AISD's (and other districts) Plans for Schools Starting August 18

atomheartbevo

LISD likely isn't done reporting for the day, but I'm done counting.  Switching to Bourbon.  Each dot is a week.  Last two dots are this school year everything else is last school year.  In 2020 we peaked at 130 cases in a week.  I can't imagine schools will be able to stay open beyond next week due to staffing shortages

image.png.9e68801b09b07a4472f325bdfeadc307.png

source - https://www.leanderisd.org/covid19dashboard/

38 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

LISD likely isn't done reporting for the day, but I'm done counting.  Switching to Bourbon.  Each dot is a week.  Last two dots are this school year everything else is last school year.  In 2020 we peaked at 130 cases in a week.  I can't imagine schools will be able to stay open beyond next week due to staffing shortages

image.png.9e68801b09b07a4472f325bdfeadc307.png

source - https://www.leanderisd.org/covid19dashboard/

So......are we officially calling this launch of the schoolyear a trainwreck inside a clusterfuck?

Goddamn, guys......this sucks, and I'm really sorry to see it happening for all of y'all with school age kids.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

So......are we officially calling this launch of the schoolyear a trainwreck inside a clusterfuck?

Goddamn, guys......this sucks, and I'm really sorry to see it happening for all of y'all with school age kids.

It's more like the Challenger launch. 

9 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

I guess Conroe ISD was holding onto all the Covid contact emails until last night. We have a lot of young kids on our street and they’ve all been in contact with someone that’s positive at school. It’s fucking everywhere here, so it’s only a matter of time until we’ve all had it. 

College Park HS has been sending out notifications every day since school opened.  Each day has had a minimum of five cases.

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

I guess Conroe ISD was holding onto all the Covid contact emails until last night. We have a lot of young kids on our street and they’ve all been in contact with someone that’s positive at school. It’s fucking everywhere here, so it’s only a matter of time until we’ve all had it. 

Grand Oaks high and the feeder schools have been sending daily updates, and there’s a tracker online. 

AISD - for this week, through yesterday:

• 23 student positives, 156 exposed
  • 22 employee positives, 6 exposed
  • 3 "other" positives, 0 exposed

Today Only:

• 29 student positives322 exposed
  • 9 employee positives, 8 exposed

That's obviously not much compared to a lot of other districts for the span of a single day, but it kind of stood out to me.

Hutto has joined in.

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/set-for-school/masks-to-be-required-in-hutto-isd-starting-monday/

The Hutto Independent School District has chosen to require masking in its schools and facilities starting Monday. 

“Current levels of COVID cases in our community require us to implement additional measures to our health and safety protocols including the temporary use of universal mask wearing,” Superintendent Celina Estrada Thomas said in an announcement online Friday. 

Thomas said rising infection rates in the community and low ICU bed capacity pushed district leadership to require masking.

The amazing part to me about Covid is how predictable it is at pretty much every step yet we’re still behind. Every school knew exactly what was going to happen yet here they are acting surprised that cases are exploding. 

“Oops, I guess we’ll require masks who could have seen this coming herpa derpa durr.”

I know there’s political pressure from hot wheels and the rest but come on. 

DISD's Covid dashboard for the week:

280 positive cases. Not broken down by staff or students.

2 week total so far as teachers and staff went back last week:

506 positive cases.

Campus Staff: 227

Central Staff: 66

Students: 213

Since kids weren't back till this week, assuming they didn't count students in the cumulative total that may have reported they had Covid in the previous week and may have missed the start of school, that's 213 positive student cases this week. 

Younger daughter said it's 100% mask compliance at her new middle school and on the bus. 

1st grader (Leander isd) woke up with cough but otherwise feels ok. Tips on best OTC covid tests?  Imagine we will test all of us just for peace of mind. 

fuck all this bullshit. At least she had a great week of school and has been very good about masking up. 

fingers crossed I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Parents around us been recommending BinaxNOW.  Hoping some of ya'll more scientific types can speak to the accuracy of those.  HEB has a 2-pack for $20.  May as well pick some up for the rest of the semester.  For this week though, since it happened Day fucking One, figured we wait the 5 days and do a swab at the drive-thru Walgreen's so just made that appointment for Monday.  Only appointment time available was 3:15p, which I found to be a sign from the universe.  That's probably gonna be our regiment on Mondays after school, Walgreen's drive-thru and then soccer.

Going forward, as cases invariably flare up...just keep some at-homes in bulk laying around.  

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

My 5th grade daughter in Dripping Springs said 6 students had masks on in her class of 27 (her being one of those 6). Said it started out as more on Day 1 but slowly decreased throughout the week.

My school district is more in line with this one than most comments on this thread. We haven’t started yet but at meet the teacher night last week I’d say conservatively that it was 95% unmasked between all participants. I suppose we’re the control group. 

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

1st grader (Leander isd) woke up with cough but otherwise feels ok. Tips on best OTC covid tests?  Imagine we will test all of us just for peace of mind. 

fuck all this bullshit. At least she had a great week of school and has been very good about masking up. 

fingers crossed I guess. 

on the positive side it’s unlikely it’s covid. Kids that age typically have fatigue, lack of appetite as obvious symptoms. Maybe fever. Cough less likely.

• Fuck You 2

38 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Parents around us been recommending BinaxNOW.  Hoping some of ya'll more scientific types can speak to the accuracy of those.  HEB has a 2-pack for $20.  May as well pick some up for the rest of the semester.  For this week though, since it happened Day fucking One, figured we wait the 5 days and do a swab at the drive-thru Walgreen's so just made that appointment for Monday.  Only appointment time available was 3:15p, which I found to be a sign from the universe.  That's probably gonna be our regiment on Mondays after school, Walgreen's drive-thru and then soccer.

