25th Amendment- 2nd Impeachment

Hugo Stiglitz

21 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pelosi's such a schlub to let the squad beat her to the punch.

Go away, old lady.

By not acting more decisively, at least behind closed doors, the House now has competing sets of articles of impeachment to choose among, which invites a needless delay.

I haven't compared the sets, but I'm guessing Lieu & Cos. is better than the Squads, is better than SJLs.  And there may be more.

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe if the others spent less time tweeting and more time impeaching they would have beat her to the punch?

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It’s unbelievable to me that this post is dead serious. But you’re spot on. In fucking America - this is happening. This guy will go down as one of our biggest embarrassments, worst President (by far), and I’m slightly nervous every minute he remains in office. 

Unfortunately, we're going to have to wait until his term expires.

Edited by David Dennison

26 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It’s unbelievable to me that this post is dead serious. But you’re spot on. In fucking America - this is happening. This guy will go down as one of our biggest embarrassments, worst President (by far), and I’m slightly nervous every minute he remains in office. 

This perspective is shared; why again is she in charge?

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

His district includes Salem, the southern burbs of Portland and the coast.  That's a fairly mixed constituency, but wtf.

I scratch my head sometimes and think, didn't they pause before hitting send? Proofreading is critical you know.

Or have all the aides been usurped by infiltrators who are going to pick them off one by one with drumming up controversy so they resign? (Democratic joke here because only Democrats resign, Republicans double down)

Forget noble things like leadership for a moment, any Pub in the Senate with the slightest bit of presidential aspirations either in 2024 or down the line would be a dumbfuck politician to not decapitate their most serious primary challenger in 2024 and work to put a bullet in the Trump family politically.  

You Stockholm Syndrome motherfuckers are gonna be handed a key to the cell door....

Edited by Surly Bevo

10 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

This is where I am at. The capital mob and his lack of response, and then tweets supporting the mob are ENOUGH to impeach him, but it's like we are forgetting the other 12 fucking he did the past two months that deserve impeachment 

And that was just this week!

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This perspective is shared; why again is she in charge?

she doesn't lack imagination, well i don't think so. she just didn't envision a scene where someone in the corporate mafia was going to be taken away from the table kicking and screaming. its a deep down emotional connection and admittance of guilt IMO.

too soon? or do we wait for the nukes to fly? getting bumpy in here

paging @Anastasis to the bothsides phone

tenor.gif?itemid=15570718

Edited by staboner

So it appears the House will impeach him this week, but McConnell already laying down bullshit procedure stuff, saying they can’t meet until January 19th, and then likely trial will take many days, and of course Schumer will take over January 20th and it will be up to him. 

I am not a lawyer, but it seems that a "bright line" was crossed on Tuesday, though it probably was crossed well before.  I just wonder why no one has been talking about it using this term.  And while the inciting the insurrection in itself is enough, can the the many public acts leading Tuesday (pressuring Pence, pressuring state and local officials in Georgia and other states) add to the fact pattern?

Just now, Snake Diggity said:

Bill Clinton was impeached for lying about getting a beej (who among us, amirite).  Trump’s activity last week fucking qualifies.

As does his activity of asking Raffenberger to find 11K votes and recalculate the votes 

Trump getting de-platformed from social media helps a lot on reducing the body count before he is removed from power but the sense of urgency by Dems is still needed.  

I am operating under the theory that the swifter action is taken the more likely a favorable outcome.  Do give the republicans time to circle their wagons around gaslighting nonsense talking points.  Rhetorically punch these nazis in the face right now with extreme prejudice. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Hook 'Em 3

i have not read this entire thread, but the later posts seem to be concentrated on impeachment, for obvious reasons.  but i have a few questions about the 25th, if anyone has any depth of knowledge about it.

so everyone is clamoring for pence to invoke the 25th amendment, removing trump from office immediately.  got it.  but how does that work?  my understanding is that it would take a vote (majority?) of the cabinet.  and i assume this vote is done in private/secret?  so let's say they get the majority (which seems harder and harder with cabinet members resigning), then what?  again, my understanding is since he's conscious, and will obviously disagree, then trump can somehow challenge it, and then it goes to the house or some shit.

also, if pence wants to do it and asks around and figures out he doesn't have the votes in the cabinet, then he obviously won't put it to an official vote, right?  i've heard people say "pence needs to invoke the 25th, even if it gets voted down."  impeachment works this way, but i was under the impression that the 25th does not.  if they don't have the votes and remove him, then we won't even hear about pence invoking the 25th (meaning he could've already tried by now, through calls and texts).  also i assume if pence does do this, regardless of whether it's successful, he'll paint a big fucking target on his back, so i get not wanting to do it.

so does anyone know the actual logistics of this thing?  i know it probably won't happen, but i'm curious about the inner-workings of what might've happened already.  also if he's removed using this, does that exclude him from 2024 eligibility?  i know in most realities, that sentence is bonkers, but here we are.

tl; dr - the 25th amendment, how does it work?  does pence have to fuck around in order to find out?

Pence and the cabinet vote on it - need a majority

Trump has some small period of time (4 days i think?) to challenge it

It goes to Congress, who has 21 days to rule in favor of Trump or Pence.

Two big questions and SCOTUS will likely have to rule on them - is Pence president during the 21 days or is Trump still POTUS?  And the other question is - are acting secretaries able to vote on the 25th amendment question? 

16 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i have not read this entire thread, but the later posts seem to be concentrated on impeachment, for obvious reasons.  but i have a few questions about the 25th, if anyone has any depth of knowledge about it.

so everyone is clamoring for pence to invoke the 25th amendment, removing trump from office immediately.  got it.  but how does that work?  my understanding is that it would take a vote (majority?) of the cabinet.  

Not necessarily.  You need (1) the vice president and (2) either a majority of the cabinet or  "other body as Congress may by law provide."  I think some of the wrangling was about passing a law to provide for that "other body," which I'm not sure if anyone knows exactly what that language means.  But I think there was some thought by the congressional dems that since  there essentially is no cabinet and the people who are still there are sycophants in on the insurrection, appointing the "other body" could be an out.  You would only need a majority of both houses of congress to establish the "body."

That said, while maybe they should work on this also, every second trump is in power he is in danger, and I can't believe the House hasn't voted on impeachment yet.

Edited by lemonlime

Incitement of Insurrection is the more obvious charge after what happened on Wednesday, but I would have gone for election fraud, since that is easiest to prove, and still easily rises to the level of impeachment. Plus, hundreds of republicans are very publicly on the record stating just how serious the fraud in the election was.

12 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Incitement of Insurrection is the more obvious charge after what happened on Wednesday, but I would have gone for election fraud, since that is easiest to prove, and still easily rises to the level of impeachment. Plus, hundreds of republicans are very publicly on the record stating just how serious the fraud in the election was.

Pretty sure the Raffensperger shit is in there, right?

you can read the resolution here online:

https://degette.house.gov/sites/degette.house.gov/files/Impeachment Resolution.pdf

the accusation is:

"Donald John Trump engaged in high Crimes and Misdemeanors by willfully inciting violence against the Government of the United States."

The rest of the document mostly describes the lead up to the event and lays out the reasons behind the accusation.

Edited by Texas Jeff