Cowboys @ Rams: Week 1

Vic Mackey

29 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Neutral opinion:

The OPI was soft and at a really bad time.

And the Cowboys got away with a blatant shot to Goff's face on a big interception earlier.

Bad calls happen.

The league is not, and never was, trying to screw over one of its biggest brands.  That's the weirdest conspiracy theory ever.

Sorry y'all lost.  

I mean if you gave me the option to get a pick off a missed call in the 3rd quarter vs a bullshit phantom PI call that completely wipes out the biggest play of the game for the other team with like 30 seconds left on the clock, i'm going with option two. But yeah all bad calls are the same.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I mean if you gave me the option to get a pick off a missed call in the 3rd quarter vs a bullshit phantom PI call that completely wipes out the biggest play of the game for the other team with like 30 seconds left on the clock, i'm going with option two. But yeah all bad calls are the same.

Yea, jesus christ people are stupid. A call in the last 20 seconds of a game is just a wee bit different than one with over 16 minutes left to play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Seriously this! Is there anything more annoying than the “one call doesn’t determine the outcome of a game” “remember such and such call/non-call” “bad calls happen” yadda yadda blah blah people? Yes one call can determine a game by two evenly matched opponents. There’s nothing wrong with holding refs accountable. You shouldn’t have to win in-spite of bad officiating  

Edited by A’Dam Psycho

17 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah, that's not what I said.

The point is that calls get missed.  And they go against the Cowboys pretty much exactly as often as they go for the Cowboys over a large enough sample. 

I'm not saying y'all didn't get hosed tonight.  I'm saying there is no conspiracy against the Cowboys.  Look at some of the comments upthread.  Come on, man.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, that's not what I said.

The point is that calls get missed.  And they go against the Cowboys pretty much exactly as often as they go for the Cowboys over a large enough sample. 

I'm not saying y'all didn't get hosed tonight.  I'm saying there is no conspiracy against the Cowboys.  Look at some of the comments upthread.  Come on, man.

Gonna need to see some actual evidence to back up your stupid claim. Would you like the evidence that shows the cowboys routinely get fucked by obscure and rarely called penalties, especially on significant plays in significant games? Let me start you off with just a little appetizer from last year: 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/11/24/20981030/cowboys-patriots-tripping-penalty-nfl-refs

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-admits-controversial-penalties-on-cowboys-in-their-loss-to-patriots-should-not-have-been-called/

Or how about a couple  years before. If you believe that the cowboys are the only team to commit holding, I've got some oceanfront property to sell you in Norman.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/20/cowboys-opponents-havent-had-holding-penalty-on-pass-play-since-week-2/

I could do this all day. One of my favorites is the ridiculous offense player in the huddle call that hasn't been called in 40+ years. Or gathering the ball before a game winning field goal penalty against the redskins that hadn't been called in 15 years of doing the exact same motion....

The point is, if you watch a cowboys game that's close, you are likely to some penalties that would not normally be called in an nfl game.  And this happens year after year, and usually after a big or critical play. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I didn't mind going for it on 4th down there early in the 4th qtr. There were nearly 12 minutes left in the game at the time, the defense had actually started playing well, and we got 2 more possessions after the play. Those are the types of game situations where I'd prefer my team go for it. There's a bit of results based logic going on in this thread. We as a fan base have been begging for a more aggressive mindset from our coach and unfortunately losing the ball on downs is part of the risk when those choices are made. A TD there would've totally changed the offensive mindset of the Rams and potentially would've forced them to think about becoming more aggressive. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Gonna need to see some actual evidence to back up your stupid claim. Would you like the evidence that shows the cowboys routinely get fucked by obscure and rarely called penalties, especially on significant plays in significant games? Let me start you off with just a little appetizer from last year: 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/11/24/20981030/cowboys-patriots-tripping-penalty-nfl-refs

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-admits-controversial-penalties-on-cowboys-in-their-loss-to-patriots-should-not-have-been-called/

Or how about a couple  years before. If you believe that the cowboys are the only team to commit holding, I've got some oceanfront property to sell you in Norman.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/20/cowboys-opponents-havent-had-holding-penalty-on-pass-play-since-week-2/

I could do this all day. One of my favorites is the ridiculous offense player in the huddle call that hasn't been called in 40+ years. Or gathering the ball before a game winning field goal penalty against the redskins that hadn't been called in 15 years of doing the exact same motion....

