Jump to content
Magus Ossis

2019 Texas injury and illness

Recommended Posts

DGF — cervical spinal stenosis — OUT for season, to be re-evaluated afterwards. My guess— if he doesn’t get cleared after the season, he will either transfer or have surgery. Surgery means no spring ball, who knows after that.

Derrian Brown — “Blood clot in brain” — I never saw more specific diagnosis, but his treatment seems consistent with cerebral sinus thrombosis  — OUT for season, prognosis for 2020 cloudy but hopeful if no risk factors for recurrence are identified

Kirk — “clavicle issue” — sounds like AC sprain/separation. Days to weeks most likely.

Overshown — “midfoot sprain” — Coach Herman seems unconcerned, hopefully with reason. The classic midfoot sprain is a ligamentous  Lisfranc injury. If it is grade 1 or 2, he’ll miss some camp. Grade 3, likely done for the year. I doubt he would have been walking around if that’s what it was, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can we just go ahead and put Kirk down as out for the year after he bumps into the locker on his way to get treatment 

Edited by Sgt Hulk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Steamboat1874 said:

Who the fuck is DGF?

I hate it when people use fucking acronyms instead of typing a name or word.

So DIAF AEABOD!

De'Gabriel Floyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

De'Gabriel Floyd

Same question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

De'Gabriel Floyd

Would it have been  so hard to type that OP?

See what I did there?

I will be here all week.

Edited by Steamboat1874

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Would it have been  so hard to type that OP?

See what I did there?

I will be here all week.

That’s unfortunate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, texifornia said:

And may this thread be mercifully short

I’ve had this thought many times on Surly and the Shag. It’s yet to happen.

Let’s hope this is the one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Herman was on the Horn yesterday (I linked the interview in the fall practice thread) and was asked about the injuries. Overshown's strain was from rolling his ankle and he should be out just a couple of days.

On Kirk, his X-rays came back negative and he's getting an MRI, focusing on the region where the clavicle meets the rib cage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Herman was on the Horn yesterday (I linked the interview in the fall practice thread) and was asked about the injuries. Overshown's strain was from rolling his ankle and he should be out just a couple of days.

On Kirk, his X-rays came back negative and he's getting an MRI, focusing on the region where the clavicle meets the rib cage.

Thanks.

If Overshown has more of a true ankle sprain than a midfoot one (the direction I am led by the description you give of the interview), it is probably not a big deal-- I think everyone here has been around a few ankle sprains.

If Kirk has a sternoclavicular (SC) sprain, the timing could be similar to the much more common acromioclavicular (AC) variety-- dependent on severity of the ligamentous injury. Grade I-- maybe back in days, maybe weeks. Grade 2 -- weeks, probably at least the rest of camp. I think an Xray would have already shown something if there were a grade 3 (likely kiss the season goodbye) injury. In truth, even grade 2 might show up if the Xrays were done well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

If Kirk has a sternoclavicular (SC) sprain, the timing could be similar to the much more common acromioclavicular (AC) variety-- dependent on severity of the ligamentous injury. Grade I-- maybe back in days, maybe weeks. Grade 2 -- weeks, probably at least the rest of camp. I think an Xray would have already shown something if there were a grade 3 (likely kiss the season goodbye) injury. In truth, even grade 2 might show up if the Xrays were done well.

This sounds all made up and stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Busted! You got me.

I didn't want to say this, but I saw that episode of Grey's Anatomy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

HBO's Chernobyl miniseries recounts how Legasov explained to Gorbachev and the rest of the Communist Central Committee that irradiated graphite from the meltdown should be taken seriously because it was giving out the equivalent of four million chest x-rays, and this scared the USSR into taking the incident seriously instead of letting the meltdown continue unabated until it wiped out most of Eastern Europe.

At this moment, I am just grateful that Kirk Johnson was not the Soviet Premier at that time.  Because his response would have been, "Four million x-rays?  I call that a Tuesday.  That's it?  Ok, here's what we are going to do:  stop evacuating people and start the damn reactor again!  Four million x-rays ... why are you even wasting my time with this shit?"

Edited by longhornmatt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Floyd— OUT, no change

Brown— OUT, no change

Kirk— SC sprain, possible return sometime in September (estimated 6 weeks 8/10)

Overshown— poorly specified sprain, in boot. Maybe back soon if this is minor ankle injury versus unstable midfoot.

