Planes, Trains, and Automobiles Remake

MillerEP

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

I like Kevin Hart's stand up and I like him on late night shows and podcasts.  I've never laughed at one of his movies.

Pretty much this.  I enjoy listening to his standup sets on satellite radio.  I'll probably break down and buy one of his digital standup specials eventually.  But he's not funny in movies.  Or I should say that the movies he's a feature in, never fail to be unfunny.  Plus, there's a handful of homosexual wisecracks in the original PTA.  Hart can't go anywhere near those jokes for the sake of his career.  

Edited by Lobo

50 minutes ago, slorch said:

No wonder you got lost...  

LOL.

I think we seriously just did it because we'd made that boring-ass I-70/I-35 drive SO many times... we figured "what the hell?"   Yeah - four jackass college students on a road trip trying a route they had never driven before and most of the drive would be in total darkness.  What could possibly go wrong?  :D 

Hart and Smith are fine in regulated doses.  Smith has played 3 characters in about 20 odd movies which has worked for his bank/audiences for a while.   They should recast it with Henry Cavil and Chris Evans.  Or Fat Thor.   

Maybe we can get Tyler Perry to remake 1941, but in reverse with the Sub being skippered by Ice Cube and the Ken Jeong in a Mitsubishi Zero.

Haven't seen any of the Jumanji remakes, he was good in the movie he made with Cranston as his caretaker.  It wasn't a comedy but much like Martin did in Life, he turned in a good performance for a serious role.  I'll admit I thought he was good in those bits he did with Conan and Ice Cube.  

23 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Ha... my favorite story about this is when a group of friends and I were driving back from a ski trip from Colorado to Stillwater when I was in college.  We stupidly decided to take the route through New Mexico and the Oklahoma panhandle instead of I-70 to I-35... I don't recall why...

Anyway, there was some town in New Mexico where we needed to take a certain highway that would take us to the Oklahoma panhandle... the other one went south toward Texas.

It was the middle of the night and at some point we were driving and I was looking at the map and was like, "I don't think we're on the right road..." An argument ensued.... We drove another 30-40 miles and then hit the sign that said, "WELCOME TO TEXAS"..... I was like... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.  :D:D

It's gotten a little better recently, but it's absolutely amazing how little road signage there was in New Mexico, even just a few years ago. Easy to miss your turns ... and we have.

3 hours ago, wood said:

It's gotten a little better recently, but it's absolutely amazing how little road signage there was in New Mexico, even just a few years ago. Easy to miss your turns ... and we have.

LOL yeah... and my thing happened circa 1996 in the middle of the night, lol. 

Personally, I find the idea of remaking PT&A completely ridiculous. 

Having said that, one thing I've learned from having a black partner for many years is this.......black folks aren't huge fans of white comedians. I'm not sure why this is. Kind of in the same way men aren't huge fans of female comedians. 

Go to a Dave Chappell, Cedric the Entertainer, Chris Rock live show and you'll find lots of white folks in the audience. 

Go to a Jerry Seinfeld, Jim Gaffigan, Brian Regan, Steve Martin show.....no black folks. (Don't get me started on Gary Owen) 

I think this carries over to black remakes of 'white' films. Doesn't seem like the payout would be worth it but it's made Tyler Perry a very rich man. 

• Fuck You 1

On 8/21/2020 at 5:56 PM, Apep said:

He was good in the first Jumanji remake, (I haven't seen the second), and he has a lot of decent voice roles.

To be fair to the Jumanji remakes (and Hart was funny in these), they were complete re-imaginings of the original. Wasn't like casting Kevin Hart as the Robin Williams character and having him redo it. (helps 1st Jumanji movie kind of sucked - but it hewed closer to the children's book)

The issue with a PTR reboot is that Will Smith will be unable to play the bumbling, angry schmuck that Steve Martin played. Smith is much like Tom Cruise in that where Cruise has to play the "Best of everything guy - bartender, race car driver, spy, fighter pilot etc" Smith has to play (90% of time) the "too cool, wry, sarcastic smirk guy". He is just flat out wrong guy for this role. Hart can certainly play the sidekick as that is the niche he has carved out for himself, but he also doesn't have the real warmth that John Candy did.

If they want to do a Will Smith/Kevin Hart buddy movie then fine, just fucking do that, making that buddy movie and calling it "Plans, Trains & Automobiles" is the problem.

Hollywood sucks.

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

To be fair to the Jumanji remakes (and Hart was funny in these), they were complete re-imaginings of the original. Wasn't like casting Kevin Hart as the Robin Williams character and having him redo it. (helps 1st Jumanji movie kind of sucked - but it hewed closer to the children's book)

The issue with a PTR reboot is that Will Smith will be unable to play the bumbling, angry schmuck that Steve Martin played. Smith is much like Tom Cruise in that where Cruise has to play the "Best of everything guy - bartender, race car driver, spy, fighter pilot etc" Smith has to play (90% of time) the "too cool, wry, sarcastic smirk guy". He is just flat out wrong guy for this role. Hart can certainly play the sidekick as that is the niche he has carved out for himself, but he also doesn't have the real warmth that John Candy did.

