The Supremes

tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Rape victims generally don't get pregnant.

/ Ken Paxton probably

Yesli Vega, GOP 

A Republican nominee in a closely watched House race in Virginia made bizarre and false comments about rape victims, saying in leaked audio recordings that she wouldn’t be surprised if a woman’s body prevents pregnancies from rape because “it’s not something that’s happening organically,” and that the rapist is doing it “quickly.”

The nominee, Yesli Vega, a supervisor and sheriff’s deputy in Prince William County, made the remarks at a campaign stop last month in Stafford County, according to Axios, which published the audio recordings on Monday.

16 minutes ago, Keef said:

What makes you say that?  Maybe this is my cold hard political heart talking, but I don't think a damn thing would happen.  To be sure, democrats would rage at CNN and google how to move to Canada, but I doubt there would be an ounce of real violence.  Similarly, democratic law makers would clutch their pearls and complain about norms being broken and the rule of law, but republicans would get away with it. 

They literally stole a supreme court seat in front of God and everyone and did not pay a single political price for it.  Their base cheered.  There was an armed uprising against the government and, not only was Trump not prosecuted, there's a significant chance he's elected again.

Someone posted a tweet a couple of days ago that compared republicans to the school shooter and democrats to the Uvalde cops.  It's the perfect metaphor.  

Yep. I think we’re screwed. As the Twitter thread explains, it will be done “legally”, since scotus will rubber stamp it. It’s a full on destruction of democracy, but they will get away with it in the end.  There aren’t enough people willing to upend their lives to stop this. 

• Rage+1 2

There is zero chance that Biden will hand over power peacefully if some states decide to pick their own electors after it's announced that Biden won enough states to win it all. Hell that's the shit they were trying to pull unofficially in 2020, but Pence wouldn't have it. At least Biden will be in control going through the 2024 election, and can work through the legal process will commanding the military.  Hopefully that's enough to ensure stability and general civility among the people.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Yesli Vega, GOP 

A Republican nominee in a closely watched House race in Virginia made bizarre and false comments about rape victims, saying in leaked audio recordings that she wouldn’t be surprised if a woman’s body prevents pregnancies from rape because “it’s not something that’s happening organically,” and that the rapist is doing it “quickly.”

The nominee, Yesli Vega, a supervisor and sheriff’s deputy in Prince William County, made the remarks at a campaign stop last month in Stafford County, according to Axios, which published the audio recordings on Monday.

Todd Akin called. He wants his “legitimate rape” comment back. 

There is zero chance that Biden will hand over power peacefully if some states decide to pick their own electors after it's announced that Biden won enough states to win it all. Hell that's the shit they were trying to pull unofficially in 2020, but Pence wouldn't have it. At least Biden will be in control going through the 2024 election, and can work through the legal process will commanding the military.  Hopefully that's enough to ensure stability and general civility among the people.  

Hate to break it to you but Biden is a pussy. He’ll strike a “deal” with Turtle to step down on the assurances it won’t happen again.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Hate to break it to you but Biden is a pussy. He’ll strike a “deal” with Turtle to step down on the assurances it won’t happen again.

I know (think) you're being facetious, but we have historical precedent -- he didn't cave in 2020, with the same argument being thrown against him, other than he wasn't the incumbent.

53 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

This may be our last hope. Man, I can’t believe it might come to this. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

He's not a pussy, but he's way behind the times. He still thinks the Senate is a legitimate institution and that any problem with republicans can be fixed over martinis at lunch.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm kinda beside myself on this one.

We knew this in our hearts in November of 2020. That Trump might not step down, that there were plans in place, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. But things didn't quite work out so they went to Plan B. That was their fail safe because they play to win. Roger Stone said it in that documentary about Bush versus Gore and Florida and he was, for once, being candid. Because it's a powerful corrupt criminal organization.

Gangster Squad. Decent movie. But it's the moving pictures and not real.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm kinda beside myself on this one.  The way that guy spells it out, there is literally no option to stop this.  Other than something I won't write on the internet.

I think there are less extreme and more effective strategies. A general strike and tactical civil disobedience could grind the economy to a halt.

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

I think there are less extreme and more effective strategies. A general strike and tactical civil disobedience could grind the economy to a halt.

Agree, but what have you seen that makes you think this is at all on the table?  The average American doesn't have any idea what is happening in their local community, let alone on the national stage.

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

I find it hard to believe there isn't any law governing how any of those states choose their electors for President. If the State legislature can just do it themselves, why even have a popular vote that could go against their wishes?

