Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

IT

By: Precocious @josephcook 

(STATE CHAMPION) DEVON ACHANE

With slot receiver still a need in the 2020 class after Mookie Cooper’s de-committment, Texas recently offered Fort Bend Marshall speedster Devon Achane.

The 5-foot-9, 170 pound Achane was a key cog for a Marshall track team that took home the boys 5A state championship over the weekend. Achane not only ran the second leg on a first place 4x100 (40.24) and anchor on a first place, 5A meet record 4x200 (1:23.38), he also won the 200m with a time of 20.69. 

“It’s a great thing for Marshall,” Achane said, who also was a part of its state finalist football team. “You know, track and football goes hand in hand. If you play sports, you play football, you’re athletic, and you’re in a skill position, you’re going to run track.”

“Like it or not,” he said smiling with his 4x100 medal around his neck, “you’re going to run.”

Recruiting has taken a backseat to track this spring for Achane, but that doesn’t mean schools from around the country aren’t paying attention to him. In 2019 alone, he’s picked up 13 Power 5 offers.

When asked what schools he had heard from, he mentioned LSU, Alabama, and USC before switching to a more general “all the big schools.”

He notched an offer from Texas on April 24, and the Longhorns look to be a factor in his recruitment.

“I’m from Texas, so I’ve got to love Texas,” Achane said. “They’re a really good school.”

Now that track season is finished, Achane expects to take visits over the summer. He plans to take one to UT, but wasn’t sure if it would be an official or an unofficial. 

As a competitor, a state champion, and a star on the football field, finding a winning program is important for Achane.

“Championship pedigree, that’s a very important thing,” Achane said. “Me, I don’t like to lose, so why would I want to go somewhere that likes to lose?”

CHRISTIAN GONZALEZ

Texas remains in good shape for top safety targets Chris Thompson, Xavion Alford, and Bryson Washington. Behind those three in-state still exists plenty of high-level defensive back talent.

One example is The Colony’s Christian Gonzalez. In the past few days, Gonzalez has notched major offers from some of the game’s top programs.

“It’s been crazy,” Gonzalez said. “Bama offered. It’s unbelievable. I can’t even put it into words.”

In addition to the Crimson Tide, Ohio State, Miami, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Notre Dame and, Baylor have jumped in the competition for Gonzalez’s services.

Gonzalez had a PR of 21.65 in the 200m, and ran a 21.71 in the 5A 200m finals won by Achane.

The rising athlete from the metroplex has heard from Texas, as Drew Mehringer made a stop in Lewisville to see Gonzalez.

When asked about an offer, Gonzalez said Texas has not spoken much with him about a scholarship. However, he said Craig Naivar still remains in contact and wants Gonzalez to visit.

VISIT PLANS FOR 5-STAR RB

The five-star RB ran anchor on Aledo’s 42.65 4x100 effort. I caught up to him as he and his teammates were preparing to leave, so the conversation was short.

McClellan used his official visit to Oklahoma during the Sooners’ spring game, which he called a great experience.

When asked what the latest in his recruitment was, McClellan said he is still committed to Oklahoma, but “just keeping my options open.”

He said he plans to take visits to Texas, Georgia, LSU, and Alabama. He wasn’t sure of a date for his Texas visit, or if it was going to be an official, just that he would visit Austin again.

McClellan doesn't plan to be completely finished with the recruiting process after his Under Armour All-American Game in January.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

By: Precocious @josephcook 

(STATE CHAMPION) DEVON ACHANE

With slot receiver still a need in the 2020 class after Mookie Cooper’s de-committment, Texas recently offered Fort Bend Marshall speedster Devon Achane.

The 5-foot-9, 170 pound Achane was a key cog for a Marshall track team that took home the boys 5A state championship over the weekend. Achane not only ran the second leg on a first place 4x100 (40.24) and anchor on a first place, 5A meet record 4x200 (1:23.38), he also won the 200m with a time of 20.69. 

“It’s a great thing for Marshall,” Achane said, who also was a part of its state finalist football team. “You know, track and football goes hand in hand. If you play sports, you play football, you’re athletic, and you’re in a skill position, you’re going to run track.”