If they want to do a Will Smith/Kevin Hart buddy movie then fine, just fucking do that, making that buddy movie and calling it "Plans, Trains & Automobiles" is the problem.

Hollywood sucks.

Nailed it. 

On 8/20/2020 at 7:21 PM, Underdog said:

PTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Star Wars.  

Quite possibly... possibly... the dumbest thing ever posted on this board.  And I don't say that lightly.  Just think about everything Greenspoint alone has posted and you start to scratch at the magnitude of the statement.  We may have to send this to a lab to analyze.

Please note - I like Planes, Trains and Automobiles.  A lot.  It's a damn good film.  If there were a single > in that statement, I would let it go and chalk it up to personal preference.  Maybe even >>.  But >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>?  That's just dumb and should be grounds for revoking citizenship.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bumping to see if anybody knows a place to watch the movie for free today or tomorrow.  Always have a hard time finding it.  I don't know why we don't own it.  

RIP, Del.  And a Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.  Safe travels for us all.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Bumping to see if anybody knows a place to watch the movie for free today or tomorrow.  Always have a hard time finding it.  I don't know why we don't own it.  

I could have sworn I saw it on Hulu earlier this month. Of course it dropped off it right before Thanksgiving. 

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/planes-trains-and-automobiles

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Buy it on Amazon Prime, big dog. Then you won't be having to search for it every year. I bought PTA and Christmas Vacation for this exact reason. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have no idea what our AmazonPrime account login shit is.  I don't buy things except food and booze.  I'm gonna stream it and be done.

If I call my wife to ask what the login is while she's out of town, she'll know I'm gonna buy a movie and sit in the dark, half-drunk, alone, and laugh and cry without her.  This movie is my Thanksgiving treat to myself.  Reminds me of how hard my late father and I laughed at it when we watched it together all those years ago.  Couple more years, I can watch it with my oldest.  For now, it's my ritual by myself.  She'll say something like, "Oh, wait to watch it when you get here to Fort Worth...my sisters will all think it's hilarious."  But they won't because they're wonderful people, but they have no sense of humor and they won't shut the fuck up during the funniest/warmest parts of the movie.

Tomorrow, I'll traverse the road to get to my family for Thanksgiving, just like Neal Page.  Hopefully with fewer hiccups along the way.

To all the Del Griffiths out there in America...slow down and stop.  Take a break from heartache and pain.  Be thankful for what we do have, not what we don't have.  

And if your next baby come out sideways, be strong...don't scream or nuthin'! 

21 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Should be ran as a marathon much like A Christmas Story is on TBS.  

Marathon Car Rental is what keeps this from happening in the first place.

"May I see your TV syndication agreement?"
"I threw it away!" 

"Oh, boy..." 

"Oh boy, what?"
"You're fucked."

Edited by Lobo

The heart of PTA is family, loneliness, and being kind to your fellow man. A family man and a annoying lonely man travel together to get home for thanksgiving. What we don’t know is annoying man doesn’t have a family. That’s the feels. 

Will Smith and Kevin Hart will be fine. Will Smith is the Everyman, and Hart is indeed annoying as fuck. 

Will it come close to the original? No. Because John Candy is one of a kind. Steve Martin too, but the role of Del want meant for John Candy. The role of man, a decent man, but because he’s a little annoying, a little fat, a little ugly, unkept, cheap, whatever adjective you want to use, is alone without family. I have a hard time feeling sorry for Kevin Hart being alone on Thanksgiving 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Will it come close to the original? No. Because John Candy is one of a kind. Steve Martin too, but the role of Del want meant for John Candy. The role of man, a decent man, but because he’s a little annoying, a little fat, a little ugly, unkept, cheap, whatever adjective you want to use, is alone without family. I have a hard time feeling sorry for Kevin Hart being alone on Thanksgiving 

All of that. 

No way this doesn't suck. Agree that Smith and Hart totally miscast for all the reasons above. If you have to do a black remake, Anthony Anderson would be perfect for the Steve Martin character ... agree too that not sure John Candy can be replaced. Maybe do a re-imagine vs. a re-make (agree the Jumanji movies were fantastic).

15 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

No way this doesn't suck. Agree that Smith and Hart totally miscast for all the reasons above. If you have to do a black remake, Anthony Anderson would be perfect for the Steve Martin character ... agree too that not sure John Candy can be replaced. Maybe do a re-imagine vs. a re-make (agree the Jumanji movies were fantastic).

Denzel as Neal and Terence Howard as Del.   He's neurotic enough to pull it off.  

Melissa McCarthy would make a pretty good Del actually, better than Kevin Hart anyway.  She basically played Del Griffith in that buddy road-trip movie with Jason Bateman.