I was born in the mid-80's, and I'm realizing that I'm a UT football dinosaur now

Goo Punch

12 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

How many of y'all had my shitty timing?

Read about the glory days of TX and the Cowboys.

Moved from Garland to Austin ('91) for my 1st year at UT... Cowboys get good.

Left Austin the year Ricky arrived.

Forgot to add... my high school, Garland, won 1 game my Senior year; won state 7 years later when JamesLaw was there.

So you're the one?

• Like 1

This is the natural order of things.

First you're a kid and all the players and coaches are nearly mythic figures. 

Then you're the same age as the players and you realize they're all just human beings, albeit human beings you realize you don't have a lot in common with. 

Then all of the sudden you're older than all the CFB players, and players you idolized as a young boy are retiring from the NFL. By this time, you have probably seen stuff happen that you thought would only happen in your dreams, stuff you will never forget and can't wait to tell your grandchildren about (e.g., the 2006 Rose Bowl)

Then you're older than most of the guys in the NFL too and you start noticing recruits who are the sons of guys you watched when you were a kid.

Then you're older than UT's head coach, and you've seen enough of the sport and the people that work in it and the fans on the Internet to realize maybe you don't have as much in common with the sport's values as you thought. Maybe the values have changed, maybe you just understand them better, maybe you've changed, maybe all of the above, but you start to feel like a healthy emotional boundary is more important than it was 15 years earlier.

The rest is TBD.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Then you're the same age as the players and you realize they're all just human beings, albeit human beings you realize you don't have a lot in common with. 

Then all of the sudden you're older than all the CFB players, and players you idolized as a young boy are retiring from the NFL. By this time, you have probably seen stuff happen that you thought would only happen in your dreams, stuff you will never forget and can't wait to tell your grandchildren about (e.g., the 2006 Rose Bowl)

Then you're older than most of the guys in the NFL too and you start noticing recruits who are the sons of guys you watched when you were a kid.

Then you're older than UT's head coach, and you've seen enough of the sport and the people that work in it and the fans on the Internet to realize maybe you don't have as much in common with the sport's values as you thought. Maybe the values have changed, maybe you just understand them better, maybe you've changed, maybe all of the above, but you start to feel like a healthy emotional boundary is more important than it was 15 years earlier.

The rest is TBD.

In other words:  you grow up

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

The rest is TBD.

Reminds me of a story. About 10 years ago, I was speaking with a young guy who went to Georgia. We start talking football and he says that Georgia hasn't had a good kicker in ages. I said, "Who was that guy who kicked a 60 yarder to beat Clemson? Butler maybe?" He goes, "That doesn't sound familiar. There is a punter named Drew Butler on the team now. Wait a minute. That was his dad, Kevin Butler!" I go, "Nevermind, I'm done with this conversation." Sucks getting old. Some things that don't seem so long ago were decades back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i don't follow a ton of UT stuff on social media, and in fact i really only use instagram, but i'm coming to realize that guys like Roy Williams, Derrick Johnson, Quentin Jammer, and Nathan Vasher are to today's generation what Rosie Leaks and Mossy Cade and Jerry Gray were to me. heard of em, but don't really know shit about them, and certainly didn't watch them play. 

basically the furthest back you'll see any of these social media accounts go is the 2008 RRS, and that includes during this last month of summer where every day has been a countdown to the start of the season using highlights of former players according to their jersey number. for example today marks four days until kickoff, and while that makes me automatically go to The Legend, the video they used was Kenny Vaccarro. two days ago they did 10 different slides of the #6 and the furthest back they went was Quandre Diggs. and then when you go into the comments and they debate on who is the best to ever wear a certain number, nobody has ever heard of or seen a Nathan Vasher or a Shaun Rogers play football. so this begs the question- when did I get so old and out of touch? are all of my heroes really the new Jim Bertelsen's and Jerry Sisemore's of Texas football?

Which one of these guys raped his aunt?

/ducks

19 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

How many of y'all had my shitty timing?

Read about the glory days of TX and the Cowboys.