“Like it or not,” he said smiling with his 4x100 medal around his neck, “you’re going to run.”

Recruiting has taken a backseat to track this spring for Achane, but that doesn’t mean schools from around the country aren’t paying attention to him. In 2019 alone, he’s picked up 13 Power 5 offers.

When asked what schools he had heard from, he mentioned LSU, Alabama, and USC before switching to a more general “all the big schools.”

He notched an offer from Texas on April 24, and the Longhorns look to be a factor in his recruitment.

“I’m from Texas, so I’ve got to love Texas,” Achane said. “They’re a really good school.”

Now that track season is finished, Achane expects to take visits over the summer. He plans to take one to UT, but wasn’t sure if it would be an official or an unofficial. 

As a competitor, a state champion, and a star on the football field, finding a winning program is important for Achane.

“Championship pedigree, that’s a very important thing,” Achane said. “Me, I don’t like to lose, so why would I want to go somewhere that likes to lose?”

CHRISTIAN GONZALEZ

Texas remains in good shape for top safety targets Chris Thompson, Xavion Alford, and Bryson Washington. Behind those three in-state still exists plenty of high-level defensive back talent.

One example is The Colony’s Christian Gonzalez. In the past few days, Gonzalez has notched major offers from some of the game’s top programs.

“It’s been crazy,” Gonzalez said. “Bama offered. It’s unbelievable. I can’t even put it into words.”

In addition to the Crimson Tide, Ohio State, Miami, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Notre Dame and, Baylor have jumped in the competition for Gonzalez’s services.

Gonzalez had a PR of 21.65 in the 200m, and ran a 21.71 in the 5A 200m finals won by Achane.

The rising athlete from the metroplex has heard from Texas, as Drew Mehringer made a stop in Lewisville to see Gonzalez.

When asked about an offer, Gonzalez said Texas has not spoken much with him about a scholarship. However, he said Craig Naivar still remains in contact and wants Gonzalez to visit.

VISIT PLANS FOR 5-STAR RB

The five-star RB ran anchor on Aledo’s 42.65 4x100 effort. I caught up to him as he and his teammates were preparing to leave, so the conversation was short.

McClellan used his official visit to Oklahoma during the Sooners’ spring game, which he called a great experience.

When asked what the latest in his recruitment was, McClellan said he is still committed to Oklahoma, but “just keeping my options open.”

He said he plans to take visits to Texas, Georgia, LSU, and Alabama. He wasn’t sure of a date for his Texas visit, or if it was going to be an official, just that he would visit Austin again.

McClellan doesn't plan to be completely finished with the recruiting process after his Under Armour All-American Game in January.

I know they keep saying Mookie will visit again and we have a good chance of landing him, but I'm almost at the point that he should be considered a pass. An OOS kid who's this wishy-washy seems like a kid who's likely to transfer when he's not starting after his first year. I'd probably prefer Achane over Mookie at this point, even though I think Mookie's a little better. Hopefully it's true that Achane hasn't been focusing much on recruiting, so there's not much of a gap for us to close with A&M for him.

48 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I know they keep saying Mookie will visit again and we have a good chance of landing him, but I'm almost at the point that he should be considered a pass. An OOS kid who's this wishy-washy seems like a kid who's likely to transfer when he's not starting after his first year. I'd probably prefer Achane over Mookie at this point, even though I think Mookie's a little better. Hopefully it's true that Achane hasn't been focusing much on recruiting, so there's not much of a gap for us to close with A&M for him.

Still think Mookie fits in with this class, and that shouldn't take away a spot for Achane either way.

The Stampede: Where Texas stands with JUCO LB Juwan Mitchell after OV

The Longhorns hosted El Dorado (Kan.) Butler C.C. linebacker Juwan Mitchell over the weekend. Texas coaches identified Mitchell as a potential fit for their defense, and his status as a full qualifier following a year at prep school made things even easier for Texas. The Longhorns were familiar with Mitchell’s game having recruited his teammate Jacoby Jones during the 2019 cycle. Jones was a huge part of the official visit weekend, and he acted as Mitchell’s player host during the visit.I was told by a source at Butler that Mitchell and Jones are closer than your average teammates. The two were very good friends at Butler, and that’s playing an advantage for Texas.

