All Encompassing Mortgage and Real Estate Thread

UTPhil2006

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Holy shit.

Neighbor  just listed @ >2x his purchase price from mid 2010s.  Didn't even wait for a bidding war, took an all cash offer after the first showing. Jesus Christ can't wait till TCAD gets a hold of that shit.    

Westover Hills? 

Austin’s median home price hit $550K this month. Up 10% from two months ago.

When I was out for a walk earlier, I talked to a realtor who said a house in Crestview on Arroyo Seco just sold for $170K over list. I assume this is the one since it’s the only listing on that street. Quite a steal for $570K.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5703-Arroyo-Seco_Austin_TX_78756_M84154-04616

On 5/13/2021 at 11:31 PM, immamac said:

I'm exploring a partnership with a builder for my property in zilker. 

Have a market price on "equity in" as my contribution, the builder builds on his dime and with his crew as his "equity in" on a cost model. 50/50 share of the profits after each party gets made whole on equity in. 

When I started exploring this in January I said 750k equity in (lower than market, but that's the point for both of us because theoretically I get the build at cost not cost +10%). I'm up to 915k now and the builder agreed that was still below market. 

2 tear downs with significantly smaller lots sold for 865 and 849 respectively within the last 30 days. 

Estimated post construction sale price of 2.2-2.4M, meaning if he spent 800k on the build we would both share 500-700k.  Kicker is I said I'd want to 1031 the whole gain into another, builder said he's game. 

Is this my in to residential flipping? Is this a stupid idea? Property cash flows about 700/mo after expenses and PITI for a caprate above 12% right now. 

I guess my biggest question is... if the builder goes belly up and the unit is half built... what is the ultimate outcome?  You are fucked?  Just because I saw a few folks get burned in the last RE downturn.  

I am trying to figure out the best way to protect myself in a potentialCondo partnership remodel.  It was damaged in the storm, and is a little 1/1.  It's in a trust, and I worry about doing anything without a clear exit should she croak, or become completely debilitated.  The main reason I am considering it, is that I have been helping her out with her mom's house which I truly covet.  I am thinking if I can get her to do a deal with me on the Condo perhaps I can parlay that into a purchase of the House.  I would remodel that house and make it my homestead while living a couple doors down supervising the remodel.

Right now she is still sitting waiting for the insurance companies to duke it out.  And the think is sitting with mold on all the walls, and needs to be gutted.  The place is small at like 800 sq ft and could look really nice with some attention to detail.  I am going to quote her for a rental grade remodel with laminate and crap appliances and a sale grade remodel with granite and upgrades throughout.  I also thought about funding the remodel myself, with a contract for sale at a predetermined price to protect my investment.  Adding an addendum to list the home splitting the profit beyond my option price for a certain time period, to protect her from losing out on potential upside.

Not honestly sure if I really want to do it.  But I would kill to get the house a few doors down, so if I could roll that in somehow, with and If/then scenario I would do damn near anything.  Mainly I want to be fair.  She's an old lady, and a hoarder and she really needs to either sell these properties, or get income from renting them.  I would help her go either direction for the right price.

On 5/20/2021 at 3:08 PM, Armybrat said:

Could someone please advise where I can look to see what the sold price is for this house?

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/9103-Brimstone-Ln_Austin_TX_78717_M86656-46642

that is one ugly ass kitchen and living with the red brick fireplace.  Hell the house isn't even red brick.  Could be pretty nice with a light remodel though.  

Looking for a little help off of the traditional path. My newly graduated son got an entry level construction management job at Texas Medical Center and we need to find him an apartment. Does anyone have a locator recommendation to make it any easier? Been in the Austin area all of my life and have no clue where to start fire Houston. I think he's hoping to stay in the $650-750 range and knows he'll have to commute. I doubt mind co-signing.

5 hours ago, Catpfish said:

Looking for a little help off of the traditional path. My newly graduated son got an entry level construction management job at Texas Medical Center and we need to find him an apartment. Does anyone have a locator recommendation to make it any easier? Been in the Austin area all of my life and have no clue where to start fire Houston. I think he's hoping to stay in the $650-750 range and knows he'll have to commute. I doubt mind co-signing.

Har.com has a good portal look through rentals.  I’ll DM you an agent I’ve used for other areas that I think covers downtown too. 

