2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

1 minute ago, BrickTop said:

My buddy’s wife’s mom couldn’t get out of Lake Charles is that like the target zone for the surge? They tried to tell her but she turned because 1-10 was borked and didn’t want to sit in traffic

It's supposed to reach Lake Charles. The storm surge is expected to be 20 feet or more with 140 mph+ wind. I would GTFO NOW.

• Like 1

Lol well they are talking to her and she seems intent on riding it out I’m a pretty ballsy guy but no way in hell, my fear would be when the ocean winds up in my yard, power goes out and the water starts rising then the r da ligation maybe you made a grave mistake. I can think of better ways of dying

raw

I take it you don't remember the Rita evacuations

I was still in Austin then so no, I’ve been in Houston since 2013 only experienced Harvey....I’m in emergency services so wouldn’t leave anyway just thinking of contingency plans for a wife, mother 2 kids and a dog

2 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

It's still 30 miles inland at Lake Charles.

.....at the top of waterways that are going to see a hellacious surge, and the surge actually gets HIGHER as it goes upstream and becomes more constricted.

It's even closer at the top of Trinity Bay, of course.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see I-10 overtopped.

Just now, BrickTop said:

I was still in Austin then so no, I’ve been in Houston since 2013 only experienced Harvey....I’m in emergency services so wouldn’t leave anyway just thinking of contingency plans for a wife, mother 2 kids and a dog

It was a disaster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Rita

Just three weeks after Hurricane Katrina devastated the northern Gulf Coast, the threat of yet another major hurricane prompted mass evacuations in coastal Texas. An estimated 2.5 – 3.7 million people fled prior to Rita's landfall,[42][43] making it the largest evacuation in United States' history.[3]

On Wednesday, Houston mayor Bill White urged residents to evacuate the city, telling residents, "Don't wait; the time for waiting is over," reminding residents of the disaster in New Orleans.[51] After heavy traffic snarled roads leading out of town and gas shortages left numerous vehicles stranded, Mayor White backed off his earlier statement with, "If you're not in the evacuation zone, follow the news," advising people to use common sense.[51] However, by 3:00 p.m. that afternoon, the freeway system in Houston was at a stand-still.[52]

To the east of Houston, officials had set up evacuation routes in response to the slow evacuation of residents prior to Hurricane Lili.[53] During the Rita evacuation, these preparations and their execution were overwhelmed by the enormous and unprecedented number of people fleeing from the Houston area prior to the departure of local residents.[44] By the time Jefferson County began their mandatory evacuation, local roads were already full of Houstonians.[54] Traffic on designated evacuation routes was forced to go far slower than the speeds experienced with any previous hurricane.[55][56]

By late Thursday (22nd) morning, the contraflow lanes had been ordered opened after officials determined that the state's highway system had become gridlocked.[57] The Texas Department of Transportation was unprepared to execute such a large-scale evacuation.[58] Coordination and implementation of the contraflow plan took 8 to 10 hours as inbound traffic was forced to exit. Police were stationed to assist with traffic flow. Evacuees fought traffic Wednesday afternoon through mid-day Friday, moving only a fraction of the normal distance expected.[44] Average travel times to Dallas were 24–36 hours, travel times to Austin were 12–18 hours and travel times to San Antonio were 10–16 hours, depending on the point of departure in Houston.[59] Many motorists ran out of gas or experienced breakdowns in temperatures that neared 100 °F (38 °C). Traffic volumes did not ease for nearly 48 hours as more than three million residents evacuated the area in advance of the storm.[44]

As an estimated 2.5 – 3.7 million people evacuated the Texas coastline, a significant heat wave affected the region. The combination of severe gridlock and excessive heat led to between 90 and 118 deaths even before the storm arrived.[42][43] Reports from the Houston Chronicle indicated 107 evacuation-related fatalities. Texas Representative Garnet Coleman criticized the downplay of the deaths in the evacuation and questioned whether the storm would be deadlier than the preparations.[60] According to local officials, the traffic reached a point where residents felt safer riding out the storm at home rather than being stuck in traffic when Rita struck.[42] Many evacuees periodically turned off their air conditioning to reduce fuel consumption as well as drank less water to limit the number of "restroom stops." According to a post-storm study, which reported 90 evacuation-related deaths, nine people perished solely as a result of hyperthermia. However, it was suspected that most of the 67 deaths attributed to heat stress were a combination of hyperthermia and chronic health conditions.[43] In addition to the heat-related deaths, 23 nursing home evacuees were killed after a bus caught fire on Interstate 45 near Wilmer.[43] The bus erupted into flames after the vehicle's rear axle overheated, due to insufficient lubrication, and ignited therapeutic oxygen tanks on board.[61] According to a resident near the site of the accident, there were three explosions.[62] Many of the passengers were mobility-impaired making escape difficult or impossible.[63] In June 2009, nearly four years after the fire, families of those who died in the accident won an $80 million settlement against the manufacturer of the bus and the company that provided the nursing home with it.[61]

The failure in Rita was telling everyone to evacuate. That was and is fucking stupid. It screwed up the roads for the people near the coast that really did need to get out. People didn’t leave as much in Ike, rightfully so, because a more reasoned and cautious approach was taken. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I evacuated then. It was a fucking mess. Gas stations all boarded up. Lucked out and got a BNB in Brenham. Made it from Houston on less than a 1/4 of a tank. I left pretty much immediately after they sent us home from work. Course I got to stay at a relatives ranch with a massive pool and played frisbee golf the whole time for two days and went back once we realized nothing was happening in Htown. I’d rather leave than stay though. But if it’s last minute and you don’t have a tank full of gas forget it. 

