Jump to content
Brisketexan

COVID-19 thread of kindness, and how to help

Recommended Posts

Dammit, I need to focus on some hope and sunshine for a bit.  We the people are about to embark on a pretty tough stretch -- we see the shutdowns and isolation that's already happened, and we all know that it will be getting harder for a lot of people. 

It will be hard on the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions, who shouldn't be out and about at all.

It will be hard on those living paycheck-to-paycheck, especially those working in industries that will be hit hard by shutdowns.

It will be hard on everyone due to cabin fever.

So, I wanted to start a conversation to remind ourselves that, even as we isolate, we are all in this together.  We all have to look out for each other.  As things move forward, and we are allowed limited access to groceries and pharmacies (this is the case in much of Italy, for example -- you can go out for limited periods of time, with a limit on the number of people who can be in a store at a time), think about your neighbors who shouldn't go out/can't go out because they are vulnerable.  Find out what they need, and pick things up for them.

If you know someone on the margins who might be running low on something as essential as food....share.

And, maybe use this thread as a place to share some of the lessons learned by our fellow humans around the world on how to deal with the stress, anxiety, and challenges of life in relative isolation.

We have plenty of discussion of what's happening, what's not happening, and what our fears are.  In what may be one of the defining events in modern history, let's have a place to talk about what we are doing for each other, and what we can do for each other, and to take care of our own mental health and well-being.

To start: we have two elderly couples on our cul-de-sac.  Today, we are going to reach out to them, ask how they are doing, and suggest to them that they think of what they might need in the coming days, and to make lists.  And we'll make sure they get it.

Let's do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The employed individuals who may be hit hardest are those in the restaurant industry.

Order food, pick it up and tip as if you're dining in.  That is their livelihood - they are also the least likely to have legit healthcare, sick days and get paid diddly squat.  And shifts will get cut. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Js1 said:

The employed individuals who may be hit hardest are those in the restaurant industry.

Order food, pick it up and tip as if you're dining in.  That is their livelihood - they are also the least likely to have legit healthcare, sick days and get paid diddly squat.  And shifts will get cut. 

Fucking great suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In. Working with a young friend who is the Operations Manager at our local Food Bank. She is very nervous since no one is dropping off shit. 

Good job Sir. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I'll be honest...a significant reason for this post is my own mental health.  I've been working on the buildup to this for several weeks -- my job is crisis anticipation and management.  I saw this coming, and I work with enterprises that saw this coming.  It's been like watching 9/11 unfold in slo-motion, and that's been stressful as hell.  I'm worried about my parents.  I'm worried about my family, and my daughter who is in college out of the country.  I'm worried about all the people impacted by both the illness and the economic effects.

My job is to help people.  And I can't help everyone.  We can't help everyone.  Bad shit is going to happen, and there's nothing we can do to stop it all.  But we can stand and help the people we can.  We can't help them all.  But goddamit, we can help some of them.  And we can't do anything less than that.  We just can't.  It's the thing that's keeping me going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife has already reached out to our elderly neighbors to see if they need anything. Do the same if you can. No need to cause tension or fight with anyone if they're some of the older people who believe it's a hoax, but there are other elderly people right now who are scared of leaving their house because of the publicized case fatality rates they've seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dammit, I need to focus on some hope and sunshine for a bit.  We the people are about to embark on a pretty tough stretch -- we see the shutdowns and isolation that's already happened, and we all know that it will be getting harder for a lot of people. 

It will be hard on the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions, who shouldn't be out and about at all.

It will be hard on those living paycheck-to-paycheck, especially those working in industries that will be hit hard by shutdowns.

It will be hard on everyone due to cabin fever.

So, I wanted to start a conversation to remind ourselves that, even as we isolate, we are all in this together.  We all have to look out for each other.  As things move forward, and we are allowed limited access to groceries and pharmacies (this is the case in much of Italy, for example -- you can go out for limited periods of time, with a limit on the number of people who can be in a store at a time), think about your neighbors who shouldn't go out/can't go out because they are vulnerable.  Find out what they need, and pick things up for them.

If you know someone on the margins who might be running low on something as essential as food....share.

And, maybe use this thread as a place to share some of the lessons learned by our fellow humans around the world on how to deal with the stress, anxiety, and challenges of life in relative isolation.

We have plenty of discussion of what's happening, what's not happening, and what our fears are.  In what may be one of the defining events in modern history, let's have a place to talk about what we are doing for each other, and what we can do for each other, and to take care of our own mental health and well-being.