Mitchell visited Arkansas a week ago, and I’m told that the Razorbacks did a great job on the visit. The Longhorns got the last shot, and I think they made the bigger impression. Jones’ presence was probably the difference maker for Texas, and there is a lot of confidence in the Longhorns coming out of the weekend. Mitchell was entertaining taking some other visits, but I’m told he will shut things down and make a decision. If Mitchell completes his classes and finals, he will be able to enroll in Austin during the summer and compete for playing time. Mitchell does not need to attain an associate degree as a full qualifier, but he does have to complete a certain amount of credits towards his degree plan to be eligible.

This weekend was as much about Texas getting to know Mitchell as it was Mitchell getting acquainted with the Longhorn coaches. In a recruitment like this with a small window, there is a concern about not being able to learn enough about a prospect to determine if they are a culture fit. I’m told that Mitchell checked all of the boxes during the visit, and both parties feel that Texas could potentially be a good fit. Mitchell has no stated timetable for his decision, but it will need to come quickly with summer school approaching. I’ve entered a crystal ball for Texas, and I feel confident in their chances provided everything works out on the academic side. If Texas lands Mitchell, I expect them to pass on Florida graduate transfer linebacker Kylan Johnson. They are working with a limited number of scholarships, and the staff likes to keep flexibility within their numbers. (Mike Roach)

The Longhorns landed Jake Majors early in the year, and he’s been a valuable recruiter behind the scenes for the Longhorns. Majors is accomplished on the film, but those who have met him rave about his character and work ethic.Horns247 spoke with Prosper head coach Brandon Schmidt for some background on what the Longhorns are getting in Majors. “He’s just a wonderful young man,” he said. “He’s a pleasure to work with. He’s one of the hardest workers on our team.He’s a high academic kid and a high character kid. He brings the whole package to the table. When you get a kid with those intangibles and combine those with the physical tools, that’s how you end up going to the University of Texas.”

Majors plays tackle at the high school level, but he will be asked to move to the interior once he gets to Texas.Majors’ skill and intelligence are reasons he can be moved, and Schmidt thinks he will have no issues making the transition. “Not at all,” he said. “I think playing tackle has helped him from a footwork standpoint. He’s a physical kid, and I think that transitioning to being an interior lineman at Texas will not be a problem.”

One visit to a Prosper practice, and it’s clear that Majors is one of the top leaders in their program.Not only is he vocal, Majors leads by example on the field. Schmidt said that getting leadership from the offensive line is one of the best things that can happen to a team. “I think it’s a tremendous advantage for us because the offensive line has to be the hardest working unit on any football team,” he said. “When you have that kid who’s the hardest worker on that position group, it sets the tone for the offense. It also sets the tone for the team. If you’re a defensive lineman at practice, you better bring it every day.” (Mike Roach)

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Mookie is the better more advanced receiver, while Achane is mostly a gadget back who does sweeps and other various manufactured touches at this point, but Achane's track times have me preferring him if given the choice. He played QB before Hornsby got there, which I think is promising from being a good football player in general standpoint. 

Mike Roach: JUCO DL Perrion Winfrey talks about his red-hot recruitment

Perrion Winfrey has been on fire as of late. The JUCO defensive tackle from Iowa Western C.C. picked up recent offers from Alabama, Arizona, Baylor, LSU, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State, and Texas. As a prospect coming out of high school, Winfrey only held four offers. This time around, the attention is overwhelming for him. “It’s crazy man,” Winfrey said. “These offers still feel unreal. It’s truly life-changing.”

So, what’s the difference in the second recruitment for Winfrey? It turns out he just needed to change his focus. “It’s about how I approached the classroom and the field,” he said. “I had a different mindset than I did in high school. I feel as if I can’t lose or be defeated. I have people to prove wrong.” The Texas offer grabbed Winfrey’s attention. He kept up with the program last season, and he noticed them in their Sugar Bowl victory.