The point is, if you watch a cowboys game that's close, you are likely to some penalties that would not normally be called in an nfl game.  And this happens year after year, and usually after a big or critical play. 

Dont forget the squeezing the ball too hard penalty by our long snapper a few years ago

https://www.nfl.com/news/l-p-ladouceur-on-penalty-never-had-that-before-0ap3000000977354#:~:text=The Cowboys lined up to,left upright as time expired.

Or the huddle penalty against Brice Butler versus Green Bay in the playoffs. 

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/01/19/nfl-admits-mistake-on-huddle-penalty-on-brice-butler/#:~:text=DALLAS (105.3 The Fan) –,shouldn't have been called.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they were hand fighting and ramsey arm bars gallups arm and then gallup pushes to free his hand.  obvious no call before the ginboli/NBA head whip from the pussy Ramsey. would have at least tied the game there.

Alright, I've had enough of your besmirching of Emanuel Fucking Ginobili!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We can complain about that call, but it’s one play. One play where a case can be made that the call should’ve been made. It was ticky tack, but the nfl can definitely say they got that call right. Our defense couldn’t stop the run to save their life and we were 3-13 on 3rd downs. So the defense still can’t stop the run and the offense still isn’t clutch over the course of a game. Oh and it happened against a team that’ll probably finish above .500 and make the playoffs. So far, this team is the Spider-Man meme of last years squad. Good thing we have a desperate Atlanta team and a Seattle team that is “letting Russ cook”

And for as much as I’d like to blame the defense, THIS team should never lose a game where we hold a team to 20 points. Not with tHe BeSt oFfEnSe in football. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

13 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

We can complain about that call, but it’s one play. One play where a case can be made that the call should’ve been made. It was ticky tack, but the nfl can definitely say they got that call right. Our defense couldn’t stop the run to save their life and we were 3-13 on 3rd downs. So the defense still can’t stop the run and the offense still isn’t clutch over the course of a game. Oh and it happened against a team that’ll probably finish above .500 and make the playoffs. So far, this team is the Spider-Man meme of last years squad. Good thing we have a desperate Atlanta team and a Seattle team that is “letting Russ cook”

3.8 yards per rush for la on 40 attempts. 

Dallas was 5.0 yards per rush, for comparison sake. 

offense being unclutch is right, but their most clutch play was eliminated by a flag so questionable that noted cowboys hater Chris collinsworth said it was a bad call. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

3.8 yards per rush for la on 40 attempts. 

Dallas was 5.0 yards per rush, for comparison sake. 

offense being unclutch is right, but their most clutch play was eliminated by a flag so questionable that noted cowboys hater Chris collinsworth said it was a bad call. 

I didn’t agree with the call, but a case can be made that it was OPI. Like, the call wasn’t so terrible that we should be crying that we got fucked. Ramsey got beat, but he made a veteran savvy move and flopped/sold the call because Gallup definitely extended his arm. 

And for some reason that 3.8 ypc seemed worse for some reason. But if there’s one positive takeaway from this game, Zeke looks like 2016-2018 Zeke.

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Hell yea it is week1 and already in late season NFL fucked the cowboys form. 

Some of y'all seem like little bitches throwing a tantrum. The refs didn't screw you. Your team did not play well and lost to an inferior opponent. 

Rams played better than they are, but they still probably finish last in the NFC west.

Dallas played worse than their potential, but haven't proven fuck all so the entitlement is bizarre. They will probably still win the garbage NFC east with a 9 win season. Unless the injury to Vanderthing really fucks with your chemistry on D then might drop a few more you shouldn't, i doubt that though. This team rides and dies with it's offense.

2 hours ago, cam4mav said:

Some of y'all seem like little bitches throwing a tantrum. The refs didn't screw you. Your team did not play well and lost to an inferior opponent. 

Rams played better than they are, but they still probably finish last in the NFC west.

Dallas played worse than their potential, but haven't proven fuck all so the entitlement is bizarre. They will probably still win the garbage NFC east with a 9 win season. Unless the injury to Vanderthing really fucks with your chemistry on D then might drop a few more you shouldn't, i doubt that though. This team rides and dies with it's offense.

