Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

1 hour ago, Mikey4 said:

I bet he got a ton of pressure from Herman to tweet SOMETHING about football, so CDC spent 45 minutes writing and rewriting a tweet to sound vaguely positive without offering too much support.

"If you'll get out of my office and stop crying, I'll tweet something."

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The UT System Board of Regents is scheduled to approve a new deal that stretches out to 2027 and worth just over $18 million guaranteed. The new deal also includes the equivalent of buyout clause, because Fenves told the American-Statesman, “I want to make sure that he stays here for a long time.”

Del Conte’s new deal starts at $2,080,000 annually for the 2020 fiscal year and escalates to $2,455,000 by 2027.

https://www.hookem.com/story/20191112/texas-reward-ad-chris-del-conte-18-million-package-contract-extension-2027/#:~:text=%2FAMERICAN-STATESMAN]-,Del Conte's new deal starts at %242%2C080%2C000 annually for the,at %242 million in 2024.

I think we may have a systemic problem here.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

No one overpays for mediocrity quite like us. 

And no, hiring good women basketball coaches doesn't really matter when the sport everyone cares about fucking sucks. His extension that didn't lower the buyout and giving Herman a chance to reset his staff are huge blunders. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I saw something from a credible source that indicated that Fenves was responsible for Herman's extension, also.

In a way, I could see that as Fenves got dragged into some fairly nasty shit and him thinking "I don't want to have to deal with this again."

30 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

And no, hiring good women basketball coaches doesn't really matter when the sport everyone cares about fucking sucks. His extension that didn't lower the buyout and giving Herman a chance to reset his staff are huge blunders. 

It matters.  What he does with every coaching vacancy matters.  And it shows a tendency to go out there and surprise the fuck out of everyone with solid, actually fanfuckingtastic hires.

Our football program is its own fucking mess.  Three times now, we've had coaching "vacancies" at less than optimal times as far as "available" talent.  Patterson and Powers fucked the moose on Charlie.  BMD fucked the moose on Herman.

And now we're going to excoriate the AD for failing to bring a guy out of retirement?

Get a grip.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

No one overpays for mediocrity quite like us. 

This. Not sure if this is CDC’s doing, but I am doubting his ability to lead.

Timing is everything, you fucking dimwitted asshats, and more goes into determining that than your impatience and the recruiting cycle.  If you don't think CDC is aware of the importance of making a transition in a timely manner than you are dumber than you already appear to be.  When it is possible to make a change that has a high probability of producing long term success, then he will make it.  Let the man do his fucking job.     

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Timing is everything, you fucking dimwitted asshats, and more goes into determining that than your impatience and the recruiting cycle.  If you don't think CDC is aware of the importance of making a transition in a timely manner than you are dumber than you already appear to be.  When it is possible to make a change that has a high probability of producing long term success, then he will make it.  Let the man do his fucking job.     

*then

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

This, but don't fuck up.

45 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

counterpoint: he gave herman a new contract after season 2 where he didn't win the conference, then let him completely rebuild his staff after a disastrous season 3. that was him 'doing his job', and they were horrendous mistakes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

counterpoint: he gave herman a new contract after season 2 where he didn't win the conference, then let him completely rebuild his staff after a disastrous season 3. that was him 'doing his job', and they were horrendous mistakes.

As mentioned upthread, I saw something credible recently, outlining Herman's history, that said Fenves insisted on extending Herman.

And that's consistent with his extending DelConte and his comments.

Having to get on a plane to woo Gilbert and his associate probably scarred Fenves for life.  I can see him thus wanting to insure no more coaching change chaos for the duration of his reign.

Given the size of the buyout, now, and worse a year ago, the coaching shuffle was a reasonable alternative.

Edited by TwiceHorn

CDC extended Tom. Rumor is that the president may have done it, but that's a new rumor and I'm not sure why we trust it.

CDC let Tom stick around and rebuild his staff after a huge disaster last season.