“I’m highly interested in the program,” he said. “They just gave Georgia a run for their money last year.” Winfrey’s teammate Willie Tyler picked Texas this spring. The two are close, and Winfrey said he’d love to play with him. However, he’s ultimately looking for the best fit for himself. “Playing with my boy would definitely be great,” he said. “I’m trying to find the best situation for me, and if that happens to be Texas then look out because we’re coming.”

Several schools grabbed Winfrey’s attention early, but one is standing out. Oklahoma offered Winfrey in February, and they’ve made an early impression. “It’s tough, But Oklahoma is definitely standing out at the moment,” Winfrey said. “The coaching staff is showing lots of love. I have a great relationship with Lincoln (Riley).” JUCO prospects only have a small window of time to make their mark. With that in mind, Winfrey is looking for a place that he can play early. “I’m looking for a place where I can come in and dominate right away,” he said. At 6-foot-4, 305 pounds, Winfrey is not currently ranked.

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Based on your posting history and penchant for drinking before 9 am, I always kind of assumed that you were Chip Brown. 

I never really felt that he was a fraudulent cocksucker who created false sources to disparage the University and its football team.

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Before anybody asks, yes he was a full qualifier out of high school. 

The Butler CC to Texas Pipeline is flowing. 

Next spring we'll have Mitchell, Johnson, Adeoye, Tillman, Gbenda, and (maybe) Floyd.  Hopefully at that point Johnson has learned what to do to utilize his speed and someone takes the other spot with a suitable backup or 2.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Welcome to the family Juwan. Please finish up your school work and get here in June. 

Film junkies, can he cover? 

Based on his hudl, which is limited, he looks pretty slow to me. A lot of plays where he’s lumbering to get sideline to sideline, but he brings the wood in th box and isn’t afraid to take an OL head on. I think he’s a Mac all the way. With guys like him and Adeoye, it’s all about how quickly they can diagnose the play and avoid false steps. It’s hard to tell on film how that will translate to this level, especially because Big 12 offensive minds are the bets in the nation at causing defenders to see ghosts.

48 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm kind of coming around on Eaton. He's tall and he can run, so there's that. Alford is the best Texas is going to do at nickel this cycle. 

The Eaton eval will really depend on how he improves on field this year, but he definitely has all the physical tools.

idk about Alford, at least at Nickel. He didn’t test great this offseason and I’m not convinced he’ll hold up in the run game as well as Orlando requires for a guy to see the field at Nickel. I think there’s a few guys we could get that may be better at that spot, but Alford’ still a take all the way even if he doesn’t fit at Nickel.

36 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Next spring we'll have Mitchell, Johnson, Adeoye, Tillman, Gbenda, and (maybe) Floyd.  Hopefully at that point Johnson has learned what to do to utilize his speed and someone takes the other spot with a suitable backup or 2.

Yeah. Caleb Johnson being at least solid at Rover for the next 2-3 years would be absolutely huge for us. 

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Based on his hudl, which is limited, he looks pretty slow to me. A lot of plays where he’s lumbering to get sideline to sideline, but he brings the wood in th box and isn’t afraid to take an OL head on. I think he’s a Mac all the way. With guys like him and Adeoye, it’s all about how quickly they can diagnose the play and avoid false steps. It’s hard to tell on film how that will translate to this level, especially because Big 12 offensive minds are the bets in the nation at causing defenders to see ghosts.

The Eaton eval will really depend on how he improves on field this year, but he definitely has all the physical tools.

idk about Alford, at least at Nickel. He didn’t test great this offseason and I’m not convinced he’ll hold up in the run game as well as Orlando requires for a guy to see the field at Nickel. I think there’s a few guys we could get that may be better at that spot, but Alford’ still a take all the way even if he doesn’t fit at Nickel.

KU is moving from a Air Raid to pro.

KSU is moving from power spread to pro.

WVU is moving from Air Raid to power spread.

Texas Tech is moving from Air Raid to a spread.

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

KU is moving from a Air Raid to pro.

