Tac Oh Hell

RPM

Months after some Taco Bell locations were hit by a tortilla shortage, now some consumers are asking where's the beef?

The company said in a news release Monday that on Friday it "took immediate action and voluntarily recalled approximately 2.3 million pounds of seasoned beef from its restaurants and distribution centers."

The beef was removed and discarded in restaurants in "21 states across the eastern Midwest, northern Southeast and Northeast regions," the company said.

On Monday, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service announced some of Taco Bell's seasoned beef products sent to restaurants nationwide have been recalled because they "may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically metal shavings."

The beef is used in tacos and burritos and came in cases containing eight five-pound plastic bags.

There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products, according to the USDA.

According to Taco Bell, the product was produced at one plant location on only one of the two lines used to make seasoned beef and was sent to distribution centers in Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio and Virginia.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2019/10/14/taco-bell-recall-seasoned-beef-metal-shavings/3982004002/

I now have a 16 year old son who drives.  His biggest celebration of his newfound freedom?  On Friday after school, he and the boys go to Taco Bell to load up on $1 burritos.  He is impervious to their brutality.

The other night, spurred on by his culinary choices, I picked up a variety of items for myself.  They were just as sadly tasty as I remembered.  And I was able to weather the storm unharmed.  No metal shavings, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On the way back from the Carolina coast last weekend, family is hungry. On one side of the street? "Texas Steakhouse and Cantina". On the other side? "Taco Bell".

While I was mildly curious, there was no way I was risking my cultural sensibilities in a place claiming to be a Texas steakhouse in the land of vinegar drenched pork. And a crunch wrap works pretty well as a one-handed meal when you're on the road, anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Our family rule is not to eat Mexican food outside of Texas, that includes Mexico.

We're friends with a former UT baseball player -- truly great guy, but not terribly adventurous in dining.  He sticks with what he knows.  He ate mexican food in Edinburgh...yeah, the one with the h at the end, not Edinburg, TX.  We still give him hell about that.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We're friends with a former UT baseball player -- truly great guy, but not terribly adventurous in dining.  He sticks with what he knows.  He ate mexican food in Edinburgh...yeah, the one with the h at the end, not Edinburg, TX.  We still give him hell about that.

I used to spend a lot of time working in Europe.  For one trip, I had been in Nantes, France for a couple of months, and my local French field service guy had been begging me to come try this Tex-Mex place he thought I'd like.  Like I said, it had been a couple months, and I was homesick for Tex-Mex, so I broke the rule and went.

Good Lord, it was horribad.  The French love to eat their steaks rare-- really, really rare-- and so I guess they thought this extended to skirt steak as well.  I can tell you that the chewy, bloody fajitas were actually the best thing I had that day

I got dragged to a tex mex place in Berlin once under protest. Someone ordered queso that was the worst junior high football concession stand nacho cheese you've ever had. I ordered a burger.

Does raise an interesting question: what food have you had in an "off" context that was the worst?

For me, it was spaghetti in Mexico City. They put a million tiny slices of deli ham on top of it. I mean, like, sandwich ham, not even just cubed salt pork, which (while still wrong) would have at least made some kind of sense.

13 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
57 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I got dragged to a tex mex place in Berlin once under protest. Someone ordered queso that was the worst junior high football concession stand nacho cheese you've ever had. I ordered a burger.

In Berlin a few years ago, ended up talking with a couple of guys selling handmade jewelry (actually, some really nice well-done stuff) on the street. I recognized their accent, and started speaking spanish to them.  Turned out they were both from Mexico, and I laughed about mexicans in Berlin.  They laughed too, but explained that there were now enough that there's a real mexican place in town -- makes its own tortillas and everything.  They were really excited.

And two summers ago, my daughter ate at a mexican place in Berlin -- she explained that it wasn't tex-mex, it was real mex, and it actually wasn't bad.  Berlin's become an eclectic enough town where you can get a lot of stuff there.

I just steer clear of stuff the locals won't know how to do.  Life's better that way.

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I just steer clear of stuff the locals won't know how to do.  Life's better that way.

In Scotland, that would include 'anything edible'.

(Dang it; I was hunting for the Kyle Maclachlan appearance on 'All Things Scottish' from SNL but couldn't find it.)

"Da, the entirety of Scottish cuisine was made on a dare!"

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

In Berlin a few years ago, ended up talking with a couple of guys selling handmade jewelry (actually, some really nice well-done stuff) on the street. I recognized their accent, and started speaking spanish to them.  Turned out they were both from Mexico, and I laughed about mexicans in Berlin.  They laughed too, but explained that there were now enough that there's a real mexican place in town -- makes its own tortillas and everything.  They were really excited.