If you think that bogus penalty didn’t “screw” the cowboys then you should probably watch the replay with your glasses on. Ramsey initiated the contact after he got beat by grabbing Gallop’s arm, Gallop frees his arm and doesn’t fully extend his arm it at all. They dont call unless you extend the arm, which he clearly didnt do. They also usually dont call it if the defender initiated the hand fighting. So yea, it was a bad call that cost the cowboys the game. 

What some of you are saying is any bad penalty that happens at the end of close game doesn't matter and isn’t the reason a team lost because they should have played better in the beginning of a game. 

Wtf? Let’s just let the refs and players do whatever at the end of a game because it doesn't matter and they should’ve won the game in 3rd quarter. 

Does that mean Swift’s drop didn’t cost the Lions a win because they should've won earlier? 

Plays at the end of a game are far more critical than earlier plays because you don’t have time to makeup or overcome mistakes. 

14 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

It wasnt an intentional missed call. The ref was behind the play, saw the receiver have his arm straight out, then saw the DB lean back as if pushed hard and made an assumption. It was that simple. 

Over the years, it seems that none of the questionable/bad calls against the cowboys at the end of games are intentional. It's really an unfortunate coincidence that it keeps happening. 

6 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Over the years, it seems that none of the questionable/bad calls against the cowboys at the end of games are intentional. It's really an unfortunate coincidence that it keeps happening. 

How many other teams do you watch every single game? 

I mean it's not like the Saints had a super bowl appearance robbed from them on a far worse call than that one. Every week a team or two gets robbed on bad or missed calls. The game has too many very vague judgement calls and is far more difficult to officiate than other sports

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

How many other teams do you watch every single game? 

I mean it's not like the Saints had a super bowl appearance robbed from them on a far worse call than that one. Every week a team or two gets robbed on bad or missed calls. The game has too many very vague judgement calls and is far more difficult to officiate than other sports

I watch at least 10 games a week, so over 60% of them. That gives me a pretty good sample size. There's egregious stuff like the saints game, and also textbook calls like the AJ Green's OPI yesterday. 

I also see them go 11 straight games without any holding calls against cowboy's opponents. 

Neutral opinion:
The OPI was soft and at a really bad time.
And the Cowboys got away with a blatant shot to Goff's face on a big interception earlier.
Bad calls happen.
The league is not, and never was, trying to screw over one of its biggest brands.  That's the weirdest conspiracy theory ever.
Sorry y'all lost.  

To be fair you are a Texan fan so not neutral...

I thought the game was called fairly but the OPI was BS. They missed the hand to Goffs helmet, stuff gets missed all the time but that OPI was out in the open and just an obvious fake head bob by Ramsey and they bought it

32 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I watch at least 10 games a week, so over 60% of them. That gives me a pretty good sample size. There's egregious stuff like the saints game, and also textbook calls like the AJ Green's OPI yesterday. 

I also see them go 11 straight games without any holding calls against cowboy's opponents. 

You learn a lot about the rule book watching Cowboys games, especially in the 4th quarter.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

To be fair you are a Texan fan so not neutral...

I thought the game was called fairly but the OPI was BS. They missed the hand to Goffs helmet, stuff gets missed all the time but that OPI was out in the open and just an obvious fake head bob by Ramsey and they bought it

The ref was trailing the play and the receiver extended his arm all the way. Receivers should be drilled repeatedly to never extend the arm. When the ref sees the fully extended arm it's almost always an automatic call. 

“I can tell you it was clear and obvious on the field, of a hand into the opposing player,” referee Tony Corrente said in defending the call. “A full arm extension that created separation. In all situations that would be called. We’re not going to allow that at any time of the game.”

https://news360world.com/cowboys-cry-foul-on-late-call-ref-calls-it-obvious/

The ref was trailing the play and the receiver extended his arm all the way. Receivers should be drilled repeatedly to never extend the arm. When the ref sees the fully extended arm it's almost always an automatic call. 
“I can tell you it was clear and obvious on the field, of a hand into the opposing player,” referee Tony Corrente said in defending the call. “A full arm extension that created separation. In all situations that would be called. We’re not going to allow that at any time of the game.”

Wow a ref defending a call by another ref, amazing. So now ask him if a DB who is best can grab a WR to catch up to him.

34 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Tough to get the ball down the field when Brockers & Donald are beating your new look line to death.   