Going forward, as cases invariably flare up...just keep some at-homes in bulk laying around.  

MIT's tech review did some testing of the tests, and the results vary. The biggest factor is if you screw it up or not lol

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/05/04/1024450/at-home-covid-test-review-accuracy-binaxnow-lucira-ellume/

They found Binax to be 85% accurate on positive results and 95% accurate for negative results

2 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Yep keeping an eye out today. Also know that she didn’t get sick at all last year(colds, etc) bc she was doing virtual learning, so it’s likely just a small thing. Hope for the best and plan for the worst I suppose. 

Both my 7 and 3 year olds were just tired one day. Not a sniffle or cough the rest of the time. That’s also what I’ve heard from other families that have had it go through their houses. 

Older kids are a bit different. They can get like a cold and also lose taste etc. 

Edited by Muy Frio

Friend of mine who teaches elementary in Austin said this morning that it's almost comical how many parents have told her how pro-mask their child is and how their child is worried about non-masked kids.  She says 90% of those kids with the vocal parents are the ones trying to lose the mask as soon as mom or dad drives out of the parking lot.  Says most of the parents are completely delusional about their kids masking habits.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Fuck. My best friend's wife just tested positive for COVID and is feeling real shitty. She teaches English at Churchill in NEISD, and I'm worried she's going to be one of many many sick teachers in the coming weeks. No idea if she was vaxxed or not, but she's a smart cookie so I hope she was. She was also the girl who was sick every other week in highschool so hopefully it'll be just like a flu

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Friend of mine who teaches elementary in Austin said this morning that it's almost comical how many parents have told her how pro-mask their child is and how their child is worried about non-masked kids.  She says 90% of those kids with the vocal parents are the ones trying to lose the mask as soon as mom or dad drives out of the parking lot.  Says most of the parents are completely delusional about their kids masking habits.  

So, just like everything else kids lie to their parents about. 

My kids elementary school in RRISD sent the first ‘person in the building tested positive’ email on Friday.  My wife works there and I get regular photos online, so have pretty good accountability on my kids masking up.  I’m honestly surprised it took this long.  The principal is one of our best friends and don’t take no shit, so maybe I shouldn’t be too surprised.  

Definitely not surprised for Leander, the one I’m curious about is Liberty Hill…we asked a friend of ours if they were going to get the vaccine, mask up or if they were worried about starting the school year.  She said ‘nah, we’re all Republicans up here’ and that was that.  Not intended as a CR discussion point, just made me suddenly curious how they’re fairing. 

My kid will beat all those kids up, then staple masks to their faces!
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

MIT's tech review did some testing of the tests, and the results vary. The biggest factor is if you screw it up or not lol

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/05/04/1024450/at-home-covid-test-review-accuracy-binaxnow-lucira-ellume/

They found Binax to be 85% accurate on positive results and 95% accurate for negative results

Hmm seems really way off to me that the accuracy is higher for neg result than positives....

Our pediatrician told us that 3 out of 10 PCR test results are false negatives, so I have to think the at-home tests are even less accurate esp. considering the self-administration. 

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans

Real talk --- 

how should I balance the risk of my May-birthday 11-yr old boy growing a second head from getting a too "high" for his age dose of the Covid vaccine now, versus outcome from Covid due to waiting with thumbs up our asses for approval for under-12s? 

Sick of being sitting ducks here and spouse with J&J gimp shot getting no guidance from CDC or doctor other than to wait and see about booster.  

Real talk --- 
how should I balance the risk of my May-birthday 11-yr old boy growing a second head from getting a too "high" for his age dose of the Covid vaccine now, versus outcome from Covid due to waiting with thumbs up our asses for approval for under-12s? 
Sick of being sitting ducks here and spouse with J&J gimp shot getting no guidance from CDC or doctor other than to wait and see about booster.  

A friend’s 11 YO girl got it. It is fine. You can’t OD on it.

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Real talk --- 

I got my 11-year old vaccinated before summer camp. No regrets. I know of plenty of 10-11 year olds who did the same thing.  Walgreens checks for proof of DOB, so don't go there. And don't give them insurance info.

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Hmm seems really way off to me that the accuracy is higher for neg result than positives....

Our pediatrician told us that 3 out of 10 PCR test results are false negatives, so I have to think the at-home tests are even less accurate esp. considering the self-administration. 

It’s called specificity, and having a higher specificity makes sense to me…though it’d depend on the population and the prevalence of covid at the time they tested them.  

If 10% of Texas has covid, and my test tells every single one they do NOT have it…then my specificity is 90%, because it’s correct that 90% of the people do not have it.  However my sensitivity (detecting those who DO), would be 0%.  

My guess is at home tests have a higher specificity because most people tested do not have Covid.  And those failures are those that did have covid, but not enough antigen at the time of testing to yield a positive….just like the gold standard PCR tests.  That’s why you need to wait until a few days after symptoms for the tests to be at their most accurate.  

For example…my pregnancy test for surly is always negative.  It’s got 100% specificity because we are 90% dudes and the other ladies are almost certainly not pregnant.  But it’s sensitivity is 0% because even if you were pregnant, I’d never know as I always say it’s negative.  

Edited by Homercles

11 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

can you tell me where you went? Ok to DM

CVS -- they hassled me about insurance info "for the system," but I refused.

Anywhere you go, they'll ask your kid to say his/her DOB, so be sure to rehearse that before you get there.

Edited by Cap33
Additional info added
  • Hook 'Em 2

PGISD checking in with 58 positive students during the first week. Cases broke out as follows:
10- elementary
4 - intermediate
9 - middle
35 - high school

A small town in Arkansas not far from here has 70 kids quarantined after the first four days.