And two summers ago, my daughter ate at a mexican place in Berlin -- she explained that it wasn't tex-mex, it was real mex, and it actually wasn't bad.  Berlin's become an eclectic enough town where you can get a lot of stuff there.

Why not?  Family of Berliners just moved to and opened a restaurant in Frisco.  Not bad.  Not too bad at all.  Younger kids have to translate the menu if you have questions.  Oma (cook) came out one day.  As wide as she was tall.  Sweet old lady.  Not a lick of English.  Overheard her story to a group that she was exposed to the US via a cruise her kids booked for her.  Granted, my palate is not all that sophisticated to German/Austrian food outside of Octoberfest in the Hill Country, but the kids love it and it's always packed and the beer selection is great.  

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I visit the wife's (no pics) family in Scotland every couple of years.  One night out in Glasgow, we're looking for a chip shop open late. Ask a group of hipster-types on the street, and one lassie says "I don't ken, but there's a burrito stand nearby."  No, thanks.

5 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

In Scotland, that would include 'anything edible'.

(Dang it; I was hunting for the Kyle Maclachlan appearance on 'All Things Scottish' from SNL but couldn't find it.)

Yer off yer haid, ye wee scunner.

Haggis is legit.

Black pudding ain't bad either.

Neeps and taters-- meh.

• Like 1

I fancy the chalupas. That bread is heaven, shit's like a greasy fried pita but a bit more flaky. I used to go a couple times a month in the mid/late 20s, then I hit about 29 and just stopped, I've been maybe twice a year for the past couple years. Like y'all I guess I just get a hankerin' every once in a while.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I hit Taco Smell about once every two years when I get a hankering for an enchirito.

Is the enchirito still available?

Oh, and I ate Taco Bell on Saturday.  And it was glorious.

Edited by Sbbruin

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Is the enchirito still available?

Oh, and I ate Taco Bell on Saturday.  And it was glorious.

Yeah, it's an "off the menu" item.  I was able to get it the last time I dared to enter a Taco Hell, which was about a year ago.  It might not be available at every location, though.  Here's an article about it.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/enchirito_n_572b9b47e4b016f378951849?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAMF2tCUrL_1upneov_4IO_sNgbnX_7NU5NkmjkUmxnwsmhmOVC73LdUOuw0Hd3nRT0b0IouL1bB_1CKOATGzyq-jGQHrS8zC9uKi9NPajX_OIs27EHjnaYr6Xk4sKtVi7PKLiImjjBPmMgICmTcvA8q-B260pC7fOMxiD2GkeKV4

The Estrellas claim they were charged $12.18 for two Chalupa Cravings boxes, despite a commercial advertising the product for just $5 each, NJ.com reports. When the couple questioned management about $2.18 price disparity, they were reportedly told the commercial carried a "prices may vary" disclaimer.

According to the lawsuit, the Estrellas “sustained an ascertainable loss, in the form of time wasted driving to the subject Taco Bell, the gasoline expended to drive their vehicle to the subject Taco Bell, and in the amount of $2.18, which is the difference between what they should have been charged ($10 before taxes) and what they were charged ($12.18 before taxes).”

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/taco-bell-sued-chalupa-pricing

i-want-my-2-plus-tip-5897625.png

Edited by elfenix

On 10/15/2019 at 2:57 PM, RPM said:

Band name

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

"What is 'going down on Hope Solo like', Alex."

I clearly didn't think about what that sounded like, before I posted.

At the same time, there's a sort of freedom, a kind of deliverance, yes, perhaps even a certain salvation-- in telling the truth exactly as it is.

On 10/15/2019 at 5:07 AM, Iceman said:

I kind of just accept the risk when I go in there once a year to remind myself how shitty it is.

I little trauma in the mouth and ass is to be expected, right?

Metal shavings?

No additional fiber is really needed to produce the ubiquitous TB shits.

On 10/15/2019 at 12:54 PM, Brisketexan said:

I had a Margarita in the Royal Princess Victoria Pub in Shepherd’s Bush, London to go with my fish & chips.

Fight me.

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2019 at 12:54 PM, Brisketexan said:

I did the same in Aberdeen.  It was about as vile as you could imagine.

• 1 year later...

(allegedly) The bell on top of the Taco Bell located at Guadalupe and 20th Street was cut down and relocated from its perch under the arch on top of the building one evening in the spring of 1984 by some poster on this board and a few of his fellow Plan II Honors cohorts.

• Hook 'Em 2