COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Another spike in daily cases in the 10-19 group vs their historic average. Good news 1st day in a week or so that the 60 yo + grouping were below their historic average.

Not sure if the 10-19 spike is just due to kids returning from camp or people testing in advance of camp or school activities but if this keeps up will be interesting to see how it impacts AISD back to school plans. (Data for Travis County)

Age Bracket 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 7/23 vs 7/22 8 24 79 53 34 15 11 11 7 242
% of Daily Change 3.31% 9.92% 32.64% 21.90% 14.05% 6.20% 4.55% 4.55% 2.89%  
% of Total Cases 2.66% 7.76% 27.48% 21.83% 16.37% 11.57% 6.40% 3.33% 2.60% 18,839

Probably camps as several of them have shut down because counselors/campers tested positive.  We have a friend whose son got it at Sky Ranch a few weeks ago.  He had a runny nose and sore throat.  The counselor had a headache as his symptoms. 

Also, neither parent nor 2 siblings got it from the kid in the 2+ weeks since he's been home.

Edited by Scary Stranger

Here is a chart showing the 7day average comparison since June 5th until July 23rd (I am one day short of the final 7d (should be 7/24 - will update tomorrow)). It is interesting how the % of hospitalizations requiring ICU is declining whereas the % of Hospitalizations requiring a ventilator are increasing over the past 4 time increments.

This is for Travis County and is comparing 7 day Moving Average between the % of Hospitalizations in ICU vs % of Hospitalizations requiring a Ventilator

image.png.9d9f771530456bd4439a49b17f9fe463.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Probably camps as several of them have shut down because counselors/campers tested positive.  We have a friend whose son got it at Sky Ranch a few weeks ago.  He had a runny nose and sore throat.  The counselor had a headache as his symptoms. 

Also, neither parent nor 2 siblings got it from the kid in the 2+ weeks since he's been home.

Relative caught it at Camp Olympia

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Probably the kind of idiot that you know, has children, has seen what the lack of socialization for months has done to them, and did a cost benefit analysis considering the extremely low number of symptomatic children and the extremely low percentage of children becoming seriously ill.   Looking at it solely from the perspective of risk to your children, you better be saying "what idiot sends their kids to school during flu season" because that is significantly more likely to result in serious illness for a kid.  It's really more are you comfortable with (i) the risk it's brought into your house as a parent and/or (ii) can you keep them away from grandparents when they return for a couple of weeks.    

I wasn't even going to try to explain. Bravo.

14 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Probably the kind of idiot that you know, has children, has seen what the lack of socialization for months has done to them, and did a cost benefit analysis considering the extremely low number of symptomatic children and the extremely low percentage of children becoming seriously ill.   Looking at it solely from the perspective of risk to your children, you better be saying "what idiot sends their kids to school during flu season" because that is significantly more likely to result in serious illness for a kid.  It's really more are you comfortable with (i) the risk it's brought into your house as a parent and/or (ii) can you keep them away from grandparents when they return for a couple of weeks.    

Yeah thats a play stupid games win stupid prizes situation for me 

also, we have no clue what lingering effects this virus has on kids. sending kids somewhere voluntarily “for their mental health” is silly considering we havent even been cooped up for 4 months. 

to each their own, but its the same as kids going to school, going to the movies, theme park, etc. hell, it might even be worse than that because the contact tike with other individuals is longer.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yeah thats a play stupid games win stupid prizes situation for me 

also, we have no clue what lingering effects this virus has on kids. sending kids somewhere voluntarily “for their mental health” is silly considering we havent even been cooped up for 4 months. 

to each their own, but its the same as kids going to school, going to the movies, theme park, etc. hell, it might even be worse than that because the contact tike with other individuals is longer.

What have you been letting your kids do?

• Hook 'Em 2

We should just start a "Kung Flu numbers" thread. When numbers are going down, ChickenSandwich can post the updates, and when they're going up, Hugo can post them. Bonus if the mods would make that the only thread the two of you can post in.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

A apologize if a ten day running Austin average was hurting your feelings. Seemed like a better stat to follow than just day to day death counts. 

"I'm sorry you were so triggered!" says man who became so emotional over Hugo posting daily numbers updates that he created a months-long schtick spanning dozens of posts just to fight back.

• Hook 'Em 1

Picking my kids up tomorrow from camp. They've been there for two weeks without incident.

We'll monitor them for the next two weeks and keep them away from the olds.

I'm betting the entire fall semester will be virtual, so I'm okay with our decision to send them to camp.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

sending kids somewhere voluntarily “for their mental health” is silly considering we havent even been cooped up for 4 months. 

