2020 Coaching Staff

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

1 minute ago, Stampeder said:

At least he's being pursued for a promotion.  No clue if this would impact Bijan, but hopefully he'd view it as a positive for Texas/Drayton.  Hopefully TH has a contingency plan in place and that position coach along with Yurcich are in Tucson the day the dead period ends.  Not that any of these position coach hires would reinforce there's a plan and we're going to act swiftly.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So there's a decent chance that three years in, Giles is the only remaining member of Herman's original staff.  It needed to happen, but yikes.

I'm hoping it's just exploring options while angling on a bump in salary.  We need some continuity on staff.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

TIL there’s a city called Truth or Consequences, NM. 

What the fuck?

only 2 good things have come out of New Mexico - green chilies and Colt McCoy

had a few other players from NM that did well for us...

Edited by Rimbo

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Brian has more thoughts on the matter:

Tell us more, worthless contributor making 65k a year in a dying industry, one that is nothing like the changing landscape and flush with cash world of college football. 

maybe next he’ll tell us all how  to properly execute the proper merger and acquisition of two Fortune 500 companies, or how to build or own log cabin from the ground up. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is going to be a really big next four days. I can feel it.

If all roles aren't filled by Monday, I'm sending in a strongly worded letter. If they're not filled by Wednesday, I plan on taking my fury out on SydneyCarton with a thorough beating about the head and shoulders. If they're not filled by Friday, I am driving to Austin with Sydney's body in the trunk and then catapulting his limp, decomposing, lifeless body over the walls of Belmont as an opening salvo for a "fans vs the man" all out war. 

On what day do you finally jump?

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Should be noted that if Drayton leaves for the Cowboys and current Cowboys RB coach Gary Brown becomes available - we could hire Brown as RB coach here at Texas as he has successfully fulfilled the 'coached at Rutgers' portion of the applicant requirements.

nice

If all roles aren't filled by Monday, I'm sending in a strongly worded letter. If they're not filled by Wednesday, I plan on taking my fury out on SydneyCarton with a thorough beating about the head and shoulders. If they're not filled by Friday, I am driving to Austin with Sydney's body in the trunk and then catapulting his limp, decomposing, lifeless body over the walls of Belmont as an opening salvo for a "fans vs the man" all out war. 
I'm kinda hoping for a road trip...

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Tell us more, worthless contributor making 65k a year in a dying industry, one that is nothing like the changing landscape and flush with cash world of college football.

I've finally found the level of condescension that makes me sympathies with the AAS Longhorn beat reporters.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Wouldn't schools always have to pay buyouts when hiring guys under contract elsewhere?  I guess there could be provisions for promotions but that's obviously not what is happening here.

Easy, just add "co-passing game coordinator" or "associate head coach" to his title.  Ask wickline how easy these things are.   

Also, it seems in the past it was rare for position coaches to get more than a  year by year contract.  Maybe he does,maybe they are waiting for that contract to expire before hiring people.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Don’t forget to bring your copy of degüello

3 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Easy, just add "co-passing game coordinator" or "associate head coach" to his title.  Ask wickline how easy these things are.   

Also, it seems in the past it was rare for position coaches to get more than a  year by year contract.  Maybe he does,maybe they are waiting for that contract to expire before hiring people.

Jones signed a 4 year deal with Kansas - first 2yrs gauaranteed and the last two a Kansas option:

Terms of Jones’ deal

The day after Eliot signed on with KU, Emmett Jones became the fifth official hire for Miles’ first staff.

While Jones’ term sheet is for four seasons, Kansas Athletics holds options on each of the final two years, for the 2021 and 2022 seasons.

KU must exercise its option on Jones’ third year of the deal by Dec. 15, 2020, and the fourth by Dec. 15, 2021.

With a $225,000 base salary in all four years, Jones’ deal also includes “personal service” payments of $15,000 in each of the guaranteed years. That figure increases to $25,000 for both year three and four.

A full, four-year stay at KU would pay Jones $980,000 over the course of his deal. The two guaranteed years will pay him $480,000.

According to USA Today, Jones made $200,000 in 2018 at Texas Tech, during his third season as the outside receivers coach for the Red Raiders.

If an FBS program wanted to hire Jones to become its head coach while Jones remained under contract with KU, no money would be owed.

But if Jones were to leave KU for any other coaching position at any point between now and Dec. 15, 2020, Kansas Athletics would be owed $225,000.

If KU exercised its option on the deal for the 2021 season, and Jones left for a nonhead-coaching job before Dec. 15, 2021, the buyout would be $168,750.

Should the deal reach the 2022 season through KU exercising its options and Jones left for a nonhead-coaching role before Dec. 15, 2022, the figure owed to Kansas Athletics would drop to $112,500.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

This is the most reasonable post you’ve made.  Keep us posted as things develop.  