Single?  If so, I think he’d get more bang for his buck finding a roommate. In his shoes, I’d want to be close to downtown attractions and not have a long commute.  Might be hard to find in that price range that isn’t a little sketchy. However, if he’s already married, fuck it, might as well live in a a nicer apartment 1.5 hours away. His life is already over anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Specifically where to live depends on preferences and such - plenty of good options reasonably close to the job - but to get anything decent at that price point he’s going to need a roommate or two for sure.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I"m going to look at an RV storage place tomorrow.  For anyone interested in working together on a land deal, I and another investor are looking at buying or building from scratch:

1. storage units

2. RV storage

3. RV/MH hookup properties

4. Multi-family

If you have past expertise with any of these areas, and are interested, let me know. 

On 5/17/2021 at 8:15 AM, CHIEF said:

Most employees of major commercial contractors get a per diem. Most of them buy an RV to live in, and pocket the remainder of the per diem. That will be my target customer. The land I'm looking at should keep me full for the next 10-15 years. My uncle that sold the storage facility will be my primary investor to take down the land cost. I'm sure it will take 6 months to a year to get the proper permits and the engineering done.

CHIEF

Yep.  Several of my employees do this.  They pay for their monthly rent with 2-3 per diems and can bank the rest.

On 5/13/2021 at 10:31 PM, immamac said:

I'm exploring a partnership with a builder for my property in zilker. 

Have a market price on "equity in" as my contribution, the builder builds on his dime and with his crew as his "equity in" on a cost model. 50/50 share of the profits after each party gets made whole on equity in. 

When I started exploring this in January I said 750k equity in (lower than market, but that's the point for both of us because theoretically I get the build at cost not cost +10%). I'm up to 915k now and the builder agreed that was still below market. 

2 tear downs with significantly smaller lots sold for 865 and 849 respectively within the last 30 days. 

Estimated post construction sale price of 2.2-2.4M, meaning if he spent 800k on the build we would both share 500-700k.  Kicker is I said I'd want to 1031 the whole gain into another, builder said he's game. 

Is this my in to residential flipping? Is this a stupid idea? Property cash flows about 700/mo after expenses and PITI for a caprate above 12% right now. 

I'd be very careful with this.  Will the builder pay for all improvements in cash, or will he expect to be able to use the house as collateral for a construction loan?  What happens if he fucks up and quits halfway through?  What if he runs out of money or can't get a loan to finish?  Most smaller builders aren't going to have that kind of cash lying around.  He's going to want to use the house to get a loan.  If you still have a mortgage, this might be an issue.

Not saying it can't work, but there's a lot of risk here for you. How well do you know the builder and how much do you trust him?

5 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Should put 5 % down on a condo with the son in the Med Center and have his roommate pay whatever it takes to get down to 650-700 per month.

Yeah I like this idea. If you’re planning on making up the difference in rent from 650-750, you’re probably going to hit 5% of a condo or maybe even a home. Might as well have your portion be essentially an equity gift. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Should put 5 % down on a condo with the son in the Med Center and have his roommate pay whatever it takes to get down to 650-700 per month.

Seriously if you got the money to subsidize him that much, go the condo angle.  Make it at least a 2/2 so he can get a roommate once he meets enough people and then that guys pays for most of the mortgage.  Then it’s either an investment property for you or a starter home/equity for him.

Thanks for all of the help.  I might just supplement his rent for the first year until he figures out the areas and what he's going to do with raises, girlfriend, etc.

Yeah I like this idea. If you’re planning on making up the difference in rent from 650-750, you’re probably going to hit 5% of a condo or maybe even a home. Might as well have your portion be essentially an equity gift. 

Seriously if you got the money to subsidize him that much, go the condo angle.  Make it at least a 2/2 so he can get a roommate once he meets enough people and then that guys pays for most of the mortgage.  Then it’s either an investment property for you or a starter home/equity for him.

Yeah listen to these guys. If you’re still going to be paying his housing expenses at this point you should might as well get something out of it.

6 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:
On 5/21/2021 at 9:47 AM, Enchubben said:
anyone getting their isettle responses back from HCAD?

Hays or Harris? If Hays, I got mine a few hours after submitting my protest.

Harris -I should have clarified. I think they are just behind, just odd since I submitted mine like first few days it was available and others that submitted late already have results back. LIFO I guess.

