Serious question. Why are people Cowboys fans?

Aqua Buddha

I should have quit the Cowboys when JJ forced Jimmy out and hired Barry. It foreshadowed the last 25 years of shit.

yep. I blame myself for that. But I do follow other teams as well so it’s not as tragic for me as it might be for some. Gotta have more teams to watch. A painful lesson but one that needs to be learned. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

I should have quit the Cowboys when JJ forced Jimmy out and hired Barry. It foreshadowed the last 25 years of shit.
yep. I blame myself for that. But I do follow other teams as well so it’s not as tragic for me as it might be for some. Gotta have more teams to watch. A painful lesson but one that needs to be learned. 

Jerry didnt force Jimmy out because he wanted to force Jimmy out. It was because Jimmy hated Switzer. And for jerry to force Jimmy out, the one thing he had to do was tell Jimmy he was gonna hire Switzer. If he didnt, he couldnt hire Switzer, plain and simple.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

Jerry didnt force Jimmy out because he wanted to force Jimmy out. It was because Jimmy hated Switzer. And for jerry to force Jimmy out, the one thing he had to do was tell Jimmy he was gonna hire Switzer. If he didnt, he couldnt hire Switzer, plain and simple.

Where did this appear? What I know from being in DFW at the time is that Jerry walked up to Jimmy and his staff after the Super Bowl win and they all giggled as he approached. Jerry was offended and said any of 500 coaches could win a championship. He felt he was not getting enough credit and fired Jimmy. So he took over and the Cowboys suck ever since that day as soon as Jimmy's players were gone. Barry was an FU to Texas fans since Jerry is Arkie and all. That is when I stopped loving the Boyz the way I love my Horns. It will take someone new before the Cowboys are ever restored or maybe it is to late and they are now the Lions.

17 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Where did this appear? What I know from being in DFW at the time is that Jerry walked up to Jimmy and his staff after the Super Bowl win and they all giggled as he approached. Jerry was offended and said any of 500 coaches could win a championship. He felt he was not getting enough credit and fired Jimmy. So he took over and the Cowboys suck ever since that day as soon as Jimmy's players were gone. Barry was an FU to Texas fans since Jerry is Arkie and all. That is when I stopped loving the Boyz the way I love my Horns. It will take someone new before the Cowboys are ever restored or maybe it is to late and they are now the Lions.

That's my memory. Jerry wasn't getting he credit and felt Jimmy disrespected him, so he fire him. He picked Barry primarily because Jimmy disliked him. 

2 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

That's my memory. Jerry wasn't getting he credit and felt Jimmy disrespected him, so he fire him. He picked Barry primarily because Jimmy disliked him. 

JJ wanted more control of personnel decisions and Jimmy didn’t want that. JJ thought Jimmy was disloyal Bc he expresses Interest in the media about the Jags HC job. By 1995,  33 of Jimmys players weren’t on the team anymore

Growing up in Va. the Redskins ruled.  I wasn't much of a fan because they were so obnoxious about how great the skins were, and I liked Fran Tarkenton, and Johnny Unitas. 

Then I heard the Cowboys Walt Garrison was a rodeo rider in the off season.  That did it for me, I was 9 or 10. That was the early 70's, and I was in love with the Cowboys from that day on. I was crushed the day they lost to the Steelers the first time. I was a die hard Cowboys fan until Jerry took over. It's been a loss of love since that day.  Thank god for college football.

I barely paid attention to the game last night. I knew they'd fuck it up, and lose to the Eagles (the only team I've hated as much as the Redskins, and Steelers).

FUCK the Cowboys while Jones owns that franchise, and ruins it with his narcissistic destruction of one of the greatest football franchises in NFL history.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 3

The NFL sucks, I root for players I like. I like Zeke, he's probably my favorite running back in the league. Sucks he's on a suck ass team.

I actually love Deshaun Watson and Hopkins, so I try and root for the Texans too. 

Maybe that makes me a homer.

There's some teams I hate (Patriots, Titans, Rams) for other reasons than the players.

I think I'm gonna root for the Vegas Raiders because I'm a fan of Chucky. 

Anyway, why do you care why people are fans?

7 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I honestly don’t give a flying fuck about the semantics. You said that you think it’s funny that people think that Jerry fired Tom Landry lol. He DID, in fact, fire Tom landry. That is a fact. It is an irrefutable fact. What are we even talking about lol. When you add what I quoted in bold in my last post, it changes the entire context of what you said. I get what you’re saying...now. But that’s not what you said in your original post when you referenced this situation. Just admit that you worded it poorly and we can move on. We’re bogging down this thread.

