats to the Uvalde cops.  It's the perfect metaphor.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 3