Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

Question for the lawyers...

If the lady had died, could her husband have brought a wrongful death suit against the state? The Texas law denied her a Constitutionally protected procedure and she died as a result. Shouldn't that open the up to damages?

I know I'm not the first to bring this up, but I don't know that I've ever heard an answer.

She was denied the procedure even though she didn’t die. She should sue even though she would lose.

To Seago (in the tweet above), though, this makes perfect sense. He states that it would be an "act of violence on an innocent victim" and given that Anna and her husband were in the ER on the night of their wedding, his worldview is such that the baby's condition and existence is the product of that sinful woman having sex and getting knocked up before being married. Any pain, suffering, or death a woman such as that experiences is God's way of saying, "this is your fault and you got justice" because the act of abortion is an 'injustice.'

It's very punitive for a reason.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

It starts out as a political grandstanding, throwing red meat to MAGA morons.  But I thought it was a fucking deepfake (whatever the fuck you call it) when the guy asks if family members can receive compensation for incest.  I mean, last time I checked...incest means "family members"...that's kinda the whole point of the word. 

I was today years old when elected officials in America asked if family members can take legal action in the case of incest.  But not in the way I thought.  

This is amazing.  I literally think of bizarre scenarios for a living.  I am a hired gun to de-risk businesses and campaigns and I'm pretty fucking good at it.  And I would never have imagined anything like this if you gave me a billion dollars and a decade to contemplate scenarios on an idyllic beach.  

5 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

"...And What judge Jackson believes remains a secret."

Soooooooo, did you ever get a list of "Super Precedents" from Barrett, or are we just gonna forget about that made up term?

Ole Marsha really struggles with that whole Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness bit.  Hell, most the GOP does.

Oklahoma Legislature passes bill to make performing abortions a felony.

OKLAHOMA CITY — The state House passed a bill Tuesday that would make performing an abortion a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison. Gov. Kevin Stitt, a Republican, has said he will sign any anti-abortion rights bill sent to him. If he signs this one, it will go into effect this summer.

Another House bill, 4327, would allow private citizens to file lawsuits against doctors who perform abortions and would only allow a woman to have an abortion if her life were at stake. It now goes to the state Senate.

The state has already imposed restrictions intended to deter women from having abortions, including barring them from using health insurance to pay for the procedure except for life-saving purposes; requiring an ultrasound and state-mandated counseling that seeks to discourage abortions; and imposing a 72-hour waiting period before the procedure.

Regarding Texas:

Abortions in Texas have dropped by 60 percent since S.B. 8 went into effect, according to the Texas Health and Human Services Commission, but data from the University of Texas indicated Texas women are crossing state lines for the procedure or obtaining it by other means.

Providers from California to New York say they’re seeing an influx of patients from Texas, and the Trust Women clinics in Oklahoma City and Wichita, Kansas, said their patient load had risen significantly since the Texas bill passed.

“What we saw very immediately after S.B. 8 is we doubled our volume,” said Kailey Voellinger, clinic director at Trust Women Oklahoma City. “We went from seeing about 100 to 150 patients to almost 300 in a month.”

I am sure Kansas will up the ante any day now. Can't have TX and OK surpassing it's own idiocy. 

On 3/21/2022 at 9:41 AM, wildcat09 said:

Called it!

Marsha Wedgeworth was born in Laurel, Mississippi, to Mary Jo (Morgan) and Hilman Wedgeworth, who worked in sales and management.[3]She placed 4th during a beauty pageant in high school.[4]

Blackburn attended Mississippi State Universityon a 4-H scholarship, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in home economics 

Imagining thinking this person is qualified to be in the senate 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

$500,000 bond seems very high, it has begun ...

Anybody have any more details on this? The new law is a civil statute correct? No one can be held on criminal charges based on a civil statute can they?

29 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Anybody have any more details on this? The new law is a civil statute correct? No one can be held on criminal charges based on a civil statute can they?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/protesters-gather-outside-texas-jail-after-reported-abortion-arrest-2022-04-09/

Charged with murder. 

The law bans abortions at around six weeks, a point when many women do not yet realize they are pregnant, with no exception for pregnancies resulting from rape or incest. read more .

The Texas law enables private citizens to sue anyone who performs or assists a woman in getting an abortion after embryo cardiac activity is detected. Individual citizens can be awarded a minimum of $10,000 for successful lawsuits.

The U.S. Supreme Court in December left the ban in place but additional legal challenges are pending.

Before this week, my wife pondered how the new law would even come about, how would anyone know an abortion happened? She was like, how could the neighbors or whatever find out. But I knew. I knew some fucking Jesus believing nut job at a hospital would turn people in. The receptionist, nurse, cleaning staff, whatever. 

and like clockwork, this happened this week. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4

Before this week, my wife pondered how the new law would even come about, how would anyone know an abortion happened? She was like, how could the neighbors or whatever find out. But I knew. I knew some fucking Jesus believing nut job at a hospital would turn people in. The receptionist, nurse, cleaning staff, whatever. 

and like clockwork, this happened this week. 

Correct, but I’m still wondering what the nexus is between SB8 and a criminal murder charge.

From the Texas Penal Code section pertaining to homicide:

“Sec. 19.06. APPLICABILITY TO CERTAIN CONDUCT. This chapter does not apply to the death of an unborn child if the conduct charged is:
(1) conduct committed by the mother of the unborn child;…”
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

Correct, but I’m still wondering what the nexus is between SB8 and a criminal murder charge.

From the Texas Penal Code section pertaining to homicide:

“Sec. 19.06. APPLICABILITY TO CERTAIN CONDUCT. This chapter does not apply to the death of an unborn child if the conduct charged is:
(1) conduct committed by the mother of the unborn child;…”

SB8 legislates that 

SECTION 2. AA The legislature finds that the State of Texas never repealed, either expressly or by implication, the state statutes enacted before the ruling in Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973),that prohibit and criminalize abortion unless the mothers life is in danger. 

Under the Texas penal code 

2A TEXAS PENAL CODE art. 1191, at 429 (1961):

If any person shall designedly administer to a pregnant woman or knowingly procure to be administered with her consent any drug or medicine, or shall use towards her any violence or means whatever externally or internally applied, and thereby procure an abortion, he shall be confined in the penitentiary not less than two nor more than five years if it be done without her consent, the punishment shall be doubled. By 'abortion' is meant that the life of the fetus or embryo shall be destroyed in the woman's womb or that a premature birth thereof be caused.

• Rage+1 1

On 4/5/2022 at 4:43 PM, Foosters said:

If GOP takes back House and Senate, how long before a bill making abortion a Federal crime is up for a vote?

That would be interesting, given that murder isn't generally a Federal crime.  But I'm sure they'll think of something.  

I think Biden would veto said bill, but you never know about 2024 when Trump becomes President for LIfe and Don, Jr. takes over when he dies.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Rage+1 1

She's out on bond already.   I feel for her, because her life and the lives of her family is about to be in the middle of a shitstorm.   I don't think she did this as a publicity stunt, but I guess we will find out.

I just hope that the fucker who knocked her up without b/c gets called out too.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, pyrohornIII said:

She's out on bond already.   I feel for her, because her life and the lives of her family is about to be in the middle of a shitstorm.   I don't think she did this as a publicity stunt, but I guess we will find out.

I just hope that the fucker who knocked her up without b/c gets called out too.   

I just can't believe this is all real. unfuckingbelievable 

• Rage+1 1