Markets still falling like whoa

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It was a little sad listening to Cramer call for intervention to protect the S&P 500. Even he admitted that perhaps irrational exuberance can be partially to blame, but that we needed to protect investors in order to save the little man (non-investors.)  Very reminiscence of 2008-09.

I fully expect Cramer to get a White House posting, as Prez Drumbpf loves guys with a broadcasting background

36 minutes ago, woohorn said:

I figure the worst and I want to get out pf equity funds until after eoy.

In a mutual find enviroment,what are y'all waiting it out in? Bonds? I would be happy sitting in cash, but my guy is trying to push bond funds...

yeap, most of my my account parked in MF or ETF holding mostly treasury notes, and a tiny bit of corporate bonds

28 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

FED to make a $1T intervention.  Jesus 

That's just a band-aid measure. If workers aren't going to work, they aren't getting paid, so they aren't spending money. That'll fucking slow an economy down. Giving another trillion bucks to corporations isn't going to make them suddenly start passing it on to their workers, it'll go to the shareholders.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RCRanger03 said:

Explain this development like you would to a 5th grader, no wait I need something more basic... explain it like you would to an TexAgs poster

Over the next 3? months small meteors are going to pepper the countries of the world bringing commerce to a crawl and disrupting workers (killing some) and causing businesses to fail/falter.

How do you stop the meteors?  (and/or the impact of those meteors on business?)    -make money easier / cheaper to burrow???

Do you have confidence in the efficacy of the plan supplied by our "leaders" to address that Supply Shock? 

Will it be effective?

Are you willing to bet money on it?

https://www.marketplace.org/2020/03/12/how-the-markets-are-reacting-to-covid-19/

Edited by Loco

So our PE group is asking all their portfolio companies to pay lines down to their bank. They suspect something very bad is about to happen.  Also the CIO for Guggenheim was on CNBC and says he sees the credit markets collapsing.  The set reacted like you would expect.  I don't think my brain can even comprehend what that means?  I mean this is like the housing market shit - except EVERY FUCKING SECTOR is affected.  The end is nigh...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

So our PE group is asking all their portfolio companies to pay lines down to their bank. They suspect something very bad is about to happen.  Also the CIO for Guggenheim was on CNBC and says he sees the credit markets collapsing.  The set reacted like you would expect.  I don't think my brain can even comprehend what that means?  I mean this is like the housing market shit - except EVERY FUCKING SECTOR is affected.  The end is nigh...

Damn.  ChiTown went from sunshine to dark side in no time flat. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

... Also the CIO for Guggenheim was on CNBC and says he sees the credit markets collapsing.  ... I mean this is like the housing market shit - except EVERY FUCKING SECTOR is affected.  ...

I've been warning about this possibility for a long time (though not as vociferously lately as no one seems interested in discussing it).  Zombie businesses are (likely) finally going to die.  Credit markets are going to crater.  Banks are going to face enormous stress.  Currency crisis is not out of the question in spite of the Fed's printing press.  2008 didn't solve a damn thing.  Covid19 may have accelerated the pace to catching up the can, but you can only kick it down the road so far in a world of compounding interest and debt.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Damn.  ChiTown went from sunshine to dark side in no time flat. 

SurlyBros, you know I'm always a pump sunshine, buy the dip, ALWAYS stay in guy.  What I saw yesterday morning scared me like I've never been scared.   Not some market guru... I got a lucky fucking guess when I pulled out a good chunk of cash...that happened to be same day NBA etc started to all cancel everything.  But what I've heard since has been nothing but doom.  From actual industry experts - these people know a LOT more than me about the markets.  They're scared. 

On the medical side UofC, NW, Rush here in Chicago have nowhere to send their respiratory illness patients.  Meaning they need nursing homes / rehab centers.  These centers are all saying no.  Hard no on anything respiratory related.  The bed shortage is starting at the hospitals even before COVID even hits us hard.  

So I'm telling you that the financial guys and the medical scene looks like total fucking shit.  It's happening.  This is not a fucking joke. I still have dumbass friends laughing at it.  Don't hole up with a million guns.  You can live your life.  Just don't get together in huge groups.  Probably drop all activities in public that aren't essential.  If everyone followed these rules the medical emergency ends in 3-4 weeks and we can begin the long recovery.  If large groups of idiots don't heed epidemiologist warnings, this will turn into northern Italy which is basically hell on earth.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

SurlyBros, you know I'm always a pump sunshine, buy the dip, ALWAYS stay in guy.  What I saw yesterday morning scared me like I've never been scared.   Not some market guru... I got a lucky fucking guess when I pulled out a good chunk of cash...that happened to be same day NBA etc started to all cancel everything.  But what I've heard since has been nothing but doom.  From actual industry experts - these people know a LOT more than me about the markets.  They're scared. 