Moved from Garland to Austin ('91) for my 1st year at UT... Cowboys get good.

Left Austin the year Ricky arrived.

Forgot to add... my high school, Garland, won 1 game my Senior year; won state 7 years later when JamesLaw was there.

My 4 years as an undergrad (85-89): 0-8 vs OU and aggy, 1 bowl win...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

I was friends with many of the players from that era. Sometimes, I'll bring them up in conversation. Wasted breath. They can't even get free tickets to games any more.

34 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

I recall those years quite unfondly as I had made a decision to be a Longhorn very early in life.  (Only one in my family at the time.)  Watched every game.  First game in person my Senior year of high school was the Miami Cotton Bowl game.

11 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not sure what’s worse, being Rex Kramer or being confused for Rex Kramer. Other than being a Sooner or an Aggie, I’m not sure there is a worse fate on this fucking planet. 

how about being rex kramer and being so ashamed of it that you make a new handle, only you still post/whine exactly like rex kramer and maintain all of your same personal beefs and posting habits from shaggy so that everyone knows its you anyway. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

how about being rex kramer and being so ashamed of it that you make a new handle, only you still post/whine exactly like rex kramer and maintain all of your same personal beefs and posting habits from shaggy so that everyone knows its you anyway. 

So why did you change from "Derka"?

10 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

So why did you change from "Derka"?

Because one of the losers who is obsessed with me (probably one of the people derailing this very thread, oblivious to the fact that the majority of people who are responding *aren't* obsessively freaking out over the OP but rather replying to it and keeping it going) ran over here as soon as the site was founded, registered the name "Derka", and then started posting here pretending to be me. another example of why @markstanco is completely fucking retarded for suggesting that this pathetic crew will go away if i don't respond to them. i don't even post on the same forums/encounter these people 99% of the time i post, but their obsession with me remains as strong as ever. 

fact: the only people in this thread who are doing anything worth complaining about are the ones obsessing over me, making the thread about me, and giving me this attention that i apparently crave. yeah, as if i *want* all of these fucking losers in here talking shit and derailing my threads. just an astounding lack of self awareness from these people. 1 out of every 1000 posts i make is on the football board, and while the other 999 go completely unnoticed by these people, the one time in a thousand that i do post here they all come running like dogs at supper time, foaming at the mouth to whine about *nothing*. they should be embarrassed at their obsession and how completely nonsensical their entire premise is, but again, that would require even an ounce of self awareness, which none of these people have.

• Like 1

Because one of the losers who is obsessed with me (probably one of the people derailing this very thread, oblivious to the fact that the majority of people who are responding *aren't* obsessively freaking out over the OP but rather replying to it and keeping it going) ran over here as soon as the site was founded, registered the name "Derka", and then started posting here pretending to be me. another example of why [mention=1619]markstanco[/mention] is completely fucking retarded for suggesting that this pathetic crew will go away if i don't respond to them. i don't even post on the same forums/encounter these people 99% of the time i post, but their obsession with me remains as strong as ever. 
fact: the only people in this thread who are doing anything worth complaining about are the ones obsessing over me, making the thread about me, and giving me this attention that i apparently crave. yeah, as if i *want* all of these fucking losers in here talking shit and derailing my threads. just an astounding lack of self awareness from these people. 1 out of every 1000 posts i make is on the football board, and while the other 999 go completely unnoticed by these people, the one time in a thousand that i do post here they all come running like dogs at supper time, foaming at the mouth to whine about *nothing*. they should be embarrassed at their obsession and how completely nonsensical their entire premise is, but again, that would require even an ounce of self awareness, which none of these people have.
So you are done with posts on the football board?

14 minutes ago, markstanco said:
2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:
Because one of the losers who is obsessed with me (probably one of the people derailing this very thread, oblivious to the fact that the majority of people who are responding *aren't* obsessively freaking out over the OP but rather replying to it and keeping it going) ran over here as soon as the site was founded, registered the name "Derka", and then started posting here pretending to be me. another example of why [mention=1619]markstanco[/mention] is completely fucking retarded for suggesting that this pathetic crew will go away if i don't respond to them. i don't even post on the same forums/encounter these people 99% of the time i post, but their obsession with me remains as strong as ever. 