Yeah I was pretty surprised to see someone in this thread last night spouting off about the Cowboys' line being overrated this year. It's not rated by anyone, anymore. We've got Martin (still great), Smith (good but definitely past his peak), Looney and Connor (two JAGs as much as that pains me to say), and an UDFA who impressed nobody in camp. This ain't 2015.

13 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Fax!

Yup. We didn’t have lose because of an OPI that could easily be justified by league officials. We lost because our offense that hasn’t been clutch for a year went 3-12 on 3rd down in a game where our defense was already struggling to get off the field to begin with. It’s laughable to think anyone would blame that call on why we lost last night. We scored 17 points lol. This “40 burger” offense that we’ve been touting all offseason. 17 points. And now we get two offenses that are probably better:

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Yeah I was pretty surprised to see someone in this thread last night spouting off about the Cowboys' line being overrated this year. It's not rated by anyone, anymore. We've got Martin (still great), Smith (good but definitely past his peak), Looney and Connor (two JAGs as much as that pains me to say), and an UDFA who impressed nobody in camp. This ain't 2015.

Collins is one of the best tackles in the league. When you replace Collins with a rookie UDFA, you’re gonna have a bad time. When healthy, 3 of our 5 offensive lineman are better than most of the offensive lineman in the league. 3 of 5 guys are all pro. When Collins is healthy, as long as those other two guys are on the field, our offensive line is better than most

Regarding the call, I tend to be pretty sympathetic to the officials in any sport. It's a damn tough job they're asked to do and demanding absolute perfection is unrealistic.

That said, it's mystifying to me why fans sitting on their couches at home have the benefit of slow-mo replays in 1080p from 4 different angles, but refs have to make split second calls at game speed that decide the outcome of the game with no backup. Maybe that call was reviewable and it just wasn't for some reason - I have no idea what the rule is or how it's applied at this point. I suspect that refs themselves are the biggest opponent of reviewing stuff like that, because they don't want to be second-guessed constantly. That's where my sympathy ends, if that's the case. They get paid a shitload of money to work 3 hours a week. A fair outcome to the game is a lot more important to me than their pride.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Tough to get the ball down the field when Brockers & Donald are beating your new look line to death.   

Donald will beat anyone he lines up against.  He is a freak of nature and a 1st ballot HOFer.  I watched Hard Knocks this year.  Jalen Ramsey ran a long interception back in one of their scrimmages.  He lateraled to Donald right before he crossed the goal line.  Donald is 280 lbs and he kept pace with Jalen Ramsey on a long ass int return down the field.

Edited by kevwun

We’ve handled Aaron Donald the last 2 times we’ve played him, but that was never going to last. He’s better than anyone on our oline (including Martin). And with another guy on the dline that we have to respect, it was just a matter of time before he had the disruptive game against us that he’s had his entire career against other team. 

12 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Regarding the call, I tend to be pretty sympathetic to the officials in any sport. It's a damn tough job they're asked to do and demanding absolute perfection is unrealistic.

That said, it's mystifying to me why fans sitting on their couches at home have the benefit of slow-mo replays in 1080p from 4 different angles, but refs have to make split second calls at game speed that decide the outcome of the game with no backup. Maybe that call was reviewable and it just wasn't for some reason - I have no idea what the rule is or how it's applied at this point. I suspect that refs themselves are the biggest opponent of reviewing stuff like that, because they don't want to be second-guessed constantly. That's where my sympathy ends, if that's the case. They get paid a shitload of money to work 3 hours a week. A fair outcome to the game is a lot more important to me than their pride.

I also don't recall what the PI review rules are, but I would guess inside 2 minutes have to come from upstairs, and they hardly every overturned the on the field ruling.  It should have been reviewed if that's the case, but there is zero chance it's overturned.  There was clear arm extension and Ramsey sold it by leaning backwards.  It was a weak call at best, but evidence is there for a by the book OPI ruling.  

2 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Let's take the ref's word for it and not use our own eyes. 

Coming from a Houston fan I understand. You guys are conditioned to believe that flopping around like you got shot anytime someone touches you is good for the sport. 

Ramsey hooked and grabbed his arm with the ball in the air. That's pass interference, full stop. Gallop freeing his arm and pushing him away is not OPI. 

Just admit it, it was a bad call. Even cowboys hater Collinsworth agreed along with the Terry McAulay and Al Michaels.