Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

21 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Now I'm reading about possible bringing Gary Kubiak in to be game day coach while Jason sticks around to handle all other facets of day to day management. . .

Could you imagine being head coach of the Cowboys and being demoted to a different role within the same organization?

I don't believe in any way that this rumor is valid, but if it was...talk about completely missing the point of why Garrett needs to be fired.

The game day decisions are not why Dallas is 8-8. It's because the coach accepts and tolerates mediocrity, and because his message has grown stale and is no longer heard during the week. 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason will be "promoted" to puppet GM. He can then pretend that he has satisfied the critics by hiring a GM (and being intentionally or unintentionally oblivious to everyone knowing that it's complete horseshit). I honestly get the feeling ginger doesn't really care to coach and feels it's just what he's supposed to be doing. He looks miserable on the sideline and does nothing but clap (never talks on the headset, never seems to be looking at any play sheets, doesn't really talk to players other than an occasional butt slap). He says almost nothing in press conferences. I think he would be comfortable with a fancy title while continuing to have Jerry's hand up his ass and doing as Jerry directs.

Edited by 'stache

No reason to get my skivvies in a wad. 
the solution is to allow the HC complete autonomy. Absolute control. Final say.

jerruh won’t allow this to happen. Yes he did hire Parcells which ultimately got fucked by bringing in the likes of TO whom Parcells did not want. Many felt Jerruh was never serious about Parcells but needed a coach of that stature for new stadium etc...but who cares why Parcells was hired? Bc Jerry would not allow him the type of control that Bellichick has and other good head coaches around the league have. 

whether JG stays on as HC (please God no) or JG stays on within the organization as a faux GM or whatever it will never matter who the new HC is because he will not have the complete power to hire the coaches and coordinates he wants and bring in the personnel he wants.

Greg Hardy anyone? That was probably one of the few times we could see JG try to buck Jerruh. JG didn’t not want. Didn’t matter. Jerruh brought Greg in the fold anyway. 

fuck it. It’s depressing. More depressing than the past decade of watching Texas underachieve. Because as long as JJ is alive it won’t matter if it’s Riley, Rhule, Meyer, Turner, McCarthy, blah blah blah. It won’t matter

troy was 100% right in the article I posted above. It’s the same reason Troy said he wouldn’t consider the GM role in a previous article from the site. JJ needs to let the football people be in control and he ain’t going to do that. 

PS even if JG did have complete control he still wouldn’t get it done. He needs to goooooooooo.

25 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

No reason to get my skivvies in a wad. 
the solution is to allow the HC complete autonomy. Absolute control. Final say.

jerruh won’t allow this to happen. Yes he did hire Parcells which ultimately got fucked by bringing in the likes of TO whom Parcells did not want. Many felt Jerruh was never serious about Parcells but needed a coach of that stature for new stadium etc...but who cares why Parcells was hired? Bc Jerry would not allow him the type of control that Bellichick has and other good head coaches around the league have. 

whether JG stays on as HC (please God no) or JG stays on within the organization as a faux GM or whatever it will never matter who the new HC is because he will not have the complete power to hire the coaches and coordinates he wants and bring in the personnel he wants.

Greg Hardy anyone? That was probably one of the few times we could see JG try to buck Jerruh. JG didn’t not want. Didn’t matter. Jerruh brought Greg in the fold anyway. 

fuck it. It’s depressing. More depressing than the past decade of watching Texas underachieve. Because as long as JJ is alive it won’t matter if it’s Riley, Rhule, Meyer, Turner, McCarthy, blah blah blah. It won’t matter

troy was 100% right in the article I posted above. It’s the same reason Troy said he wouldn’t consider the GM role in a previous article from the site. JJ needs to let the football people be in control and he ain’t going to do that. 

PS even if JG did have complete control he still wouldn’t get it done. He needs to goooooooooo.

Pics of wadded up skivvies?

Also, according to JJ, Garrett is in high demand. Why drag this out and allow your admittedly close friend lose out on interviews and opportunities? Why not it him loose to go coach wherever it is JG is highly sought after? None of this shit makes any sense. 
 I get JJ knew Garrett’s dad. Blah blah blah and has been dealing with him for the better part of 26 years in a professional capacity and a coach in training and coach in waiting and now a HC for a fucking decade. It’s over. For fucks sake!!!! 
Lol. Skivvies in a wad. 

