The Supremes

tx 3 putt

9 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

There aren’t gonna be elections during those 30 years, at least not as we understand them. Christofascist authoritarians out front shoulda told ya.

8 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

If the Reps control both houses going into the 24 elections, we're done as a democracy. If (when) they play Calvin ball w/ the 24 election (w/ full support of SCOTUS) we'll be a fascist state.  Hence, The Ledge.  

y'all are both correct. I was painting a picture that is the absolute best outcome Dems can hope for. First the next two years are gridlock. then AT A MINIMUM Republicans have full control over all three branches for half the time. AT BEST Dems can force gridlock for close to have the time and if, and possibly only if the electorate rises up with the Dems sniff control but even then they get snuffed out by the one two punch of SCOTUS and the following Republican sweep and full control again.  That's the BEST POSSIBLE outcome for Dems. 

Likely outcomes are much worse. hell, even that best possible outcome has the country careening off the cliff when the Republicans have control because the Dems can't do the square root of jack shit to stop them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

The power of the purse is the biggest hammer any of the branches wield. Congress is too chickenshit to use it.

The Senate is dominated by small red states who love this SCOTUS, so yeah, they'll never do anything to stop them and are chickenshit in many respects. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The Senate is dominated by small red states who love this SCOTUS, so yeah, they'll never do anything to stop them and are chickenshit in many respects. 

The house could do it by themselves. Would require at least a partial shutdown of govt and they will never do that because they care more about getting re-elected than anything else

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/11/2022 at 10:41 AM, Js1 said:

Yep.  Obama's approval rating when he lost the House - 44/48.  By Election Day - 52/45

Bill's approval when the 1994 Revolution happened - 46/46.  By Election Day - 58/35

Trump's approval when the Dems retook the House - 38/56.  By Election Day - 43/55 (AND ALMOST WON)

2 years is the longest time in politics. 

You keep saying Trump almost won, but the election wasn't really all that close. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

You keep saying Trump almost won, but the election wasn't really all that close. 

Yeah it was. As close as 2016. Both could have easily gone the opposite way 

It was in the sense that our elections are decided by the electoral college, and about 45k votes out of 158.3mm, or 0.028% of the national electorate, across three swing states were what separated this country from a second Trump term.

22 hours ago, gmr548 said:

It was in the sense that our elections are decided by the electoral college, and about 45k votes out of 158.3mm, or 0.028% of the national electorate, across three swing states were what separated this country from a second Trump term.

Sorry if this point was made prior. This is point of this decision.  Eliminating the right to privacy from the constitution is going to embolden the legislatures in those states to go after same sex marriage, contraception, homosexual sex etc.  I believe this court, when asked, will certainly overturn the existing precedent on all of these issues.  They want to make it criminal for certain groups of people to live there. A lot of blue people will flee to already blue states. No longer a chance of it being a swing state. Now its just a red state. The blue refugees will not increase the populations in their new state enough to increase electoral votes.

Abortion wasn't the real target. It was just the first step to guaranteeing that one party will control congress and the Oval Office for eternity.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 4

4 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Why it REALLY matters that a sitting supreme court justice is sleeping with a bonkers Q conspiracist:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/03/why-you-should-care-that-ginni-thomas-is-bonkers/

Has it been discussed that Ginni Thomas was in the Lifespring cult in the 80's?  She is pant-shitting hobo crazy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Sorry if this point was made prior. This is point of this decision.  Eliminating the right to privacy from the constitution is going to embolden the legislatures in those states to go after same sex marriage, contraception, homosexual sex etc.  I believe this court, when asked, will certainly overturn the existing precedent on all of these issues.  They want to make it criminal for certain groups of people to live there. A lot of blue people will flee to already blue states. No longer a chance of it being a swing state. Now its just a red state. The blue refugees will not increase the populations in their new state enough to increase electoral votes.

Abortion wasn't the real target. It was just the first step to guaranteeing that one party will control congress and the Oval Office for eternity.

This is a decent theory.  I think that if this were to occur, the country would dissolve.  Maybe that's ultimately the best outcome.  Let the fascist insane people live in their own fascist insane country.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is a decent theory.  I think that if this were to occur, the country would dissolve.  Maybe that's ultimately the best outcome.  Let the fascist insane people live in their own fascist insane country.