Yeah the semantics don't matter. The point is that there are like 9000 other reasons to hate and bag on JJ. Firing Tom Landry, however it happened, probably isn't one of them.

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

I think the Cowboys long benefited from the ubiquitous TV coverage they enjoyed in the 70's and 80's that most franchises did not.  Much like the Braves on TBS, the Bulls on WGN, the Fighting Irish on NBC.  But unlike those teams, the Cowboys opted to not win games over the last several decades.  

Having said that, picking on people for being Cowboys fans is a strange gambit.  It's the NFL that is a complete and total waste of time and money.  People will bitch and moan about too many college football bowl games and then will watch some obscure Falcons/Jets game on PPV because they need to check in with their 2nd team TE for their fantasy football league team.  

Cheering for the Cowboys is much like staying with your political party or organize religion of choice...it's stays with us largely because of our childhood.  But we believed in those things because we were children.  And back in our naive childhood is where all that bullshit belongs.  

Yep.  I was a big Braves fan in the 80's because of TBS even tough they sucked most of that decade too.

8 hours ago, kopp0e said:

For me, my dad grew up raising me as a Dallas Cowboys fan during the Aikman dynasty...
(I'm a dog wagging his tail to the trash at this point with Garret as head coach, boom-bam)

So the beat goes on, regardless of how bad the team seems to falter at different points...

That dog and guy singing are what makes the interwebz allsome. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markstanco said:
10 hours ago, Armybrat said:
I ceased being a Cowboys fan when that carpetbagging Arkansas yayhoo Jerrah treated the venerated Tom Landry like shit.

Perhaps you should do some research on tex schramm.

Yeah, screw him too. He didn’t have the balls to do it himself before said Arkansas trash took over. Bum lived up to his name.

I think the more relevant question is why do fans of other teams feel the need to check in on the cowboys every time they play and lose and post memes and talk shit to cowboys fans on social media?  Why do y’all care so much?  We cowboys fans know we suck, and have an awful owner.  But we aren’t going out of our way to point out every time the saints, giants, texans, redskins, eagles, etc shit the bed.  

• Like 1

I’m with Armybrat and Twicehorn on this. I would ask how any UT alum/fan not from the greater Dallas area could ever root for a team once coached by Barry Switzer. I was a huge Cowboy fan growing up and through the mid 80’s. Now I hope they lose every game by 40 points. When JJ goes I might reassess and root for the Cowboys as a matter of state pride.

I really miss watching and rooting for Staubach, Pearson, Garrison, Hill, Too Tall, Lilly, Hays, etc. And I never missed The Tom Landry show hosted by Glieber. The good old days.

Edit: How could I leave off Randy White. He was a total badass.

• Like 2

I long ago stopped questioning anyone's fandom. It's sports, do whatever helps you enjoy it.

It does irk me that the spacing of Cowboys best runs (70s and then 90s) means I will live my whole life surrounded by tons of people who just swear that multiple Dallas Super Bowls in a short time is the natural order of the universe. Basically anyone 35+ is conditioned to think the star on the helmet means another trophy is just around the corner because that happened when they were little.

A more interesting question would be how can any one be a Cleveland Browns fan.
My boss is from the area so it’s understandable. But man are they a clusterfuck.
I think the more relevant question is why do fans of other teams feel the need to check in on the cowboys every time they play and lose and post memes and talk shit to cowboys fans on social media?  Why do y’all care so much?  We cowboys fans know we suck, and have an awful owner.  But we aren’t going out of our way to point out every time the saints, giants, texans, redskins, eagles, etc shit the bed.  

It’s because most cowboys fans are unbearable assholes when it comes to football. They are as bad as fucking aggy when it comes to bragging about made up bullshit stats, wins, losses, next year, what ifs, the refs fucked us, dez caught it, and any other dumb shit they can think of. It’s an absolute beating to talk to most of those mouth breathers about football, particularly if the cowboys win a couple of games in a row.
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I ceased being a Cowboys fan when that carpetbagging Arkansas yayhoo Jerrah treated the venerated Tom Landry like shit.

Sometimes karmic retribution takes time. But when it happens, it comes with interest. Skeletor will meet his demise before the Cowboys will win another Super Bowl.

I'm a Cowboy fan because I'm pretty much 100% loyal to all my teams, alma mater, etc...  As much as I hated seeing what happened to Landry and, as much as I hate what has happened the last 20 years, I absolutely refuse to bandwagon off to another team.  Sure, the aforementioned issues suck, but are you really going to live 60, 70, 80+ years and judge a team on a firing in 1990? 

