Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Nahlin says we might hire SMU's DC Kevin Kane as co-DC/LBs coach, for what it's worth

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

You're allowed to have a separate linebackers coach? Who knew!?

What defensive formation does SMU run especially with regards to LBs?

According to: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/4/3/18285682/smu-football-2019-preview-schedule-roster, it seems Kane would be a plus for recruiting (mainly DFW) and demonstrated effectiveness on passing downs. At least SMU regards Kane as a rising defensive coach.

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Looks like DC is done. Someone tell Princely we’ve got a 4 man front. 

https://twitter.com/horns247/status/1206259188185198592?s=21

If Princely is meant to be a DE in a 3-man front, where does play in a 4-man front? I'd think he'd be a 3-technique DT. Maybe a SDE if he stays small.

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

If Princely is meant to be a DE in a 3-man front, where does play in a 4-man front? I'd think he'd be a 3-technique DT. Maybe a SDE if he stays small.

Without knowing what his actual height/weight right now, I think he could fit SDE, but if he's naturally going to get towards 300 lbs once he hits our S&T, then it would need to be 3 tech. 

What defensive formation does SMU run especially with regards to LBs?
According to: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/4/3/18285682/smu-football-2019-preview-schedule-roster, it seems Kane would be a plus for recruiting (mainly DFW) and demonstrated effectiveness on passing downs. At least SMU regards Kane as a rising defensive coach.

83575cbaec1cf35de2856bb5f0a31238.jpg

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Nahlin says we might hire SMU's DC Kevin Kane as co-DC/LBs coach, for what it's worth

Nahlin doesn’t know shit. He looked and saw that Kane was on Ash’s first staff at Rutgers and decided to throw his name out as though he has any idea what the fuck is going on. He doesn’t know anything more than anyone else about the staff right now. 

54 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Without knowing what his actual height/weight right now, I think he could fit SDE, but if he's naturally going to get towards 300 lbs once he hits our S&T, then it would need to be 3 tech. 

You are too declarative for your own good. A big SDE in Ash’s defense can push towards 300 and be fine. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You are too declarative for your own good. A big SDE in Ash’s defense can push towards 300 and be fine. 

You’re too assumptive for your own good.

I didn’t say it would be impossible for a 300 lb guy to play SDE in Ash’s system. 
Someone with Collins’ athleticism absolutely could, not so much for Princely. He’s too stiff in the hips and would really struggle to turn the corner as a SDE at 300 LBs. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Nahlin doesn’t know shit. He looked and saw that Kane was on Ash’s first staff at Rutgers and decided to throw his name out as though he has any idea what the fuck is going on. He doesn’t know anything more than anyone else about the staff right now.

Wisconsin*

25 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re too assumptive for your own good.

I didn’t say it would be impossible for a 300 lb guy to play SDE in Ash’s system. 
Someone with Collins’ athleticism absolutely could, not so much for Princely. He’s too stiff in the hips and would really struggle to turn the corner as a SDE at 300 LBs. 

You literally used the term “need”, as in required, for a player near 300 to play 3 tech. You’re a lawyer, I know it gives you comfort to weasel around word choices, but your framing was obvious and you don’t get to attempt to walk it back. Just own the fact that there are plenty of instances in which a large man can competently play SDE in a 4-3 scheme, and they have with Ash. Whether Princely could at 295 is anyone’s guess, yours included. 

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You literally used the term “need”, as in required, for a player near 300 to play 3 tech. You’re a lawyer, I know it gives you comfort to weasel around word choices, but your framing was obvious and you don’t get to attempt to walk it back. Just own the fact that there are plenty of instances in which a large man can competently play SDE in a 4-3 scheme, and they have with Ash. Whether Princely could at 295 is anyone’s guess, yours included. 

Lulz. This is  such a weird thing for you to get hung up on, but it is a classic CTJ move. You start the pedantry and then claim others are being pedantic. 

I’m not walking anything back and my “framing” wasn’t what you’re saying. Your reading comprehension just sucks.

I was responding to a question specifically about where Princley would play, and I used the term “need” because Princely, personally, would need to move inside at that weight, because he’s already stiff and struggles some to bend the edge at his current weight.  Not because all players who are 300 LBs have to move inside. That was just your assumption that you then extrapolated into the bloviating nonsense that make up your last two posts.

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

How would you guys feel about hiring Frank Okam as a second DL coach?

Can’t we just fire our first DL coach and hire Okam?

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. This is  such a weird thing for you to get hung up on, but it is a classic CTJ move. You start the pedantry and then claim others are being pedantic. 

I’m not walking anything back and my “framing” wasn’t what you’re saying. Your reading comprehension just sucks.

I was responding to a question specifically about where Princley would play, and I used the term “need” because Princely, personally, would need to move inside at that weight, because he’s already stiff and struggles some to bend the edge at his current weight.  Not because all players who are 300 LBs have to move inside. That was just your assumption that you then extrapolated into the bloviating nonsense that make up your last two posts.

Can’t we just fire our first DL coach and hire Okam?

What kind of fuckhead has the audacity to insert a word like “pedantic” on a board like this and then accuse someone else of bloviating?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What kind of fuckhead has the audacity to insert a word like “pedantic” on a board like this and then accuse someone else of bloviating?

No, this post is classic CTJ.  When he is getting absolutely trounced, as he is in this exchange, he either runs and hides or changes the subject as he is trying to do here.  Thank goodness he has such an important job.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Wife is a die hard Baylor girl, so I end up half following the team. According to their 9.95 guys, the Collins visit went well but Princely did not. Assumption on Princely is that the wants to meet the new UT staff before making a decision, and that the visit this weekend had more to do w/ Mom wanting him to take it than him actually being interested. Baylor 9.95 guys think Collins is down to OU / Baylor, and won't decide until February.

10 minutes ago, Farkimedes said:

Wife is a die hard Baylor girl, so I end up half following the team. According to their 9.95 guys, the Collins visit went well but Princely did not. Assumption on Princely is that the wants to meet the new UT staff before making a decision, and that the visit this weekend had more to do w/ Mom wanting him to take it than him actually being interested. Baylor 9.95 guys think Collins is down to OU / Baylor, and won't decide until February.

If Collins isn’t deciding till February I like our chances. Thanks for the update.

11 minutes ago, Farkimedes said:

Good news all around then.