2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

45 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Casey Thompson is not leaving for the NFL after one good season. It would require a historically great year for the NFL to consider him a first round pick after one year at the helm. Like Heisman finalist, put his name in the ring of honor great.

Mark Sanchez was drafted with the fifth pick in the first round after one good season.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

14 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Mark Sanchez was drafted with the fifth pick in the first round after one good season.  

Casey is like 5-11, 200 lbs. Unless he looks like Kyler Murray out there, he ain't gonna generate that kind of draft buzz.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Casey Thompson is not leaving for the NFL after one good season. It would require a historically great year for the NFL to consider him a first round pick after one year at the helm. Like Heisman finalist, put his name in the ring of honor great.

Winning Nfl Draft GIF by SportsManias

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Josh Allen threw for a whooping 16 TDs his Junior year. And 6 INTs. 

28 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Casey is like 5-11, 200 lbs. Unless he looks like Kyler Murray out there, he ain't gonna generate that kind of draft buzz.

I think he has enough arm and athleticism to garner NFL attention. I also think he knocks it out the park in interviews. If he can perform how he did against Colorado consistently in the Big12, he would definitely generate some buzz. Jalen Hurts went in the 2nd round pretty much off of intangibles and athleticism. 

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Like historically great Mitch Trubisky? Who can forget his storied career at *checks notes* North Carolina. Can't wait for the 30 for 30.

I don't think Casey Thompson leaves after this season but mainly because he doesn't have NFL measurables. QBs with limited experience declare early after moderately successful seasons all the time.  

It’s going to be very hard (as it is always is with FCB) to take Chip Brown’s reporting seriously regarding the QB battle considering how close he is with Thompson’s dad. He’s had him on the 247 podcast, talks to him frequently and you can tell he’s getting spoon fed info about Casey from the amount of detail he goes into regarding his schedule, etc.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I think he has enough arm and athleticism to garner NFL attention. I also think he knocks it out the park in interviews. If he can perform how he did against Colorado consistently in the Big12, he would definitely generate some buzz. Jalen Hurts went in the 2nd round pretty much off of intangibles and athleticism. 

No way he generates first round buzz. He’s short and doesn’t have a great arm. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m not engaging on this point after this post because y’all are just making the point for me.

Mark Sanchez was thought of as the next Carson Palmer/Matt Lienart at USC. He got the benefit of the doubt from having played in that program and having a prototypical frame. He also had a better QB rating his Junior year then anyone at Texas since Colt McCoy, and his team went 12-1 and finished #2. Even if Casey Thompson walked out and outperformed Sam Ehlinger next year, he isn’t getting the kind of pedigree bonus Sanchez got.
200.gif

If Thompson leads Texas to 11-1 record, receiving All American accolades, and throws 33 TDS vs 3 INTs at a 70 percent clip, I think that’d qualify as historically great, yeah? That’s Vince and Colt territory. Also, again NFL scouts will always, always go for the big white boy that throw ball far.
Josh Allen threw for a whooping 16 TDs his Junior year. And 6 INTs. 

Josh Allen didn’t come out after one year, is 6’5” 240 pounds, and has generational arm strength. Casey Thompson coming out after one year as a starter would be none of those things.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Like historically great Mitch Trubisky? Who can forget his storied career at *checks notes* North Carolina. Can't wait for the 30 for 30.
I don't think Casey Thompson leaves after this season but mainly because he doesn't have NFL measurables. QBs with limited experience declare early after moderately successful seasons all the time.  

You answered it yourself - he had measurables that Thompson never will, that’s why he was getting the first round buzz and came out. If Thompson replicated Trubisky’svseason, which I think we would all be pleasantly surprised with but not consider historically great, he would not get the kind of draft grade that would lead him to leave. NFL loves their measurables.

18 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Im nobody. Ive been around for 20 years but havent tried to cultivate any kind of online character. I post if I have thoughts that I havent seen posted. I dont care if you remember that the same guy has thoughts in the Fort Worth thread or wherever else on here

You are the worst poster on this site. You offer nothing but lame trolling attempts that sidetrack whichever thread the board is unlucky enough to have you follow.  EG this current attempt to "gotcha" me about Jatavion Sanders playing time, like the 12 total tackles he accumulated his senior year negate the point that the dude has shown zero interest in playing defense or being the dominant pass rusher people here have projected him to be.