38 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

My buddy’s wife’s mom couldn’t get out of Lake Charles is that like the target zone for the surge? They tried to tell her but she turned because 1-10 was borked and didn’t want to sit in traffic

Looking at Google Maps, I-10 and many other roads out of there look pretty decent right now.  Mostly green, other than a backup west of the I-10 bridge in Baton Rouge and some slowing approaching Lafayette.  I'd take US 165 to Kinder than US 190 into Baton Rouge.  Going west I-10 mostly green until Baytown except for a bit at Vidor, and US 90 isn't backed up at Liberty.  Much better than yesterday.

Going north also looks green, and buys more time, but would want to cut east or west at some point to get out of the inland effects.  This could still be a hurricane approaching Shreveport tomorrow, with the resulting power loss and all those potential downed trees causing other disruptions like grocery and restaurant resupply.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Moby Ric said:

Fuck Rita.  I stayed when I lived in Houston.  But the evacuation was fucking insane.

We got from Missouri city to I-10 in no time, beltway was wide open and free. We were on our way to a relative’s house on the LA side of Toledo bend. We then moved nowhere for an hour or two on 10 eastbound, so I took some overcrowded roads slowly to 59 and tried that way. 14ish hours later I got to Cleveland, and I told my (pregnant with twins) wife that if it didn’t lighten up there from cars peeling off on different courses that we’d go back. It didn’t, so we went back. Only took an hour. 
then the storm turned, and Missouri City was a much better place to be than Toledo bend. 
we left earlier for Ike. 

8 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Fuck Rita.  I stayed when I lived in Houston.  But the evacuation was fucking insane.

We left a couple of days before chaos and went to lake livingston...Here we were putting gas in the mastercraft about to rip gnar on the lake and everyone was honking and bitching at us. we also thought it was weird that there was a line 20+ cars behind us trying to get gas. anyway that day on the lake was so flat...fortunately we had 3 kegs and 4 coolers full of steak and some horny co-eds. good times...until that fucking hurricane went right over where we evacuated.

Looking at Google Maps, I-10 and many other roads out of there look pretty decent right now.  Mostly green, other than a backup west of the I-10 bridge in Baton Rouge and some slowing approaching Lafayette.  I'd take US 165 to Kinder than US 190 into Baton Rouge.  Going west I-10 mostly green until Baytown except for a bit at Vidor, and US 90 isn't backed up at Liberty.  Much better than yesterday.
Going north also looks green, and buys more time, but would want to cut east or west at some point to get out of the inland effects.  This could still be a hurricane approaching Shreveport tomorrow, with the resulting power loss and all those potential downed trees causing other disruptions like grocery and restaurant resupply.

They’re heading northeast and getting out they were finally convinced of the seriousness.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We got from Missouri city to I-10 in no time, beltway was wide open and free. We were on our way to a relative’s house on the LA side of Toledo bend. We then moved nowhere for an hour or two on 10 eastbound, so I took some overcrowded roads slowly to 59 and tried that way. 14ish hours later I got to Cleveland, and I told my (pregnant with twins) wife that if it didn’t lighten up there from cars peeling off on different courses that we’d go back. It didn’t, so we went back. Only took an hour. 
then the storm turned, and Missouri City was a much better place to be than Toledo bend. 
we left earlier for Ike. 

i stayed for Ike, fuck that storm too.  No power for 10 days, thank God for that cold front.  I had just gotten back from a dove hunting trip and had little time to prep.  But we rode it out with what we had.  Got to know our neighbors really well that week.

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

97e9fbc781d0621828a3e518d5b7e4cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know he's the "no hype" guy but this kind of pushes that envelope. This is a "bodies in trees" post. Yes, a nightmare scenario hurricane like that would be horrendous but I am having a hard time seeing it as Houston's Pompeii. 

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Work is being really overdramatic with this.  Phone trees?  Really?  We ain't getting shit. 

Phones in trees!

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Galveston will be fine. Fortunately this thing is going in where there is almost nothing. port Arthur and Beaumont  will take a pretty good hit, but most of the damage is going to be around Lake Charles and east of that. There is almost no population or buildings in that area. But live in Cameron, LA? You’re fucked.

This is nothing new for Cameron. It's pretty much a ghost town already. Only 400 people live there today. Hurricane Audrey killed 300 people there in 1957. And then came Rita and Ike and now this. (Surly pun intended.)

28 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

In theory how well would a last minute evacuation of Houston go should the need arise?

A friend of mine works on Capitol Hill studying contingencies like these. Safe evacuation of Houston, given even a week's notice, is simply not possible. And nobody is going to call for a mandatory evacuation a week ahead of landfall of any storm anyway. 

12 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

That could be normal I10 traffic. That bridge is always fucked. I'd take I49 north at Lafayette and stay on it until I was at least clear of the basin, then cut east and head for North Mississippi.  

8 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Just heard from my mom that her cousin in New Iberia wouldn’t leave and is going to ride this thing out at home. F’n insane. 

i don't believe it, but on twc they just said 20' storm surge.  twenty. fucking. feet.  calcasieu parish will be part of the gulf of mexico for 48 hours.