To start: we have two elderly couples on our cul-de-sac.  Today, we are going to reach out to them, ask how they are doing, and suggest to them that they think of what they might need in the coming days, and to make lists.  And we'll make sure they get it.

Let's do this.

Yep.  I spent all afternoon yesterday running a plan by those in charge at our Shrine and Scottish Rite in Waco to help in any possible way we can with the children of our area that will go hungry/parents lose jobs once they inevitably shut down the schools for a period of time.  We're trying to backchannel all the liability/logistics right now and see what we can do.  I mean, we as Masons are supposed to be pillars and dedicated servants of our community, and we're going to do whatever we can during this time period to show that and make it happen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I got my quarterly amazon shipment of tp just before the run. I'm willing to spare a square to my neighbors in need. I'm basically jesus.

Seriously though, nice to see a positive thread during these trying times. I saw a post about buying a gift card from your local restaurant if you prefer not to dine in so that they can have operating revenue through what will certainly be a slow period for them. Basically pay them up front and eat there when this passes over eventually.

Edited by 'stache

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  I spent all afternoon yesterday running a plan by those in charge at our Shrine and Scottish Rite in Waco to help in any possible way we can with the children of our area that will go hungry/parents lose jobs once they inevitably shut down the schools for a period of time.  We're trying to backchannel all the liability/logistics right now and see what we can do.  I mean, we as Masons are supposed to be pillars and dedicated servants of our community, and we're going to do whatever we can during this time period to show that and make it happen.  

Yes.  Let's not make this a failure.  Let's make it our finest hour.  It's a decision we can each make.

 

ae19e45e848db46167e31d5bcd7b9730.jpg

Edited by Brisketexan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes.  Let's not make this a failure.  Let's make it our finest hour.  It's a decision we can each make.

 

ae19e45e848db46167e31d5bcd7b9730.jpg

I'm out of rep today, so will have to quote for posterity.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the restaurant idea too - we need to encourage friend and neighbors (who can afford it) to make an effort to order in once or twice a week to keep the local restaurants in business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This doesn't sound like the Brisket of the last couple of years, "hope and sunshine"?  I like this, it's nice to see a hopeful side of you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

This doesn't sound like the Brisket of the last couple of years, "hope and sunshine"?  I like this, it's nice to see a hopeful side of you.

 

If there's one thing I've learned about Brisket, he's as genuine and people loving as anyone out there.  We had some damn good heart to heart PM convos during the Harvey disaster and aftermath.  

Deep down, we can all be good people, we just have to learn to let that be us all the time and let the differences we have be background noise, which will ultimately fade away if we don't focus on negative energy.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here y'all go, some sunshine.  Italians singing to each other from their homes:

In the darkness, let's choose to be the light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Trey3216 said:

If there's one thing I've learned about Brisket, he's as genuine and people loving as anyone out there.  We had some damn good heart to heart PM convos during the Harvey disaster and aftermath.  

Deep down, we can all be good people, we just have to learn to let that be us all the time and let the differences we have be background noise, which will ultimately fade away if we don't focus on negative energy.   

I know he's genuine, and good hearted man. It's been sad to see him on the ledge for so long, it's nice to see him looking to something positive. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Horny04 said:

I had the restaurant idea too - we need to encourage friend and neighbors (who can afford it) to make an effort to order in once or twice a week to keep the local restaurants in business.

If they sell any type of gift certificate or card, you could always pay them now to eat later, when this has died down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think these are the bare minimums for being a good citizen:

  • Follow the guidelines for limiting transmission
  • Educate as many people as you can within your sphere of influence
  • Do what you can to ensure your family and you are not part of the burden on the healthcare system
  • Do what you can to ensure your family and you are not part of the societal economic burden

My wife is also helping a few friends get set up for homeschooling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I think these are the bare minimums for being a good citizen:

  • Follow the guidelines for limiting transmission
  • Educate as many people as you can within your sphere of influence
  • Do what you can to ensure your family and you are not part of the burden on the healthcare system
  • Do what you can to ensure your family and you are not part of the societal economic burden

My wife is also helping a few friends get set up for homeschooling.

Outta rep.  And good on ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes.  Let's not make this a failure.  Let's make it our finest hour.  It's a decision we can each make.

 

ae19e45e848db46167e31d5bcd7b9730.jpg

+rep for one of the greatest movies ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Here y'all go, some sunshine.  Italians singing to each other from their homes:

In the darkness, let's choose to be the light.