Some notes from 247's chat

ChipBrown247 avatar
easttexasman02 said... (original post)is Drayton for sure staying, rumors of NFL teams looking at him

show more
I’m hearing he plans to stay. ( But until that Cowboys RB coach job is filled ... )

ChipBrown247 avatar
siredwardnigma said... (original post)Any word on who is going to coach Special Teams yet?

show more
Probably whole staff

ChipBrown247 avatar
stevekap said... (original post)Will Joshua Moore play for Texas again?

show more
That’s the plan

ChipBrown247 avatar
ktbulls3 said... (original post)Timeline for a Wr coach hire?

show more
Hopefully by Monday

ChipBrown247 avatar
BevoXXX said... (original post)Remind me again the subject re: Washington? Not Marcus

show more
I was responding to Q about Jason Washington

ChipBrown247 avatar
hornybob said... (original post)We've been led to be excited about Herman hires before and those we were supposed to be excited about crashed and burned resulting in our curr...

show more
Hey, I’m never gonna tell someone how they should or shouldn’t feel!!! 

ChipBrown247 avatar
KPendleton said... (original post)Is Okam still an option for DT coach?

show more
Possibly

ChipBrown247
hookem230 said... (original post)Have they talked to either Samples, E. Jones, or the U of H WR coach?

show more
I think there’s been some feeling out with Jones and Carrier. Not Samples from what I’m hearing at this point.

Jeff Howe

show more
I think you’ll hear something in terms of movement on that front in the next 24-48 hours.

Jeff Howe avatar
hookem230 said... (original post)Have they talked to either Samples, E. Jones, or the U of H WR coach?

show more
I’ve heard Herman has talked to Jones and Carrier.

Jeff Howe avatar
Hookem35 said... (original post)Jeff, I just read on Twitter something about Herman is not fired up and may pass on Emmett Jones due to his $235,000 buyout at Kansas. Have you hea...

show more
“Not fired up” or “may pass” aren’t terms I’ve heard used.

ChipBrown247
Hasmith9 said... (original post)Is Tosh still an option?

show more
As of now yes

Jeff Howe avatar
Hookem35 said... (original post)Thanks, I hope you’re right.

show more
I’m by no means not knocking Brian’s report, FWIW. I’m just under the impression that this thing is pretty far down the road and Jones has been Herman’s No. 1 guy. If the hire can deliver what I think it will in recruiting and player development, $225K plus a new salary for Jones isn’t worth letting that slip away.

29 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Should be noted that if Drayton leaves for the Cowboys and current Cowboys RB coach Gary Brown becomes available - we could hire Brown as RB coach here at Texas as he has successfully fulfilled the 'coached at Rutgers' portion of the applicant requirements.

The Run and Shoot Oilers era Gary Brown?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Some notes from 247's chat

ChipBrown247 avatar
easttexasman02 said... (original post)is Drayton for sure staying, rumors of NFL teams looking at him

show more
I’m hearing he plans to stay. ( But until that Cowboys RB coach job is filled ... )

ChipBrown247 avatar
siredwardnigma said... (original post)Any word on who is going to coach Special Teams yet?

show more
Probably whole staff

ChipBrown247 avatar
stevekap said... (original post)Will Joshua Moore play for Texas again?

show more
That’s the plan

ChipBrown247 avatar

show more
Hopefully by Monday

ChipBrown247 avatar
BevoXXX said... (original post)Remind me again the subject re: Washington? Not Marcus

show more
I was responding to Q about Jason Washington

ChipBrown247 avatar
hornybob said... (original post)We've been led to be excited about Herman hires before and those we were supposed to be excited about crashed and burned resulting in our curr...

show more
Hey, I’m never gonna tell someone how they should or shouldn’t feel!!! 

ChipBrown247 avatar
KPendleton said... (original post)Is Okam still an option for DT coach?

show more
Possibly

ChipBrown247

show more
I think there’s been some feeling out with Jones and Carrier. Not Samples from what I’m hearing at this point.

Jeff Howe

show more
I think you’ll hear something in terms of movement on that front in the next 24-48 hours.

Jeff Howe avatar

show more
I’ve heard Herman has talked to Jones and Carrier.

Jeff Howe avatar
Hookem35 said... (original post)Jeff, I just read on Twitter something about Herman is not fired up and may pass on Emmett Jones due to his $235,000 buyout at Kansas. Have you hea...

show more
“Not fired up” or “may pass” aren’t terms I’ve heard used.

ChipBrown247
Hasmith9 said... (original post)Is Tosh still an option?

show more
As of now yes

Jeff Howe avatar
Hookem35 said... (original post)Thanks, I hope you’re right.

show more
I’m by no means not knocking Brian’s report, FWIW. I’m just under the impression that this thing is pretty far down the road and Jones has been Herman’s No. 1 guy. If the hire can deliver what I think it will in recruiting and player development, $225K plus a new salary for Jones isn’t worth letting that slip away.

Well if (big fucking if) we're really knocking these hires out over the weekend I won't be too annoyed.

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

ChipBrown247 avatar

show more
Probably whole staff

if this happens, i feel like there's a better use of @SydneyCarton's decaying corpse. we put it him in chip's trunk and wait until chip's passed out drunk and drag him out to the body and wrap his hands around sydney's neck. then drag him back inside and onto his couch.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well if (big fucking if) we're really knocking these hires out over the weekend I won't be too annoyed.

It seems realistic to me that for some reason (probably not a good one), we really didn’t get moving on position coaches until about 5 days ago. That seems a lot more plausible than Ash and Herman “vetting” candidates for the last 4 weeks.

Position coaches don’t take long to hire, so if the staff is finally moving on this, it’s very likely we’ll know most, if not all, of the position coaches by Monday. 

Edited by Burt Macklin