Read more  

So you are done with posts on the football board?

i apologize for saying that you were a retard for saying what you said, but i'm just so beyond sick of people telling me this. the scale of this problem is bigger than you understand. the sheer number of people who, again, i almost never even cross paths with, still harbor this obsession with making huge deals out of every post they see me make- its asinine.

but no, of course i'm not going essentially ban myself from an entire forum because other people who can't control themselves act like childish twats every time they see me, completely tone deaf to their own involvement in ruining the thread, or to the fact that they are the ones start long and creating 100% of the drama. 

Edited by Goo Punch

seriously stanko- look around at this thread- the majority of people responding are sticking to the OP. most of the people here had zero issue with the OP and were more than happy to contribute to it. if the mods came in and deleted every post making a huge deal about me, what you'd be left with is a totally fucking normal football thread. I continue to be absolutely astonished at the collective tone-deafness of this group. They and they alone have a)given me attention, and b)derailed the thread. How none of them can look around go, "gee, kinda seems like a whole bunch of people are enjoying this thread for what it is, maybe i didn't need to be such a dramatic twat just because i don't like the OP" is beyond me. their dramatics are the most ironic thing in this site. 

Yes, but the thread subject is not. Nothing about the OP merited this response, there are just certain people (and yes Dr.Beeper is Rex Kramer, the biggest repeat offender) who cannot help themselves but to make it all about me when it really isn't. the five people who pos repped the OP would never have done so if the thread were about me, which it clearly is not.
the lamest part of this routine by far is how the same cast of characters derail these threads time and time again by doing the very thing that they are supposedly complaining about, oblivious to how stupid that is, and never taking a second to realize that not everyone else in here wanted or needed this thread to become another bitch fest about the latest innocuous thing that i did. pointing this out never seems to deter them.
2fa4017dda6c1352fb5ce9070fcd3043.gif
  • Like 2

The rest is TBD.
Bla bla bla bla bla, a lot of letters and it's all mindless drivel. Whoop eh aggy.

Interesting that you were a baby goat at one time though.

e4535c7770d63c3a513e1443c0232632.gif

On 8/27/2019 at 8:07 PM, Blotto said:

Having attended during the McWilliams & Macovic era, once Mack Brown got it rolling I was a little bitter that my time on the 40 was likely the low point in modern Texas football.  10 win seasons were the norm and I wouldn't have guessed it could ever get as bad as the early-mid 90's. Then post-Colt Mack and Strong rallied with their own "hold my beer" efforts. Don't fuck this up Tom.

My first experience with Texas football was when I was in high school in the mid 90s. My FFA advisor, some classmates, and I drove my dad’s pickup and trailer to Colorado Springs to pick up our fruit, which for whatever reason wasn’t delivered to our hometown. The only radio station we could get on the way home was playing (I believe) a Texas/Nebraska game. I think it was a 3rd and short or 4th and short, and you guys went for it with an unusual play. Made it, and the radio announcers went on and on and on about it. 

I had no idea that 25 years later I would become internet friends with all you degenerates. 

I agree that people gang up on Derka, and I agree that Derka is annoying and completely unlikable.

As an experiment, sign up with a new name. I predict you’ll be outed as yourself within a week.

Just because they’re after you, don’t mean you’re not paranoid.

11 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I was there from 84-89, so the OU/aggy record was:  0-9-1   Still only 1 bowl win and an absolute embarrassing ass kicking from Iowa.

That moonson ‘84 game in the Cotton Bowl was my Sr year in high school and started what will be a 36-year streak this October, assuming cirrhosis doesn’t put me down before then.

Our time on the 40 also included a bowl loss to a service academy in Rice Stadium. I lost my wallet during that game, and later that night got a car door slammed on my hand at the Yucatán Liquor Stand.  Good times....

• Like 1