On the medical side UofC, NW, Rush here in Chicago have nowhere to send their respiratory illness patients.  Meaning they need nursing homes / rehab centers.  These centers are all saying no.  Hard no on anything respiratory related.  The bed shortage is starting at the hospitals even before COVID even hits us hard.  

So I'm telling you that the financial guys and the medical scene looks like total fucking shit.  It's happening.  This is not a fucking joke. I still have dumbass friends laughing at it.  Don't hole up with a million guns.  You can live your life.  Just don't get together in huge groups.  Probably drop all activities in public that aren't essential.  If everyone followed these rules the medical emergency ends in 3-4 weeks and we can begin the long recovery.  If large groups of idiots don't heed epidemiologist warnings, this will turn into northern Italy which is basically hell on earth.  

07B89120-B48D-45FB-AF1D-49AF6CD16790.jpe

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

1a2f9de4-e8c2-4d1e-8c6e-26fb2e7f9090_tex

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I'm not a doomsday prepper or an end of the world guy so I've never bought into anything.  I bought into this, though.  I don't know the medicine side of it but when it blew up outside of China like it did, I saw some key activity in the consumer product industry and I knew we would have a problem.  I started telling very close friends to stock up.  Meanwhile, like you, I had dumb ass friends laughing at it.

You're right, this is no fucking joke.  The math is scary and that applies to health care infrastructure as well as consumer retail infrastructure.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

I've been warning about this possibility for a long time (though not as vociferously lately as no one seems interested in discussing it).  Zombie businesses are (likely) finally going to die.  Credit markets are going to crater.  Banks are going to face enormous stress.  Currency crisis is not out of the question in spite of the Fed's printing press.  2008 didn't solve a damn thing.  Covid19 may have accelerated the pace to catching up the can, but you can only kick it down the road so far in a world of compounding interest and debt.

Well I guess it is a good thing Corona kills the boomers as this is going to wipe them the fuck out financially.

My client in a suburb (30 mins) of Atlanta still seems to want to meet in person week after next vs. virtually and the female VP of my subject area basically called me a chump for dropping a "maybe we'll do it virtually" line in there. It's a fairly big meeting and there's a board member I want to get face time with for some other business opportunity, but it's nothing that really loses anything by being held virtually. It's a findings presentation, just a bunch of slides.

The entire company is acting like it's business as usual even after they're having to shut down operations in various cities then re-start them as they have COVID scares with their field people. Damnedest thing.

Edited by BradInATX

39 minutes ago, Okie State said:

So...is it not too late to pull out of the market? I only have retirement accounts and am 35, but I would prefer to not have them go to zero.

You’ll be ok. Presumably you’re in a diversified mutual fund with moderate risk. Let it alone and pay closer attention in 20 years. If all our retirement accounts bottom out, it’ll be post apocalyptic hell anyway 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You’ll be ok. Presumably you’re in a diversified mutual fund with moderate risk. Let it alone and pay closer attention in 20 years. If all our retirement accounts bottom out, it’ll be post apocalyptic hell anyway 
Mix of domestic and foreign Vanguard and Fidelity index funds. They've gotten hammered, but what hasn't. Thankfully my company stock exposure was relatively small. At least I do have some cash in a company funded account so I have that going for me...until they go bankrupt.

At this point I know the right answer is to leave it alone and forget about it. I always feel like I'm making the wrong one on shit like this though and hindsight is a bitch.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Mix of domestic and foreign Vanguard and Fidelity index funds. They've gotten hammered, but what hasn't. Thankfully my company stock exposure was relatively small. At least I do have some cash in a company funded account so I have that going for me...until they go bankrupt.

At this point I know the right answer is to leave it alone and forget about it. I always feel like I'm making the wrong one on shit like this though and hindsight is a bitch.

Don’t just do nothing! Stand there.

You answered the question yourself with “I know the right answer.” Don’t overthink it and watch the new every hour. It will be ok and even bigger when the turn comes...and it will.

• Like 2