Do you feel like your bringing real value to this discussion? No, you're just being a fucking cocksucker.  Unless you're like actually mentally slow or something in which case I apologize for engaging you.

The board has an ignore feature. Use it.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, JFKFC said:

This is the defining statement on Herman. I've paid attention to football longer than I would like to admit, and I've never seen a coach who was at war against their own success more than Tom. 

Pete beat me to it:

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

John Mackovic did it seemingly every game, but at least he won a conference championship. Tom Herman would never allow his team to score enough points every week to win a championship.

Strong: McWilliams::Herman:Mackovic

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

You answered it yourself - he had measurables that Thompson never will, that’s why he was getting the first round buzz and came out. If Thompson replicated Trubisky’svseason, which I think we would all be pleasantly surprised with but not consider historically great, he would not get the kind of draft grade that would lead him to leave. NFL loves their measurables.

Nope, you made a blanket statement about how the limiting factor for Thompson declaring early would be his lack of experience. You were given plenty of examples how this is wrong. 

If you feel like Thompson isn't a risk to declare because of his measurables you should have probably said that. You wouldn't have gotten any pushback on that. The point everyone is pushing back against is the experience part. 

27 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

I’m not kidding, that boy’s head is like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts! He’ll be crying himself to sleep tonight, on his huge pillow.

Look at the size of it. It's like an orange on a toothpick!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

John Mackovic did it seemingly every game, but at least he won a conference championship. Tom Herman would never allow his team to score enough points every week to win a championship.

There is a difference between Mackovic & Herman. Mackovic had an offensive philosophy, and he wouldn't deviate from it. Even when his personnel would lend itself better to a different offensive strategy, he didn't want to change. Herman wanted constant change for the sake of change, even if it was nonsensical. Bijan is killing it in the first quarter of the bowl game? Let's keep him off the field the rest of the half. Golic was openly shocked that Bijan was kept out of the game for so long after a dominant start. Mackovic, for all of his faults, wouldn't have made that change. 

17 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Something Casey will be thinking about is Card getting better behind him. 

Casey gets his years experience. Strikes while the iron is hot. Or he's one injury or Card just getting better and taking his job, from him never seeing the field at Texas again. 

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Vegas knows way better than talking heads on ESPNU radio, but those guys really love Georgia this year as 'their year'

Well, I for one would love to see Sark & Co use this season as a stepping stone to the Playoffs by getting to the Sugar Bowl and beating the shit outta a “pre-destined” Jawja team...again. 🙃
I can tell you one thing; there’d be no turtling when they’re up by 17/20, whatever it was...🤘🏻

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

As we’ve posted, the program is back to normal when it comes to workouts and player driven practices. This means the elder statesmen are teaching the new players basic install.

For defense, that means going back to the 1990’s and a 4-3 defense. There is a Sam in this defense, and we might even see him on Saturdays because it’s typically a pressure look. Often that player is a blitzer. We mentioned this in the spring when Terrence Cooks showed promise in a few practices. That promise is carrying over and right now he’s working behind David Gbenda a Will (the old school Mike).

One thing we mentioned in the spring was we expected Overshown at Mike and Gbenda at Will. We still expect that, but Overshown also has potential at Sam. Keeping in mind what was just written, it’s not hard to imagine Overshown being a blur as a blitzer. The current first team Will is Luke Brockermeyer. When IT mentioned he was clocking damn near 20 mph in practice we weren’t kidding. We don’t expect him to hold off Overshown but we do expect him to play this year.

While the depth chart isn’t important right now, we will note that it looks like BJ Foster is back with the first team. We expect the competition between he and Brenden Schooler to play out into the season, but we also expect both to play, often at the same time.

As far as initial returns on the new guys — they look the part. On Ja’Tavion Sanders, ”he is big.” Emphasis was lost in this quote, but the source’s meaning was, ”not tight end big.”

We’ll have some notes on the offense in the coming days. We can say overall, team buy-in is high, which is important because the program is going to host a boat load of recruits this month and players are your best, or worst, advocates.

29 minutes ago, Machinator said:

As far as initial returns on the new guys — they look the part. On Ja’Tavion Sanders, ”he is big.” Emphasis was lost in this quote, but the source’s meaning was, ”not tight end big.”

Can anybody parse what this means for me?