I'm getting drunk and singing out my second floor windows tonight.  Doubt I'll get the same response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

42 minutes ago, Goredho said:

My wife is also helping a few friends get set up for homeschooling.

Yep, if you are out of work or working from home, may need to volunteer to watch the kids of neighboring health care workers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on mandatory salary cut for next three months (events industry) so I am extremely ramped up and under stress in this situation. 
 

this thread is a good stress reliever and gives me some hope for the tough times to come. 
 

go team human beings!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And I'll be honest...a significant reason for this post is my own mental health.  I've been working on the buildup to this for several weeks -- my job is crisis anticipation and management.  I saw this coming, and I work with enterprises that saw this coming.  It's been like watching 9/11 unfold in slo-motion, and that's been stressful as hell.  I'm worried about my parents.  I'm worried about my family, and my daughter who is in college out of the country.  I'm worried about all the people impacted by both the illness and the economic effects.

My job is to help people.  And I can't help everyone.  We can't help everyone.  Bad shit is going to happen, and there's nothing we can do to stop it all.  But we can stand and help the people we can.  We can't help them all.  But goddamit, we can help some of them.  And we can't do anything less than that.  We just can't.  It's the thing that's keeping me going.

Yeah, I do risk mitigation for projects in developing places. We saw this around December and something said um, this is odd. 

And you are correct. When times are like this you can feel helpless. Again, good on you for this thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

I’m on mandatory salary cut for next three months (events industry) so I am extremely ramped up and under stress in this situation. 
 

this thread is a good stress reliever and gives me some hope for the tough times to come. 
 

go team human beings!

Yeah, I'm in the travel industry.  Hoping I still have a job after all this.  Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, I'm in the travel industry.  Hoping I still have a job after all this.  Cheers!

Drink till you forget!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goredho said:

 

  • Follow the guidelines for limiting transmission
  • Educate as many people as you can within your sphere of influence
  • Do what you can to ensure your family and you are not part of the burden on the healthcare system
  • Do what you can to ensure your family and you are not part of the societal economic burden

Honestly, I think if we can get beyond all the denial and blame bullshit we will be ok.  I have no doubt some of us will bury some loved ones if not actually die ourselves.  But societally, if we can collectively acknowledge that this is a real problem and just move forward with each of us acting on the above items, we'll be okay.  Whether enough of us choose to do so will make the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing we are going to do is continue to pay our housekeeper that comes every other week, but we do not want her to clean.  Wife is going to hand her a check.  We know they cannot afford to not work.  Same with our gym memberships (Orange Theory).  Don't want trainers or staff to get laid off, so we'll continue to pay those even though we won't go for a few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Etexhorn13 said:

James Harden pitching in:

 

And laugh, I plan to laugh a lot and maintain my sense of humor no matter how bad it gets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Im going to curtail masturbation for right now so that if I am called upon to help repopulate the earth, my sperm count will be ready.  I am accepting donations of alcohol to aid in my efforts.  Won't you please give....

Edited by Lhorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Goredho said:

And laugh, I plan to laugh a lot and maintain my sense of humor no matter how bad it gets.

This site and the surly bastards (and bitches) on it are what I am counting on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asked my friend who runs the San Marcos Food Bank what they need. here is her response. She is preparing to be able to deliver food to those who cannot get out. Gotta love her commitment. 

Just wanted to pass it on since I bet this is similar around the country. 

Quote

 

So our crocodile closest to the boat is actually bags. We can’t move to a bag distribution without getting more bags. So that’s first. Then we need to worry about cleaning supplies.

And after all the supplies are secured we need to get the staples. First thing is canned meats. We have a two shelves of little tuna cans, but I don’t see those lasting very long with our clients. Plus we will need them for after if we can’t pick up from to the grocery stores (which always have a shortage of meats to donate anyway).

We have pallets of rice and pasta, but those will go fast. So it never hurts to get more. Jessica says we need breakfast foods, baking products, and we don’t have enough canned fruit to make it through more than two weeks. I’m on the fence about how pressing all that it.

And then we will have to see how long this lasts, if we can get back to picking up from the stores, and what they’ll have. Because we have lots of canned vegetables (mostly green beans and corn), but if we can’t get to the stores to pick up produce well run out in 4-5 weeks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Asked my friend who runs the San Marcos Food Bank what they need. here is her response. She is preparing to be able to deliver food to those who cannot get out. Gotta love her commitment. 

Just wanted to pass it on since I bet this is similar around the country. 

