2020 MLB thread

ss13

29 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I get it.  We need to keep antiquated systems forever because people have guaranteed jobs doing old timey things.  But those guaranteed jobs don't have to be exactly what they are doing.  They can sit in the replay booth and get paid instead, and fewer replacements can be hired as current umps retire.  Same thing the NYC MTA needs to do in order to have modern driverless trains that run on time.  Umpire union should be way easier to break than the MTA union.

It’s been broken once already. Richie Phillips out front shoulda told you. 

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

I get it.  We need to keep antiquated systems forever because people have guaranteed jobs doing old timey things.  

The game started its downhill descent when they moved away from the old timey flat glove.

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Rob Manfred already maneuvering to blame the players.

Wow.

Based on what I’ve seen on a few games and the stories coming out on the Marlins, the players shoulder a large chunk of the blame. Not sure why you’re surprised at that when they had one side of the deal to hold up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

Based on what I’ve seen on a few games and the stories coming out on the Marlins, the players shoulder a large chunk of the blame. Not sure why you’re surprised at that when they had one side of the deal to hold up.

And that means he has to throw them under the bus publicly?

this isn't about high-fiving, spitting, or sunflower seeds.  this is supposed to be a fucking bubble.  with the bubble mentality, you have to have everyone completely isolated, so that once you're on the field, you can safely assume nobody has it.  if/when somebody tests positive, the whole system basically collapses on itself, and will take weeks to rebound, essentially screwing the integrity of the season.

my wife's office is her and one other girl.  and i overhear her talking to her mother about safety concerns, wiping down counters and desks, not sharing mugs, glasses, etc.  it's ridiculous.  all that matters is that this other girl is being safe on her own time, and not going out to restaurants/bars/airports/ride-sharing.  once they're both in the office, you have to assume she's safe.  and you also have to assume that if this girl gets it, my wife will also get it, even if they're wiping down the counters.

players had the ability to opt out.  the ones who chose to play should be in an actual restricted bubble situation where they're only around each other.  they made the rules so simple that the system broke during the first weekend.  you don't need 4 pages to tell players, "don't fucking go anywhere".

2020 is awesome.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

I get it.  We need to keep antiquated systems forever because people have guaranteed jobs doing old timey things.  But those guaranteed jobs don't have to be exactly what they are doing.  They can sit in the replay booth and get paid instead, and fewer replacements can be hired as current umps retire.  Same thing the NYC MTA needs to do in order to have modern driverless trains that run on time.  Umpire union should be way easier to break than the MTA union.

Oh no doubt.

i’m completely with you. 
but there was no way it was going to happen for this year with the shitshow of everything else going on

On 7/31/2020 at 11:28 AM, Mo Horn said:

That's probably very similar to what was asked when the proposal first came to shut down the country. Are we really going to shut down the country with only a handful of people dying. We now have over 150K dead. I'm as big of a baseball as anyone, but saving what's left of the season is not worth it. 

A lot has changed since Covid started with many therapeutic treatments, and doctors having a better understanding of the virus. The biggest negligence so far is what New York and New Jersey did, when you consider that 40% of the deaths occurred in nursing homes. I am all for mask wearing when you can't social distance, and washing your hands. I am fine with giving up the ability to attend all sporting events until a vaccine. Players are going to have to sacrifice a little to get through this thing.

Baseball had a 0.2% positive test percentage this past week, outside of the Marlins, baseball has done about as good of job as they could.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 5

4 hours ago, Brew said:

Yup. Players refused a bubble then the Marlins went out and licked every doorknob in Atlanta. Good job, morons.

Phillies still ZERO positives, now six days removed from Marlins interaction...looks like the on-field sport is safe
zbHrUxdKKrOxDAV-400x225-noPad.jpg.37a260a672b5b5a16f58011e1ddb4a08.jpg
Like I have been saying....if you know how the virus is transmitted, which everyone fucking should at this point, then the chances the Phillies players got it from playing against the Marlins was super low.

The chance of anyone contracting it once at the field is low based on the protocols set forth by mlb, but unfortunately just like my job(and probably everyone elses) no one can control individuals when they leave. It is up to each one of the players/personnel to not be a dipshit....and let's face it that is just unrealistic because there are way too many dipshits in the world.

There's a lot of options and a long way to go between here and season cancellation, if MLB really wants to play out the season.  Within the next week or two we could see at least one or more Power 5's cancel their cfb season, instantly opening up slots for more tv.  So this whole rush to finish the season and playoffs before Nov. seems less important.  Quarantine teams as needed, spread out the schedules as needed, flip series schedule as needed, adjust.  Simplify the remaining schedule to only division games with long home/home series.  They can easily tighten up safety protocols and enforcement, even mask every player the entire time if actually required.  It can be done if the will is there. (Phrasing!)  

If enough teams test positive, do a 2 or 3 week pause and reset to the 3 site bubbles.  If a lot of players still don't want to commit to the 2 to 4 months of a bubble, fine, they can individually opt out.  I'd be quite satisfied to watch a mlb season with a majority of minor leaguer callups if that is what is takes. 

Yes, 3 site bubbles can work.  There are 2 enclosed stadiums each in both FL and TX.  You can do 3 games a day per stadium, there's only 5 games a day per region in a max regular schedule, so there's room for a makeup game or double header.  LA or the Bay Area would be fine for the west bubble.  Phoenix could also work, 3 inside and 2 outside late evening games between Pac time zone teams (Arizona is effectively on Pacific time in summer, Denver is only 1 hour ahead, so only the 2 Texas teams would need to stay in the 2 early slots of Chase Field.)  In less than 3 weeks the games starting at 7:10pm Pacific will be after sundown in Phoenix.  Still hot, but manageable.  The 'dry heat' does make a big difference when the sun isn't beating down on you.

Florida will have the hurricane risk, might be better to do the east bubble in NYC or DC.  And outdoor stadiums may be slightly lower risk than indoor.  Move the central bubble to Chicago?

Division only 6 bubbles might be logistically harder in some respects, but could allow for lower impacts of any breakout.  Can quarantine an entire division for 2 weeks and a reset.  Lengthens the season, but doable and allows other divisions to play and provide tv content.

But of course that depends on if the owners really want to finish the season.

Edited by clapclapclap

The Cardinals turned out to be one player and three staff FWIW. But now they PPD their entire Brewers series to be safe. I guess the Cards will be on daily tests like PHI/MIA last week. Hopefully we at least learned the Indians and Twins aren't necessarily in danger for having played them recently.

8 hours ago, Dewey said:

Anyone got a closer they can lone the Cubs?

No shit. Cubbies cost me an entertainment 4 team parlay yesterday. 3 games in, just need the cubs -1.5 and they enter 9th leading 4-0. Nope. that Ryan dickbag promptly coughs up 3 runs. 

Atlanta and the gravitational pull of strip club wings might have been too much. Braves/Mets on TBS right now. 

Of the newish parks I've visited in the past couple of years, the Braves one is pretty kickass. They have a Waffle House food stand in the concourse.