2021 Houston Texans offseason thread

Macklemore

I've been passively following this franchise for 20 years. This is by far the most entertainment they've provided.
And at the end of the day, isn't that the point?

Same here. Other than beating the cowboys at the beginning, jJ watt and drafting Watson this is by far the most entertainment/ excitement/ energy this franchise has produced. I’m sadly entertained by it. Hopefully I find a new nfl team to fill the oilers void but I doubt it

10 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

does anyone actually have faith the braintrust of tommy boy, easter bunny, and Cassio are going to turn this around? I've lost all interest in this team....only thing that can turn it back around is Deshaun staying

Deshaun staying won’t turn it around. We saw what that looks like already - 4-12 with potential to be worse.

55 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Deshaun staying won’t turn it around. We saw what that looks like already - 4-12 with potential to be worse.

Yeah, we just saw what happens to a great QB when he is expected to carry the whole team: 33-9. And Mahomes has more weapons than DeShaun has, but it doesn't make a shit if you've got no OL. 

So far the Texans seem unaware of the first rule of holes because right now they are digging their deeper at a furious pace. Graveyard of careers right now; it's the sort of place only the worst in their fields -- whether that be defensive ends or front office personnel -- will want to go to.

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

I have to assume that he didn’t have any trade market at all for them to release him? I guess his contract and age pretty much made him unreadable.

All of that plus doing him a solid for being an awesome player and representative of the team. It’s the right thing to do. 

Just now, Machinator said:

They did the "classy thing" but it rings hollow in light of everything else the organization has done in recent memory.

No they didn't. They don't want him because he has spoken out and criticized the organization multiple times in the last few years. They want him gone. They don't care about talent. They don't care about value to the community. They care about Loyalty. That's how cults work.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pasken said:

No they didn't. They don't want him because he has spoken out and criticized the organization multiple times in the last few years. They want him gone. They don't care about talent. They don't care about value to the community. They care about Loyalty. That's how cults work.

Probably true, but they are spinning this as if they are doing him a solid. And the decision-makers in that building probably believe it, too.

Edited by Machinator

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So we are pulling an Astros tank, but with less competent leadership, so it'll take twice as long to rebuild.

I don't think you can even call it "less competent leadership." That completely undersells the chasm between Crane/Lunhow and McNair/Easterby or whoever.

Lunhow had a calculated plan. He executed it almost flawlessly (Mark Appel over Kris Bryant notwithstanding). People bitched about it, but it was always the most direct line to turning that franchise into a winner. That franchise was run with extreme competence. 

The Texans are a clown show. They spent 2 decades trying to get a true franchise QB, and they are running him off after a few seasons. They have completely mismanaged the roster, failed to appropriately value draft capital, don't seem to understand how to even value players. Now they're apparently letting non-football clergymen and character coaches call the shots. Whatever is happening there is batshit crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I knew this was coming but Goddamn it hurts. Watson is sure to follow and this team will have zero stars and zero interest. I lost interest when they made BOB GM and then traded D Hop. The writing was on the wall then but holy shit this is step by step instructions on how to ruin an entire organization that could do nothing wrong with the city. JJ to the Packers or Steelers?

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

They definitely could have got a draft pick for him. Idiots.

According to multiple media sources anyone calling in from various teams (largely to do with Watson of course) the Texans just hang up the phone. They probably “tried” calling a team about Watt and that’s about it. Even though his skills have declined, I have nothing but respect for Watt and hope he makes it on with a decent team. 

39 minutes ago, Pasken said:

No they didn't. They don't want him because he has spoken out and criticized the organization multiple times in the last few years. They want him gone. They don't care about talent. They don't care about value to the community. They care about Loyalty.

That's how cults work.

Bingo.

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

They definitely could have got a draft pick for him. Idiots.

Not really. This is cut and paste from LZ:

"Watt will be 32 in March, has played in just 48 of his team's last 80 games, had 5.5 sacks over 16 games this year & his contract called for him to make $17.5M in 2021. Covid likely to cut total salary cap as well. Why would teams want to trade instead of wait for the cut?"

If you trade for him, you owe him $17.5M; if he doesn't want to go to your team, he retires; his destination teams know they can get him for cheaper than $17.5M and w/o losing picks.

In isolation, this is a typical football cap saving event that happens with many aging superstars - it just looks really bad to the average fan because of the dumpster fire on Kirby.  55, 59, and 15 likely next.

• Hook 'Em 1