 

Was told that Austin food banks need money more than physical donations.  Not sure what is correct.  I'm sure both are needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

Im going to curtail masturbation for right now so that if I am called upon to help repopulate the earth, my sperm count will be ready.  I am accepting donations of alcohol to aid in my efforts.  Won't you please give....

True American hero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Was told that Austin food banks need money more than physical donations.  Not sure what is correct.  I'm sure both are needed.

She is the Operations Manager so does not work that much on the finance side. her focus is distribution. Shit, take a box of soup, all your HEB bags, and drop a 20. 

And serious about the bags. That is the #1 thing she says they need. HEB paper is preferred, they will take anything. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Horny04 said:

I had the restaurant idea too - we need to encourage friend and neighbors (who can afford it) to make an effort to order in once or twice a week to keep the local restaurants in business.

We started this strategy last night with a local Thai joint.  It's been good for years, but they have struggled with different owners for the entire time because it is a small capacity dining area in a secluded area.  Ordered enough to have leftovers today.  Life could be worse.

We usually pretty much exclusively cook during the week but are going to make a point to order carryout as much as possible from around the neighborhood.

Edited by JBJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JBJ said:

We started this strategy last night with a local Thai joint.  It's been good for years, but they have struggled with different owners for the entire time because it is a small capacity dining area in a secluded area.  Ordered enough to have leftovers today.  Life could be worse.

We usually pretty much exclusively cook during the week but are going to make a point to order carryout as much as possible from around the neighborhood.

It's low-40s in Denver, so I would normally throw together some chili tonight.  But I think I'll stop by the sports bar next door and grab something.  Without sports, they have to be struggling a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pos rep given. This whole thread is gold. And very inspiring. Well done, Brisket!

Our neighborhood consists of 35 houses on a single dead-end road, and we mostly all know each other. Good people. No drama. Plus, we’re nicely contained. Wife and I are on the younger end of the age-range. She’ll continue to hold down the local hospital. I’ll grab the reins and make sure the neighborhood stays intact. 

Much thanks for the wake-up call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's low-40s in Denver, so I would normally throw together some chili tonight.  But I think I'll stop by the sports bar next door and grab something.  Without sports, they have to be struggling a bit. 

Yeah, it looks nice outside, but I just went out and it's cold AF with that wind.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great idea for a thread. At times like this, everyone has some strength to contribute. Here's mine: I teach AP World History and European History at a Texas high school and I've also taught AP US History in previous years. On top of that, I work for the College Board training teachers on how to teach AP history classes.

If schools remain closed for more than a couple of weeks, I'm going to start putting together online lessons for my students so that they are ready for the test in May. If that does happen, I'll be happy to share those lessons with any of you that have students at home who are taking AP tests. I know that a lot of school districts are planning for online courses, but I also know that many don't have the capabilities to do it. I can help fill in the gaps for your kids in AP history courses.

Just DM me if your kid's school is out for more than two weeks and I'll start putting some resources together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Cyber crimes will peak through this period of hysteria. Make sure to stay vigilant yourself and consult loved ones to not click on unsolicited emails with attachments, use trusted sources for info (.gov), verifying charity info before any donations, and generally limiting revealing any personal information. 
 

These are common sense measures that some neglect to consider. Scammers don’t give a fuck and will steal your shit. 

Edited by Constant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Js1 said:

It's low-40s in Denver, so I would normally throw together some chili tonight.  But I think I'll stop by the sports bar next door and grab something.  Without sports, they have to be struggling a bit. 

Believe it or not, a lot of their customers could get some amusement if the bar TV sets were tuned to the cute cat & dog video channels. Or some Youtube jackass channels.

or just tune to the ESPN classic games channel.

Edited by Armybrat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to pat myself on the back, but I’ve been traveling around the Maine/VT/NH bar scene looking for superspreaders. I found more than you might expect. It seems the end times has caused young ladies to question their moral compass.

Now it’s time to self-quarantine while I rest from all the intense research.

Seriously, good thread. It’s very easy, and appealing to our animal instincts, to become selfish in times like these. If we can get outside of our own head, we’ll realize there’s someone nearby whose life is impacted to a much greater extent. Most importantly, there’s something we can do to assist. Then there’s the added bonus of being able to  crawl out of our own pit of misery for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Js1 said:

The employed individuals who may be hit hardest are those in the restaurant industry.

Order food, pick it up and tip as if you're dining in.  That is their livelihood - they are also the least likely to have legit healthcare, sick days and get paid diddly squat.  And shifts will get cut. 

Do we tip the Sonic girls?  Asking for a friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...