Do you have kids?  And I'll say I think it's pretty irresponsible to ignore the mental health toll this has had on everyone, but on the kids and elderly (i.e. those living out their last years separated from their loved ones in nursing homes) in particular.  The latter there really isn't anything we can do about.  It is what it is and sucks.  But for kids, I have zero issue with ANYONE doing a risk analysis and trying to find a balance between socialization and staying safe.   

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Do you have kids?  And I'll say I think it's pretty irresponsible to ignore the mental health toll this has had on everyone, but on the kids and elderly (i.e. those living out their last years separated from their loved ones in nursing homes) in particular.  The latter there really isn't anything we can do about.  It is what it is and sucks.  But for kids, I have zero issue with ANYONE doing a risk analysis and trying to find a balance between socialization and staying safe.   

That was my point. Pretty safe guess he has no kids. Or at least none of school age. Of course 2 year olds don’t gaf. 

Just now, GRHorn said:

That was my point. Pretty safe guess he has no kids. Or at least none of school age. Of course 2 year olds don’t gaf. 

Yeah, 2 is probably about the cut-off I'm guessing.  My 18 month old daughter DGAF.  My son (4 in October) is desperate for socialization.  We sent him to 1 week at his "school" with a limited number of kids for camp a few weeks back and it did wonders.  We're now hosting ISR swim lessons at our pool and he had a complete meltdown the first day he saw kids in our backyard and we wouldn't let him go play with them.  It sucks for them.   And I can only imagine for elementary + children.  Most I know ended up allowing their kids to play with friends outside in neighborhood etc. once summer started and I don't blame them a bit.  We're planning on letting both our kids start Pre-K a couple of days a week post labor day.  They are taking what precautions they can but based on all available data I'm more concerned for the flu at that age.   And I'm hopeful the current data that kids aren't a primary source of the spread continues to pan out.  Of course we can always change our minds or pull them out if we get uncomfortable.  I don't think there is a right answer here.

We filled out the paper work to start a kindergartner in person yesterday rather than virtual. Debated it heavily, but opted for normalcy. I’m WFH until mid Q4 at the earliest. If he or classmates gets a positive it’ll impact wife pretty badly as she’ll have to stop her income for 14 days minimum. He asks daily about seeing friends and starting school. Also started asking, “after corona virus can we...” lately that breaks my heart.

Still unsure if they’ll actually have students go in at the rate county cases are growing.

2-3yr preschool is likely to start virtual, and we’ll be a giant PITA for me to try and do from home while working and watching a new born.

A lot of fucked up people mentally of every age. Sorry if sending my kid back to school (if it opens) makes me bad citizen, but go watch NumberBlocks or Minions for the 4000th time while dad works is no way to raise an inquisitive 5 year old.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

“after corona virus can we...” lately that breaks my heart.

LOL.  We started getting this like 2 weeks in.   When he wanted to go to Target (he got his last toy from Target a couple of weeks before shutdown).  So we tried to explain why we couldn't go places.  So it started with "after the virus we can go to Target" and then morphed into everything he wants to do

53 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I just make my kids mow the lawn and pull weeds. Gets them out of the house and they won't get the rona. 

They do a shitty job on the lawn, but I figure it will get better once they hit their 5th birthday. 

Use a switch. They hate that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

People can do whatever they want, ultimately. But if you want to drag this thing out longer, please send your kids to camp. 

Ive had to intubate covid patients and assist with running vents at the hospitals we staff. It just sucks that some of the people im treating that are dying are dying because people want to send their kids to camp... or want to have a backyard bbq with another few families.... or share a beach house with their in laws... etc

I have twin 4.5 year olds, and really its pretty fucking easy to keep em happy. Zoom play dates, hitting state parks, beach state parks, having them do “schoolwork/crafts”, fishing, teaching them sports and hobbies, movie nights, etc. 

its all about choice, but sending kids to camp is the same as not wearing a mask in public to me

• Hook 'Em 3

Furk.

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-man-dies-covid-19-after-visit-granddaughter-infected-party-1520181

A doctor at Parkland Hospital in Dallas, Texas, has highlighted a story that many young people could learn from. A granddaughter contracted coronavirus at a party, then killed her grandfather by giving him the disease.

Chief medical officer Dr. Joseph Chang treated 170 patients with COVID-19 on Tuesday. He said one of them had gone to a party with friends and contracted COVID-19.

"Before she was symptomatic, she visited her 80-year-old grandparents and they got sick," Chang told local news outlet WFAA.