The only thing that would give me second thoughts would be a Baylor-esque scandal.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

The same reason that I am a TX Rangers fan. I was born into it. I didn't stop being a fan of Dallas area teams when I lived somewhere else. 

I think the OP is about why someone from elsewhere would be a fan.  I've got a good buddy up here in Iowa who told me straight out that when he was in first grade he liked the Cowboys colors / unis and that was it, that's how he picked the Cowboys.  We're in our mid forties now and he's as passionate as ever about the Cowboys.

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

My boss is from the area so it’s understandable. But man are they a clusterfuck.

It’s because most cowboys fans are unbearable assholes when it comes to football. They are as bad as fucking aggy when it comes to bragging about made up bullshit stats, wins, losses, next year, what ifs, the refs fucked us, dez caught it, and any other dumb shit they can think of. It’s an absolute beating to talk to most of those mouth breathers about football, particularly if the cowboys win a couple of games in a row.

I’d say those fans are the minority.  Maybe you need better friends who aren’t assholes.  I feel like my Sunday’s are dejavue of my Saturday’s watching the longhorns play.  My wife asks me why I put myself through it.  It’s because I’m a fan, and I’ll root for my team regardless of whether they suck or not.  OTOH, I could just switch my allegiance and be a patriots and bama fan. 

2 hours ago, Cody2422 said:

It’s because a percentage of cowboys fans are ridiculous. And because we have such a large fan base, that percentage is louder than the average fan base and their percentage of unbearable fans. Especially when you can go to any city in America and find cowboys fans.

And now more than ever before, cowboys fans get extra defensive, and they’ll gloat at the first sign of anything positive. I’ve always been too pessimistic of a cowboys fan to go down that road. I was just young enough to miss the early 90s cowboys, so I’ve been drowning in a sea of mediocrity for too long to ever think about going down that road lol

Edited by youdunnf'dup

17 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm a Cowboy fan because I'm pretty much 100% loyal to all my teams, alma mater, etc...  As much as I hated seeing what happened to Landry and, as much as I hate what has happened the last 20 years, I absolutely refuse to bandwagon off to another team.  Sure, the aforementioned issues suck, but are you really going to live 60, 70, 80+ years and judge a team on a firing in 1990? 

The only thing that would give me second thoughts would be a Baylor-esque scandal.   

Thing is though, why so loyal to the Cowboys?  Did you go to Dallas Cowboy U?  Dallas Cowboy HS?  

NFL loyalties strike me as arbitrary at best.

As a kid, maybe before free agency or before free agency became so mercenary, you had players that were mostly lifetime Cowboys (see post 68 plus Newhouse, Dorsett and many others) that were figures in the community.  Of course, I wasn't a cynical bastard as a little kid, but then again the NFL wasn't completely full of cynical bastards either.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Thing is though, why so loyal to the Cowboys?  Did you go to Dallas Cowboy U?  Dallas Cowboy HS?  

As a kid, maybe before free agency or before free agency became so mercenary, you had players that were mostly lifetime Cowboys (see post 68 plus Newhouse, Dorsett and many others) that were figures in the community.  Of course, I wasn't a cynical bastard as a little kid, but then again the NFL wasn't completely full of cynical bastards either.

I guess my thing is, I don’t see how you can be a fan of a team for your entire life, and then just stop being a fan of them. I know Jerry is a joke. But even if I wanted to “quit” the cowboys, I can’t just watch football and not root for the cowboys. I could be less invested, but I can’t just jump ship to a new team, or stop caring all together. I don’t understand how people can do that.

• Like 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

My father was a sports editor for the FW Star.  He and his family began attending games in the Cotton Bowl as soon as the team was created.  When I was really young, we'd travel far enough out of the city to watch games that were blacked out.  Starting at age 1 day, some form (radio, tv) of every Cowboy game has been on.  Hell, I remember my father, brothers, and I sneaking out of a wedding in 1989 to listen to a game during the 1-15 season.  It's a little more ingrained in my DNA than just picking a team because I grew up in DFW.  

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I guess my thing is, I don’t see how you can be a fan of a team for your entire life, and then just stop being a fan of them. I know Jerry is a joke. But even if I wanted to “quit” the cowboys, I can’t just watch football and not root for the cowboys. I could be less invested, but I can’t just jump ship to a new team, or stop caring all together. I don’t understand how people can do that.