CDC failed to land the plane with Meyer. Ok, maybe out of his control, but now we're in a huge mess. No, I don't just mean optics, I mean recruiting, donors, probably the mindset of the team, etc. If you let this story get this big and public, you'd better be damn sure you're going to land the plane. To have this news break just before early signing is a fuck up beyond belief.

I generally like the guy, but the above points are his resume as it pertains to football so far, and that's without wading into the political stuff (that shouldn't really be his measuring stick, anyway).

Just like we tell coaches, at some point you are what your record says you are. Maybe he'll still get this right, but he is desperate for a win of any kind at this point.

16 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Contract extensions mean nothing. Often, they are done to make sure the coach has 4 years left on his deal so other programs can't use the contract issue in negative recruiting against the coach.

When Mack was last extended, his buyout was modified.

It is very possible to add years, without changing total guaranteed money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

CDC extended Tom. Rumor is that the president may have done it, but that's a new rumor and I'm not sure why we trust it.

CDC let Tom stick around and rebuild his staff after a huge disaster last season.

CDC failed to land the plane with Meyer. Ok, maybe out of his control, but now we're in a huge mess. No, I don't just mean optics, I mean recruiting, donors, probably the mindset of the team, etc. If you let this story get this big and public, you'd better be damn sure you're going to land the plane. To have this news break just before early signing is a fuck up beyond belief.

I generally like the guy, but the above points are his resume as it pertains to football so far, and that's without wading into the political stuff (that shouldn't really be his measuring stick, anyway).

Just like we tell coaches, at some point you are what your record says you are. Maybe he'll still get this right, but he is desperate for a win of any kind at this point.

CDC might have the safest job on campus other than Eddie Reese.

22 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Yup two big strikes against CDC plus the handling of this is 3 

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As mentioned upthread, I saw something credible recently, outlining Herman's history, that said Fenves insisted on extending Herman.

And that's consistent with his extending DelConte and his comments.

Having to get on a plane to woo Gilbert and his associate probably scarred Fenves for life.  I can see him thus wanting to insure no more coaching change chaos for the duration of his reign.

Given the size of the buyout, now, and worse a year ago, the coaching shuffle was a reasonable alternative.

Twice types at least twice as fast as I do.  I'll also add that getting rid of Herman with such a large buyout makes no sense unless you can replace him with someone considerably better.  If Urban does not want the job, then CDC may have to wait for the conclusion of current NCAA and/or NFL seasons to make serious inquiries, and that is assuming that the money to buyout Herman wasn't tied to only Urban taking the job.  

6 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Twice types at least twice as fast as I do.  I'll also add that getting rid of Herman with such a large buyout makes no sense unless you can replace him with someone considerably better.  If Urban does not want the job, then CDC may have to wait for the conclusion of current NCAA and/or NFL seasons to make serious inquiries, and that is assuming that the money to buyout Herman wasn't tied to only Urban taking the job.  

There are about 3-4 coaches better than Tom in our conference alone. 

13 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Contract extensions mean nothing. Often, they are done to make sure the coach has 4 years left on his deal so other programs can't use the contract issue in negative recruiting against the coach.

When Mack was last extended, his buyout was modified.

It is very possible to add years, without changing total guaranteed money.

Contract extensions mean everything. We are literally seeing what they mean right now. The fucking extension is what made the buyout what it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

While things are in a precarious position with football, I've been impressed with CDC. I would have preferred just about anyone to the idiot Patterson, but that's water under the bridge.

He has made a couple of impressive hires and seems to have figured out before he even got here that he wouldn't accept being a "Co-director" with the idiot Plonsky.

The only thing he could do right now that I would question is to do nothing. That may turn out to be his best/only option. But from the outside, it would look bad.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 927 E. 41st said:

While things are in a precarious position with football, I've been impressed with CDC. I would have preferred just about anyone to the idiot Patterson, but that's water under the bridge.

