Killers of the Flower Moon - Scorsese, Dicaprio, De Niro - 10.20.2023 release

BigOrange1

the AppleTV logo scared me lol. i feel like i've been waiting for this one for at least two years...very excited!

i also saw Brendan Fraser in there...happy for him, seems to be experiencing a career renaissance.

so DiCaprio's upcoming roles include Burkhart (this one), Teddy Roosevelt, Jim Jones, Leonardo da Vinci, and Ulysses S. Grant.

he should really start trying some meatier roles 😄

so now we wait for Florida and Texas to ban the movie, right? 🙄😜

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

the AppleTV logo scared me lol. i feel like i've been waiting for this one for at least two years...very excited!

i also saw Brendan Fraser in there...happy for him, seems to be experiencing a career renaissance.

so DiCaprio's upcoming roles include Burkhart (this one), Teddy Roosevelt, Jim Jones, Leonardo da Vinci, and Ulysses S. Grant.

he should really start trying some meatier roles 😄

would you call it, a brennaissance?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've only read the first chapter, guess I need to get on reading the rest before this comes out. I know most of the underlying history, it's been part of my work for 15 years now, although this particular tribe's story is deeper and more horrifying than some of the other tribes in this area. 

Edited by 'stache

It’s been a few years. Does the book ever explain how many mineral acres a “headright” is? I know Mollie Burkhart owned 4 headrights which put her in William Hale’s crosshairs. 

If I remember correctly from my Okie days each headright is an equal percentage the royalties from the total oil produced on tribal lands. They can’t be sold, only inherited to keep them under Osage control. So the worth of a headright is dependent on yearly production not set acreage.
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, mchookem said:

oh wow.

didn't Dune 2 release get pushed from November to March or something bc of the strikes? isn't that likely to happen to all these, especially the big name films? 🤔

They pushed Dune 2 because the actors couldn’t do the promotion for it. Not sure why this is different. Maybe it’s because it’s Scorsese and they probably don’t tell him what to do.

On 5/19/2023 at 12:14 AM, UTexasFight said:

I’m going to have to go back and re-read the book again it’s been so damned long.

This thread turned me on to all of this… but that’s been over 3 years ago now.

can’t wait for october

Ha ha- this was me too. This thread prompted me to read the book.  On a side note, DiCaprio also bought the film rights to “Devil in the white city”. Whatever happened to that one?

3 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

On a side note, DiCaprio also bought the film rights to “Devil in the white city”. Whatever happened to that one?

i also read that for the first time a few years ago... it's been shopped around a lot as a mini-series, with Keanu Reeves, Todd Field, and Tom Cruise all tied to it at some point in the past. Hulu bailed on it. this was the most recent info i found.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/devil-in-the-white-city-series-dead-hulu-1235544498/

seems like it could be a hell of a story if done right, and a number of those names likely would have done so. not sure what the problem is. 🤔 

• Like 1

Absolutely amazing book. I read it this past summer. I had never heard of any of that until my wife told me to read it after her she read it for her book club.

This, along with the Tulsa massacre and all the lynchings going on back then, should be an entire unit in every HS US history class.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

• BigOrange1 changed the title to Killers of the Flower Moon - Scorsese, Dicaprio, De Niro - 10.20.2023 release
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2023 at 11:19 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

Absolutely amazing book. I read it this past summer. I had never heard of any of that until my wife told me to read it after her she read it for her book club.

This, along with the Tulsa massacre and all the lynchings going on back then, should be an entire unit in every HS US history class.

And yet I was 5 years past my required OK history class before learning of Greenwood and black Wall St.  Improper subject matter for those 13 yo minds apparently.