Wife has been out of town for the week, so I have had the opportunity to have some tequila soaked reflection.  I truly believe that this is the path forward for republicans.  Thomas will 100% vote to overturn Loving. He lives in Virginia, a blue state but he will make damn sure that Georgia, North Carolina and every other state can outlaw interracial-marriage and force every gay, lesbian and interracial couples to leave the those states. He is a complete piece of shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Disregarding the utter lunacy of a split with no geographical continuity, I'd love to see the red states try to deal with the economics of losing California, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Georgia, Washington, etc.  Oil & gas would be the main leverage, and to a lesser extent, farming.

It's beyond a non-starter.  Ain't gonna happen.

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Disregarding the utter lunacy of a split with no geographical continuity, I'd love to see the red states try to deal with the economics of losing California, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Georgia, Washington, etc.  Oil & gas would be the main leverage, and to a lesser extent, farming.

Have you been watching what’s happening in college football lately?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Wife has been out of town for the week, so I have had the opportunity to have some tequila soaked reflection.  I truly believe that this is the path forward for republicans.  Thomas will 100% vote to overturn Loving. He lives in Virginia, a blue state but he will make damn sure that Georgia, North Carolina and every other state can outlaw interracial-marriage and force every gay, lesbian and interracial couples to leave the those states. He is a complete piece of shit.

Well,  it is known that he's uncle Thom,  or rather,  uncle ruckus...

He literally hates the color of his own skin... uncle Clarence Thomas Ruckus, Supreme Court justice... house man for the great,  white man,  that takes care of his people

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It won’t, but it needs to. 

12 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

There was a survey that showed 30% of voters in red states said they would be better off if their state left the USA.  My thought was, fucking go for it assholes.

That would be about the only way my employer would wake up and realize tax breaks ain't everything.

The US would also be better if their states left.

13 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

There was a survey that showed 30% of voters in red states said they would be better off if their state left the USA.  My thought was, fucking go for it assholes.

That would be about the only way my employer would wake up and realize tax breaks ain't everything.

harris county would never leave the US, let Texas leave without Austin, dfw, Houston, El Paso 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

California produces like 80% of US produce and fruit. Good luck with your famine, red states.

Fuck off with this line of thinking.

Y’all realize Texas would be first on the list of “GTFO states” for blue states, yes?

And despite the ruby red status of places like Alabama and Mississippi, there’s still 40% of us who hate our overall voting patterns.

Not to mention that the percentage of Black residents is higher in these states than almost any blue state.

And a lot of us in that 40% don’t have the means or privilege to just pick up and move.

I get the sentiment but as a blue dot in a red state it gets real tiring to listen to our supposed allies writing us off to be sacrificed.

At least Alabama elected Doug Jones in the last few years.

When’s the last time a Texas Democrat won a statewide election?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

LOL at the notion of leaving Austin cause you couldn't stand the politics of Texas. 

If Texas were not part of the US?

News flash:  we're leaving Austin and Texas regardless of any secession.  Fuck this place.

Well, for starters, those of us who lean blue and live in Texas fully understand we'd need to leave, so the rest of your screed doesn't really apply to us.

Screed, huh?

Good to know you’d have the means to leave.

If leaving means becoming a refugee living in tents in California or New York and being treated like such, how much better is that?

I’m sure all the poor Black folks in Mississippi and Alabama and Louisiana would love to be able to blithely debate the merits of purchasing $500,000 worth of property in Portugal or Spain.

As much as I appreciate the motivation behind the Texpatriates thread, it’s absolutely infuriating to read.

I’d love to pick up my life and move to NYC or Seattle or San Diego or wherever.

Problem is, I don’t have the economic ability to do so.

And the majority of Texans who feel the same way you don’t either. This board skews very white and rich and out of touch with the majority of Democratic voters.

Sometimes it’s really obvious that most of y’all were former republicans and these discussions are illustrative of that.