KSU is moving from power spread to pro.

WVU is moving from Air Raid to power spread.

Texas Tech is moving from Air Raid to a spread.

Lol. I never said anything about air raid. A team isn’t required to run an air raid, or even a spread, in order to put defenders in conflict and catch them making a step towards false motion.  

Tech and WVU will still be putting the defenders in conflict and testing their speed sideline to sideline, not to mention you still have OU, OSU, and TCU. The Big 12 is by far the toughest conference for a defender to diagnose the offense.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

Just now, MexHorn said:
39 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:
Yeah. Caleb Johnson being at least solid at Rover for the next 2-3 years would be absolutely huge for us. 

Wasnt he listed as a JR earlier in the year? I thought he was a 3 for 3 guy

He hasn't been granted the medical redshirt yet, apparently.

Roach - Film Room: Evaluating New Texas Commit Mitchell

Spoiler

ILB Juwan Mitchell, El Dorado (Kan.) Butler C.C.

Strengths: Mitchell has a thick frame with good weight and bulk. He shows good initial burst and the ability to read and react quickly to fill running lanes. He moves downhill with very little wasted motion, and he shows good tackling ability. Mitchell plays physically at the point of attack, and he shows good closing speed. Mitchell plays with a strong motor and doesn’t appear uncomfortable dropping into coverage. Mitchell plays with an edge, and he brings the physicality Todd Orlando looks for in linebackers.

Areas for improvement: Mitchell is somewhat limited athletically, and he appears to struggle with changing directions quickly. He runs well when he reaches top speed, but his lateral ability is lacking. Mitchell could improve on using his hands to shed blockers at the point of attack.7COMMENTS

Fit for Texas: Mitchell’s eligibility to immediately enroll is huge for a Texas team that is looking for immediate help at the linebacker position. Mitchell should be able to compete for time at the “Mac” position and push Ayodele Adoeye for playing time. He will also be able to contribute on special teams from the moment he reaches campus.

Recruitment: Mitchell played his high school ball at Mater Dei high school in Middletown, NJ. A full-qualifier, Mitchell is available to enroll in June. He was previously committed to Rutgers and Minnesota, and he ultimately chose Texas over offers from Arkansas, UTEP, and Old Dominion. At 6-foot-1, 235 pounds, Mitchell is ranked as the No. 1 JUCO inside linebacker in the nation and No. 5 overall prospect in New Jersey, according to 247Sports Composite.

6 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Roach - Film Room: Evaluating New Texas Commit Mitchell

Reveal hidden contents

ILB Juwan Mitchell, El Dorado (Kan.) Butler C.C.

Strengths: Mitchell has a thick frame with good weight and bulk. He shows good initial burst and the ability to read and react quickly to fill running lanes. He moves downhill with very little wasted motion, and he shows good tackling ability. Mitchell plays physically at the point of attack, and he shows good closing speed. Mitchell plays with a strong motor and doesn’t appear uncomfortable dropping into coverage. Mitchell plays with an edge, and he brings the physicality Todd Orlando looks for in linebackers.

Areas for improvement: Mitchell is somewhat limited athletically, and he appears to struggle with changing directions quickly. He runs well when he reaches top speed, but his lateral ability is lacking. Mitchell could improve on using his hands to shed blockers at the point of attack.7COMMENTS

Fit for Texas: Mitchell’s eligibility to immediately enroll is huge for a Texas team that is looking for immediate help at the linebacker position. Mitchell should be able to compete for time at the “Mac” position and push Ayodele Adoeye for playing time. He will also be able to contribute on special teams from the moment he reaches campus.

Recruitment: Mitchell played his high school ball at Mater Dei high school in Middletown, NJ. A full-qualifier, Mitchell is available to enroll in June. He was previously committed to Rutgers and Minnesota, and he ultimately chose Texas over offers from Arkansas, UTEP, and Old Dominion. At 6-foot-1, 235 pounds, Mitchell is ranked as the No. 1 JUCO inside linebacker in the nation and No. 5 overall prospect in New Jersey, according to 247Sports Composite.

So one Adeoye wasn't enough?