Harris -I should have clarified. I think they are just behind, just odd since I submitted mine like first few days it was available and others that submitted late already have results back. LIFO I guess.
Not that it means much, but last year I submitted mine in April and didn't hear back from the CAD until November.

6 hours ago, bluto said:

Putting son on the deed qualifies for homestead/cap gains advantages? Or is it just a % qualifying.

Yes. It also allows for 5% down instead of 20, and a lower interest rate. It goes from investment property house to non owner occupied co-borrower. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Getting ready to purchase some land 20-30 acres in east or central texas if the view is right. Anything I should know from those who have done it before? I'm familiarizing myself with the minerals rights stuff.

If it matters I'm a Texas resident but live in Florida. Looking to pay cash for the land and then build "the" house on it.

Thanks for all of the replies.  We ended up finding a decent apartment within a couple of minutes of the Medical Center for a couple of hundred dollars more than he budgeted.  Apartments are being renovated so they are pretty nice (for downtown).  I'll cover that for the first year until he is sure that's where he's going to be for a while (project is supposed to be completed next year), find a roommate, etc.  We'll revisit the condo idea as we get near the end of the lease.  We didn't really have time as he starts on Tuesday.

22 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Getting ready to purchase some land 20-30 acres in east or central texas if the view is right. Anything I should know from those who have done it before? I'm familiarizing myself with the minerals rights stuff.

If it matters I'm a Texas resident but live in Florida. Looking to pay cash for the land and then build "the" house on it.

You could try looking around on this site:

https://www.primeranchland.com

3 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/1911-E-10th-St-78702/home/31370993

Info from realtor is accepted price is 2.3 which makes this more than 1000/sqft! wow

Damn... I can't believe what people are willing to pay given the property tax rates (my "poors" thinking right here).  People got some dough laying around.

This is not a surly humblebrag.  This is just mid boggling. The market where we live has gotten absolutely maniacal.  A house 3 doors down, a nice, but fairly simple Spanish style.  3/2, 2,000 sf. listed for $1.2 mil a few weeks ago.  My wife and I laughed, thinking the broker got the listing by promising a sale price way above reality.  Well it had an “in escrow” sign on it 3 days later.  We found out yesterday it sold over asking.  How much over asking?  $430k over asking.  $1.639 mil.  That is just stupid.  

D90349C5-79BF-4F26-AF2F-D4349496A013.gif

14 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

This is not a surly humblebrag.  This is just mid boggling. The market where we live has gotten absolutely maniacal.  A house 3 doors down, a nice, but fairly simple Spanish style.  3/2, 2,000 sf. listed for $1.2 mil a few weeks ago.  My wife and I laughed, thinking the broker got the listing by promising a sale price way above reality.  Well it had an “in escrow” sign on it 3 days later.  We found out yesterday it sold over asking.  How much over asking?  $430k over asking.  $1.639 mil.  That is just stupid.  

D90349C5-79BF-4F26-AF2F-D4349496A013.gif

It's stuff like this that would concern me. It's great if you are selling and leaving the area, if not, suddenly its just costing me a crap ton more per year to live in same house.  Salaries surely aren't matching the housing increases. 

22 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It's stuff like this that would concern me. It's great if you are selling and leaving the area, if not, suddenly its just costing me a crap ton more per year to live in same house.  Salaries surely aren't matching the housing increases. 

Well, the homestead exemption in Texas tends to guard against that type of cost increase.  Of course, it also means you're stuck, and the taxing authorities tend to have creative ways to screw you, regardless.

56 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Not here.  Prop 13 locks my tax rate to my purchase price in 2002.

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I mean it has to, right?

Only if we see a move towards majority remote working and wide availability of high speed broadband then you might see more people moving to midsized cities.  Until then…it ain’t going down in the central urban areas.  Suburbs might but even that’s not a sure thing.

13 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/1911-E-10th-St-78702/home/31370993

Info from realtor is accepted price is 2.3 which makes this more than 1000/sqft! wow

45 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I wonder how many of them don’t realize they just moved to the face of the sun. I can’t wait for the bitching in a month.

haha right... that listing above has a lovely completely uncovered rooftop deck and an adorable outdoor dining nook... they probably have visions of all the al fresco dining they'll be doing lolol.

Texas, the land of fire and flood, with a couple of glorious weeks sprinkled in between.