He has made a couple of impressive hires and seems to have figured out before he even got here that he wouldn't accept being a "Co-director" with the idiot Plonsky.

The only thing he could do right now that I would question is to do nothing. That may turn out to be his best/only option. But from the outside, it would look bad.

Who gives a shit about minor sports hires. Football hire is the only hire that will dictate CDCs time here. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’ve been. But those sports don’t pay the bills. 

Obviously true, but you asked "who gives a shit?" I think a lot of folks do. I know I do.

This is a frustrating situation right now, but he has to operate with the cards he's been dealt. His other hires are solid, I wouldn't have expected such hires from Patterson or even DeLoss. Who is the best coach in the history of the University? Eddie Reese.

29 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Contract extensions mean everything. We are literally seeing what they mean right now. The fucking extension is what made the buyout what it is. 

Back on either the Fire Tom Herman thread (when it was called that) or the Tom Herman Creating Culture thread, I heavily criticized the extension back in early 2019 as being foolish and unnecessary.  But the usual fanbois jerking themselves over (a now fairly insignificant) Sugar Bowl win countered that such an extension would never stand in the way of UT doing what needed to be done regarding football.  Um yeah, about that . . . 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So the problem isn't that the contract was extended, it was the terms of the extension.

It doesn't take much to extend a contract to infinity, yet not change the financial payout of the buyout.

What you seem to be having issues with is how the contract was extended, not that the contact was extended.

I wasn't privvy to the considerations behind the decision. Personally, I will defer to the individual with greater knowledge of the facts. I can't accept someone with no knowledge of the relevant facts has a better grasp of the situation than someone with far greater information.

2 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

So the problem isn't that the contract was extended, it was the terms of the extension.

It doesn't take much to extend a contract to infinity, yet not change the financial payout of the buyout.

What you seem to be having issues with is how the contract was extended, not that the contact was extended.

I wasn't privvy to the considerations behind the decision. Personally, I will defer to the individual with greater knowledge of the facts. I can't accept someone with no knowledge of the relevant facts has a better grasp of the situation than someone with far greater information.

A non-guaranteed extension is not an extension. It's closer to a MOU.

2 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Do you really think recruits scrutinize prospective coaches’ buyout terms. 

Lol

Dumbass, no, the recruits themselves can barely read. But they and their uncles get told by others how likely it is the coach they're signing to play for will be there two or four years down the road. And that's not a difficult thing to interpret contractually. 

15 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Dumbass, no, the recruits themselves can barely read. But they and their uncles get told by others how likely it is the coach they're signing to play for will be there two or four years down the road. And that's not a difficult thing to interpret contractually. 

Exactly.

19 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Do you really think recruits scrutinize prospective coaches’ buyout terms. 

Lol

No, but the folks that are negatively recruiting could certainly see through this.  You really think a non-guaranteed extension (which is really meaningless as far as job security is concerned) is going to fool anyone?  

"Oh no, we can't use the fact that opposing coach X's contract expires next year against them anymore. Now it expires three years from now, but there's really no buyout and they could costlessly fire him next year just like they could before."

58 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Then explain to be the differentials in the payouts between Herman's original contract and the modifications contained in the amendments to that contract. Regarding payments to both TH and 1-0 LLC.

You don't have a clue.

"Yea, but take a second look at the deferred payments due to 1-0 Culture LLC, and then calculate the NPV of the contract." Just the way to sway a high school athlete's college choice.

lol.

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Then explain to be the differentials in the payouts between Herman's original contract and the modifications contained in the amendments to that contract. Regarding payments to both TH and 1-0 LLC.

You don't have a clue.

"Yea, but take a second look at the deferred payments due to 1-0 Culture LLC, and then calculate the NPV of the contract." Just the way to sway a high school athlete's college choice.

lol.

you can't spell troll without lol

LOLOLOLOLOL