Agree.  Only thing that came close was rooting for the Titans during the Vince years.  I still rooted for the Cowboys head-to-head, though.

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

A lot of that has to do with demographics and life scenarios.  Many people in our generation (I'm 39) are either first or second generation college grads.  My mom didn't finish college, my Dad went to school in the NE.  I'm from Dallas.  I grew up watching the Cowboys.  I lived in Southern NJ for 10 years.  Guess how many Texas Collegiate (I'm talking any Texas teams) Football games were on?  Not many.  But I could watch 13-16 Cowboys games per year just because they were a powerhouse, and played against the teams from that area.  There's lots of reasons why, these are just a few examples.  

I blame Jerry Jones for pulling back the curtains and showing me how the circus works. He ruined a lot of the magic.

I'm 48. My dad was a Cowboys fan, and introduced me to it. I never knew any different - win or lose.

When Landry got fired, it was tough, but justified. Dallas held on too long to too many past-their-prime stars that were only nostalgic names taking up roster spaces. Jerry brought in Jimmy, dumped those names for draft picks, and put the team into purgatory until those picks paid off. It was ugly, but the results spoke for themselves.

What the results said was that Jimmy was a football genius. Jerry wanted them to say that he alone was a great football man. When there weren't enough pats on his narrow back, he cut Jimmy loose.

Jerry turned the Cowboys into an investment vehicle. He doesn't mind overpaying for stars, to the detriment of the team, so long as the jersey sells. He showed me the reality of the NFL being a bunch of contractors collaborating for their own purposes. It may be the truth, but it came from him. I'll always blame him for it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

I blame Jerry Jones for pulling back the curtains and showing me how the circus works. He ruined a lot of the magic.

I'm 48. My dad was a Cowboys fan, and introduced me to it. I never knew any different - win or lose.

When Landry got fired, it was tough, but justified. Dallas held on too long to too many past-their-prime stars that were only nostalgic names taking up roster spaces. Jerry brought in Jimmy, dumped those names for draft picks, and put the team into purgatory until those picks paid off. It was ugly, but the results spoke for themselves.

What the results said was that Jimmy was a football genius. Jerry wanted them to say that he alone was a great football man. When there weren't enough pats on his narrow back, he cut Jimmy loose.

Jerry turned the Cowboys into an investment vehicle. He doesn't mind overpaying for stars, to the detriment of the team, so long as the jersey sells. He showed me the reality of the NFL being a bunch of contractors collaborating for their own purposes. It may be the truth, but it came from him. I'll always blame him for it.

Lots of truthiness here.

I think the early dynastic Cowboy teams were further removed from the avarice that permeates the modern NFL.

11 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

A more interesting question would be how can any one be a Cleveland Browns fan.

TL;DR: I don't now, you can leave, and fuck Art Modell.

I can't tell you why some remain, but I can tell you why I used to be one before letting go:

Browns fandom was bred into me in my case, and its roots were planed deep.  I grew up in Northeast Ohio in a diehard Browns family. Isn't most fandom born of the teams where you're living when you gain sports consciousness?  My dad and grandad were around for the great teams and players of the 40s-60s, and they took my brother and I to games back when season tickets were affordable for the middle class (those are great memories), and I came of sports age during the mid-80s when they were good.  They were always in the playoffs and usually seasons ended with gutpunches, but I bled orange and brown.  My family moved to DFW in 1992, and I tried rooting for the Cowboys (plastered my room with Cowboys posters and felt a thrill when they won in 1992), but I still found myself first opening the Sports page on Mondays to see what the Browns did the day before.  Then the ultimate gutpunch came when Modell announced the move in 1995.  The team had Ozzie Newsome in place and two first round picks in 1996 (who Newsome turned into Johnathan Ogden and Ray Lewis).  The NFL to a large degree died for me in 1995.  I tried following the NewCo Browns when they returned in 1999, more out of habit than any real zeal, but it felt "off" even before the team started losing.  The twenty-year  clown show of utter incompetence and ineptitude that followed slowly killed what remained my NFL fandom. 