Y’all really want to effect real electoral change? Move to purple states and make your vote and politics count.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

I'll grant you the abortion issue, but otherwise if you are driving around Austin perseverating on how bad the Texas Lege is making your life you spend your time a bit different than me I guess. 

What if you were driving around Austin in February 2021 in the freezing dark because of the electric grid designed exactly according to the GOP wet-dream called SB-7? I mean, I guess you caught a break, being that the freeze also gave your kids an unscheduled break from attending an underfunded AISD that sends a huge chunk of its funding to the state because the state govt has steadfastly refused to attend to education for decades. Or maybe you pondered getting back some of your tuition from UT - which skyrocketed as the state slashed higher ed support - since they cancelled classes too. Or maybe it was just a regular day, and you wondered if our state leadership’s unrelenting demonization of brown people was going to lead to another El Paso Walmart-type shooting, except this time, at the heavily Hispanic HEB on north Lamar that you like to shop at.
The state is a GOP wet-dream shitshow, and that includes Austin. The fact that Austin leadership regularly adds a schmear of additional bad leadership on top doesn’t change that.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

Screed, huh?

If leaving means becoming a refugee living in tents in California or New York and being treated like such, how much better is that?

I’m sure all the poor Black folks in Mississippi and Alabama and Louisiana would love to be able to blithely debate the merits of purchasing $500,000 worth of property in Portugal or Spain.

As much as I appreciate the motivation behind the Texpatriates thread, it’s absolutely infuriating to read.

I’d love to pick up my life and move to NYC or Seattle or San Diego or wherever.

And the majority of Texans who feel the same way you don’t either. This board skews very white and rich and out of touch with the majority of Democratic voters.

Sometimes it’s really obvious that most of y’all were former republicans and these discussions are illustrative of that.

Y’all really want to effect real electoral change? Move to purple states and make your vote and politics count.

Or, we’ve just realized that the GQP hellscape ethos of “every man for himself” has won, completely and totally, and we’re gonna play by the rules as they’ve been set.
I never wanted those rules. I’ve fought and yelled like hell against them for well over a decade. It has done no good. It’s only gotten worse. The rules have been set. Flee if you can. Shit, flee even if you can’t.
They’ve won. If you live someplace where they govern, your life is only going to become more hellish. You should run, however you can.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Holy out of touch batballs, 'bama.  That's the first time it's been implied that I might be anything close to a former Republican.

What in the fuck do you think I'm talking about doing?

29 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Screed, huh?

Don't worry, once 'poor' democratic hellholes like Chicago stop sending their money to dipshits in DC we'll be much better off and be able to offer plenty to refugees who want to come out this way.  Also, climate change has made things much better here.  From the little I know about your background, you'll have no trouble finding a good job. 

Nobody says it's going to be a picnic leaving these dead weight states behind.  If it gets to that, we need to call their bluff and let them be.  Texas will be fine but that's certainly the exception.  Most red states would be dead in the water without all that government assistance they love to shit on. 

45 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Screed, huh?

You are missing the long game for the Republican politicians in states like MS, AL, etc… Once they bring back slavery then they will have plenty of people to choose from for that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

You are missing the long game for the Republican politicians in states like MS, AL, etc… Once they bring back slavery then they will have plenty of people to choose from for that.  

Just remember….today’s hyperbole is tomorrow’s fact.

When the economic engine states are separated from the MAGAland southern states, those MAGA states will be in dire economic straits. In response to “the unwarranted economic aggression and separation” of the blue states, MAGAland “will be left with no choice but to implement strict required labor statutes in order to preserve their economic independence” or some such shit.

Remember the rules of this timeline: it only gets worse, and there is no bottom.

Don't worry, once 'poor' democratic hellholes like Chicago stop sending their money to dipshits in DC we'll be much better off and be able to offer plenty to refugees who want to come out this way.  Also, climate change has made things much better here.  From the little I know about your background, you'll have no trouble finding a good job. 
Nobody says it's going to be a picnic leaving these dead weight states behind.  If it gets to that, we need to call their bluff and let them be.  Texas will be fine but that's certainly the exception.  Most red states would be dead in the water without all that government assistance they love to shit on. 

You need a Marketing VP with a Master’s degree and 25 years of experience in healthcare?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2