When the granddaughter got sick she was treated in the hospital's intensive care unit, where she was put into a medically induced coma and was given a ventilator to help her breathe.

Ten days later the young patient was conscious again, only to find out that her grandfather had also been put into intensive care and died the previous day.

12 hours ago, Walte464 said:

Judge Cortez did a shelter in place that would take effect yesterday,  Wednesday 7/22, Abbott’s office declared that he had “no enforcement mechanism”. Abbott has completely handicapped the leaders of south Texas, allowing this pandemic to run rampant.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texastribune.org/2020/07/20/hidalgo-county-coronavirus-emergency-order-gov-greg-abbott/amp/

ADC3F729-FEB2-47C6-A3C7-27E429E57211.jpeg

I think Abbott will change his tune.   The polls/approval ratings are not favoring him right now, and there's something in November that's happening, that he is really sensitive about.   You can read CR for what that is.

Plus, the national news is really starting to pay attention to South Texas.

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think Abbott will change his tune.   The polls/approval ratings are not favoring him right now, and there's something in November that's happening, that he is really sensitive about.   You can read CR for what that is.

Plus, the national news is really starting to pay attention to South Texas.

Be nice if they would figure out how many of the hospitalized/deaths on border counties are Americans versus Mexican nationals coming over to use our hospitals.  Really should not be that hard to determine.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

People can do whatever they want, ultimately. But if you want to drag this thing out longer, please send your kids to camp. 

Ive had to intubate covid patients and assist with running vents at the hospitals we staff. It just sucks that some of the people im treating that are dying are dying because people want to send their kids to camp... or want to have a backyard bbq with another few families.... or share a beach house with their in laws... etc

I have twin 4.5 year olds, and really its pretty fucking easy to keep em happy. Zoom play dates, hitting state parks, beach state parks, having them do “schoolwork/crafts”, fishing, teaching them sports and hobbies, movie nights, etc. 

its all about choice, but sending kids to camp is the same as not wearing a mask in public to me

Lol. I figured. Non school age, and twins no less. Built in playmates. Makes it really easy to discount the effect that the last four months has had on older kids.

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Always trying to gloss over the numbers and make it seems less terrible.

And people like you are always trying to make them worse.  Something pretty fucking obvious is going on in our border counties that almost no one is talking about.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, people are fucking dying.  Human beings.  Your fellow man.  Why is it somehow better if they're Mexican citizens?

I am not saying we should not be treating them.  But if you have not noticed, there is a lot of talk about outbreaks in border states right now.  And blame being placed on those states.  Texas, Arizona and California cannot do shit about Mexican nationals entering the country and using our healthcare facilities.

I don't believe they should be counted as USA or Texas deaths or hospitalizations.  They should be on Mexico's ledger.  No more than if we shipped all our infected people across the Rio Grande and then reported zero cases, hospitalizations or deaths.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, people are fucking dying.  Human beings.  Your fellow man.  Why is it somehow better if they're Mexican citizens?

What an absurdly quaint take.

Everyone knows that "America first" means that it's okay if countless "other people" die, so long as one American is slightly better off because of it - -and they sure don't count.  And, I mean, discount the fact that when all is said and done, hundreds of thousands of Americans will be dead from this disease, too.  They were just casualties we had to suffer, and we should blame them all on a foreign country as well.

American responsibility and costs: 0

Foreign country responsibility and costs: infinity

Maths is easy!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

I am not saying we should not be treating them.  But if you have not noticed, there is a lot of talk about outbreaks in border states right now.  And blame being placed on those states.  Texas, Arizona and California cannot do shit about Mexican nationals entering the country and using our healthcare facilities.
I don't believe they should be counted as USA or Texas deaths or hospitalizations.  They should be on Mexico's ledger.  No more than if we shipped all our infected people across the Rio Grande and then reported zero cases, hospitalizations or deaths.

Mexico is getting slammed.. they have about at a quarter of our deaths with only 8% of the cases.

If Mexico had americas case total, they’d be at like 500k deaths the way they’re going

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Mexico is getting slammed.. they have about at a quarter of our deaths with only 8% of the cases.

If Mexico had americas case total, they’d be at like 500k deaths the way they’re going

There is no way our case count methodology is apples to apples with Mexico.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

And people like you are always trying to make them worse.  Something pretty fucking obvious is going on in our border counties that almost no one is talking about.  

It’s been talked about for a long time. The Valley has some of the highest rates of obesity and diabetes in the country. It isn’t surprising seeing them being hit hard. But I guess the boogeyman immigrant must be the cause. 

• immamac changed the title to COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such