Because we have somehow been able to skate by for 250 years on good faith actors.  We are now seeing that all it takes is people not being good faith actors and the entire system goes up like fucking silly string that's been set on fire.

7X-rDX77Q_QrQsTYLHvEQQnj6Mcvm7xnuRFCGfHp

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Agree, but what have you seen that makes you think this is at all on the table?  The average American doesn't have any idea what is happening in their local community, let alone on the national stage.

I think there are still "big" moments possible today, and Jan 6 was one of them. A state being stolen would not be forgotten. People turn up for presidential elections.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Because we have somehow been able to skate by for 250 years on good faith actors.  We are now seeing that all it takes is people not being good faith actors and the entire system goes up like fucking silly string that's been set on fire.

7X-rDX77Q_QrQsTYLHvEQQnj6Mcvm7xnuRFCGfHp

The average citizen being a clueless dumbfuck has played an outsize role as well. 

• Rage+1 2

51 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I find it hard to believe there isn't any law governing how any of those states choose their electors for President. If the State legislature can just do it themselves, why even have a popular vote that could go against their wishes?

There are. But if the courts can't enforce the law, there's nothing to stop the leges from sending whatever electors they want. And of course they can just change the law to where the popular vote doesn't matter. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

2 minutes ago, B00M said:

Am I the only one that thought the state electors voting the will of the state's people was always nothing more than a hand shake agreement? 

no, it's been the weakest link the whole time.

• Like 1

Just now, troph said:

no, it's been the weakest link the whole time.

They're supposed to be a final bulwark against people irrationally voting for tyrants, right? ... If the electors want to over rule the people to vote for tyrants like trump with no loyalty to the constitution... I'll be armed in the streets with you. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

My understanding is in the all or nothing states there are always 2 sets of electors, one from each of the 2 major parties and one becomes official once the results of the popular vote is known. I would imagine in the scenario above if a state tried to send votes from the electors of the losing party the VP would simply refuse to recognize those electors and certify correctly. If SCOTUS doesn’t like it they can try to enforce their ruling. If any dipshit “militias” or even govs whose state Natl guard leaders want to FAFO with the US military let them.  Not ideal but If that’s how they wants it that’s how they gets it

Y’all need to get Biden enough votes to legit get re-elected before you worry about that shit

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

My understanding is in the all or nothing states there are always 2 sets of electors, one from each of the 2 major parties and one becomes official once the results of the popular vote is known. I would imagine in the scenario above if a state tried to send votes from the electors of the losing party the VP would simply refuse to recognize those electors and certify correctly. If SCOTUS doesn’t like it they can try to enforce their ruling. If any dipshit “militias” or even govs whose state Natl guard leaders want to FAFO with the US military let them.  Not ideal but If that’s how they wants it that’s how they gets it

Y’all need to get Biden enough votes to legit get re-elected before you worry about that shit

per Trump, the vp can decide the election !!!

They're supposed to be a final bulwark against people irrationally voting for tyrants, right? ... If the electors want to over rule the people to vote for tyrants like trump with no loyalty to the constitution... I'll be armed in the streets with you. 

What about a run-of-the-mill asshole, totally non-tyrant like Desantis?

How would you react if one state legislature over rules the people in support of their party's guy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

So nasty.  The populous is tremendously softer now. I think we see regional domestic terror increase in lieu of a civil war that looks anything like the OG 

Yep.  This is where I land.

27 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

So nasty.  The populous is tremendously softer now. I think we see regional domestic terror increase in lieu of a civil war that looks anything like the OG 

Oh for sure. But there was plenty of that in Civil War I (we should probably start calling it that, because there's going to be a II). I'm in the middle of a fantastic book, Violence in the Hill Country: The Texas Frontier in the Civil War Era. One of the main ideas is that there were plenty of Unionists in the Hill Country who were being hunted by the Confederate Army and pro-Confederacy mobs. Some of them were Unionists because they were anti-secession. Some were Unionists because the US Army did a good job of protecting them from Native American tribes and the Army bought enough food and supplies to keep the local economy humming. And some just wanted to be left the hell alone on their farm. It's a fascinating book, but it's also scary as hell, because I can see the blueprint about where we're headed in the next few years. And I'm really doing my best to stay off the ledge, but if the Supreme Court rules the way we think they will on this state legislature case, it's all over.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

should have gotten rid of the EC once all the states started awarding electors based on the state popular vote back in the ~1840s.  or at latest during the progressive era when they also got rid of the *totally corrupt* state appointment of senators. 

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Maybe but by softer you mean willing to sell it all to move halfway around the Earth. If I had to fight - if I had to - I would rage like a mother fucker 20:1 before they take me out. The fact that I can escape doesn’t make me softer, it makes me smarter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B00M said:

As mentioned I’ll be gone, you should be too.