K Watson— leg bone contusion, in boot. Contusions (bruises) can hurt like and take as long as fractures (breaks) to recover. Some guys feel better faster and/or play through it. This can also be a catch-bucket for blunt force mechanism of injury where no further exact diagnosis jumps out. Best guess he’s back during camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 7:16 PM, longhornmatt said:

HBO's Chernobyl miniseries recounts how Legasov explained to Gorbachev and the rest of the Communist Central Committee that irradiated graphite from the meltdown should be taken seriously because it was giving out the equivalent of four million chest x-rays, and this scared the USSR into taking the incident seriously instead of letting the meltdown continue unabated until it wiped out most of Eastern Europe.

STATIONOBYL.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Kirk— SC sprain, possible return sometime in September (estimated 6 weeks 8/10)

Waiting till the Oct 5th West Virginia game (after an off week) would seem like a good target date for Kirk to return.  Eight weeks for KJ to recover, and then 8 remaining regular season B12 games  that KJ could still play in  (knock on wood).  🤘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any sort of medical explanation for why some guys are more injury prone than others?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Waiting till the Oct 5th West Virginia game (after an off week) would seem like a good target date for Kirk to return.  Eight weeks for KJ to recover, and then 8 remaining regular season B12 games  that KJ could still play in  (knock on wood).  🤘

Hopefully he can come back even sooner, because he figures to be a prominent weapon on offense. He's averaged 11 yards rushing a season during his 4 year career, that kind of production can't be easily replaced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 7:09 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

Who the fuck is DGF?

I hate it when people use fucking acronyms instead of typing a name or word.

So DIAF AEABOD!

I hate it when people call initialisms acronyms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Richter said:

Is there any sort of medical explanation for why some guys are more injury prone than others?

I forget how to say China Doll in Latin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, knowing we were thin at RB, you don’t fucking play Ingram in stupid meaningless scrimmages.  Now we’ll have Danny Young running for 2 yards a carry.  This staff can be fucking idiotic sometimes.  Hopefully it’s not too bad.  Hate to lose Sterns but our safety room is fucking stacked.  We didn’t drop a beat against UGA when he went out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

X posting since it's more relevant here. 

 

Damn... I thought we'd at least make it to the season before this shit. Herman really needs to find his balance and the right approach towards practices. I'm not going to act like I'd know what it is. Just hope both are back for LSU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Honestly, knowing we were thin at RB, you don’t fucking play Ingram in stupid meaningless scrimmages.  Now we’ll have Danny Young running for 2 yards a carry.  This staff can be fucking idiotic sometimes.  Hopefully it’s not too bad.  Hate to lose Sterns but our safety room is fucking stacked.  We didn’t drop a beat against UGA when he went out.  

You dumb.

Edited by Casual Encounter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's only August 11 - both of these dudes should be good to go by LSU but might be sitting out against La Tech as a precaution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Richter said:

Is there any sort of medical explanation for why some guys are more injury prone than others?

yeah of course there is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

It's only August 11 - both of these dudes should be good to go by LSU but might be sitting out against La Tech as a precaution.

And they can rest the following week if need be against Rice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

When did our RBs become the drummers for Spinal Tap?

Well it's almost hot enough out there for one of them to spontaneously combust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, victory88 said:

Honestly, knowing we were thin at RB, you don’t fucking play Ingram in stupid meaningless scrimmages.  Now we’ll have Danny Young running for 2 yards a carry.  This staff can be fucking idiotic sometimes.  Hopefully it’s not too bad.  Hate to lose Sterns but our safety room is fucking stacked.  We didn’t drop a beat against UGA when he went out.  

First scrimmage of fall camp isn't the time to sit young guys. Honestly it isn't the time to sit anyone, but especially because these are two sophomores we're talking about. Injuries happen. Hopefully they are indeed minor and they can both get back to practice before the opener.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, victory88 said:

Honestly, knowing we were thin at RB, you don’t fucking play Ingram in stupid meaningless scrimmages.  Now we’ll have Danny Young running for 2 yards a carry. 

 

Danny Young has averaged 4.3 ypc on 124 carries at Texas. I don't think our OL was as good in his first year as it will be this year.   He also has 14 receptions for 152 yards.

But don't let facts stop you from your vaginal whining.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

First scrimmage of fall camp isn't the time to sit young guys. Honestly it isn't the time to sit anyone, but especially because these are two sophomores we're talking about. Injuries happen. Hopefully they are indeed minor and they can both get back to practice before the opener.

Let's not forget that Sterns has already missed quite a bit of practice in his career from injury. He may be an elite talent but he still has room for development.

If he's injury-prone, then so be it, just recruit at a high level year-after-year - which is both possible and expected at Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...