BigOrange1

Killers of the Flower Moon - Scorsese, Dicaprio, De Niro - 2021 release

Killers of the Flower Moon will be based on the book Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI, the third non-fiction book by American journalist David Grann. The book investigates a series of murders of wealthy Osage people that took place in Osage County, Oklahoma in the early 1920s-after big oil deposits were discovered beneath their land. This sparks a major F.B.I. investigation involving J. Edgar Hoover.

https://movieweb.com/killers-of-the-flower-moon-leonardo-dicaprio-robert-de-niro/

Edited by BigOrange1

Pumped for this.  I'm reading the book right now. It's really good.

They are getting ready to start filming this just northwest of Tulsa in Osage County.

And no; Leo isn't playing J. Edgar. He's playing the husband of one of the wealthy Osage Native Americans.

Book is great.  I got pumped when Leo mentioned it was his next project on WTF last week.

One of the weird coincidences I noticed reading the book...

The first murders that are talked about in the book take place in May 1921.  That's the same month the Greenwood Massacre (depicted in HBO's Watchmen) happens in Tulsa.  Weird.

On 1/20/2020 at 5:49 PM, TheStoicPaisano said:

Fucking hell, I imagine this means another delay for The Devil in the White City.

Ha yeah probably.

Ironically, there is a reference to H.H. Holmes in Killers of the Flower Moon.

And I'm now about 150 pages in and I'll say if you're interested in this film and you liked Devil in the White City, you should definitely read this book.  It's fantastic. 

The story is pretty damn incredible... there are tons of interesting characters and I can't wait to see how Scorcese puts them on the screen.

23 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Ha yeah probably.

Ironically, there is a reference to H.H. Holmes in Killers of the Flower Moon.

And I'm now about 150 pages in and I'll say if you're interested in this film and you liked Devil in the White City, you should definitely read this book.  It's fantastic. 

The story is pretty damn incredible... there are tons of interesting characters and I can't wait to see how Scorcese puts them on the screen.

All of this.  

I listened to the book on tape on a road trip a few months ago. Phenomenal. The last scene, and last line in particular, delivered an emotional gut punch I haven't felt in a while.

So DeNiro is playing William Hale? Hard for me to picture DeNiro as a Texas cattleman.

Fucking hell, I imagine this means another delay for The Devil in the White City.

For the 4th time, this.  The okie tale looks damned interesting too, but I've been waiting too long for Devil in the White City.  Fuck

On 1/26/2020 at 2:44 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

For the 4th time, this.  The okie tale looks damned interesting too, but I've been waiting too long for Devil in the White City.  Fuck

I said it earlier, but worth repeating: if you liked Devil in the White City, you should read Killers of the Flower Moon.   

It doesn't have as much broad history stuff as Devil in the White City, but it's chocked full of interesting characters from turn-of-the-century Oklahoma and Texas -- oil men, moonshiners, Texas Rangers, Pinkerton detectives, etc.; not to mention J. Edgar Hoover and interesting stuff about early FBI crime investigation methods, etc. 

It also has some of the same themes as Devil in the White City with the old world/old West clashing with new world/new technology.  It's really, really good.

That is some really fine country up in those parts.  Beautiful place.  

Yes it is. The only place in Oklahoma that I like. Used to do business as a market analyst with some real estate people in Tulsa and out East to Talequah and Lake Tenkiller area. Beautiful trees and lakes up in there /csb.  

Will definitely check out that movie and this devil in the white city book you guys are touting

On 1/28/2020 at 8:25 AM, Mileslong said:

Yes it is. The only place in Oklahoma that I like. Used to do business as a market analyst with some real estate people in Tulsa and out East to Talequah and Lake Tenkiller area. Beautiful trees and lakes up in there /csb.  

Will definitely check out that movie and this devil in the white city book you guys are touting

Eastern Oklahoma is beautiful.... lots of trees, lakes, rolling hills, etc. People who think of Oklahoma as all wheat fields, open prairie and red dirt are often surprised when they visit the Tulsa area.

Southeastern Oklahoma is even more so with the Ouachita Mountains.  

As for the Killers of the Flower Moon, I just got to the part where we find out who is behind the murders and.... WOW.

Spoiler

I thought Hale might be involved somehow as I was reading, but HOLY SHIT.  Dude was like a Bond villian with his plan. DAYUM.

you guys inspired me to pick up the book and i have finished the first part - the marked woman and this shit is wild.  i don't really read many books, but this one is definitely a good read.

On 1/20/2020 at 1:55 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

And no; Leo isn't playing J. Edgar. He's playing the husband of one of the wealthy Osage Native Americans.

you sure he isn't gonna play tom white?  that's who i had him pegged for when reading the book.

the book is great, flew right threw it.  people have been shitty to each other for a really long time. 

...and i have now started this book thanks to this thread.

On 2/13/2020 at 7:42 PM, BigOrange1 said:

you sure he isn't gonna play tom white?  that's who i had him pegged for when reading the book.

the book is great, flew right threw it.  people have been shitty to each other for a really long time. 

Was just going off IMDB.... it initially had Leo playing Burkhart and DeNiro playing Hale... looks like it's gone now though so maybe you're right.... 

That neck of the woods has quite a history. Lump in the Killers of the Flower Moon along with The Mullendore murder at the Cross Bell Ranch and it makes for some very interesting goings on.  Good land, oil and money makes for greed and murder.