Fandom is a strange thing. For some, it's something you choose and can be freely exchanged with no loss of enthusiasm.  They're just as excited when the new team wins as when the previous one did.  I envy those people.  Maybe it was the memories of my dad and grandad at Cleveland Stadium when I was a kid.  Maybe it's some warped sense of loyalty that I possess.  I don't know.  Fandom is by its nature "fanatical" and not real life.  If my wife cheated on me and ran off with someone else, I'd be hurt but I wouldn't give up women.  No, I'd heal and start pounding trim again.  Same would apply for jobs and friendships but it hasn't for pro football.  At least not for me.  I tried out various teams after the Browns left: the Cowboys, the Packers, a cousin in Seattle tried to recruit me to the Seahawks. Others have said Steelers aren't that far from Ohio, but nope that hate was bred into me. Wasn't going to bandwagon with the Patriots.  The Ravens? Fuck that.  It all felt forced and fake.  The casual interest I give the NFL these days (not that they care) is mainly a function of keeping track of my fantasy teams, and I'll usually tune in to playoff games if we're home and I have nothing else to do that afternoon.  I might have missed the rituals that were my childhood Sundays, but college football has filled that void and then some.  I'll record and watch at least five CFB games every Saturday (thank you YouTubeTV unlimited DVR).  A top 10 matchup is appointment viewing for me.  Random top 25 games and even unranked rivalry matchups interest me infinitely more than any NFL game. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dutch said:

The casual interest I give the NFL these days (not that they care) is mainly a function of keeping track of my fantasy teams, and I'll usually tune in to playoff games if we're home and I have nothing else to do that afternoon.  I might have missed the rituals that were my childhood Sundays, but college football has filled that void and then some.

My brother still wants to watch a Cowboy game uninterrupted. He refuses to watch with me at Thanksgiving since I may at times have a player on the opposing team. I will root for the Cowboys to win but not at the expense of my FFL player. Drives him nuts because he is still a die hard fan, I lost that after JJ hired Barry. Thank god for the nice run our Longhorn's had in the 2000's.

3 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Jerry turned the Cowboys into an investment vehicle. 

This.

All those Sunday afternoons at Texas Stadium when I was a kid are ingrained into my soul.

I'm still a Cowboys fan, I just openly root for the Giants, Redskins, and Eagles.

I want Jerry Jones to hurt.  He needs punishment.

Edited by BearSchlong

I quit caring about pro football when the Oilers left town right after I graduated high school.  I go to a lot of Texans games.  Because I live relatively close plus have a hookup for free parking right by the door and a suite with free booze and food.  So it is fun to go and take family and friends.  But I doubt I ever go to another game once that hookup is gone.  It is so nice to go to a game and not give a fuck if the team wins or loses and just enjoy it.  It does not bother me like an Astros or Longhorns loss (though as I age, those losses bother me less and less).

It is still a great product.  But I wonder how much of the audience is due to fantasy football, daily fantasy and gambling?

Edited by Johnny Sack

I have been a Cowboys fan since I started liking football. I remember TD getting drafted by Dallas and I loved everything about the Cowboys.  In my mom's family, there's God, family and then Tom Landry.  To this day i feel no coach is more underappreciated for the differences he made in the game that we take for granted now.

When Jerrah fired him, a good 50% of my family if not more vowed, "Fuck you.  You don't treat good people that way."  I didn't like it, but thought it was what Jones had to do.  I stayed with the Cowboys. Then the 2 SBs happened and the star was never brighter for the team until, well, ya know Jones showed his ass to the world in hiring barry Switzer.  yep, you showed ole Jimmy, didn't ya...and shitcanned one of the most marvelous waves of momentum any franchise in sports has ever seen.

I disliked Jerry for that, but still respected his business side of things.  Never wavered on supporting the Cowboys.

Until last season when Garrett wasn't fired.  This season has been everything many of us thought it'd be.  i won't root AGAINST Dallas, but I am no longer rooting for them.  Jerry has lost me with his bullshit, some of which many other people tired long ago.  I feel like I stuck with my team through thick and thin. Enough is enough.  i am done with the blind allegiance.

As for geography?  I hate the Mavs, meh on the Rangers. Love the Stars, but get frustrated with Benn and Seguin being "The Man."  having lived in the Houston metro for 16 years, I absolutely fucking hate the Texans, their front office, and CBob.  I hate this iteration of the Rockets ever since they signed Hardin.  I will never like the dude.  I love the Astros, and have since childhood.  I miss the Aeros.

i don't really follow a lot of teams in pro sports beyond Dallas  and the Astros.  I have enjoyed Lamar Jackson and how much ass he has kicked this season. I will always pull for Patrick Mahomes III.  It's way more about individual players for now.  I also like watching how different coaches scheme like Belichick, but also Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, and Payton.  

In the end, I never was that mouthy, PITA Cowboys fan that makes Cowboy fan easy to hate.  As it is now, I don't have the stomach for being a quiet one either.

Fuck you Jerry.  You win...and you fucking lose, you sorry piece of shit.

Edited by Iceman