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Also, according to JJ, Garrett is in high demand. Why drag this out and allow your admittedly close friend lose out on interviews and opportunities? Why not it him loose to go coach wherever it is JG is highly sought after? None of this shit makes any sense. 
 I get JJ knew Garrett’s dad. Blah blah blah and has been dealing with him for the better part of 26 years in a professional capacity and a coach in training and coach in waiting and now a HC for a fucking decade. It’s over. For fucks sake!!!! 
Lol. Skivvies in a wad. 

Nothing is over until Jerry wakes up from a hangover, has a few drinks to nudge senility aside for a few minutes, and then decides what he thinks this hour.

Then has a few more drinks.  Rinse and repeat.

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

Now I'm reading about possible bringing Gary Kubiak in to be game day coach while Jason sticks around to handle all other facets of day to day management. . .

Could you imagine being head coach of the Cowboys and being demoted to a different role within the same organization?

I think Garret should just announce "I'm done, Jerry. I'll do your job for you. I'm going to coach a different team."

I've read articles where Jerry doesnt want to give up the "capital" investment hes made in Garrett. Like he's a peice of property or a stock share. There's a weird codependent dynamic at play. Awkward.

They both need this book.3cbf15b2eeae461c3453afe7ac622065.jpg

the capital investment angle is likely what Jerry is pumping but what that really is code for is that Jerry wants Garrett to win a Super Bowl so that he can get ALL the credit for moulding the coach, the staff, and building the team.  therefore he can say he could have coached them to the SB it is just that he needed to attend to other things.

He has wanted this since the day Jimmy walked out the door.  He hired Parcells to get the stadium.  Garrett is only tied to Jerry, no one else.  Payton would have been tied to Parcells. It is whey we got Gailey and Campo after Switzer.  they weren't tied to anyone.  even switzer wasn't tied to the NFL but no one gave him credit either.

This is all about Jerry wanting people to say HE won the Super Bowl(even if he wasn't a coach or player) and has been forever.

There are tons of great coaches who would love a chance to coach the Cowboys but not with Jerry around.  Hell even Parcells did it knowing that Jerry was an egomaniac.  of course it only lasted 4 years .  Phillips had been a decent head coach but Jerry would have gotten all the credit if he could have won with phillips.

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Also, wasn’t Wade Phillips the coach when we were closing out Texas stadium and going into the new stadium?

Yes, but the argument is that Jerry hired Parcells to appease the fans and secure the funding for the stadium, not that he wanted Parcells to be the coach when it opened.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Lol. Skivvies in a wad. 

This is what bothers me. All jokes aside, Jerruh clearly has some affinity for Garrett. So why let him twist in the wind all week? It makes me think that Jerruh really is considering keeping him and/or Garrett is begging for his job and making headway. Fuck.

I think JJ offered him another role in the org. Garrett had to think about it for a day or two. He only had two options, stay with the Boys, or move somewhere else and become a HC. I could see some colleges being interested. I suppose he could take a salary hit to stay home and get out of the rat race (coaching) where his kids can grow up (if that's the case). So at this point, he's probably said okay to Jones. Now Jones has to break the news to someone else that they've been fired or that they've lost part of their job responsibilities. This is taking an extra day. My two cents anyhow

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/1/2/21045114/five-late-game-sequences-that-doomed-the-2019-cowboys

If you really want to piss yourself off trying to figure out how the fuck this season turned out the way that it did, read this article. Even if you don’t read the whole article, just read up until they get to the table that they stole from the athletic lol. It’s pretty fucking astonishing, but Jason Garrett, every other year this team shits the bed because we can’t handle success, and the beat goes on. 

10 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I think JJ offered him another role in the org. Garrett had to think about it for a day or two. He only had two options, stay with the Boys, or move somewhere else and become a HC. I could see some colleges being interested. I suppose he could take a salary hit to stay home and get out of the rat race (coaching) where his kids can grow up (if that's the case). So at this point, he's probably said okay to Jones. Now Jones has to break the news to someone else that they've been fired or that they've lost part of their job responsibilities. This is taking an extra day. My two cents anyhow

Jason and his wife don't have kids.

I bolded what I thought was going to happen from the beginning. I'm pretty sure Jason won't be HC moving forward but I think he'll have a role in management if he wants it.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/1/2/21047039/talks-continues-to-touch-on-idea-of-jason-garrett-staying-with-the-cowboys-in-some-capacity-in-2020

The Dallas Cowboys are taking their time figuring out how to handle Jason Garrett; what they’re going to do could involve a number of things. We’ve talked about a number of theories here at BTB and one of them might be both the most difficult and easy to believe at the same time.