6 hours ago, chainsaw said:

He's not a pussy, but he's way behind the times. He still thinks the Senate is a legitimate institution and that any problem with republicans can be fixed over martinis at lunch.

This^ Biden is playing by an entirely different set of rules that Republicans laugh at and ignore.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Oh for sure. But there was plenty of that in Civil War I (we should probably start calling it that, because there's going to be a II). I'm in the middle of a fantastic book, Violence in the Hill Country: The Texas Frontier in the Civil War Era. One of the main ideas is that there were plenty of Unionists in the Hill Country who were being hunted by the Confederate Army and pro-Confederacy mobs. Some of them were Unionists because they were anti-secession. Some were Unionists because the US Army did a good job of protecting them from Native American tribes and the Army bought enough food and supplies to keep the local economy humming. And some just wanted to be left the hell alone on their farm. It's a fascinating book, but it's also scary as hell, because I can see the blueprint about where we're headed in the next few years. And I'm really doing my best to stay off the ledge, but if the Supreme Court rules the way we think they will on this state legislature case, it's all over.

Yes that case is it. Plan accordingly. It’s already over.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Maybe but by softer you mean willing to sell it all to move halfway around the Earth. If I had to fight - if I had to - I would rage like a mother fucker 20:1 before they take me out. The fact that I can escape doesn’t make me softer, it makes me smarter.

I don’t doubt that, and it wasn’t directed at you. I’m talking 99.9% of society. Even our poorest have had an astonishingly easier life now, than back then.  We expect to live longer. We see and experience much less violence than one would encounter before the civil war.  We still have our share of cruel and fucked up people, no doubt, but we are softer. I’m sure you’re very well read on the civil war. Just fucking brutal. 

followed quickly by 

• Like 1

For one, this. With Trump, who fucking knows, but pretty sure Biden would lose to Desantis today. Might eek out a popular vote win but would lose several states won in 2020. As it stands today, the idea of Biden winning by the same or larger margin as 2020 is the same level of fanfic as Texas going 11-1 and making the CFP.

What’s frustrating about the SCOTUS case is, at least to my non-lawyer mind, the counter argument is fairly simple. Yes, the US constitution does give them authority over elections, explicitly so. Every state constitution was ratified by the state legislatures, and was done so after ratification of the US Constitution. The election procedures, court oversight, etc. in each state have therefore been enacted by the legislatures and have received implicit votes of confidence from the legislatures in every election given they’ve never moved to act outside of these lines before. Hard to get more “rooted in the history and tradition of this nation.”

It would therefore seem be farcical to give any rolling aside from “Of course state courts and election administrators can exercise the power vested in them by the laws your legislature passed and the constitutions it ratified. If you don’t like it, get them changed.” Am I wrong?

However, I realize SCOTUS doesn’t give a fuck and will do whatever is best for the GOP. They wouldn’t be hearing the case at all otherwise.

I don’t doubt that, and it wasn’t directed at you. I’m talking 99.9% of society. Even our poorest have had an astonishingly easier life now, than back then.  We expect to live longer. We see and experience much less violence than one would encounter before the civil war.  We still have our share of cruel and fucked up people, no doubt, but we are softer. I’m sure you’re very well read on the civil war. Just fucking brutal. 
[/url] followed quickly by 

I don’t think it’s just that the population is “softer,” although obviously we’re more comfortable in the modern world and that’s part of it.

The Civil War was a very clean divide. Slavery vs. Abolition. North vs. South. Nineteenth century standing armies on both sides.

That’s just not how the country or the world works today. The divide is urban vs. rural, not between states. Modern insurgent warfare is decentralized. I don’t even know what would become of the military, I think they’d probably be trying to protect the nukes and other high value assets more than anything else.

I do agree that if we see state legislatures ignore popular votes that we’re probably looking at consistent but targeted political violence. Higher than what we see today. Not Syria, not maybe as bad or even worse than drug violence in Mexico.

It is insane watching a state fail at digitally enabled lightning speed, in real time.

14 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

It’s actually much worse than that. It will mean that Republican-controlled states will be able to do exactly what Trump and his henchmen were trying to make happen - just ignore the will of the people and give their electoral votes to their candidate. This is a level 11 crisis and I really don’t see how it gets stopped. 

If this happens then I want as much chaos, violence, and civil unrest as humanly possible. Society as we know it would need to come perilously close to crumbling. Make these fuckers bluff and back down like they did in the capitol. 

• Hook 'Em 3