We know that Jerry Jones is the general manager of the Cowboys and has no plans to change that now, if ever. If you thought differently, consider what NFL Network’s Jane Slater noted on Thursday.

While the idea of general manager Jason Garrett is definitely far-fetched, we still could be looking at a world that keeps him around the team in some other sort of capacity. What kind? We can only guess.

But consider that these rumblings are coming from reliable reports like Slater, and as recently as Thursday morning, ESPN’s Adam Schefter. In appearing on GetUp, Schefter noted that there is a “remote” possibility that Garrett stays as the team’s head coach but that the organization could find a way to keep him in the “family.”

Adam Schefter: You have to understand that the Joneses run the Cowboys like a family organization. They are a family organization. And Jason Garrett is a part of the family. And because he’s a part of the family, it’s hard to take him out of the family. This has gone on for so long, you wonder if they’re going to carve out a role for him to stay within the family somehow. I don’t think anybody believes that he’s staying on as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

Mike Greenberg: That’s the important piece that I want to get here. The fact that this is taking as long, or as comparatively long, as it is, does not mean in your mind that there is a significant chance he comes back as head coach?

Adam Schefter: I was told there is a remote chance of that happening. Remote. So it’s not out of the question, you never know. But it’s not likely. It’s not the expected outcome. But I guess it can’t be completely dismissed.

It looks like we have a lot more waiting to do before we get an answer and that means there is only time to speculate and guess. One of these theories has to be correct... right?!

37 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yes, but the argument is that Jerry hired Parcells to appease the fans and secure the funding for the stadium, not that he wanted Parcells to be the coach when it opened.

Jerry does not and never has given a single fuck about what might "appease" a fan base. And the fan base had nothing to do with the new stadium. It was the City of Arlington dropping to its knees and taking every inch 'ol Jerry had to give in tax incentives and parking revenue agreements.

14 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Ginger doesn't have kids....

8 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/1/2/21045114/five-late-game-sequences-that-doomed-the-2019-cowboys

If you really want to piss yourself off trying to figure out how the fuck this season turned out the way that it did, read this article. Even if you don’t read the whole article, just read up until they get to the table that they stole from the athletic lol. It’s pretty fucking astonishing, but Jason Garrett, every other year this team shits the bed because we can’t handle success, and the beat goes on. 

I really hate the suggestion that the Cowboys were "just a handful of plays" away.

• It diminishes the  impacts of the toxic culture that results when the head coach can't or won't demand excellence and accountability.
  • It's a case of examining the symptoms instead of the illness. Dallas didn't lose the Jets game because they couldn't execute on that last drive. They lost the Jets game because they came out completely flat and disinterested, and maybe also because they still hadn't cut a kicker that should have been off the roster LAST YEAR.
  • The guy starts to touch on his briefly a few times, but special teams beyond Maher were also atrocious, and this team gave up mounds of hidden yardage all season long.

Instead of asking why they failed in all these end game scenarios, they should ask why was Dallas constantly in the backseat late in games. This bullshit attitude about "god damnit, we were so close" is never going to fix this cesspool.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Jerry does not and never has given a single fuck about what might "appease" a fan base. And the fan base had nothing to do with the new stadium. It was the City of Arlington dropping to its knees and taking every inch 'ol Jerry had to give in tax incentives and parking revenue agreements.

Maybe so, but the voters in Arlington are the fans I am referring to.  They very much had something to do with the stadium.

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Ginger doesn't have kids....

Yeah, I didn't know. That's why I said "if that's the case". That's a bit strange for someone so high in the social hierarchy with a bunch of money.? Just saying.

Then Garrett has just had it with coaching. Jones probably wants Garrett in his outer office with a desk a little nicer than his secretary's - where he can watch both of them through a glass wall.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

9 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Maybe so, but the voters in Arlington are the fans I am referring to.  They very much had something to do with the stadium.

They were going to vote for whatever Jerry wanted. That's what they do. Again, I'm not getting how Parcells had anything to do with influencing that vote. 

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

They were going to vote for whatever Jerry wanted. That's what they do. Again, I'm not getting how Parcells had anything to do with influencing that vote. 

The final vote was 55% to 45%....it wasn't a slam dunk at the time so not sure why you keep saying this.

The most Jerry way to do this is to have a reality show to find the new coach. Resurrect the 4th and Long model. 

"This March get ready for the hottest new reality show in years. 20 of the best high school and college coaches from around the country will compete to see who will become the next puppet head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. When the pressure is on, and the chips are down, find out who be making the call when it's...

"4th and 1!"

Hosted by Michael Irvin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1